ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Updates

So my question is... The best team ever in Norcal lost the Open state title. Mitty still hasn't won a state Open title.

If Mitty can't win 1 what chance do all the rest of the "Open" teams have???

Sue had 2 All Americans and 2 finalists for the National Player of the year. It has to be asked...can she win the BIG one? I mean she has so.much more talent than anyone in the North and she.just keeps accumating it...and yet... 🤷

2 eventual All Americans on the regional championship team is table stakes for SoCal.

In the end, Mitty hates playing a more methodical halfcourt game at both ends of the floor. Halfcourt is not their thing. They can press weak opponents all night and score 90. But that breeds a false sense of superiority. The Folsom game was another indicator that halfcourt defense, especially, is not the Monarchs' cup of java. On a large NBA floor, the Mitty press is even more ineffective vs. a sound foe. By the way, Mitty's 6-2 all-USA soph is a point forward if they choose to use her in that role.
You are very smart, you see the game well. Mitty is built around a bunch of skinny unathletic guards. There’s also a lot of politics that keep their true athletes at the end of the bench. They have no true post players. Only tough player on Mitty is Makenna and she’s just too physically under developed to make a difference on defense at her age.
Sue knows what she has so she uses the press and good perimeter defense to create chaos and steals so teams never figure out Mitty has no post defense. It’s really smoke and mirrors. Dumb coaches don’t watch film and just lets Mitty create a pace that their teams can’t handle, then they are trying to out run and out shoot Mitty, which is impossible.
With Mitty all you gotta do is take your time beat the press and make lay ups. Either with a good post player or a good guard who can drive. There’s just not a lot of teams that play old school basketball and Mitty has took advantage of that.

Last edited:
Mitty had 19 offensive rebounds and outrebounded them 41-28
From watching the game again and analyzing it Mitty missed almost all of their 2nd chance points due to Etiwanda's length and athleticism. So it wasn't so much about Mitty out rebounding more so the quality of defense that Mitty had to try to score against. Etiwanda didn't give Mitty the simple backdoor cuts and slash points that Mitty is accustomed to. That makes a huge difference.

Mitty girl’s basketball has dominated Northern California since 1980. Mitty was winning NorCal’s and competing in state way before Sue got there. And if you look at the teams and players she has had it’s safe to say she has underachieved.
But it’s not her coaching, she’s a hell of a coach, It’s her character. Sue is deeply involved in politics which affect playing time for players, she’s very immature and she bullies players mentally and physically for no reason other than to just be evil.
I was around the program for 6 years and I saw her treat ethnic players and players from lower socioeconomic backgrounds like trash. The wealthy white players “belonged” and the “financial aide” student athletes were there to help the rich girls win championships. And there was a clear visible divide.
So there was an atmosphere where most of the players were unhappy and some of the team’s best players were at the end of the bench only getting to play when needed. The present team had 3 post players that I know of who either transferred or decided not to play who were all D-1 college type players. That was the difference in this year’s state championship game.
And if you look back you had literal girls who left the program the last couple years who ended up playing D-1 basketball.
Sometimes less is more. You only need 7 girls to be effective. There is only 32 minutes.

I just read that Etiwanda's 3-2 matchup zone was played for the first time on Saturday -- and given the difficulty of attacking matchup zones without preparation, there's a reason for Mitty's struggles.

Stan Delus might just be the best defensive coach ever in the state of California, as his teams play an incredible half-court man, and this one was capable of playing a 3-2 matchup in the state title for the first time, and making it work.

Etiwanda was the better team, and if Grace Knox did not play, or wasn't 100%, in their three losses, then Etiwanda, at full strength, likely is the best team in the country right now.

Well this thread didn't agree well. Looks like a even spilt down the line

So norcal won
D5 boys and girls
D4 boys and girls
D3 girls
D2 boys

SoCal won
D3 boys
D2 girls
D1 boys and girls
Open boys and girls

So it did wind up being a tie! The disrespect you have toward norcal 🤷🏾‍♂️😅
Yes NorCal "won" all the participation trophy, 150th place games. SoCal won all of the real divisions exactly as I predicted.

So you only need 6 girls to win the open.... interesting

This is my biggest takeaway from the box score that @TheHillZ shared. Hats off to Etiwanda - I watched the game live and thought they dismantled Mitty pretty good, but I wasn't paying attention to the fact that they rotated primarily off 6 players. I'm so used to seeing Mitty cycle their players in and out to give the players a moment to recharge their legs.

Reactions: GBBall4L
This is my biggest takeaway from the box score that @TheHillZ shared. Hats off to Etiwanda - I watched the game live and thought they dismantled Mitty pretty good, but I wasn't paying attention to the fact that they rotated primarily off 6 players. I'm so used to seeing Mitty cycle their players in and out to give the players a moment to recharge their legs.
with only 32 minutes i think subbing too much hurts. sure its different at the next 2 levels with tv timeouts but i gotta be able to get 3 of the 5 starters to play 32.

Reactions: ClayK
with only 32 minutes i think subbing too much hurts. sure its different at the next 2 levels with tv timeouts but i gotta be able to get 3 of the 5 starters to play 32.
3 starters played all 32, and the 4th starter Richard’s only sat out for 12 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT