ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Returns in May

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
So based on my conversations with others in the High School Basketball community, I am hearing that Basketball will return sometime in May.

To me there are some questions that need to be answered, but at least the kids will get to play...especially the Seniors!

1) Will there be new leagues formed for the year in order to lessen travel?
My Answer: I think things will remain the same. No new leagues, though a SF League would be very interesting.

2) Will fans be allowed to attend games?
My Answer: No for now, but I think if there are playoffs of some sort, I could see limited fans and students being allowed to attend.

3) Will there be NCS? CCS? CIF?
My Answer: I think we will see NCS and CCS, but not CIF. NCS and CCS are a lot easier to put together in terms of travel, and the goal this season will probably be for teams not to play any games further than 2 hours away.

There will be no form of any playoffs to my knowledge NCS or CIF just a non league schedule within certain boundaries and then your county league
schedule.

Who is going to pay for testing 48 hours before every game

Who is going to pay for testing 48 hours before every game
11:11 has said they will pay for testing for all student athletes. there is another word after 11:11 but i am too lazy to look it up.

Or you can go to the many free sites they have they test you same day.

Reactions: TransitionD
So based on my conversations with others in the High School Basketball community, I am hearing that Basketball will return sometime in May.

To me there are some questions that need to be answered, but at least the kids will get to play...especially the Seniors!

1) Will there be new leagues formed for the year in order to lessen travel?
My Answer: I think things will remain the same. No new leagues, though a SF League would be very interesting.

2) Will fans be allowed to attend games?
My Answer: No for now, but I think if there are playoffs of some sort, I could see limited fans and students being allowed to attend.

3) Will there be NCS? CCS? CIF?
My Answer: I think we will see NCS and CCS, but not CIF. NCS and CCS are a lot easier to put together in terms of travel, and the goal this season will probably be for teams not to play any games further than 2 hours away.
are these people just basketball people. like those who only deal with basketball? or are they medical pros and public health wrkers

Okay, thanks... I have seen tons and tons of Covid-related sites, but not that one 'til now.

Question is : Who is covering the Staff and Officials to test. Also, who is picking up costs?
Ex: An official has to test 48 hours before on own time to get results to be able to ref. I can go into more detail, but this isn't easy with 3 possible games or more a week.

Question is : Who is covering the Staff and Officials to test. Also, who is picking up costs?
Ex: An official has to test 48 hours before on own time to get results to be able to ref. I can go into more detail, but this isn't easy with 3 possible games or more a week.
the above entity has said they will test. but all over oakland there are free test sites if one wishes to be tested.

Language in what I read was players not staff free. NCBOA (City) officials are not covered, and the difference between a free PCR test that 2-3 days, versus a RAPID test that is costly is where I'm confused and various others. I signed up 111covid just to see if its covered and so far nothing shows RAPID testing.
So that leaves the PCR test 2-3 days.

As an Official, I would not be able to take time off work to have tests done to show 48 hours before a match. Especially if I'm doing 3 games a week. My Monday result isn't valid on Thursday, and so on.
I know of College Officials that are testing everyday, and still doing RAPID test on arrival to game.

If they allowed for waivers, that would help.

I don’t believe officials have to be tested. If they are it could be a major roadblock. Were the football officials who worked last night tested prior to their games?

I don’t believe officials have to be tested. If they are it could be a major roadblock. Were the football officials who worked last night tested prior to their games?

According to CDPH guidelines, if you're playing an indoor sport you have tube tested daily. For games, everyone entering the gym needs to be tested 24 hours in advance of a game. Again, this is for high school sports. AAU has no rules to my knowledge. Basketball is a yellow tiered sport playing in a red/purple tier currently

Update: According to my officials association, CCS and NCS read the language as refs are NOT staff or administration of contests. We are being told we do NOT need to be tested. Of course here's the wrench, each County, then District, then possibly School may say no dice. I know I'm confused.

Can anyone confirm that Bishop O'Dowd will be hosting Archbishop Riordan May 15th? If fans are not allowed, I'm hoping NCSTV streams the game. They do a great job!

I don't know about that one, but I do know my Cougars are playing Salesian on Saturday, 4/17... And I have confirmation from the Cougs' coach. Probably no spectators outside household members at this point, so hopefully it'll get streamed.

Can anyone confirm that Bishop O'Dowd will be hosting Archbishop Riordan May 15th? If fans are not allowed, I'm hoping NCSTV streams the game. They do a great job!
Riordan @ BOD appears on Riordan's Athletics site. Nothing on MaxPreps or on the Dragon Athletics site to confirm.

Last edited:
Riordan @ BOD appears on Riordan's Athletics site. Nothing on MaxPreps or on the Dragon Athletics site to confirm. Anyone?
worse comes to worse there is a full court on 98th and Bancroft right down the street from BOD. All you need is a ball and opportunity. worked for us in the 90's and 2000's.

Reactions: jordan24
I don't know about that one, but I do know my Cougars are playing Salesian on Saturday, 4/17... And I have confirmation from the Cougs' coach. Probably no spectators outside household members at this point, so hopefully it'll get streamed.
Is Mahaney playing for Campo this season?

The WCAL's hoops schedule is posted and clear: It all depends on the involved counties being in the pandemic yellow tier. If yellow does emerge for the three counties (SF, SMC and SCC), non-league games can start April 19, league games May 5 (the WCAL would be divided in half, north and south). Further, a WCAL tournament would be played May 24-28. It's not clear what would happen if just one or two of the WCAL's counties popped into the yellow category. CCS playoffs would be set for June 11 and 12, NorCals June 18 and 19. There would be no state tournament. Once again, the virus rules.

Riordan @ BOD appears on Riordan's Athletics site. Nothing on MaxPreps or on the Dragon Athletics site to confirm.
MaxPreps has been updated with Bishop O’Dowd at Campo May 8th. Also, Archbishop Riordan plays at Bishop O’Dowd on May 15th. Lots of great match ups. Let’s hope there’s a stream!

MaxPreps has been updated with Bishop O’Dowd at Campo May 8th. Also, Archbishop Riordan plays at Bishop O’Dowd on May 15th. Lots of great match ups. Let’s hope there’s a stream!
A more "normal" season appears promising. On another note, Mor Seck has de-committed from USF and has classified back to 2022.

ALL of these schedules are PROSPECTIVE. There isn't a coach anywhere that can say for certain that ANY games will be played although in contravention of the rules some games are being played.

Last edited:
ALL of these schedules are PROSPECTIVE. There isn't a coach anywhere that can say for certain that ANY games will be played although in contravention of the rules some games are being played.
Games are already being played in Sacramento...as they should be everywhere.

Mixed messages are everywhere. PAL and WCAL websites are very clear: Yellow tier is the controlling factor. Then again, who the heck knows at this point. PAL commissioner has thrown up his hands and told each of his five public school districts to do whatever they feel comfortable doing. Amen.

Mixed messages are everywhere. PAL and WCAL websites are very clear: Yellow tier is the controlling factor. Then again, who the heck knows at this point. PAL commissioner has thrown up his hands and told each of his five public school districts to do whatever they feel comfortable doing. Amen.
Everything is tentative given our current environment. It doesn't mean schools should not be planning /scheduling games. Credit goes to the schools that have scheduled football and the other season 1 sports. Yes, there were cancellations/rescheduling due to positive cases, but it was great to see these schools wanting to give the opportunity for the kids to compete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT