ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking...

And just like that, VIOLA! All of the proclaimed and misdirected hatred can move over to Sac State, right?
The claims of weak scheduling, recruiting, dodging opponents, running up scores, poor sportsmanship and generally being "bad guys" that was always directed at the coaches can now go with them to Sac State? Folsom can be judged as what they are, a group of hard working HS public school kids doing their best?

And just like that, VIOLA! All of the proclaimed and misdirected hatred can move over to Sac State, right?
The claims of weak scheduling, recruiting, dodging opponents, running up scores, poor sportsmanship and generally being "bad guys" that was always directed at the coaches can now go with them to Sac State? Folsom can be judged as what they are, a group of hard working HS public school kids doing their best?
I think that all depends on how the next Folsom coach does. I do think it’s a great move on Sac states part.

Yeah not surprised at all. Now you have the makings of what could be very interesting over at sac state. You bring a winning cultural to the table.
As for Folsom I guess the program that people bitched about transferring into might be the same one that loses kids this year? Def a good thing for Oak Ridge.

Wow. In the other thread I said I thought Folsom's coaching staff might be affected, but I didn't expect this kind of turnover!

I thought Bobby Fresques was a strong possibility, but I'm a bit surprised Richardson and Cole are going too. I'm especially surprised Taylor's giving Richardson the title of assistant head coach. I realize they are good friends, but I thought Taylor would mostly go with more experienced coaches out of the gate. It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. As a Hornets fan, of course I'm hoping for the best.

Just a thought, but I wonder if the return game against DLS will still happen at Folsom? You'd have to believe after this change of events that whatever slim chance Folsom had to compete in that game is long gone now. Both schools might want to look to cancel. But who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: awood1

Can Sac State schedule DLS? I'm sure they'd like to finally beat those guys .... :p

Folsom should still be interesting next year whoever comes in better be a good recruiter or else it could be hard life in the sfl for folsom. I personally don’t think bringing in that many high school coaches is going to workout hopefully he keeps some of the current sac state staff

Wow. In the other thread I said I thought Folsom's coaching staff might be affected, but I didn't expect this kind of turnover!

I thought Bobby Fresques was a strong possibility, but I'm a bit surprised Richardson and Cole are going too. I'm especially surprised Taylor's giving Richardson the title of assistant head coach. I realize they are good friends, but I thought Taylor would mostly go with more experienced coaches out of the gate. It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. As a Hornets fan, of course I'm hoping for the best.

Just a thought, but I wonder if the return game against DLS will still happen at Folsom? You'd have to believe after this change of events that whatever slim chance Folsom had to compete in that game is long gone now. Both schools might want to look to cancel. But who knows.

I thought hiring Taylor was a great move...but then he hires inexperienced (in terms of college) coaches to put at such important positions??? a little disappointing. Hope it all works out.

Congrats to Troy Taylor and the Folsom coaches moving on to Sac State! I've always thought that Taylor would be a great fit at Sac State. With all of the talent coming out of this region, it's great to see him get the job.

Hopefully Sac State goes from a commuter school to becoming Sacramento's team!!! Plenty of talent around this area. People in this region love football. Much success to these guys moving forward.

Didn't Richardson kid sign with UCD? That could be a difficult game to coach? Does he trade in a scholy from a UC for a State College??

Reactions: ThunderRam
I thought hiring Taylor was a great move...but then he hires inexperienced (in terms of college) coaches to put at such important positions??? a little disappointing. Hope it all works out.

LOL....there's a level of sophistication there that you might be missing. Go watch Folsom's film a little closer. And look at the stats before and after Taylor got to EWU. Their stuff works at the college level.

Not surprised
Didn't Richardson kid sign with UCD? That could be a difficult game to coach? Does he trade in a scholy from a UC for a State College??

I honestly don’t know if it would be that hard to coach against your kid? Off the tip of my head I remember Elway playing against his dad and it never seemed like a hinderence. If he’s close to his dad and wants to play for him again I could see him transferring.

Going from Davis to Sac is defiantly a step backwards, especially academically, but if it’s for family it would make sense.

He has a kid at UCD but I believe he's a Jr. If so one would think it would be wise to finish out a good degree from UCD but stranger things have happened.

All I know is capital christian and Oak Ridge just got a lot better. Its not like Folsom lost 1 coach. I mean the entire staff is virtually gone. Was a great run but you gotta figure things are going to get a lot more level in the SFL.

He has a kid at UCD but I believe he's a Jr. If so one would think it would be wise to finish out a good degree from UCD but stranger things have happened.

All I know is capital christian and Oak Ridge just got a lot better. Its not like Folsom lost 1 coach. I mean the entire staff is virtually gone. Was a great run but you gotta figure things are going to get a lot more level in the SFL.

Doug Cosbie and Doherty still there....I think. Huge news.

Couldn't leave this one alone but RB coach Chris Parry moves over to Sac State too, as "recruiting" coordinator. What does a high school coach know about recruiting? ;)

Congrats for Sac State and all the Folsom coaches who get to step their game to college. I hope it works out great for all involved.

Last edited:

Think the whiner coaches are still looking to toss them out if the league? Lol...how embarrassing to the SFL.

Why would DLS want to cancel the game?

Why would DLS want to cancel the game?

They may not want to. But my initial thought was that there's little chance Folsom will be near as good (as previously expected) while turning over nearly their entire coaching staff. Considering that DLS typically seeks out the best opponents they can find in a given season, they may want to look elsewhere. I'm not saying DLS would proactively look to break a contract, but rather both programs may mutually agree to do so (considering the recent change in circumstance). Folsom's new staff not want to begin their tenure facing a team the caliber of DLS.

I may be way off with that line of thinking, but I was thinking it nonetheless.

LOL....there's a level of sophistication there that you might be missing. Go watch Folsom's film a little closer. And look at the stats before and after Taylor got to EWU. Their stuff works at the college level.

Yes, the scheme works. But Taylor was the brains behind it all. And Taylor has been vetted as a recruiting coordinator and an OC the past 3 years. I'm not saying that the other coaches can't succeed, but it's certainly fair to question whether they are all qualified to be FCS level positional coaches. It's also fair to point out that it is a bit of a risky move for a 1st time HC at the collegiate level to take along so many HS coaches the first year in.

Going from Davis to Sac is defiantly a step backwards, especially academically, but if it’s for family it would make sense.

On the whole, sure, UCD is certainly more distinguished and reputable. But there just might be a few fields of study where Sac State might have an edge.

Totally agree with you regarding coaching against family. It's actually quite common.

Things like this happen. During Cordova's great run, they had several coaches (Dewey Guerra, Ron Lancaster) move on for other opportunities. The program was still excellent under Max Miller, but not quite the same as it was previously. That's why I've been saying for the past couple years that this likely won't go on forever. For Folsom, it started with Taylor leaving for EWU. I thought the decline would happen a little sooner once he left, but credit to the remaining coaches for keeping the wheels turning. It certainly helped that some outside talent found its way there too.

But now we're talking about 4 additional coaches leaving. The current HC, OC, DC and RB coach. They'll obviously still have a lot of talent (Ngata, Badger) and are sure to bring in some exceptional coaches. But that's still a lot to lose. I'm not sure we can reasonably expect the same level of success. Plus, I don't believe they have the best of JV classes moving up. And any help that may have been considering moving over to the program may look elsewhere now.

It promises to be an interesting season next year!

Reactions: aztecpadre
@larry legend33
I forgot to mention that I think you're spot on about Captial and Oak Ridge likely being the most likely to benefit (I think Del Oro, maybe Jesuit could too).

Once CT ended up at Capital, I already felt CC would slowly start making progress in competing with Folsom for talent. But that timeline likely just accelerated quite a bit.

Reactions: coachlittle
@larry legend33
I forgot to mention that I think you're spot on about Captial and Oak Ridge likely being the most likely to benefit (I think Del Oro, maybe Jesuit could too).

Once CT ended up at Capital, I already felt CC would slowly start making progress in competing with Folsom for talent. But that timeline likely just accelerated quite a bit.

Agree TR. It was a great run for Folsom and I still think they will be the team to beat in the SFL next year although they have some huge gaps to fill both on the field and in the sidelines. But OR had a lot of underclassmen playing big minutes last season and a dynamic RPO QB coming up who will make this a much better team. And CC obviously is getting talent and has a great coach over there. They probably were going to be a thorn in everybody's side regardless of the Folsom coaching shakeup. Proof of what they did this year.

Should be a really fun SFL though. You are going to have some exciting games in the near future.

Folsom's new staff not want to begin their tenure facing a team the caliber of DLS.

Thunder,
That’s an interesting take from you considering you roundly criticized a few posters who, after the Folsom loss to DLS earlier this season, suggested they wouldn’t be surprised if Folsom might find a way to back out of next season’s game with DLS to avoid another loss. Now you are suggesting Folsom should do exactly that. I say they should accept the challenge and it will be a great experience for those boys and the new staff....win or lose.

Not surprised but Richardson moving on but like @ThunderRam im surprised he was named assistant head coach. Regardless, good for him.

Mildly surprised this many Folsom coaches are headed to Sac State.
Agree with Streak and Thunder. OL coach, yes. Assistant Head coach, ehhhh. And the addition of Cole? Seems like a big reach there. Just on the strength of recruiting, that is four coaches with ties to one area of the state. I get it though, buds coaching with buds at a D1 College. I hope it works out for both parties.

If they focus on Fresno to Folsom and everything in between that should be good enough. Too many Bay Area kids playing at Weber State, Portland State, Idaho State, Southern Utah, etc. Plus Sac State has damn near the lowest academic acceptance requirements in the CSU system

Yes, the scheme works. But Taylor was the brains behind it all. And Taylor has been vetted as a recruiting coordinator and an OC the past 3 years. I'm not saying that the other coaches can't succeed, but it's certainly fair to question whether they are all qualified to be FCS level positional coaches. It's also fair to point out that it is a bit of a risky move for a 1st time HC at the collegiate level to take along so many HS coaches the first year in.

Certainly fair to question it. But there is also a substantial upside to those hires in that they are familiar with the system and know how to work together. That is also very important.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Thunder,
That’s an interesting take from you considering you roundly criticized a few posters who, after the Folsom loss to DLS earlier this season, suggested they wouldn’t be surprised if Folsom might find a way to back out of next season’s game with DLS to avoid another loss. Now you are suggesting Folsom should do exactly that. I say they should accept the challenge and it will be a great experience for those boys and the new staff....win or lose.

I agree with you. I’m just acknowledging that circumstances have drastically changed and wondering aloud. That’s all. I’m not suggesting at all. If I were running their program, I’d want to keep the status quo and the game.

Certainly fair to question it. But there is also a substantial upside to those hires in that they are familiar with the system and know how to work together. That is also very important.

Agreed. I’m actually quite optimistic. I think it’s going to work.

Reactions: Knock Heads
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT