ADVERTISEMENT

ANTIOCH----THE TEAM TO BEAT

At least you have admitted DLS does not take "most" of the talent in the area... That is progress.

There is nothing simple about DLS football success. That is a naive statement.

Actually, it's very simple. Three main components. Draw talent from the largest geographical area in the northern part of the state, superior coaching and hard work. Undefeated for 24 straight years with average talent?

it is so simple it has been duplicated .... never.

Geographics my friend........there's a big difference between simple and easy.

Believe it or not I do respect the DLS program and the hard work and dedication of it's players and coaches. I'm an old school purist and I grew up in a time when you went to the school where you lived and if it was that important to go somewhere else, one had to be tight lipped and dishonest to pull it off. I don't think it's good for high school football for one team, any team to be so dominant for so long. The thing I love most about high school football is on any given Friday night anyone can beat anyone. In games where DLS plays against a Nor Cal foe that doesn't apply.

Last edited:
I'm an old school purist and I grew up in a time when you went to the school where you lived and if it was that important to go somewhere else, one had to be tight lipped and dishonest to pull it off.

No matter how old school you are privates have always been able to take kids from out of the neighborhood. So this logic is flawed in the fact that not every private is so successful. But based on that opinion I would think you would have a serious issue with the school up the street from DLS. They after all are sucking up east bay talent and bringing in transfers at a alarming rate when compared to other institutions.

Reactions: _Molon_Labe_
No matter how old school you are privates have always been able to take kids from out of the neighborhood. So this logic is flawed in the fact that not every private is so successful. But based on that opinion I would think you would have a serious issue with the school up the street from DLS. They after all are sucking up east bay talent and bringing in transfers at a alarming rate when compared to other institutions.

No matter how committed privates like Serra and Bellarmine are they can never be as successful because they are geographically forced to divide up the private school talent pool with the rest of the WCAL.

I see CVC as a poor man's DLS. Similar talent without the discipline

No matter how committed privates like Serra and Bellarmine are they can never be as successful because they are geographically forced to divide up the private school talent pool with the rest of the WCAL.

Ok so take you thoughts out of the northern part of the state. DLS is a nationally recognized program even at the national level it's not being duplicated. And CV is a prime example of open enrollment and talent don't equal local or state dominance.

Ok so take you thoughts out of the northern part of the state. DLS is a nationally recognized program even at the national level it's not being duplicated. And CV is a prime example of open enrollment and talent don't equal local or state dominance.

Don't kid yourself there are other teams in the country that can rival DLS

You keep making this claim. I laid facts out regarding the NCP top 50 that completely refute your claim.

Try something objective for once instead of your "feelings"

Geographics my friend........there's a big difference between simple and easy.

Believe it or not I do respect the DLS program and the hard work and dedication of it's players and coaches. I'm an old school purist and I grew up in a time when you went to the school where you lived and if it was that important to go somewhere else, one had to be tight lipped and dishonest to pull it off. I don't think it's good for high school football for one team, any team to be so dominant for so long. The thing I love most about high school football is on any given Friday night anyone can beat anyone. In games where DLS plays against a Nor Cal foe that doesn't apply.

what a nice, sweet soliloquy which does not address the facts that you claim regarding DLS taking "most" of the talent.

As for as your loser mentality vs DLS, that speaks for itself.

Reactions: Indianpride45
Same old argument every (and I mean every) year. You guys all have it "half" right. To be at DLS's level on year in and year out you MUST HAVE:

Great Coaching - They do. (Indian and Pauly are right here)
Great Talent - They do. Team Talent is not measured in how many DI ships are given out but in having very talented players across the board. (Bubba is spot on here - 22 players that are better than most)
Great Kids - Kids that have bought in to the hard work and team concept.

You can be good with great coaching. You can be good with raw talent, but to be great you need them both. Even a simpleton, like me, knows that!

I have freely admitted that DLS has great coaching and great kids that work hard and buy into the program. The point I keep making is that they consistently have by far the best depth of talent in Nor Cal. No way they go undefeated for 24 years and counting without all three of those components not clicking every single year. There are a couple of cats on this forum that pour the "we do it with average talent" kool aid and refuse to admit the talent advantage. I make one inaccurate comment like DLS has the most of the talent in the area and the focus shifts to that in order to deflect from the obvious depth of talent advantage they enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoBears89
I have freely admitted that DLS has great coaching and great kids that work hard and buy into the program. The point I keep making is that they consistently have by far the best depth of talent in Nor Cal. No way they go undefeated for 24 years and counting without all three of those components clicking every single year. There are a couple of cats on this forum that pour the "we do it with average talent" kool aid.
I know!

If I may, LMRJONES, I would add a fourth ingredient: An Administration that fully supports the football program. The DLS Administration operates at the same level of excellence as the football program. I believe it was Bubba3000 who posted recently that you need all hands on deck. Kudos to DLS for creating this amazing experience for these kids.

If I may, LMRJONES, I would add a fourth ingredient: An Administration that fully supports the football program. The DLS Administration operates at the same level of excellence as the football program. I believe it was Bubba3000 who posted recently that you need all hands on deck. Kudos to DLS for creating this amazing experience for these kids.

It's truly a combination of all of the above that has made the program so successful for so long. No single branch of the tree more important than the other, including the talent branch. The combination also allows them to beat So Cal and out of state teams that sometimes have more talent.

Reactions: Paloma
agreed!

It's truly a combination of all of the above that has made the program so successful for so long. No single branch of the tree more important than the other, including the talent branch. The combination also allows them to beat So Cal and out of state teams that sometimes have more talent.
Well stated, Bubba.

and I have stated many times DLS would not be nationally elite without the talent they get.

The disagreements typically happen when:
-stating (which is not substantiated) that DLS gets all or most of the talent in their area.
-not accurately reflecting the private school "unfair advantage"
-recruiting football players
-under stating the impact of coaching and leadership on HS football (this is subjective and is a great debate to have)
-under stating the impact strength and conditioning (S&C) programs have on HS football.
-Not understanding the difference between S&C from one program to the next
-under stating the schools culture and its impact on HS football

and I have stated many times DLS would not be nationally elite without the talent they get.

-stating (which is not substantiated) that DLS gets all or most of the talent in their area.
-under stating the impact of coaching and leadership on HS football (this is subjective and is a great debate to have)
-under stating the impact strength and conditioning (S&C) programs have on HS football.

When and where did I complain about recruiting? I talk up strength and conditioning. I tend to criticize Foothill for not having a year round lifting program and it shows, especially
on their lines. On average private schools attract more talent that's a proven fact that you don't seem to understand.

When and where did I complain about recruiting? I talk up strength and conditioning. I tend to criticize Foothill for not having a year round lifting program and it shows, especially
on their lines. On average private schools attract more talent that's a proven fact that you don't seem to understand.

Huh? Was my post only directed at you? dont let your emotions get the better of you.

If your statement is a proven fact, lets see your facts.
You can start with the 2016 NCP top 50

Huh? Was my post only directed at you? dont let your emotions get the better of you.

If your statement is a proven fact, lets see your facts.
You can start with the 2016 NCP top 50

I already admitted that comment was in error. Funny how most in this forum see the depth of talent as clear as the nose on their face.

Last edited:

And to your point, 884, DLS seems to do the opposite of recruiting when it comes to "high profile" players that, for various reasons, were not a good fit for the program. My friends in SoCal were shocked when McKenzie left. I told them, DLS will not miss a beat. And they didn't!

Nobody here has ever said they are doing it with average talent. That said there is no doubt a lot of those players were average when they walked on campus as freshman. The program and coaching definitely gets the most out of them over the four year period. That's what creates Depth and talent.

Reactions: paul_johnson884
I already admitted that comment was in error. Funny how most in this forum see the depth of talent as clear as the nose on their face.

you are all over the place..
-You can provide the "facts" about private schools or
-You can prove your depth of talent claim regarding DLS or
-provide your evidence for both

I see just as many posters agreeing that DLS develops talent and depth as I do who believe your baseless claim that they cherry pick talent all over the east Bay, Nor cal, The universe.. etc

Reactions: _Molon_Labe_
And to your point, 884, DLS seems to do the opposite of recruiting when it comes to "high profile" players that, for various reasons, were not a good fit for the program. My friends in SoCal were shocked when McKenzie left. I told them, DLS will not miss a beat. And they didn't!

Agree- it is unusual. McKenzie was not the first to be shown the door either- Mr Montana found out real quick he couldn't throw his super bowl rings around to get what he wanted.

SoCal transfers activity is like another universe compared to the North.
I am for unlimited transfers- no boundaries, no siting out after transfers (as long as they dont displace a local kid)- and didnt believe McKenzie should have missed any games his senior year.

Nobody here has ever said they are doing it with average talent. That said there is no doubt a lot of those players were average when they walked on campus as freshman. The program and coaching definitely gets the most out of them over the four year period. That's what creates Depth and talent.

You're living in a dream world. Those are mostly better than average football players showing up as freshmen. Are you telling me guys like Custer, Wiley, Vanderklugt, Ortiz, Hernandez, Andrade, Wardy, Ogburn, Letuligasenoa, Short, Anderson, Hardy, Olinger, Medeiros, Silluvan, Lissarrague, Williams, Rosales, Griffin, Velasco, Houstons and Allen all showed up freshman year as average players?

Last edited:
Agree- it is unusual. McKenzie was not the first to be shown the door either- Mr Montana found out real quick he couldn't throw his super bowl rings around to get what he wanted.

SoCal transfers activity is like another universe compared to the North.
I am for unlimited transfers- no boundaries, no siting out after transfers (as long as they dont displace a local kid)- and didnt believe McKenzie should have missed any games his senior year.
Isn't that the truth, 884! It's the wild west down there. I know of several kids in SoCal who played at a different school each year during their 4 year HS careers. I also recall the Montana issue - good for DLS to stand up to him!

Isn't that the truth, 884! It's the wild west down there. I know of several kids in SoCal who played at a different school each year during their 4 year HS careers. I also recall the Montana issue - good for DLS to stand up to him!

What's the big deal? Montana kids were average at best football players what took huevos rancheros was insisting a player the caliber of Mckenzie tow the company line. I commend that move.

Another way of looking at that is how many teams can lose the talent the two McKenzie brothers bring and go on to win the state championship?

here are some quotes from experts that may help you understand what they understand:

“Precision and discipline is what makes De La Salle what they are,” Logan said. “It’s definitely something we’ve looked to emulate here.”

“We’ve played three different veer offenses – so that’s a little help – but none of them run it like (De La Salle) does,” Centennial defensive coordinator Dan Herring said. “The way their offensive line gets off the ball – I’ve never seen that before. They get off the ball incredibly low and hard.”

“They’re not the biggest offensive line,” he said. “They have one guy that’s 290 pounds, and everyone else is in the 230-240 range, if that. But their 220 is a normal team’s 265-to-270. They’re just so physical.”

Oddly, to some, these type of characteristics actually can be duplicated at your school.

That quick get off you describe is very effective and per the rule book is often illegal. It doesn't satisfy the length of time a lineman is supposed to be set before the snap of the ball. Billeci teaches it at Cal High and it's the bomb on third and fourth down short yardage situations. Refs don't often penalize for this unless a coach like Zuber from Logan complains before the game.

You're living in a dream world. Those are mostly better than average football players showing up as freshmen. Are you telling me guys like Custer, Wiley, Vanderklugt, Ortiz, Hernandez, Andrade, Wardy, Ogburn, Letuligasenoa, Short, Anderson, Hardy, Olinger, Medeiros, Silluvan, Lissarrague, Williams, Rosales, Griffin, Velasco, Houstons and Allen all showed up freshman year as average players?

I'm not going to name kids on a public forum. But I took the time to look up some of the listed players. Rest assured they weren't special as freshman for the most part, because frankly statistics wise most were average for HS and anything but great. In other words there is no more talent there than at many other schools, DLS however gets the most out of who they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT