ADVERTISEMENT

Brackets are up...

Open and D1 are so tough... Vanden goes on the road and wins a tough D2 SJS and gets a #15 in D1. Thanks for coming out. You get SRV on road.

I have never heard of the D2 #1 seed. I have never heard of one person talking about the school called Branham. How in gods name are they a #1 seed? If I'm Oakland/CC I'm licking my chops. So weird to me in many cases teams will be playing easier schools than in league/playoffs this late in the season. Far too many teams and far too watered down.

Clovis North is awesome. You want to watch how hoops is played the right way. Watch them. No business with there personnel but year in and out...

Odowd is NCS #1 seed in D1 loses at home and gets rewarded with #4 in D2. Dont think many teams have gone down a division in Norcals. Dougherty reward for beating Odowd and Dublin on the road is #14 at Mitty. Make it make sense

Last edited:
How is Doughterey Valley a 14 seed.....
Yeah, they got absolutely hosed. Can’t imagine a worse draw for them than having to play at Mitty in the 1st round. Dublin didn’t fare much better as the #16 seed, but DV was the D1 champ.

Just .... so.... confused... So Clovis North beats SJ and is #3 seed in North bracket while SJ is #6 in the South bracket? What are those SJ guys like dual citizenship???

While we are shaking heads, so SH is #15 in D2 after winning CCS D3 and Valley Christian after winning a higher CCS D2 gets to be #3 in D3. and Santa Cruz gets to be #1 seed in D3? Seems as though SH shouldve been #1 in D3, Valley Christian #15 in D2 and Santa Cruz #3 in D3. ...... Welp!

Reactions: ayalar09
Yeah, they got absolutely hosed. Can’t imagine a worse draw for them than having to play at Mitty in the 1st round. Dublin didn’t fare much better as the #16 seed, but DV was the D1 champ.
I just don’t get it, can anyone explain it to me,

Odowd is NCS #1 seed in D1 loses at home and gets rewarded with #4 in D2. Dont think many teams have gone down a division in Norcals. Dougherty reward for beating Odowd and Dublin on the road is #13 at Mitty. Make it make sense
Santa Teresa and Palo Alto were D1 in Central coast section and got the 1 and 8 seed respectfully in D4 . yes you read write D1 to D4.

Last edited:
Santa Cruz beat Justin-Siena in season and Justin-Siena beat SHC. So I am guessing because of their loss to Santa Cruz Justin did not get seeded 14 in D2. It is very clearly a broken system.

Santa Teresa and Palo Alto were D1 in Central coast section and got the 1 and 8 seed respectfully in D4 . yes you read write D1 to D4.
CCS playoffs divisions based on enrollment. NorCal playoffs divisions based on "competitive equity".

CCS basketball outside of the WCAL and SHP is pretty bad. Occasionally you get a good public school team. Branham has no business being the number 1 seed. Norcal playoffs should have an Open and then go back to enrollment for divisions 1-5

Reactions: CoachRandal
Odowd is NCS #1 seed in D1 loses at home and gets rewarded with #4 in D2. Dont think many teams have gone down a division in Norcals. Dougherty reward for beating Odowd and Dublin on the road is #14 at Mitty. Make it make sense
I see 2 first round upsets. DV over Mitty and in DII Montgomery over Bellarmine.

There is no reason for how teams are seeded which makes it really frustrating for some of these teams and diminishes the overall feel of the NorCal playoffs for most fans.

Still a chance to play more basketball for a lot of players and we will still be watching the next two weeks but it is also true that this new system has been a step back from the early years of the new open format

Reactions: ayalar09
Yeah the St Joseph’s thing to me is wild. So they don’t like their seed in Norcal, so they can just jump to the Socal bracket? It doesn’t make sense.

First of all they need to get rid of the two game rule. Berkeley and Stuart Hall are two teams that should be in CIF, but aren’t because of that dumb rule. Just let the best teams play if you aren’t going to stay true to divisions.

In the end this really hurts the teams like University, who are a dominant D3 team, have a dominant season and get rewarded with a 7 seed in D1where they become just “one of the guys.”

In D1 I feel like a number of teams could win that bracket. Lincoln beats Serra and they could def beat Clovis West in the next game. The 2 seed SRV has to beat Monterey Trail or University and play a tough Vanden team where Tyler Thompson will be playing potentially his last game.

Let’s swing over to D5 which is literally the definition of mediocrity. Athenian the 1 seed is a literal one trick pony and lost to Head Royce three times this year. San domenico finishes 4th in the BCL West and gets a 2 seed, and this one is my favorite. How about the 3 seed in D5 Oakwood. Who went 13-14 this year and finished 4th in the PCAL-Gabilan. But they beat Summit Shasta, so watch out. Those are your top 3 seeds.

It has benefited my team before, but the CIF needs to change its criteria or else teams with losing records are going to continue to get rewarded, meanwhile teams who have one bad game in the postseason get punished.

Yeah the St Joseph’s thing to me is wild. So they don’t like their seed in Norcal, so they can just jump to the Socal bracket? It doesn’t make sense.

First of all they need to get rid of the two game rule. Berkeley and Stuart Hall are two teams that should be in CIF, but aren’t because of that dumb rule. Just let the best teams play if you aren’t going to stay true to divisions.

In the end this really hurts the teams like University, who are a dominant D3 team, have a dominant season and get rewarded with a 7 seed in D1where they become just “one of the guys.”

In D1 I feel like a number of teams could win that bracket. Lincoln beats Serra and they could def beat Clovis West in the next game. The 2 seed SRV has to beat Monterey Trail or University and play a tough Vanden team where Tyler Thompson will be playing potentially his last game.

Let’s swing over to D5 which is literally the definition of mediocrity. Athenian the 1 seed is a literal one trick pony and lost to Head Royce three times this year. San domenico finishes 4th in the BCL West and gets a 2 seed, and this one is my favorite. How about the 3 seed in D5 Oakwood. Who went 13-14 this year and finished 4th in the PCAL-Gabilan. But they beat Summit Shasta, so watch out. Those are your top 3 seeds.

It has benefited my team before, but the CIF needs to change its criteria or else teams with losing records are going to continue to get rewarded, meanwhile teams who have one bad game in the postseason get punished.
you mean to tell me..... all this time you had university in the open but now you want to complain they are in D1?

you mean to tell me..... all this time you had university in the open but now you want to complain they are in D1?

Hey trust me as a Hall fan I’m cool with it.

From a university perspective it had to be frustrating to be so good every year and have literally nothing to show for it outside some NCS titles and a couple BCL West titles.

Hey trust me as a Hall fan I’m cool with it.

From a university perspective it had to be frustrating to be so good every year and have literally nothing to show for it outside some NCS titles and a couple BCL West titles.
all the reason in the world to go out and perform. Lets see what they got!

Stuart hall shouldn’t have lost in the 2nd round…… if they truly should’ve been the 1 seed they wouldn’t have lost to a team Head-Royce easily beat 4 times this year. They were obviously overrated, played a weak preseason schedule and were insulated by a hyped for no reason BCL-West

CCS basketball outside of the WCAL and SHP is pretty bad. Occasionally you get a good public school team. Branham has no business being the number 1 seed. Norcal playoffs should have an Open and then go back to enrollment for divisions 1-5
I am ok with Open Division and then enrollment divisions as suggested! Or how about a hybrid model, Open and Division 1. Then if you want to maintain some competitive equity let's do this. Starting with Division 2, have to include ALL remaining Division 1 teams then Division 2. Division 3 has to include any remaining D2 teams and D3 teams. Then D4, any remaining D3 and D4 teams and so forth. So, you can only be moved up 1 division or down 1 division after the OPEN and Division 1.
Ridiculous that Lowell Division 1 SF section school is last seed in D5 and that Santa Teresa CCS Division 1 school, a semi-finalist, not a Section champion is #1 seed in D4.

Stuart hall shouldn’t have lost in the 2nd round…… if they truly should’ve been the 1 seed they wouldn’t have lost to a team Head-Royce easily beat 4 times this year. They were obviously overrated, played a weak preseason schedule and were insulated by a hyped for no reason BCL-West

No one here was at that game, and knows what went on. The BCL West sent a ton of teams to CIF. Look at where our schedule was ranked and look at where Head Royce’s was put in CIF.

Head Royce is the 16 seed in D3 and Athenian the 1 seed in D5.

Ask HR if they would trade those 4 wins for a chance to be a 1 seed instead of a 16 seed.

Competitive Equity is a terrible system for several reasons:

- punishes success and rewards mediocrity. This conflicts with the lessons coaches are trying to teach.
- makes the lower divisions meaningless and have no historical significance. Nobody cares who wins the NIT. CBIT or weedeater Bowl. Note attendance is way down as a result.
- unfair to small schools who are moved up. We did research that shows schools moved up 2 or more divisions only win 18% of the time in first game. A fair fight would be 50%.
- It is leading to the strong teams getting stronger and the weak teams getting weaker. Transfers are moving from weak schools to strong schools because they don’t want to play in schools that compete in weak divisions.

The old enrollment based system was better than the current one. With that system all the state championship games had great teams with great players and were meaningful games that fans wanted to attend. That is no longer the case at all.

The best system is what the CCS does, which is to pull the power teams up to an Open and everyone else compete in their enrollment division. This system has been in place for 9 years and has worked great and been appreciated by all schools and coaches. They solved the early round blowout problem by using staggered brackets. A much better solution than competitive equity which causes all the problems discussed above.

It would be easy to use the “CCS Model” in other sections and for the state playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SF_Mikey
The issue is that different sections have different enrollment cutoffs. In 2017, the last year of enrollment divisions, you had Mission with its 1100 students against Villa Park with its 2400 students.

I think the best solution is for CIF to have an Open then have 1A (D1 & D2), 1AA (D3+D4) then have 1AAA (D5+D6)……teams can only move up, teams cannot move down.

I would get rid of the two win rule in NCS, CCS, and SJS….and consider those games no different than league playoff games, which would also mean a team winning 2 games wouldn’t guarantee them a spot in CIF.

I think we should go back to the enrollemnt based divisions and then make changes as necessary. Because there were only a handful of real outliers (Pinewood girls, St. Joseph boys when they were good, O'Dowd in D3, Salesian in D4). For the most part, it shook out pretty well and I think provided good context year to year.

Reactions: MC415
You play who is scheduled!! We never complain about what Division or Bracket or League the C.I.F. has placed us in. Get better or stay home and practice for next season. If your team wasn't in the Section Semi-finals/Finals, then why should anyone care if the make the State Playoffs.

You play who is scheduled!! We never complain about what Division or Bracket or League the C.I.F. has placed us in. Get better or stay home and practice for next season. If your team wasn't in the Section Semi-finals/Finals, then why should anyone care if the make the State Playoffs.
you also have the ability to get players from overseas, sacramento and stockton.... probably wanna sit this one out hombre

How can practice and hard work from a normal local public school overcome mercenaries paid for and brought over from several continents away who happen to be 6’9 college prospects and you bring in multiple of those guys along with multiples transfers from out from several cities away ??? I’ve never heard of a more absurd logic in my life

Reactions: NCS707
Hold up. Y'all are the main bandits that recruit. If course is not a problem. To make it even let public schools do the same without repercussions. Then it'll be even.
Since it will not change, Yea just get better and play who is scheduled.
It is what it is

Reactions: ankleassassin

- punishes success and rewards mediocrity. This conflicts with the lessons coaches are trying to teach.
- makes the lower divisions meaningless and have no historical significance. Nobody cares who wins the NIT. CBIT or weedeater Bowl. Note attendance is way down as a result.
- unfair to small schools who are moved up. We did research that shows schools moved up 2 or more divisions only win 18% of the time in first game. A fair fight would be 50%.
- It is leading to the strong teams getting stronger and the weak teams getting weaker. Transfers are moving from weak schools to strong schools because they don’t want to play in schools that compete in weak divisions.

The old enrollment based system was better than the current one. With that system all the state championship games had great teams with great players and were meaningful games that fans wanted to attend. That is no longer the case at all.

The best system is what the CCS does, which is to pull the power teams up to an Open and everyone else compete in their enrollment division. This system has been in place for 9 years and has worked great and been appreciated by all schools and coaches. They solved the early round blowout problem by using staggered brackets. A much better solution than competitive equity which causes all the problems discussed above.

It would be easy to use the “CCS Model” in other sections and for the state playoffs.
Any rules with the word Equity or Diversity or Inclusion is going to be flawed

Anyone got any upset picks for tonight? D1-3 preferably?

D1 - Inderkum, SHP, Monterey Trail and Vanden

D2 - Montgomery and Clovis East

D3 - Head Royce, Central Catholic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT