ADVERTISEMENT

2 minor league baseball teams to test game with 5-pitch rule

I think it's a dumb premise. We played a doubleheader today and both games were under two hours. We sprint on and off the field, let catchers call pitches, throw the ball back to the pitcher after outs, and pitch to contact. Our pitchers work fast, they have a modified lift in our stretch, and rarely pick (unless it's a balk move
wink.r191677.gif
). Guys love it and it can be duplicated at any level.

They are ruining our game!!

I went to a Triple-A game the other night complete with pitch clock. I HATED IT!!

They can take this crap and shove it where it don't shine.

TD- I kind of liken it to my favorite John Wooden saying- "be quick but don't hurry". There are ways to speed up the game with tempo without rushing.

That's my favorite John Wooden saying too.

As for speed up, as long as pitcher-catcher 5 pitch (between innings) is enforced, games should move along fine. Infield/outfield warming up between innings, overrated. In fact, I prefer to send pitcher out right away after 3rd out and have bench catcher on-the-ready (very important to me). I like to gather all my defenses player (minus pitcher and catcher) together before sending them out to field. In interim, pitcher has got his warm-ups, umpire happy and game proceeds accordingly.

I also agree with a "quality" team and proper coaching, catchers should be able to start calling their own game by time they are 14. I like my best athletes in short and center, and smartest player behind the plate. Mistakes are made, but remedied on bench in between innings. I only take over calling pitches, if I see something that the catcher cant see (a trend). In that instance, we have a signal.

I also meet with my kids (minus lead-off batter), after the third out. I make sure they hustle in and out. Umpires see this and I believe will put in a better effort when they see team hustling in and out.

I really try to get across to my kids to think like a coach, not as a spectator. it's great satistacion when they are thinking and communicating a play or two ahead.

There are so many ways to move a game faster - the stuff they're implementing are about the worst ways I can think of. That dam* pitch clock was downright distracting as heck. Absolutely hated it.

Are there ways to speed up tempo for players/teams who don't want to outside of pitch clocks or rules?

Giants games should be quicker now without Sandoval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uW4Se7i1f0

NCSF,

Yes, I read the post and agree with the philosophy, but I think there are players and teams who don't want to duplicate it. I think back to a guy like Steve Trachsel or certain hitters who like to slow down a pitcher.

NCSF,

Yes, I read the post and agree with the philosophy, but I think there are players and teams who don't want to duplicate it. I think back to a guy like Steve Trachsel or certain hitters who like to slow down a pitcher.

But that is part of the game and I love all the mind games being played. Umpire can control pace if anything gets out of hand and I've seen that happen. Even that is a part of the game I love.

This timing BS is for the birds. I hate it.

But that is part of the game and I love all the mind games being played. Umpire can control pace if anything gets out of hand and I've seen that happen. Even that is a part of the game I love.

This timing BS is for the birds. I hate it.
They used to call Hargrove the human rain delay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT