ADVERTISEMENT

2022 standouts headed to Southern California Academy

Again the Thompson kid was already being recruited by some pretty good programs (pac 12) I don't see why there would have been a need to uproot to a new academic and athletic program with no prior history.

Again the Thompson kid was already being recruited by some pretty good programs (pac 12) I don't see why there would have been a need to uproot to a new academic and athletic program with no prior history.
maybe that is the issue. he wants the acc, sec, big 10 or big 12.

With all of these athletes transferring to Sports Academies, it's interesting that Riordan's Mor Seck did the opposite - transferring from DME Academy in Florida to a traditional high school - albeit with a boarding program.

Same could be said for Yaru Harvey at Sheldon . Had 3 D1 offers already and played sparingly last year. Sheldon graduated 7 seniors 4 of which were CalHi sports top 68. The team was probably all his to run this year.

Very crazy for yaru to leave as sheldon plays in many high exsposure games and tournaments if you are good enough they will find you.

Reactions: cityfan
Same could be said for Yaru Harvey at Sheldon . Had 3 D1 offers already and played sparingly last year. Sheldon graduated 7 seniors 4 of which were CalHi sports top 68. The team was probably all his to run this year.

Heat, outside or Harvey leaving have you heard of any transfers in the sac area? Delta league specifically?

Not sure what everyone is missing here and why its hard to understand, BUT we are in the middle of a pandemic. CIF schools and seasons are in SERIOUS, SERIOUS jeopardy. These kids will be getting 24/7 basketball fed to them, no CIF restrictions of when they can play, practice, or workout. They will play games at this new school regardless of what the CIF and local school districts decide. And when everyone else is getting a similar education model (distance learning) regardless of school attending, its a perfect time to go the prep school route. Sold on the connections of the coaching staff down there, while also being pitched about living in a similar setting as the “college basketball life” by being away from “home” to be left with only concentrating on studies & ball. And they are moving to sunny, beautiful Santa Clarita with all the perks of LA just down the I-5.

Not sure what everyone is missing here and why its hard to understand, BUT we are in the middle of a pandemic. CIF schools and seasons are in SERIOUS, SERIOUS jeopardy. These kids will be getting 24/7 basketball fed to them, no CIF restrictions of when they can play, practice, or workout. They will play games at this new school regardless of what the CIF and local school districts decide. And when everyone else is getting a similar education model (distance learning) regardless of school attending, its a perfect time to go the prep school route. Sold on the connections of the coaching staff down there, while also being pitched about living in a similar setting as the “college basketball life” by being away from “home” to be left with only concentrating on studies & ball. And they are moving to sunny, beautiful Santa Clarita with all the perks of LA just down the I-5.

SCA website states they are a CIF/Southern Section team.

And even if they aren't current State Health Dept mandates forbid then from playing games, just like AAU teams can't play in California

And even if they aren't current State Health Dept mandates forbid then from playing games, just like AAU teams can't play in California
Also SCA is not a school, the players still have to do distance learning.

CIF hasnt listed any restrictions. The restrictions are from the state health dept. Cancelling ALL YOUTH SPORTS indoors. The MOST a county is allowed to do is social distancing outdoors. So SCA doesnt have less restrictions than a traditional HS.

Reactions: Coach_Fields
With the NCAA recruiting dead period still being extended each month, now until 9/30. Kids might be feeling antsy about realistic and legit chances to compete and be seen. Academies have to have coaches who have real relationships with coaches, to push and promote their guys. I'm sure all these families have taken that into their decision making process. Doesnt hurt that SCA has already proven this...

i get it. just being in LA is worth it. as well as the rest. there is no promise there will even be a season because people refuse to wear mask.

it says one team plays outside of cif and the other 2 compete in southern section.

it says one team plays outside of cif and the other 2 compete in southern section.

This is the same model the legendary program Oak Hill of Virginia has used for decades. One traveling team that plays in all the big prep and the high-school tourneys that allow it (like the Les Schwab in Portland) and which cannot play in the state high-school championship, and another that plays a much more typical local schedule.

On very rare occasion, a kid who had been on the local team actually makes the bigtime team the next season, but as far as I know they never move them up from the local to the travelers during a season.

When I lived up near Portland, I saw Oak Hill quite a few times, and even saw their only loss ever in the Les Schwab... to Westchester of LA in one of the finest games I've ever seen played.

This is the same model the legendary program Oak Hill of Virginia has used for decades. One traveling team that plays in all the big prep and the high-school tourneys that allow it (like the Les Schwab in Portland) and which cannot play in the state high-school championship, and another that plays a much more typical local schedule.

On very rare occasion, a kid who had been on the local team actually makes the bigtime team the next season, but as far as I know they never move them up from the local to the travelers during a season.

When I lived up near Portland, I saw Oak Hill quite a few times, and even saw their only loss ever in the Les Schwab... to Westchester of LA in one of the finest games I've ever seen played.
West Who? neva heard of em.

Kiddman, somthing like that happened at Gridley. We booked Cornerstone Christian, thinking they had a regular H.S. Team. We got the Traveling team instead. Nightmare for us to fix, but we did.

Here's wishing you great hoops

P.S. If Gridley happens, I have a supprise for you.

One difference between Oak Hill follows national age guidelines and is as above-board about recruiting and other rules as one can get. They play in that Les Schwab tourney and other high-school tourneys around the country with no issues of that or any other kind... and have done so for decades.

If other "prep academies" would be like Oak Hill and follow the rules, it would be terrific to see them take on top high school teams in non-league games and tourneys.

Kiddman, somthing like that happened at Gridley. We booked Cornerstone Christian, thinking they had a regular H.S. Team. We got the Traveling team instead. Nightmare for us to fix, but we did.

P.S. If Gridley happens, I have a supprise for you.
Marcskit, was that the year Riordan won the Gridley title? I believe it was a Rich Forslund-coached Crusader squad led by Rob Jones and Jorge Camacho? 2006?

Last edited:
Marcskit, was that the year Riordan won the Gridley title? I believe it was a Rich Forslund-coached Crusader squad led by Rob Jones and Hector Camacho? 2006?

Yes indeed. I ran into Rob Jones at the Pro Am a few years after. He said the Tournament was one of the highlights of his playing career. That might have been my all time favorite year. Branson took cornerstone into overtime the day before. Place went crazy.
Fun Stuff.

Reactions: jordan24
Man you asking Heat? You usually have the 411; man kids are moving around and leaving like it’s the thing to do. LoL

Man you asking Heat? You usually have the 411; man kids are moving around and leaving like it’s the thing to do. LoL
Coach it’s been a weird off season no games so I am in the dark! Lol. I’m just really hoping there is a season in the spring it would be a massive blow to all the players especially the seniors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT