ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Taylor is leading his third team to a Section Final

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Stumbled across this looking at the matchups this week. Pretty cool accomplishment. Any other coaches that have taken this many different teams to a setion final. I'm sure I'm missing a few of them

Joe Cattolico might be at 3 if he took a team in the CCS
Mark Cooley is at least 2 in the Northern Section

Stumbled across this looking at the matchups this week. Pretty cool accomplishment. Any other coaches that have taken this many different teams to a setion final. I'm sure I'm missing a few of them

Mike Parsons I believe has two maybe three. Chowchilla, Modesto Christian, Clovis West?

Reactions: pantera-cat
Dougherty is the best by far.

If he wasn't available, I'd have Taylor as my top choice for sure. Great coach.

Coach Taylor is legit!

He sure is.

Something I always remember about him … I once ran into him near the Del Oro locker rooms before a big game and I happened to be wearing one of my Dodger Blue dry-fits and he asked me the score of the playoff game that was ongoing and chatted with me for a few short minutes about the Dodgers (he’s a big fan).

Of all the football related things on his mind getting his team prepared to take the field that night — you’d have never known it. He was as cool as a cucumber.

I believe Joe Cattolico won a section title with Overfelt in the CCS.

Randy Blankenship maybe the best of them all and still coaching with over 300 wins. Aptos, Nevada Union, Clovis West (1998 state coach of the year), Fallbrook and maybe another team he coached. Think he has at least 13 section championships from at least 3 different sections. He has been chosen Coach of the Year in four different sections — Sac-Joaquin, Central, San Diego and Central Coast.

Clovis West in Fresno, winning four section titles with the Golden Eagles from 1992 to 1998 and 1998 State Coach of the Year. Then he coached two years at Fallbrook, winning a section title in 2000 and ranking No. 11 in the state. At Aptos, he’s led the Mariners to at least 7 league titles and three Central Coast Section championships (2013, 2014, 2015). Can't think of another coach that matches his record in different sections and teams. Think he's only behind Mater Dei's Bruce Rollinson as far as Coach Blankenship being #2 active HC with most wins in the state. Randy has won wherever he has gone.

Last edited:

Ewing won a title at San Mateo (CCS) in 2003 before coming to Monterey Trail the following year.

Reactions: Streak One
Dougherty isn’t even the best coach out of his brothers smh
Hhahaha. I will give him credit for having to manage all the egos on and off the field. It’s a mess of random people assembled from all over so you Can only imagine all the infighting.

As for coaching he’s not even the top 3 in his own league! Winning with elite talent is not hard. Winning with neighborhood kids and building character for life is what coaching is about.

Randy Blankenship maybe the best of them all and still coaching with over 300 wins. Aptos, Nevada Union, Clovis West (1998 state coach of the year), Fallbrook and maybe another team he coached. Think he has at least 13 section championships from at least 3 different sections. He has been chosen Coach of the Year in four different sections — Sac-Joaquin, Central, San Diego and Central Coast.

Clovis West in Fresno, winning four section titles with the Golden Eagles from 1992 to 1998 and 1998 State Coach of the Year. Then he coached two years at Fallbrook, winning a section title in 2000 and ranking No. 11 in the state. At Aptos, he’s led the Mariners to at least 7 league titles and three Central Coast Section championships (2013, 2014, 2015). Can't think of another coach that matches his record in different sections and teams. Think he's only behind Mater Dei's Bruce Rollinson as far as Coach Blankenship being #2 active HC with most wins in the state. Randy has won wherever he has gone.

What’s crazy is Blakenship was NU’s head coach back during my playing days! And for like 4 years before I even got into HS.

During my HS playing career, my class had success against mighty Grant Union. IIRC we beat them 3 out of 4 times, including the Aaron Garcia led team in 1987 when they had previously been undefeated.

But we never beat those damned Nevada Union Miners even once. They ran that wing-t to perfection.

My junior season we even implemented the wing-t system with Coach Terry Stark. But we were nowhere near as practiced or as good at it as those Blankenship teams.

I give props to Doughtery. It takes a special coach to Coach kids/families from different backgrounds, especially football families whom have had collegiate and professional exposure.

I know Coach Taylor struggled with it at Capital and Inderkum. Lol You could tell he had never coached that many athletes before. But still managed to win a section championship at Capital.

Reactions: coachlittle
I give props to Doughtery. It takes a special coach to Coach kids/families from different backgrounds, especially football families whom have had collegiate and professional exposure.

I know Coach Taylor struggled with it at Capital and Inderkum. Lol You could tell he had never coached that many athletes before. But still managed to win a section championship at Capital.
Great points. Dougherty is the best coach in the SJS by far, managing all that talent and going 2-0 against DLS AT DLS the last few years.

Great points. Dougherty is the best coach in the SJS by far, managing all that talent and going 2-0 against DLS AT DLS the last few years.

Imagine how good of a coach you are if you're undefeated against him and won them all in blow outs...Holy Crap, was our staff the best staff in the universe and must have invented the actual game of football??? keep up the good work patsy, u drive us crazy but somehow us dumbasses still respond.

Lots of great coaches out there. All the coaches mentioned are awesome and our section is lucky to have every single one of those great men. Let's find a way to keep great coaches in this profession!

What was the crazy ol dude that beat De La Salle at Canyon and then at Santa Margarita? I want to say he won state twice at two different schools

Found it…Harry Welch. And it was actually three State Titles at Three Schools.

Won Division 1 (Before there was an Open Division) at Canyon in 2006.

He then won in 2008 at Division 4 St. Margaret’s.

Final hoorah came in 2011 at Division 1 (after the inception of the Open) at Santa Margarita.

Found it…Harry Welch. And it was actually three State Titles at Three Schools.

Won Division 1 (Before there was an Open Division) at Canyon in 2006.

He then won in 2008 at Division 4 St. Margaret’s.

Final hoorah came in 2011 at Division 1 (after the inception of the Open) at Santa Margarita.
Stop with the nonsense. Ron Calcagno and Butch Cattolico are the best NorCal coaches in the past 40 years….behind Coach Lad at DLS. The conversation has devolved from those coaches with multiple schools “success” to “best” coaches.

Well yea, I agree with Lad. You don’t get a book, a documentary and a Disney Movie made about you if you’re not some GOAT. The man is in his own category.

But I am stating facts here. People are talking about section finals appearances, and section finals championships. Old man Welch won three state championships at three different schools within the first five years of state championships are play! That is insane?

His pedigree shows he was FIRED at Whitney and had possibly the best team ever at WHS suspended from the playoffs for cheating. Thats a GREAT coach! BTW that isn't how you spell your hero's name. it's Doherty
Crickets.....how about when he sent his team (Sac High) to camp and then double charged his players..till a grandma found out none of the other teams got double charged.

Crickets.....how about when he sent his team (Sac High) to camp and then double charged his players..till a grandma found out none of the other teams got double charged.
Not well liked nor respected. That’s the reality. I wish CC coach would have smacked him for running up the score, but you can point to both taylor and Richardson for starting that. This has been going on for years. You watch Taylor and he’s running the ball and taking knees when they get up big.
Yeah, coaching a bunch of d1 kids against good Hs teams with a random college player sprinkled in isn’t saying much.

Reactions: THEOC89
But I am stating facts here. People are talking about section finals appearances, and section finals championships. Old man Welch won three state championships at three different schools within the first five years of state championships are play! That is insane?

Well, TBF, it’d be stating more facts to acknowledge that many coaches came and went w/o having the same opportunity because there was no State Championship system in place. Some didn’t even have playoffs. So who knows who might have accomplished the same or similar long before?

Stop with the nonsense. Ron Calcagno and Butch Cattolico are the best NorCal coaches in the past 40 years….behind Coach Lad at DLS. The conversation has devolved from those coaches with multiple schools “success” to “best” coaches.

You say “stop with the nonsense” then immediately follow up with a subjective opinion that you position as fact. Most would consider that nonsense. Just sayin.

Hhahaha. I will give him credit for having to manage all the egos on and off the field. It’s a mess of random people assembled from all over so you Can only imagine all the infighting.

As for coaching he’s not even the top 3 in his own league! Winning with elite talent is not hard. Winning with neighborhood kids and building character for life is what coaching is about.
Spoken as an Oak Ridge homer. I really appreciate all that the coaches do for the kids...even for the kids from the other side of the tracks who are seeking opportunities in their life.

Spoken as an Oak Ridge homer. I really appreciate all that the coaches do for the kids...even for the kids from the other side of the tracks who are seeking opportunities in their life.
At the expense of local Folsom kids who grew up in Folsom dreaming of playing on Friday night and will never see the field.

Reactions: ThunderRam
At the expense of local Folsom kids who grew up in Folsom dreaming of playing on Friday night and will never see the field.

I can’t listen to the “seeking opportunities” argument with re: to HS athletics. It’s rubbish. If a player is really talented and good they’ll get that opportunity playing pretty much anywhere.

IMO what many of these kids are doing is front running. While people can do whatever they want, I personally don’t see front runners as true competitors. They’re running away from the real challenge to where it “seems” easier. People can disagree all they want, but that’s how I’ve always seen it.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I can’t listen to the “seeking opportunities” argument with re: to HS athletics. It’s rubbish. If a player is really talented and good they’ll get that opportunity playing pretty much anywhere.

IMO what many of these kids are doing is front running. While people can do whatever they want, I personally don’t see front runners as true competitors. They’re running away from the real challenge to where it “seems” easier. People can disagree all they want, but that’s how I’ve always seen it.
I think that I see your point. So are you saying that a talented running back with college potential should attend Encina (his neighborhood school) over Grant? Or Florin over Monterey Trails?

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
Same BS from the same jealous posters, still angry from a decade of poundings.

90 percent of Folsom players have been there since Day 1 and are born and bred in Folsom.

Fun fact- the percentage is actually lower for Del Oro.

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL

I totally get it. It’s now less competitive to win a starting job at Folsom. Now that makes sense. I am sure every kid opted to play there because it’s so easy to get on the field. Who’d have thunk? That should make RR happy….you know, so all those poor local Folsom kids are now shoe ins to see the field. All glory to god.

I think that I see your point. So are you saying that a talented running back with college potential should attend Encina (his neighborhood school) over Grant? Or Florin over Monterey Trails?

I thought I was fairly clear. I believe a true competitor love challenges and doesn’t feel the need to stack the deck or front run in order to win.

There are some that will steal money from the bank in a game of monopoly in order to win the game. And there are others that realize that’s not really winning and their pride and competitive nature won’t allow them to do it. The latter tend to need even greater odds to overcome in order to prove to themselves how good they are.

If you subscribe to and excuse the former tactic — more power to you. We’re just clearly on polar opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard. Such is life.

Best example I can point to is Bo Jackson choosing Auburn over Alabama in part because Bear Bryant told him that the Tide hadn’t lost to Auburn in nearly 10 years and wasn’t going to lose to them anytime soon. That was the extra challenge Jackson needed and guess who scored the game winning TD as a freshman to beat Bama that season?

Last edited:
I think I actually agree with your take. Sometimes you only get one shot in this life and if I’m a kid with D1 potential I’m going to put myself in the best position possible to capture my dreams. We live in a cold world and that’s the sad truth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT