ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Updates

Mitty hasn't seen anything like Etiwanda. Unfortunately as great as LuHi is they are like the Spiderman meme to Mitty. Since section playoffs Etiwanda's defense has been top tier. Unless the 4th quarter holds a miracle I don't see much changing
Miracles can happen did anybody see that
South Carolina vs Tennessee game today… that
Number One undefeated SC team should have lost that game

60-48 final…. Etiwanda gets the Open title!
Coach Delus putting Etiwanda in the fire during their season proves to work again. Last year Etiwanda won but it could have went either way. This game was easy. That was impressive. Wow.

Knox made a big difference. Neutralized McKenna. Etiwanda is touggghhhhh!

How many of the Etiwanda girls were on (if any) on the Cal Sparks EYBL national championship team? I think Puff and Smith both did. Those 2 are racking up some hardware! Etiwanda gonna leap LIU and win the Natty?

The better team won. Period.
Yes. No hate here. When you can't win on the press you have to win off the bounce and on defense and Etiwanda did that. And made it look easy. Mykelle Richards played great defense on Cheli and Etiwanda rotated great. Mitty not having a "true" seasoned PG hurt them big tonight. Cheli will play #2 guard and #3 in college and kill it. But against a squad with Puff at Guard and defensive players you gotta have your version of Puff. That frosh guard from Mitty can be that next season I believe.

Only takes 6 or 7 kids.
Yup and they have the draw of all Humboldt County. Not a gold mine but they are the only private school on 101 North of Cardinal Newman. Also I think it’s more like 170 students and 30-40 are international students, who pay for Tuition assistance for a few athletes.

Clay- Colfax is a true small school. St Bernard’s is not even though it’s in Eureka. They can compete much higher than a public of similar enrollment as long as admin wants.

Reactions: ClayK
Yes. No hate here. When you can't win on the press you have to win off the bounce and on defense and Etiwanda did that. And made it look easy. Mykelle Richards played great defense on Cheli and Etiwanda rotated great. Mitty not having a "true" seasoned PG hurt them big tonight. Cheli will play #2 guard and #3 in college and kill it. But against a squad with Puff at Guard and defensive players you gotta have your version of Puff. That frosh guard from Mitty can be that next season I believe.
But I remember early on folks saying Cheli was a PG.

Cheli didn't look 100%. Mitty shot the lights out against LuHu, but couldn't make anything, even on the open looks they got tonight.
Defense makes a difference. Everybody on Mitty looked healthy to me. Players don't look 100% when the defensive scheme makes them look that way. Etiwanda did a great job of running Mitty off the 3 pt line and contesting every shot. That's how defense is played. LuHi is just like Mitty. They have great players that fit that system. Etiwanda hadn't committed to defense until late in the season. Hats off to Stan for finally getting his girls to stop trying to score with scoring teams and just dig in on defense. We(NorCal) lost no excuses.

Last edited:
But I remember early on folks saying Cheli was a PG.
Cheli has handled the PG duties but when you get in a game like this where the defense makes you show them better than you can tell them you gotta be a true PG. I'm not shading anyone but that is what hurt Mitty last year and now that the seniors from last year are gone it hurts more. Hats of to Etiwanda for putting themselves out there schedule wise so they could get better and learn how to adjust. The end result was Etiwanda learning that they are not a golden state warriors but when they lock in on defense they can be a Boston Celtics 2008 type of squad with all the talent they have. Coach Delus played this out great. We gotta give him his props.

I have seen Mitty a bunch this year and that did not look like same team.

The trapping defense Mitty has played all season was MIA. Instead, it went with a pedestrian half court man-man that let Etiwanda work the ball for open shots. Mitty generated no live ball turnovers and no easy buckets. Notably, when it finally employed 3/4 court pressure, Mitty went on a 10-0 run. At that point though, it was too far behind to matter.

Mitty's other problem was that it couldn't throw it in the ocean. It finished 1-13 from three point range (after starting 0-11) and shot perhaps 30% overall. To be sure, some of Mitty's shooting struggles were due to Etiwanda's length. But the threes were not hotly contested. They just weren't falling. Lousy time for an off night.

Edit: Found a box score
View: https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/status/1766679512979489115

Last edited:
Cheli didn't look 100%. Mitty shot the lights out against LuHu, but couldn't make anything, even on the open looks they got tonight.
I don’t think Cheli looked 100% tonight either. She was a shell of herself from last year’s Open championship against similar competition. There is no way that anyone who watched this game would have picked her out as a McDonald’s All American.
I know she had missed some playoff games this year prior to NorCals. Why was she out then? Knees? The flu?

SoCal will sweep, only NorCal team to keep the game close will be Mitty.
Well this thread didn't agree well. Looks like a even spilt down the line

So norcal won
D5 boys and girls
D4 boys and girls
D3 girls
D2 boys

SoCal won
D3 boys
D2 girls
D1 boys and girls
Open boys and girls

So it did wind up being a tie! The disrespect you have toward norcal 🤷🏾‍♂️😅

In the end, Mitty hates playing a more methodical halfcourt game at both ends of the floor. Halfcourt is not their thing. They can press weak opponents all night and score 90. But that breeds a false sense of superiority. The Folsom game was another indicator that halfcourt defense, especially, is not the Monarchs' cup of java. On a large NBA floor, the Mitty press is even more ineffective vs. a sound foe. By the way, Mitty's 6-2 all-USA soph is a point forward if they choose to use her in that role.

Etwinda was legit! Tough kids who played a great game. Mitty looked all out of sorts. Jacking up terrible shot after terrrible shot. They aren't that bad but unfortunately its one game and they were when it counted. Shoot a reasonable % and its a close game but I think the best team won and if they played again its likely a 3-5 point gap difference. Not sad that Etiwanda won either.

Well this thread didn't agree well. Looks like a even spilt down the line

So norcal won
D5 boys and girls
D4 boys and girls
D3 girls
D2 boys

SoCal won
D3 boys
D2 girls
D1 boys and girls
Open boys and girls

So it did wind up being a tie! The disrespect you have toward norcal 🤷🏾‍♂️😅
But most on here say only thing that counts is open and D1

Full court press is a false sense of superiority. Mitty went on a 10-0 run in the 4th with the press but once Etiwanda adjusted they got those points back and if Mitty stayed in that press Etiwanda would have won by 30. What some don't get for some reason is that a great team will eventually adjust and make you pay for the press and Etiwanda did that in the 4th. I watched Mitty play CW, and Mitty play Etiwanda. The difference is Etiwanda stayed in Mitty's face defensive. No standing around for Mitty waiting for the back door cuts to open. No wide open 3s for Weisman, no simple press, steal, score. Not a ton of simple McKenna put backs because Etiwanda has length and athleticism. Mitty having to work super hard to get shots messes your rhythm up and they were not use to having to work super hard and play ball when the system breaks down. Mitty was off kuz of Etiwanda length and defensive scheme not kuz Mitty was just off. Defensive pressure makes you "off" so when you do get a wide look your rhythm is out of wack. Go back and watch the game and see how Etiwanda ran them off the three points line and how Mitty started rushing to try to jack up 3s. Etiwanda had better players from what I saw and played the better game.

Last edited:
In the end, Mitty hates playing a more methodical halfcourt game at both ends of the floor. Halfcourt is not their thing. They can press weak opponents all night and score 90. But that breeds a false sense of superiority. The Folsom game was another indicator that halfcourt defense, especially, is not the Monarchs' cup of java. On a large NBA floor, the Mitty press is even more ineffective vs. a sound foe. By the way, Mitty's 6-2 all-USA soph is a point forward if they choose to use her in that role.
The press is pretty useless on an nba court. Teams gotta be able to win in the half court

Reactions: GBBall4L and ClayK
I don’t think Cheli looked 100% tonight either. She was a shell of herself from last year’s Open championship against similar competition. There is no way that anyone who watched this game would have picked her out as a McDonald’s All American.
I know she had missed some playoff games this year prior to NorCals. Why was she out then? Knees? The flu?

RIght, she's played two prior state finals against Etiwanda and Sierra Canyon in the same venue. Not the same player and did not look like an All American - didn't score till the 3rd quarter? It wasn't just the defense, although Etiwanda was very very good on defense. She could not elevate and could not attack the basket, and did not want to shoot. She had a break away layup toward the end, and I notice she couldn't really jump.

I have seen Mitty a bunch this year and that did not look like same team.

The trapping defense Mitty has played all season was MIA. Instead, it went with a pedestrian half court man-man that let Etiwanda work the ball for open shots. Mitty generated no live ball turnovers and no easy buckets. Notably, when it finally employed 3/4 court pressure, Mitty went on a 10-0 run. At that point though, it was too far behind to matter.

Mitty's other problem was that it couldn't throw it in the ocean. It finished 1-13 from three point range (after starting 0-11) and shot perhaps 30% overall. To be sure, some of Mitty's shooting struggles were due to Etiwanda's length. But the threes were not hotly contested. They just weren't falling. Lousy time for an off night.

Edit: Found a box score
View: https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/status/1766679512979489115

So you only need 6 girls to win the open.... interesting

RIght, she's played two prior state finals against Etiwanda and Sierra Canyon in the same venue. Not the same player and did not look like an All American - didn't score till the 3rd quarter? It wasn't just the defense, although Etiwanda was very very good on defense. She could not elevate and could not attack the basket, and did not want to shoot. She had a break away layup toward the end, and I notice she couldn't really jump.
If you go back and watch those other two State championship games Cheli was able to play off the ball more because they had other ball handlers. She hurts you more off the ball and creates mis matches with her length, movement and 3 point shooting. When she is on ball she is not very quick off the dribble and you see that when a good defender presses the issue. Again we just lost. No excuses but they will keep coming. She didn't score til the 3rd because the lack of other ball handlers forced her to stay on ball and she hurts you waaay more off ball. Plus the defense keyed on that as they should. That is what defense is about. Taking away what you do easy and making you do something else. But I guess every year we lose open division we are just off or a star player was off. 🤦🏿‍♂️

Did Etiwanda have the same roster when it lost those games? For some reason, I think Grace Knox wasn't available, but I could be wrong.

A title is a title. You will be recorded in the books for the coach who played on the last day of the current hugh school season. Yes D1 and open are some of your top tier teams. But if u play to the last day of the high school season that's very special.
I agree

Knox was obviously a huge addition late in the season for Etiwand as Mitty was pretty much held to 1 and done on the offensive side with Knox neutralizing the offensive rebounding of Woliczko.

So my question is... The best team ever in Norcal lost the Open state title. Mitty still hasn't won a state Open title.

If Mitty can't win 1 what chance do all the rest of the "Open" teams have???

Sue had 2 All Americans and 2 finalists for the National Player of the year. It has to be asked...can she win the BIG one? I mean she has so.much more talent than anyone in the North and she.just keeps accumating it...and yet... 🤷

So my question is... The best team ever in Norcal lost the Open state title. Mitty still hasn't won a state Open title.

Sue had 2 All Americans and 2 finalists for the National Player of the year. It has to be asked...can she win the BIG one? I mean she has so.much more talent than anyone in the North and she.just keeps accumating it...and yet... 🤷
That's a easy question. All u have to do is be better than THAT team THAT day.

Gee sounds like something I have said for years and this forum doesn’t want to hear it… nobody and I mean nobody wants to see things for what is obvious

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT