ADVERTISEMENT

Why is CCS Open Division in Santa Cruz?

EthanRKassel

Superstar
Feb 22, 2016
I have a pretty reliable source that said Santa Clara had absolutely zero interest in hosting this year’s championships in both basketball and soccer … “because of covid.”

Covid has become an excuse for anything you don’t want to do.

This is par for the course for Santa Clara. This is the same school that conveniently decided to limit crowds for their two biggest home men’s basketball games of the year (Gonzaga and BYU). They made their own decision to do so, completely independent of county regulations. Quite the coincidence that they chose to limit crowds to season ticket holders and students when they were facing the two teams that draw the most road fans.

Hopefully Portland gives the Broncos what they deserve tomorrow.

Reactions: FBAddict and NCS707
I have a pretty reliable source that said Santa Clara had absolutely zero interest in hosting this year’s championships in both basketball and soccer … “because of covid.”

Covid has become an excuse for anything you don’t want to do.

This is par for the course for Santa Clara. This is the same school that conveniently decided to limit crowds for their two biggest home men’s basketball games of the year (Gonzaga and BYU). They made their own decision to do so, completely independent of county regulations. Quite the coincidence that they chose to limit crowds to season ticket holders and students when they were facing the two teams that draw the most road fans.

Hopefully Portland gives the Broncos what they deserve tomorrow.
I know it's not a "big arena" like SCU or Kaiser but I always thought Foothill college was a good place for CCS. Centrally located, parking, large enough. I think CCS would have dreaded their decision if SI (boys and girls) could have pulled off upsets the other night. BTW, I've never seen Kaiser but heard it's just a tent with bleachers. True?

Last edited:
I know it's not a "big arena" like SCU or Kaiser but I always thought Foothill college was a good place for CCS. Centrally located, parking, large enough. I think CCS would have dreaded their decision if SI (boys and girls) could have pulled off upsets the other night. BTW, I've never seen Kaiser but heard it's just a tent with bleachers. True?
More like a tall warehouse with a tent like material on the top. Not much to look at from the outside, but it’s a pretty cool arena with stadium seats and upper bleacher benches with an NBA quality floor and every seat is a good one.

I know a guy who was there the other night... Didn't say anything about what the outside looks like, but then you play games INside. He says it's a really solid midsize arena, great viewing angles, no bad seats...

But yeah, I get the whole location thing... What if one or both of the games had been Riordan v. SI, for example? I wonder if CCS had a planned spot in mind for just such a case, like maybe Kezar?

Foothill is WAY too frickin' hot when full. Antiquated facility. Screw Santa Clara University. Scumbags refuse to play a road game in order to cheat their way out of a possible matchup with Gonzaga until WCC Tournament championship.

More like a tall warehouse with a tent like material on the top. Not much to look at from the outside, but it’s a pretty cool arena with stadium seats and upper bleacher benches with an NBA quality floor and every seat is a good one.
Venue was quite nice and staff was friendly. Again, just an inconvenient location.

As for Kezar, the San Francisco championships were held there on Friday night, as they are every year. USF would have been difficult with the women at home Saturday. Chase Center may have been possible if someone had an extra $250,000 lying around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT