ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking...

Great to see. Wish them well. They will do well. They are high quality high school coaches that will connect well with that level coach and player when it comes to recruiting. For Taylor, it is a genius move. He get's a trustworthy staff that he has worked with before, all are local, and can work within the Sac State budget. This should be exciting.

Folsom has another college recruit at QB next year Jacob Reithmeier 6"2 200 ..dual threat. Kids a stud unless he transfers for some reason

Was Reithmeier the same JV qb we saw in the DLS/Folsom JV game before the big game the beginning of the year?

I ask because the Folsom qb we saw in that game did not look that good.

Obviously it’ll be tough for Folsom to replace this coaching staff, but it’s still a very attractive job. They have a ton of talent coming back, and have shown that they have everything necessary in order for a coach to sustain success for a long period of time.

If they wanted to stick with an offensive minded coach, they could go after someone like the St. John Bosco offensive coordinator. I believe he was the OC at Serra before SJB, so he’d be familiar with the landscape of HSFB in Northern California.

Reactions: concrete17
Was Reithmeier the same JV qb we saw in the DLS/Folsom JV game before the big game the beginning of the year?

No, Reithmeier is transferring in from Reno. JK, sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Obviously it’ll be tough for Folsom to replace this coaching staff, but it’s still a very attractive job. They have a ton of talent coming back, and have shown that they have everything necessary in order for a coach to sustain success for a long period of time.

If they wanted to stick with an offensive minded coach, they could go after someone like the St. John Bosco offensive coordinator. I believe he was the OC at Serra before SJB, so he’d be familiar with the landscape of HSFB in Northern California.

This would help keep them from losing some of the kids who moved there recently to play for that staff. They would need a big name.

They still have Cosbiy, Doherty and others

It changes the player dynamic for sure.

Yes, the scheme works. But Taylor was the brains behind it all. And Taylor has been vetted as a recruiting coordinator and an OC the past 3 years. I'm not saying that the other coaches can't succeed, but it's certainly fair to question whether they are all qualified to be FCS level positional coaches. It's also fair to point out that it is a bit of a risky move for a 1st time HC at the collegiate level to take along so many HS coaches the first year in.
I totally agree with you that the schemes will work. However, looking at Sac State's previous win/loss record along with their lack of solid recruiting with FCS level assistant coaches I believe the Folsom coaches are well qualified. I mean, Folsom, "California" had cats coming from the state of Georgia and Nevada to play ball for them. Sorry but I had to go there.:p:p

LOL....there's a level of sophistication there that you might be missing. Go watch Folsom's film a little closer. And look at the stats before and after Taylor got to EWU. Their stuff works at the college level.
I've seen plenty. Not knocking them personally ir their system. Taylor's system is great and has proven to work at the college level and I know most coaches have to start somewhere before they become great college coaches...but if they don't get off to a good start, it won't be a good look and I hope they don't lose credibility and it looks like "the good ol boys" network over there. Again, I will reiterate, I hope it all works out.

Good to see Taylor is making the right moves with existing Sac State staff. Sounds like everyone is being let go. Two thumbs up! I think that was Sears downfall when he replaced Sperbeck.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Great to see. Wish them well. They will do well. They are high quality high school coaches that will connect well with that level coach and player when it comes to recruiting. For Taylor, it is a genius move. He get's a trustworthy staff that he has worked with before, all are local, and can work within the Sac State budget. This should be exciting.

This would help keep them from losing some of the kids who moved there recently to play for that staff. They would need a big name.

They still have Cosbiy, Doherty and others

It changes the player dynamic for sure.

Not sure on Cosby.

The bigger question is what will happen on the defense side of the ball. Cole did a very good job there. Not sure how the succession will work there.

Sounds like you’re butt hurt over the move.

The rest of us are just intrigued with the possibilities.

Really? I’m from the Monterey area and live in LV; I don’t give two bleeps about whether Folsom wins or loses. I just find it funny that all these teams Folsom has been slapping up and down the field (I’m guessing yours included) are so excited that they may be able to be relevant again. Not because they improved, but because a coach from another school took a new job.

Reactions: awood1
Really? I’m from the Monterey area and live in LV; I don’t give two bleeps about whether Folsom wins or loses. I just find it funny that all these teams Folsom has been slapping up and down the field (I’m guessing yours included) are so excited that they may be able to be relevant again. Not because they improved, but because a coach from another school took a new job.

You’re misreading things, plain and simple.

No that was freshman David Clark III who was qb on the JV team.

No that was freshman David Clark III who was qb on the JV team.

So basically an 8th grader that was just about to start high school. Time will tell if the skill players will still go to Folsom, or if they decide to start moving year by year a la SoCal to find greener pastures.

Folsom should be good next season and the next couple just based on the talent, but there is a good chance they are not going to be as dominant over time. Definately not defeating DLS next season if they play again. DLS will reload and may be better on offense, and defense while a few holes and line will reload. Folsom had its shot at the Spartan's this season and it may be some time before another one if at all.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Folsom should be good next season and the next couple just based on the talent, but there is a good chance they are not going to be as dominant over time. Definately not defeating DLS next season if they play again. DLS will reload and may be better on offense, and defense while a few holes and line will reload. Folsom had its shot at the Spartan's this season and it may be some time before another one if at all.

Agree, NCSF. For many publics whose Districts impose, regulate highly and protect fiercely their boundaries, there are few and far between gaps in the window to defeat Sparta. There’s no doubt deLa simply has a fantastic track record in their program; talent, coaching, work ethic, etc. However, there have been times when the stars lined up, albeit one of three ingredients is weaker than the others. The day will come. Perhaps an SJS, WCAL or even NCS school.

And just like that, VIOLA! All of the proclaimed and misdirected hatred can move over to Sac State, right?
The claims of weak scheduling, recruiting, dodging opponents, running up scores, poor sportsmanship and generally being "bad guys" that was always directed at the coaches can now go with them to Sac State? Folsom can be judged as what they are, a group of hard working HS public school kids doing their best?
What does Frank Viola know about football?

Lad is still on the sideline. But is no longer head coach. And DLS is still quality, but has taken a noticeable change. Folsoms main core staff has left town for college ball. Folsim will be taking an inevitable dive.

It will be interesting to see if Folsom has some guys transfer out.
You mean the families looking for green(er) grass, instead of smurf turf?

It’s only a matter of years, if not months that a CA SBG player tweets; “ After much discussion with my family and my God, I’ve decided to forgo my last game of High School to prepare myself for (name your P5 school.) I will graduate early and compete in Spring.”

What his (dullard) followers won’t read; See ya later (suckas) teammates who worked their asses off as a team to elevate the stage, and my profile. McCaffery has accelerated selfishness to the next level. How many FBS guys quit before bowls this year?

It’s only a matter of years, if not months that a CA SBG player tweets; “ After much discussion with my family and my God, I’ve decided to forgo my last game of High School to prepare myself for (name your P5 school.) I will graduate early and compete in Spring.”

What his (dullard) followers won’t read; See ya later (suckas) teammates who worked their asses off as a team to elevate the stage, and my profile. McCaffery has accelerated selfishness to the next level. How many FBS guys quit before bowls this year?

I don’t disagree with your ideas, but the problem is that coaches have been bouncing to greener pastures for decades, at least in college. At some point kids and parents decided that loyalty can be interpreted loosely and the rest is history. Bad all around

I am glad players are looking out for themselves rather then feel like they have to play in pointless cash grabs.

Reactions: aztecpadre
I am glad players are looking out for themselves rather then feel like they have to play in pointless cash grabs.
“Looking out for themselves” rationalizes quitting on your teammates? Your approval of one person getting a cash grab makes it okay? Seems counterintuitive but hey, you’re a Vegas dude!

“Looking out for themselves” rationalizes quitting on your teammates? Your approval of one person getting a cash grab makes it okay? Seems counterintuitive but hey, you’re a Vegas dude!

One lesson my dad taught me that stuck was look out for yourself first, because at the end of the day nobody else will.

This is the reality. But with so much money at stake and the risk of a football injury ruining it all the players are only gaming the system that is in front of them. The payday obviously changed the game from college to the NFL. Can you blame them? Look at McCaffery. You think anybody remembers that he didn't play in his last bowl game? I don't. People look at the NFL records he's setting and the money he will end up pumping back to the Cardinal. Did he fail? Def both sides of this coin.

This is the reality. But with so much money at stake and the risk of a football injury ruining it all the players are only gaming the system that is in front of them. The payday obviously changed the game from college to the NFL. Can you blame them? Look at McCaffery. You think anybody remembers that he didn't play in his last bowl game? I don't. People look at the NFL records he's setting and the money he will end up pumping back to the Cardinal. Did he fail? Def both sides of this coin.
I agree. But it sucks. I remember playing in high school with my best friends. Lifting together, conditioning together, going through hell week together, etc... looking back there is no way I would have ever left my friends to go play with kids I didn’t know. But this is the world we live in now. School pride, and loyalty are gone. Internet, social media, and transferring are in.

A trend for sure. Many would scoff at #72, shaming “the quitters.” As far as paydays, those were around long before, hence my posting 1996’s (!) Jerry Maguire.

FWIW, Is agree with Speed’s fatherly advice as pertinent in many areas of life. HS FB? If it trickles down there that’s akin to tweeting “committing to (D3 school)” some of which take warm bodies.

I've been on the fence regarding the matter for a while now. I was with whoever said that I couldn't imagine abandoning my teammates who I went through weight lifting, two-a-days, conditioning, Oklahomas and games with. If you were to ask me today I would say that to each their own.

I am a Miami fan and remember watching Willis McGahee tear his ACL on National Television during the National Title game. I've heard stories of Melvin Bratton blowing his knee out in the Orange Bowl and dropping from a potential first rounder to a sixth rounder (re-entered the next season and went in round 7).

There's distinct differences in every case.

#1: Football has changed. You still weight lift, you still condition and you still play in games but the drills in which you and your childhood friends used to knock the shit each other are now illegal. What's more is that tons of schools no longer go through two-a-days or hell week. Of course there is still that brotherhood but its not the same. I have a brother that is 23 months younger than me (I call him my younger brother). I have another that is 14 years younger than me (shout out to Mom and Pops who have been married 35 years). I grew up fist fighting my younger brother. I've been through some shit with my younger brother. Whereas, I cant say that about my baby brother (the one who is 14 years younger). He's a kid to me and will always be a kid, even when I'm 54 and he's 40. I can't fight him. Perhaps one day if he gets out of line I will kick his ass but you don't create a bond with someone you correct as you would with someone you settle a difference with.

#2: We're in an era of camps and competitive 7-on-7 teams. In Florida they have Spring football where you pad up and play other schools during baseball season. They have weight unlimited pop warner where you can play until you're 18. My point is kids now a days have teammates outside of school. Najee Harris and Dylan Moses knew each other very well before they ended up at Bama. Najee and Tua Tagovailoa were close friends. Well, half of your "teammates" cannot comprehend the situation you're in because they're not on the same pedestal while the half are. Are you going to rationalize your decision based on those faced with the same dilemma or those who simply cannot understand the decision on your hands because they're not in your position?

#3: There's big time money involved when it comes to college athletics. I'm not talking about scholarship + illegal benefit money, I'm talking about Bowl Game and NFL Draft money. You figure Reggie Bush cost USC a couple hundred grand; tuition, meal plan, Mercedes Benz, house, books and board included. Reggie's rookie contract was for $26.5m guaranteed. I know times have changed so let's just take McCaffrey's $17.3m deal instead. The lowest bowl pay out right now is for the Bahamas bowl which pays a school out $225k (not even enough to pay off Reggie's mortgage but ok). You win the Cirtus Bowl? You know, the game Fournette sat out? $8.5m. Now take a step back.........

For the most part you don't have that at the high school level unless you're Mater Dei. For the most part it's about competition and school pride. Fournette got $27.2m on his rookie deal. I heard Miguel Tejada once say (in regards to faking his age) "If you had the opportunity to change the misfortune of your entire family by changing that the '6' at the end of your birth certificate to a '4' would you not do it? If you had an opportunity to change the misfortune of your entire family by taking an injection on your butt cheek would you not do it?" Truth is Fournette didn't need to go that far. All he had to do was think rationally: "I can try and help my University win $8.5m of which I will never see a dime (that he hadn't already seen at least) or I can sit my big add down, play cheer leader and guarantee myself about $1.8m per draft slot I would have draft should I get myself hurt."

Take it back to McGahee. He was considered a "cinch top-five pick". He went 23rd overall. By today's rookie wage scale the difference between going #5 overall vs. #23 is $17.1m. Yeah, if I'm Leonard Fournette LSU can kiss my big hairy ass!

I agree. But it sucks. I remember playing in high school with my best friends. Lifting together, conditioning together, going through hell week together, etc... looking back there is no way I would have ever left my friends to go play with kids I didn’t know. But this is the world we live in now. School pride, and loyalty are gone. Internet, social media, and transferring are in.

It does suck. I agree.

I agree. Hard to understand a transfer after freshman year.

I agree with your comments completely except that there still exists loyalty for the local school in some areas and some schools. I still see little kids grow up dreaming of playing for their local high school and do and wouldn't dream of leaving their high school however the kids I see don't have D1 talent by and large and their circumstances are often different.

Reactions: awood1
I agree with your comments completely except that there still exists loyalty for the local school in some areas and some schools. I still see little kids grow up dreaming of playing for their local high school and do and wouldn't dream of leaving their high school however the kids I see don't have D1 talent by and large and their circumstances are often different.

I hear ya. But I also would say that most of those youth football players aren't playing varsity football. Some play through that level. But a lot don't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT