: : : 33.Sacramento
: : : 34.Centennial
: : : 35.Troy
: : : 36.St Francis
: : : 37.Bonita Vista
: : : 38.Fairfax
: : : 39.Sacred Heart Cathedral
: : : 40.Lakeside

Good list ! However........typically we have found in the past that many on the list will turn out to be listed higher and/ or lower on the list than they should be by season's end.

Good list ! However........typically we have found in the past that many on the list will turn out to be listed higher and/ or lower on the list than they should be by season's end.
did you really feel like that was a post-worthy statement?? its a freaking preseason poll, of course there are going to be changes... ugh the season needs to start already..

did you really feel like that was a post-worthy statement?? its a freaking preseason poll, of course there are going to be changes... ugh the season needs to start already..

Do you really have so much self hate inside that you have to always lead all who post in negative comments and negative attacks against everyone who post that aren't in your narrow minded 3 person posting click? Obviously I knew it was a preseason ranking post just as the one I and everyone made was. That doesn't mean folks can't make a comment one way or another to my post, your post, or anyone else's post. Go find a life with less misery. Perhaps take up walking, Yoga, powerlifting or jogging. Or join a church and practice the principles you learn.

Last edited:
Do you really have so much self hate inside that you have to always lead all who post in negative comments and negative attacks against everyone who post that aren't in your narrow minded 3 person posting click? Obviously I knew it was a preseason ranking post just as the one I and everyone made was. That doesn't mean folks can't make a comment one way or another to my post, your post or anyone else's post. Go find a life with less misery. Perhaps take up walking, Yoga, powerlifting or jogging. Or join a church and practice the principles you learn.
Very well said Paytc, unfortunately that is the case on these kind of forums/blogs. Norcal forum should be more informational than what we read. But who am I to judge I’m just a 62 yr old man:p

Reactions: Paytc
I had the same thought when I read the post. I guess we both need to chill. Maybe we should join one of cooljazz's hot yoga classes.

Reactions: OnBall8
Harold Abend must have seen my Top 20 early predictions I posted last month, pretty close to what I put in my top 15. Only 2 teams I had different were Heritage and Bradshaw Christian 14 and 15. Also I had Antelope 5 and Bear Creek 7 ahead of BOD, Carondelet and Miramonte.
Does anyone know details about SJND? What happened to Nilsson? and another top player out for months?

when its all said and done...I'll say St Joes and McClatchy are top 20 teams.
Well, sounds like St Joes has some early season issues that may likely keep them out of top 20 after all said and done as reported in Harold Abend's article. Curious as to why you think McClatchy can move up that high? I know they have 2 very talented seniors this year (Kam Hall and Nia Lowery), but this team was a little inconsistent last season and had tough losses early in playoffs to Edison and SJND. Questions about their bench could be an issue this season. Kam and Nia will need to play lots of minutes this year, stay out of foul trouble, and the team will have to remain injury free for them to really become mentioned as a top NorCal team.

Reactions: cptmycpa
Well, sounds like St Joes has some early season issues that may likely keep them out of top 20 after all said and done as reported in Harold Abend's article. Curious as to why you think McClatchy can move up that high? I know they have 2 very talented seniors this year (Kam Hall and Nia Lowery), but this team was a little inconsistent last season and had tough losses early in playoffs to Edison and SJND. Questions about their bench could be an issue this season. Kam and Nia will need to play lots of minutes this year, stay out of foul trouble, and the team will have to remain injury free for them to really become mentioned as a top NorCal team.

I didnt know about the SJND injury issues. I will have to reconsider my top 20 statement. Never good to here about injuries. Hope both bounce back strong.

McClatchy seems to underachieve every yr. (still never an OPEN seeding despite some damn good talent over the last few yrs) Their 2 best players are now seniors. So its now or never to fulfill that promise/potential they so clearly have.

The brackets aren't finalized yet, but the seven (as it turns out) top teams are

Etiwanda
Salesian
Pinewood
St. Mary's Stockton
Carondelet
Clovis North
Bishop O'Dowd

Other teams from that list ...

Miramonte
Antelope
McClatchy
Sacramento
Troy
Lakeside (though a 13-14 team from last year so not sure about that top 40 ranking)

These rankings don't mean anything. Let's wait until the first month of games and place teams. Ranking teams by what they did last year or who they have coming back is pointless. Aside from Mitty, Salesian and Pinewood the rest of the field up North is up for grabs and there's no clear cut favorite to win it all this year.

Heritage is in ... sorry. They're hosting too -- how could I forget? (Don't answer that ...)

Platinum will be at College Park. Semis 6 and 7:30 Dec. 28, Finals 6:30 Dec. 29.

Interesting now how to seed Etiwanda before the WCJ...
loss to BM by 9...now plays Poly, BM(again) and LJCD away before the
WCJ....thought they would be a top 2,3,or 4 seed....now what to do

These rankings don't mean anything. Let's wait until the first month of games and place teams. Ranking teams by what they did last year or who they have coming back is pointless. Aside from Mitty, Salesian and Pinewood the rest of the field up North is up for grabs and there's no clear cut favorite to win it all this year.

There is almost never a clear cut favorite, typically just clearly a lot of over hyping certain teams each season. The last time we had a clear cut favorite, the #1 team in the nation two years straight IMO ( and one of the best teams ever in Norcal) Pinewood pulled the upset. Pinewood returns a couple of the players who played a big part in pulling the upset. While there may not be more than 2 or 3 clear cut favorites, they will all need to stay or get healthy to give themselves the best shot. Hopefully they all will be at full strength. Enjoy the games !

Last edited:
Parity is the word for this season in California, I think. There are no loaded powerhouses with multiple P5 girls, but rather a lot of good teams who can rise up when their complementary players are rolling -- and get rolled when one of the two or three stars has an off night.

And of course, injuries and illness will always take their toll ...

Any other teams hitting this tourney?

The So cal Holiday Prep Classic began 12 years ago with only 8 teams. Over the years the tournament has grown to over 70 teams coming from as far as Washington, Pennsylvania , Texas , British Columbia, Nevada, Maryland , Florida, Kentucky and Arizona . We have had nationally ranked teams such as Bishops Gorman, Great Oak, Clovis West, Canyon, Canyon Springs, Castlemont, El Toro, Santa Ana Mater Dei, Bishops, Mt. Miguel, Villa Maria Academy, Garces Memorial, Mercy Academy, Oakridge and Mission Prep to name a few.

There is almost never a clear cut favorite, typically just clearly a lot of over hyping certain teams each season. The last time we had a clear cut favorite, the #1 team in the nation two years straight IMO ( and one of the best teams ever in Norcal) Pinewood pulled the upset. Pinewood returns a couple of the players who played a big part in pulling the upset. While there may not be more than 2 or 3 clear cut favorites, they will all need to stay or get healthy to give themselves the best shot. Hopefully they all will be at full strength. Enjoy the games !

In the past I think one could pick a favorite more so than this year because some teams were loaded with D1 talent. So a lot of folks jumped on the band wagon early because that's the easy thing to do lol. For the past few years you could pick a fav dating back to when Pinewood beat SMS. They were the fav because they won it the year before and had everyone coming back. Then you had Mitty who everyone had playing in the finals upset by Salesian at home.

This is the one year that I think it will come down to which teams and players get better over the year. No one is going undefeated and the post season will come down to who gets matched up with who in the end. Seeding will mean everything this year. I think in the past a lot of upsets have happened because those teams at the top didn't get better through out the year. One thing will be interesting is how Pinewood responds to being the top dog this year and not flying under the radar so much early. This will probably be one of the best years of girls basketball in terms of good games and upsets. I went to the BOD Oakland High game and that went into OT with Oakland High winning. The atmosphere was electric and this was the first week of the season!

Reactions: Paytc
Re: CIF Polls released posted by Fan on November 27, 2018 at 16:39:05:

: : : : : DIVISION 1
: : : : : 1 Bishop Montgomery
: : : : : 2 Sierra Canyon
: : : : : 3 Windward
: : : : : 4 Etiwanda
: : : : : 5 Mater Dei
: : : : : 6 Alemany
: : : : : 7 Redondo Union
: : : : : 8 Centennial/Corona
: : : : : 9 Rosary