ADVERTISEMENT

A Straight Mockery - MM Girls Hoop in NorCal D1 finals

Considering they only had 15 players on the roster that is just wrong. Only 10 kids recorded any kind of stat in that game, so maybe there were a few more kids who got into the game, but clearly didn't play enough to stumble upon a single stat.. maybe not as suspicious as you make it sound.

Personally, I think there are very few coaches that would ever chance losing a game in order to win one in the future. If you think that coaches are going to trade the uncertainty of winning a section title for the greater uncertainty of winning a state title you're just as delusional as you think they are... I expect it from the bald personal trainer from san jose/ stockton but not from you guru

as I said I wasnt there...Im just relaying what a coach, who witnessed the game, told me.
FYI.. Maxpreps has their roster at 18 from that yr.
Im guessing that JVs were called up after JV season was done. (So they may have carried 15 for most of yr). Thus 18 is possible for CCS open. Again Im just relaying what was told to me.

Demand TRANSPARENCY from the sections and seeding committees. Why is it that the process is not explained and clarified? The SEEDING PROCESS for 2018-2019 basketball season should come as soon as this season's state championship's are completed. Let the leagues, athletic directors and coaches, know the criteria so they may plan accordingly. What is important? League Champion? Playoff Champion? Strength of schedule? Head to head? League record? Max prep rankings? etc. This should not be a guessing game

Now have the the seeding committees be ACCOUNTABLE. The committee should be able to support their decisions. Why did a league champion get seeded lower than the second place team in their own league. Or more accurately, to this thread, how did Cardinal Newman get sent to Open Division over other teams with seemingly better credentials.

Go the root cause and fix it.

unfortunately, the CIF won't cave to demands. Coaches can piss and moan as much as they want but until principals and AD's are complaining and wanting change, nothing will change. Also, you have the socal factor. The SS has the largest voting in the state (because of sheer size) and basically what they want, they usually get. As was said earlier in this thread: Add an open division to NCS and SJS. Take six teams and really examine those that didn't make it to the finals and appropriately seed them OR automatically send them to D1. That's pretty plain and simple. If you're an open NCS open team or any section, they go immediately to D1.

as I said I wasnt there...Im just relaying what a coach, who witnessed the game, told me.
FYI.. Maxpreps has their roster at 18 from that yr.
Im guessing that JVs were called up after JV season was done. (So they may have carried 15 for most of yr). Thus 18 is possible for CCS open. Again Im just relaying what was told to me.
yea i saw that on maxpreps too. Its wrong though. Also on maxpreps are the pictures from the state title game and only 15 players are in that pic. I was at that actual game as well but didn't want to rely on my memory, so I watched it again. Not every kid played, and there was little to no subs in the 4th quarter when AM went for the win. They were losing the entire game, and fought back to make it close in the end, and there is absolutely no sign of a tank.

All of this talk has been fun, but I've got MM winning by about 20 tomorrow. What does everyone else think?
I think it will be a very close game. They played close in december, and from the looks of it, SHC is playing better than they were then. Have we seen how MM shoots in bigger arenas? They rely more heavily on the 3 ball than SHC.

I would say "Vegas" would have MM as a -2.5 to -4 point favorite. And I would take SHC all day, mainly because I want WCAL champs in the top 3 div's.

I've already commented on the meaning of earlier MM 5-point victory--nothing.
haven't followed SHC, can't judge their improvement. MM is improved--their 12-player rotation involves an ongoing learning process for each player, fitting in with a cast of changing faces among the other 4 on the court. much more complicated than 7 or 8 rotation, possibly slows team development, but does a great service to most of the team. also slows chemistry improvement, which has been happening.

the other improvement involves the addition, in January, of two senior posts, 5'11 and 6'1, varsity experienced. only incumbent 5'10. MM style at both ends doesn't emphasize post play ("posts" often trapping in backcourt or perimeter, offense still perimeter focussed) but two (more) athletic kids added.

with focus on possible national champ Mitty, a shout out to Norcal's last national champ, '08 SHC. and Norcal's only bona-fide national championship game, at Arco that year. 1-point win over 33-0 SMS. putback at the buzzer. MM season ended in Stockton that year, one of MM best teams.

don't do point spreads, but I expect a close one. given the coaching, both teams' improvement is no surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnBall8
I'm not trying to read into it any further than that they were pretty even at the beginning of the season. Opposite of you, I haven't seen MM much to comment on their improvement. I hope its a close one just for entertainment purposes also

haven't followed SHC, can't judge their improvement. MM is better--their 12-player rotation involves an ongoing learning process for each player, fitting in with a cast of changing faces among the other 4 on the court. much more complicated than 7 or 8 rotation, possibly slows team development, but does a great service to most of the team. also slows chemistry improvement, which has been happening.

the other change, for the better, involves the addition, in January, of two senior posts, 5'11 and 6'1, varsity experienced. only incumbent 5'10. MM style at both ends doesn't emphasize post play ("posts" often trapping in backcourt or perimeter, offense still perimeter focussed) but two (more) athletic kids added.

with focus on possible national champ Mitty, a shout out to Norcal's last national champ, '08 SHC. and it's only bona-fide national championship game, at Arco that year. 1-point win over 33-0 SMS. putback at the buzzer.

don't do point spreads, but I expect a close one. given the coaching, both teams' improvement is no surprise.
Very good points. Bryant is a game changer inside. Another plus is the rotation has been tightened up. As mentioned the 12-player has its benefits, yet when you are in a lose or go home state contest tightening it up makes a large difference. One can argue the BOD game was lost because of too large of a rotation. It's very nice to give everyone playing time. A few of those girls did not belong on the court against BOD. Of the 4 freshmen only 1 should have ever entered the game against BOD. The same goes for a few other role players. Bryant should also be starting. She is far superior to the 5'10 girl. Complete no brainier. 8-9 girl rotation tomorrow and it's MM by 10. Less Bryant and 10+ girl rotation and it's anyone's game.

I admire the 12-player rotation, didn't mean otherwise but to suggest there's no free lunch. there's more to a season than winning your final game, even if a smaller rotation would help (not sure). I'm expecting them to ride the horse that got them there. but I ain't the coach--good thing for the kids. respected the value of participation in losses to Diamond, Carondelet, and BOD, might be a value worth losing for. anyone's game ain't so bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnBall8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT