ADVERTISEMENT

ANTIOCH----THE TEAM TO BEAT

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
The Panthers open the season with a big target on their back and the question is, is there any body out there able to stop them....and the answer is in game five when they meet DLS in a away game. The Panther line will have to play 100% with no let down to challenge the Spartans.
scheduling DLS was a bold move, but strange things do happen, so if Harris can find holes and turn the corners, just maybe Antioch can stand up to them...
Looking at the schedule, after DLS, Antioch could have their hands full against Freedom Liberty and of course Pittsburg....The second preseason game against Miliptas could be a eye opener as last season, Miliptas scored 22 against the Panthers, so there may be a tough battle in the second preseason game and the game against San Leandro may also be a battle.
In the 2015 season, Antioch went 5-0 in league play taking first place after years of staggering and 11-1 for the season in which they fell behind by more then 25 points going into the fourth quarter and despite a roaring come back, Antioch went down 55-54 in a wild game that equals the Pittsburg game which they won 44-42 and even in the Pirate game, Antioch had to come from behind to win .
For the 2016 season, Antioch has a 5-5 JV team to feed off and it looks like there are several transfers in the making to support Najee Harris, a 6-2 220 holy terror...

8-26.....Lincoln of Stockton......Home 7 P.M.
9-02.....Milpitas Away..7 P.M.
9-09.....San Leandro Home 7 P.M.
9-16.....Rancho Cotate Away 7 P.M.
9-23.....DLS Away 7:30 P.M.
9-30.....BYE
10-07.....Deer Valley Away 7 P.M.
10-14.....Heritage Home 7 P.M.
10-21.....Freedom Away 7 P.M.
10-28.....Liberty Home 7 P.M.
11-05.....Pittsburg Saturday Home 1:30 P.M. Last season there was huge crowd and the Pittsburg stadium was bulging to the limit to hold the fans, so the Antioch stadium will be jam packed also for what looks to be another will game as was in season 2015.....

The Panthers open the season with a big target on their back and the question is, is there any body out there able to stop them....and the answer is in game five when they meet DLS in a away game. The Panther line will have to play 100% with no let down to challenge the Spartans.
scheduling DLS was a bold move, but strange things do happen, so if Harris can find holes and turn the corners, just maybe Antioch can stand up to them...
Looking at the schedule, after DLS, Antioch could have their hands full against Freedom Liberty and of course Pittsburg....The second preseason game against Miliptas could be a eye opener as last season, Miliptas scored 22 against the Panthers, so there may be a tough battle in the second preseason game and the game against San Leandro may also be a battle.
In the 2015 season, Antioch went 5-0 in league play taking first place after years of staggering and 11-1 for the season in which they fell behind by more then 25 points going into the fourth quarter and despite a roaring come back, Antioch went down 55-54 in a wild game that equals the Pittsburg game which they won 44-42 and even in the Pirate game, Antioch had to come from behind to win .
For the 2016 season, Antioch has a 5-5 JV team to feed off and it looks like there are several transfers in the making to support Najee Harris, a 6-2 220 holy terror...

8-26.....Lincoln of Stockton......Home 7 P.M.
9-02.....Milpitas Away..7 P.M.
9-09.....San Leandro Home 7 P.M.
9-16.....Rancho Cotate Away 7 P.M.
9-23.....DLS Away 7:30 P.M.
9-30.....BYE
10-07.....Deer Valley Away 7 P.M.
10-14.....Heritage Home 7 P.M.
10-21.....Freedom Away 7 P.M.
10-28.....Liberty Home 7 P.M.
11-05.....Pittsburg Saturday Home 1:30 P.M. Last season there was huge crowd and the Pittsburg stadium was bulging to the limit to hold the fans, so the Antioch stadium will be jam packed also for what looks to be another will game as was in season 2015.....
Antioch's opening game against Lincoln of Stockton could be a real test for the Panthers.....Lincoln went 4-1 in league play, dropping a 29-14 decision to St. Mary's of Stockton and completing the season at 6-5....Lincoln had a tough preseason schedule, which got them pretty well battle tested while St. Mary's of Stockton went 5-0 in league play and 10-3 for the season....Facing Cardinal Newman was their first win in a close fight 35-34...But the losses were to Central Catholic 36-22, 33-30 to Los Gatos and in the playoffs, 56-49 in a barn burner 56-49 to Folsom....Gauging a team by win and lost score in the previous season is only half the story.

Reactions: remc
I would love to see Antioch do it this year. I would like it even more if they beat DLS in the playoffs but DLS get to play on because of well the DLS rule. Oh the pissing and moaning that would go on then would be priceless.

I would love to see Antioch do it this year. I would like it even more if they beat DLS in the playoffs but DLS get to play on because of well the DLS rule. Oh the pissing and moaning that would go on then would be priceless.
That's a BIG if however......., but DLS looks more vulnerable than it has in a while, at least from the outside looking in. Lost a ton of talent from last year.

That's a BIG if however......., but DLS looks more vulnerable than it has in a while, at least from the outside looking in. Lost a ton of talent from last year.
Guys.....DLS has a 8-2 JV team moving up with no speed demons noteable so far, or a solid QB, but DLS has a habit of filling the gaps and Antioch faces DLS in game five which gives the Spartans a lot of time to get stronger and cure any weaknesses....

Guys.....DLS has a 8-2 JV team moving up with no speed demons noteable so far, or a solid QB, but DLS has a habit of filling the gaps and Antioch faces DLS in game five which gives the Spartans a lot of time to get stronger and cure any weaknesses....

Game 5 is way better than game 10 when Cal High usually gets them!

Game 5 is way better than game 10 when Cal High usually gets them!
BUBBA3000.....Isn't that the truth, California has a good JV team moving up and although the Cal JV team lost to DLS 36-14, things may change, but by game 10, the Spartans will be red hot....

BUBBA3000.....Isn't that the truth, California has a good JV team moving up and although the Cal JV team lost to DLS 36-14, things may change, but by game 10, the Spartans will be red hot....

Every 3rd year or so, Cal High has been playing DLS not only in week #10 of the regular season, but also in week 13 or 14 in the playoffs. Would be nice for the Grizz to get them early on occasionally like some of the WCAL teams do.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Interesting dilemma this year for national rankings. MaxPreps started DLS outside the Top 25. Is it too low despite the heavy graduation losses?

Interesting dilemma this year for national rankings. MaxPreps started DLS outside the Top 25. Is it too low despite the heavy graduation losses?
Right now.....Its cold Turkey for DLS, but being below the Top 25, doesn't mean a whole lot, its June and between now and say Aug. 20th,you can bet that DLS will be ready...I'm not a DLS follower, but DLS history keeps repeating its self unless time catches up to DLS....

I don't care how good,vulnerable,etc they are. I would just love to see them lose and not rep the open division. But of course they get to play on because of new rule. The would be poetic justice.

The DLS faithful are bracing for a tough year, but they'll just reload and be back in the top 25 by mid year. Can't see any NorCal teams challenging them.

The Spartan's will still be the team to beat. Although young, indications are they should have decent lines on both sides and they tend to reload on defense. They will be young but plenty of talent. With exception of one class that started slow a few years back (the year the streak ended), they will probably be more stout on defense. QB is questionmark and may start a soph. Offense may take a couple games to click. In any event,the schedule isn't like the last couple years so they probably will be like young teams in the past that peak at the end of the season. Antioch will need to play great defense to beat DLS by the time they meet, and the Spartan's will have some playmakers unlike mentioned above. Spartan's will still be the team to beat in Norcal next season.

Antioch lines will not hold vs the DLS veer blocking system. They won't loose the NorCal streak but not sold on them beating one of the So cal representatives in the SBG.

Reactions: Paloma
Antioch lines will not hold vs the DLS veer blocking system. They won't loose the NorCal streak but not sold on them beating one of the So cal representatives in the SBG.
SICWIDT41.....Antioch's line is their biggest weakness, between now and the first game, this is a project that the Panthers need to address, you are sure right about dealing with DLS' Veer blocking system.....

SICWIDT41.....Antioch's line is their biggest weakness, between now and the first game, this is a project that the Panthers need to address, you are sure right about dealing with DLS' Veer blocking system.....

That's too bad about the Antioch line. My older brother who never ever goes on and on about any high school player says Harris is like nothing he's ever seen!

Reactions: slick58
That's too bad about the Antioch line. My older brother who never ever goes on and on about any high school player says Harris is like nothing he's ever seen!
BUBBA3000.....Harris is like a one man gang, extremely fast, snickie, shifty will break tackles, to watch this guy work is a show in its self, and off the field, a real gentleman, if you get a chance to see him play, you won't be sorry.....

BUBBA3000.....Harris is like a one man gang, extremely fast, snickie, shifty will break tackles, to watch this guy work is a show in its self, and off the field, a real gentleman, if you get a chance to see him play, you won't be sorry.....
Yeah, he's the Antioch offense, big, fast agile. Fun to watch

The line wasn't bad last season. They didn't have much size but they did their job as a whole. I would say they were on par with Foothill on the lines last season. I agree that there is room for improvement. They have a few months to get ready to do something special. I can see the Panthers dethroning the Spartans. It will come down to line play though.

The line wasn't bad last season. They didn't have much size but they did their job as a whole. I would say they were on par with Foothill on the lines last season. I agree that there is room for improvement. They have a few months to get ready to do something special. I can see the Panthers dethroning the Spartans. It will come down to line play though.

Their line doesn't have to be great, just good enough so teams don't stop Harris in the backfield before he can square his shoulders to the line of scrimmage. 8 and 9 man fronts to stop Harris should really open things up in the air if Antioch has any semblance of a passing game.

Antioch's biggest weakness is their play calling. They have your standard high school offensive line, an NFL running back, and a pop warner staff.

Antioch's biggest weakness is their play calling. They have your standard high school offensive line, an NFL running back, and a pop warner staff.
Pop Warner staff? Ouch. That statement alone tells me they'll have no chance VS DLS.

I saw a couple of posts that said if DLS loses in playoffs they still move on because of a new rule. What is that?

I saw a couple of posts that said if DLS loses in playoffs they still move on because of a new rule. What is that?

That's the news rules NCS came up with because it's unfair that teams have to play DLS every year and have no chance at moving on. So they decided the loser of that game isn't necessarily out of it. Everybody seem to be in support of the idea around here I for one think it's BS. But I'm hoping DLS actually loses this year and benefits from the very rule designed because of them and they get to play on. That would be poetic justice in my opinion, and the pissing and moaning would be priceless.

If there are more than two division 1 teams in the NCS Open four playoff, only two have the chance to advance to state. I'm sure the NCS will do everything possible to make sure this scenario will not happen unless there are three 10-0 division 1 teams. This way they ensure DLS will make it to state regardless.

If there are more than two division 1 teams in the NCS Open four playoff, only two have the chance to advance to state. I'm sure the NCS will do everything possible to make sure this scenario will not happen unless there are three 10-0 division 1 teams. This way they ensure DLS will make it to state regardless.

Correct DLS will be in state regardless I have no doubt. The only question is are they playing in the open game, or D1 game. If it's the D1 game they will have used the playoff mulligan that was designed for the we can't beat them folks. That's what I hope for personally, because frankly I don't really see anybody giving the SoCal open team a game except DLS. And DLS plays on after a playoff loss and probably wins a D1 state title and shows exactly how retarded this new rule is.

Correct DLS will be in state regardless I have no doubt. The only question is are they playing in the open game, or D1 game. If it's the D1 game they will have used the playoff mulligan that was designed for the we can't beat them folks. That's what I hope for personally, because frankly I don't really see anybody giving the SoCal open team a game except DLS. And DLS plays on after a playoff loss and probably wins a D1 state title and shows exactly how retarded this new rule is.

DLS should never ever go to state at the D1 level it should be open game or stay home

Reactions: Paloma
Using that logic why doesn't Pitt dominate the EBAL....
I think a better comparison would be Antioch to Foothill. Antioch had 5 division 1 guys on their team last year and lost to Foothill with none. Maybe they had 1 depending where the QB ends up.

I think a better comparison would be Antioch to Foothill. Antioch had 5 division 1 guys on their team last year and lost to Foothill with none. Maybe they had 1 depending where the QB ends up.

Foothill may not have had many D1 guys but they had plenty of high school talent that don't have the measurements and/or 40 times to attract college recruiters. Guys like Mercado, Connolly, Gates, the Walsh brothers, Floyd and Wooldridge make for a pretty stout lineup. At 6'4" 276 2018 Zach Walsh will eventually get recruited.

Another great example is the 2013 Cal High Grizzly team that won EBAL outright and lost in the section finals to DLS. That team only had two D1 prospects but was stacked with outstanding high school level talent.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/california-grizzlies-(san-ramon,ca)/football-fall-13/roster.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: remc

Your using a 1 year comparison when poster was responding to a comment that DLS typically has more talent. In other words year after year, and Pitt typically has more talent than Antioch.

interesting point. Antioch had many more D1 players and still lost. Didnt think that was possible according to some who post here.

Reactions: Indianpride45
Foothill may not have had many D1 guys but they had plenty of high school talent that don't have the measurements and/or 40 times to attract college recruiters. Guys like Mercado, Connolly, Gates, the Walsh brothers, Floyd and Wooldridge make for a pretty stout lineup. At 6'4" 276 2018 Zach Walsh will eventually get recruited.

Another great example is the 2013 Cal High Grizzly team that won EBAL outright and lost in the section finals to DLS. That team only had two D1 prospects but was stacked with outstanding high school level talent.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/california-grizzlies-(san-ramon,ca)/football-fall-13/roster.htm

Huh, so D1 football players do not automatically equal wins... interesting change of position.

Reactions: Indianpride45
Huh, so D1 football players do not automatically equal wins... interesting change of position.

No they don't. I see high school football for what it really is. Most teams have one or two D1 caliber players but they win their games with the other dozen or so starters. Of those dozen or so seven or eight of them are really good football players, in my opinion. On the other hand DLS has the best of all worlds. They typically have 4 or 5 D1 caliber players with every other starter being a really good football player. On top of that they have kids that would start at other Nor Cal schools on their second and even third string. There's not a soft spot on the field and depth of talent is IMO their biggest advantage. They have kids like Damon Wiley who because of his size was overlooked by D1 schools, yet is one hell of a football player. Combine all this with a much bigger and better coaching staff. To their credit, working their asses off all summer flipping truck tires makes for a nearly unbeatable combination in the northern half of the state.

-coaching and strength & conditioning matter.... amen.

-Now we are to understand that DLS gets the best zero star football players.... very subjective criteria but it fits the anti-DLS hysteria perfectly while simultaneously is a contradiction to the impact of coaching.

-You deserve credit for a different, maturing tune from "DLS gets all of the talent" and "talent wins games"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT