ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Open Seeding

letsski

Hall of Famer
Dec 5, 2002
Last year CCS seeded eight teams for the Open Division. Based on MaxPreps rankings and/or SF Chronicles' top eight, here are the teams that would go.
MaxPreps: Archbishop Mitty, SHC, Los Gatos, Palo Alto, Monte Vista, Branham, S.I., Crystal Springs.
SF Chron: Archbishop Mitty, SHC, Los Gatos, Palo Alto, Crystal Springs. Pinewood, M-A. Others to consider: Evergreen Valley, Valley Christian. Thoughts? Will they send that many publics into the Open or will they place a St. Francis or other private?

To be in the OPEN one must have open caliber teams. Outside of Mitty and SHC, I don't see any other teams. just another way for CCS to get more teams in the open.

Reactions: Mommabasketball
Agree that only Mitty & SHC are candidates for Nor Cal open this year. But that's what makes this fun. (6) spots remain.

I think SI is in. They got and will get hammered by Mitty and may lose twice to SHC, but should win the rest to finish third in the WCAL. I'd be surprised if either St. Francis or Valley Christian make it. They're both having down years. Let's say we're down to (5) seats on the lifeboat.

Paly should be in. It has pedigree. It played a strong schedule, though no marquee win, and it will finish first or second in its league with roughly 20 victories. Los Gatos is similar. It's a known name. It beat Paly and will finish well. Branham is going to have a glittering record with wins over Los Gatos and Valley. So I think they're in too. That's three publics and (2) spots left.

The WBAL winner(s) -- Pinewood? Crystal? Someone else? Still a lot to be decided there. Pinewood has its name, its history, and wins over Salesian and Moreau (plus Los Gatos). They also have a star player. Unless they falter further down the stretch, they have to go, right?

That would make seven. For the last spot, Crystal is a nice story with a win over Pinewood and some non-cupcake others. Monta Vista would have to beat Paly or Los Gatos, maybe both. M-A if it runs the table? Has a PCAL team ever played in open? Hollister is solid, but lost to others in contention.

Can someone remind me whether a team has to accept an open invitation? I vaguely recall some teams turning it down in the past. Regardless, the new system of playing three games in a pool is a huge improvement because a one and done v. Mitty would be highly unappetizing.

Reactions: letsski and blex20
Can someone remind me whether a team has to accept an open invitation? I vaguely recall some teams turning it down in the past.
Can't recall if you have to accept the invite, I think once you are chosen you are in. Ask cappuchino a few years back. Don't think they were real thrilled to be there.

If you're a coach it helps to have friends in high places, or to have someone volunteer for the open like HMB did last year. HMB had no business being in the open, but it took the decision to send Los Gatos out of the committees hands and the committee was able to protect their friend, allowing the cats to go on and win a CCS title in D1.

Agree that only Mitty & SHC are candidates for Nor Cal open this year. But that's what makes this fun. (6) spots remain.

I think SI is in. They got and will get hammered by Mitty and may lose twice to SHC, but should win the rest to finish third in the WCAL. I'd be surprised if either St. Francis or Valley Christian make it. They're both having down years. Let's say we're down to (5) seats on the lifeboat.

Paly should be in. It has pedigree. It played a strong schedule, though no marquee win, and it will finish first or second in its league with roughly 20 victories. Los Gatos is similar. It's a known name. It beat Paly and will finish well. Branham is going to have a glittering record with wins over Los Gatos and Valley. So I think they're in too. That's three publics and (2) spots left.

The WBAL winner(s) -- Pinewood? Crystal? Someone else? Still a lot to be decided there. Pinewood has its name, its history, and wins over Salesian and Moreau (plus Los Gatos). They also have a star player. Unless they falter further down the stretch, they have to go, right?

That would make seven. For the last spot, Crystal is a nice story with a win over Pinewood and some non-cupcake others. Monta Vista would have to beat Paly or Los Gatos, maybe both. M-A if it runs the table? Has a PCAL team ever played in open? Hollister is solid, but lost to others in contention.

Can someone remind me whether a team has to accept an open invitation? I vaguely recall some teams turning it down in the past. Regardless, the new system of playing three games in a pool is a huge improvement because a one and done v. Mitty would be highly unappetizing.
I dont mind being in CCS Open as it guarantees a Nor Cal bid. However Mitty is just on a different level and they beat SH by 20 without arguably their two best players. SH should be in D1 bracket for Nor Cal and not Open. But I wouldnt be surprised if they were put in Open.

Reactions: TheHillZ and blex20
I dont mind being in CCS Open as it guarantees a Nor Cal bid. However Mitty is just on a different level and they beat SH by 20 without arguably their two best players. SH should be in D1 bracket for Nor Cal and not Open. But I wouldnt be surprised if they were put in Open.
SHC seems to be right on the line of Open D1. Win over Carondelet could be decider if Carondelet goes on a run in sections. If these six go, may or may not need one more.

Folsom
St. Mary's
Piedmont
Salesian
Oakland Tech
Mitty

I assume you're saying McKenna and Morgan are arguably their best two. McKenna did play vs SHC. Reigning WCAL MVP Morgan did not.

SHC seems to be right on the line of Open D1. Win over Carondelet could be decider if Carondelet goes on a run in sections. If these six go, may or may not need one more.

Folsom
St. Mary's
Piedmont
Salesian
Oakland Tech
Mitty
With Etiwanda, LCD and Sierra Canyon all in the South there is no way the CIF doesn't move Clovis West to the North. They have to balance the North and South out somewhat.

So if they go 6 who doesn't go in your 6 listed?

If they go 8 then who is the 8th team? Has to be runner up in the CCS right? Unless the committee hoses the NCS again by taking their OPEN runner-up and thus taking 3 from the NCS.

With Etiwanda, LCD and Sierra Canyon all in the South there is no way the CIF doesn't move Clovis West to the North. They have to balance the North and South out somewhat.

If they go 8 then who is the 8th team? Has to be runner up in the CCS right? Unless the committee hoses the NCS again by taking their OPEN runner-up and thus taking 3 from the NCS.
I agree BUT can someone explain to me (probably wlll be clay) why they are always flip flopping the Central Section? some years they're north, some years they're south...would be nice to see if they could put them in one spot and keep em there.

I liked what they did last year in Open with 7, #1 seed got the 1st round bye. and D1 was loaded with 16 teams. If they want to do 6 with top 2 getting byes, Im okay with that too.

My NorCal OPEN as of today.

I'm going 6 team bracket:

SJS D1 winner. (Folsom/SMS...loser to D1 norcals)
CCS Open Winner (Mitty)
Piedmont
Clovis West
Oakland Tech
NCS Open winner.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS
5. Oakland Tech
6. NCS Open winner (if Salesian switch to 5 as Salesian has h2h with OT)

1/2 get 1st rd bye.
3v6
4v5

We don't need 8 teams in the Norcal Open. That's a solid and fair bracket.

***what I ESPECIALLY like about my 6 team bracket? There are no runner-ups. All won their way in. All section Champs.

Reactions: OnBall8

CCS Open Winner (Mitty)
Piedmont
Clovis West
Oakland Tech
NCS Open winner.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS
5. Oakland Tech

1/2 get 1st rd bye.
3v6
4v5

***what I ESPECIALLY like about my 6 team bracket? There are no runner-ups. All won their way in. All section Champs.
Thats a winning formula. Teams that dont win their leagues/sections should not be in Open. Runner ups should in theory should be bumped down to D1 bracket.

CCS Open Winner (Mitty)
Piedmont
Clovis West
Oakland Tech
NCS Open winner.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS
5. Oakland Tech

1/2 get 1st rd bye.
3v6
4v5

Just like you said last year Guru we earned our way into the open last year as a section runner up. Why would Folsom/SMS loser not be the same? Only 1 team from the SJS? Why only section winners this year? Also only 1 team from CCS? SHCP more than earned their way to Open as section runner up ( assuming that’s how it plays out) just as we did last year. Also a reminder before this all starts that this isn’t “competitive equity” it’s “ Section Equity” as each section must have a certain amount of teams in each bracket. They aren’t seeding true 1 through 16 and putting them into a bracket from open down to D6. Which is why you always play a team from a different section in the 1st round.

CCS Open Winner (Mitty)
Piedmont
Clovis West
Oakland Tech
NCS Open winner.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS
5. Oakland Tech

1/2 get 1st rd bye.
3v6
4v5

After CW's loss Mitty goes to the 2 now. We cannot overlook Clovis, CW has to go their house next time.

Just like you said last year Guru we earned our way into the open last year as a section runner up. Why would Folsom/SMS loser not be the same? Only 1 team from the SJS? Why only section winners this year? Also only 1 team from CCS? SHCP more than earned their way to Open as section runner up ( assuming that’s how it plays out) just as we did last year. Also a reminder before this all starts that this isn’t “competitive equity” it’s “ Section Equity” as each section must have a certain amount of teams in each bracket. They aren’t seeding true 1 through 16 and putting them into a bracket from open down to D6. Which is why you always play a team from a different section in the 1st round.
My OPEN example only has 6 spots. And we are adding Oakland Tech from a section that has never had an Open team. THATS why no runner-ups.

Now if you want to go to 7 or 8 we add runner-ups.

And because of the Piedmont conundrum I don't think the NCS runner up THIS year will go to the Open as they will already have 2 teams going.

Each year the criteria has changed as far as who goes. There have been years when 4 teams from the NCS have gone. There's been years where only 1 from the SJS or CCS has gone. The CIF decides what they are going to do that day...no rhyme or reason.

THIS season looks like a 6 team bracket to me with Oak Tech involved. It makes sense to just go with Champions and no runner-ups. But who knows what the committee will decide.

Last edited:
You don't always play a team from a different section in 1st round. CNs 1st foray into the Norcal Open some years back as the 7 seed opened at the 2 seed CLET.

Again...no rhyme or reason why some years they go with 8 or 6 or even the time when they went with a 5 team bracket. That 5 team bracket only had the runner-up in NCS going. None from SJS or CCS.

Again this year looks like a 6 teamer to me. But if they do go 8 then you are right the runner-ups in the SJS and CCS will most likely go.

You don't always play a team from a different section in 1st round. CNs 1st foray into the Norcal Open some years back as the 7 seed opened at the 2 seed CLET.

Again...no rhyme or reason why some years they go with 8 or 6 or even the time when they went with a 5 team bracket. That 5 team bracket only had the runner-up in NCS going. None from SJS or CCS.

Again this year looks like a 6 teamer to me. But if they do go 8 then you are right the runner-ups in the SJS and CCS will most likely go.
I was referring to D1 through D6 . I may be wrong but I think I’m right. But fair points. I think tech is open. they smacked us. But SMS has handled them twice. How are they not open win or lose SJS.

I was referring to D1 through D6 . I may be wrong but I think I’m right. But fair points. I think tech is open. they smacked us. But SMS has handled them twice. How are they not open win or lose SJS.
And that's a good point about SMS beating OT twice. It would make sense that they would go ahead of OT in the pecking order.

CCS Open Winner (Mitty)
Piedmont
Clovis West
Oakland Tech
NCS Open winner.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS
5. Oakland Tech

1/2 get 1st rd bye.
3v6
4v5

I like the six teams but if St. Mary's loses to Folsom in section finals, they would have to go in before Oakland Tech with two wins over OT. So you would have to go to 7 and potentially 8 with Sacred Heart Cathedral.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I like the six teams but if St. Mary's loses to Folsom in section finals, they would have to go in before Oakland Tech with two wins over OT. So you would have to go to 7 and potentially 8 with Sacred Heart Cathedral.
I really like SHC, but they'd be the sacrificial lamb in the open division.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS/Oakland Tech (depending on who won between Folsom and SMS). one of these three teams would be favorite to win D1 Norcal.
6. NCS Open

Reactions: blex20

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS/Oakland Tech (depending on who won between Folsom and SMS). one of these three teams would be favorite to win D1 Norcal.
6. NCS Open
I agree that SHC won't likely win that bracket, but they have wins over Carondelet, Acalanes and San Rmaon Valley. Those are likely 3 of the top 4 teams in the NCS open Division. If Salesian wins NCS Open and they stick to 6, then they look safe for D1.

Reactions: Scott2138

CCS Open Winner (Mitty)
Piedmont
Clovis West
Oakland Tech
NCS Open winner.

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
4. Folsom/SMS
5. Oakland Tech

Mitty lost to Piedmont and LuHi, and CW gets the nod at #2 in your seeding? This is even before CW lost to Clovis. How is that?

1. Piedmont
2. CW
3. Mitty
6. NCS Open
Coach Jackson and SH have composed quite a turnaround from his year 1 (9-16) to this year (current 15-2). Essentially were the same team from last year. Not sure what the secret sauce is but honestly dont see why CIF wont place them in Open Norcals if they finish regular season at 19-3. They have to play an almost perfect game to beat Mitty by the smallest of margins. You know my feelings about this and I think they should be #1 seed in D1, instead of being "sacrificial lamb" in Open.

Coach Jackson and SH have composed quite a turnaround from his year 1 (9-16) to this year (current 15-2). Essentially were the same team from last year. Not sure what the secret sauce is but honestly dont see why CIF wont place them in Open Norcals if they finish regular season at 19-3. They have to play an almost perfect game to beat Mitty by the smallest of margins. You know my feelings about this and I think they should be #1 seed in D1, instead of being "sacrificial lamb" in Open.
The terminology was changed last year to “sacrificial honor” . It is no longer a lamb. I think we had 9 points at half against Mitty in the open. Bad coaching. SHCP girls can do it!

There could be a lot that went into the program on the uppity up. I always thought LaRyan did a GREAT job and his teams were very good, but he played a preseason schedule that was unlike any other not to mention how hard the WCAL is. Scheduling could be part of that equation and most of all, kids matured a lot during the spring and summer. A year give those Freshman/Sophomores experience.

Coach C, the job you've done at SRV is short of amazing. I had doubts when you took over (not that you're a bad coach, just didn't know much about you) but the culture you've built there and the way your kids play is fantastic-they're really fun to watch. Especially for a public school (no knock) where you get the kids who YOU get.

There could be a lot that went into the program on the uppity up. I always thought LaRyan did a GREAT job and his teams were very good, but he played a preseason schedule that was unlike any other not to mention how hard the WCAL is. Scheduling could be part of that equation and most of all, kids matured a lot during the spring and summer. A year give those Freshman/Sophomores experience.

Coach C, the job you've done at SRV is short of amazing. I had doubts when you took over (not that you're a bad coach, just didn't know much about you) but the culture you've built there and the way your kids play is fantastic-they're really fun to watch. Especially for a public school (no knock) where you get the kids who YOU get.
Appreciate the kind words! I’m John’s son by the way not my dad for anyone reading this. In regards to SHC I personally love their coach. They aren’t underdogs but they play like underdogs. Having a PG that can get you into your offense and break a press I feel like is the most important tool to be good in women’s basketball right now. They might not get the stats but they seem to be the most valuable to a lot of the top teams I’ve seen play and played against.

I applauded coaches like Lyryan for scheduling the best teams for non-league. Schematically it backfired for a year (maybe two?) when they couldnt achieve a .500 record in either non-league or league and ended up missing the playoffs.

I would like to think that SH will be even better next year with the Sawyer twins perhaps back in the fold. The girls programs from what I've seen since the early Harrigan years have had just 2 "blips" but turned it around to be a top 10-15 team.

I have to agree. We were lucky enough to have one season with LyRyan our freshman year. Went to Nike TOC, WCJ and a 3rd preseason tournament. Played against Cameron Brink and her HS team in Arizona. Faced Menlo fresh off their state championship. Beat Antelope after they had a deep run in D1 NorCals. It definitely prepared them for the tough WCAL slate. This is the first year we have had the same coach in successive seasons since, as well.

I think maturity of the players plays a big part in the turnaround. Coach has a full staff this season, where it was just him last year. That can't be overlooked. He's running very tight 7-8 player rotations so the chemistry is on point. And he's loosened the reigns a bit and let the girls play ball. All of that has definitely contributed. Also, what can't be overlooked is just how senior heavy the WCAL was last year. Key for sustained success for SHC will be continuing to attract players. Coach Jackson will need to work hard to keep bringing players into the program, like LyRyan did. Their primary SF competition already have their pipelines in place with AAU programs (SF Sparks and Bay City).

I applauded coaches like Lyryan for scheduling the best teams for non-league. Schematically it backfired for a year (maybe two?) when they couldnt achieve a .500 record in either non-league or league and ended up missing the playoffs.

I would like to think that SH will be even better next year with the Sawyer twins perhaps back in the fold. The girls programs from what I've seen since the early Harrigan years have had just 2 "blips" but turned it around to be a top 10-15 team.
You think the Swayer twins are coming back?

Ok..

1st..I overlooked the fact that SMS beat OT twice and agree if in fact Folsom beats SMS that SMS would go ahead of OT in the OPEN pecking order (as the runner-up).

2nd...I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT "SACRIFICIAL LAMBS". It is what it is...deal with it!!! As a CN supporter I've watched my squad get put into the OPEN as the BOTTOM seed EVERY SINGLE YEAR THEY HAVE BEEN CHOSEN with ZERO chance of hosting a game. CN was given the inexplicable 5 seed in that messed up 5 team bracket (as a section runner-up!).

One year a certain well known Calhi/P2P sports writer told our coach that (and I quote) "someone has to be the sacrificial lamb"....
That was the yr CN went on the road and won 2 games @#2 CLET and @#3 PW before meeting (#1 in the country) Mitty in the finals and our season was ended.

So I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT when it comes to SHC.

IF THE CIF DECIDES TO GO WITH 8 then they ABSOLUTELY should be team #2 from the CCS. If its EIGHT TEAM BRACKET then 7 and 8 should be OT and (assuming SHC gets to the CCS finals) SHC.

NCS 2: Piedmont, NCS Open winner
SJS 2: SMS, Folsom (D1 winner and runner-up)
CCS 2 : Mitty, SHC (as runner-up)
OT
Central Section Champ

Last edited:
Reactions: ClayK and OnBall8
You think the Swayer twins are coming back?
You are more dialed in on that than me. I went with what you said in an earlier thread. You mentioned they are still at the school but not on the team this year due to something that happened. We wont go into it. They are coming from Richmond and their brother was a star at Salesian. If they come back, great. If they dont, thats fine as well. The core of Po, Gallegos and Eade is a really nice building block.

You are more dialed in on that than me. I went with what you said in an earlier thread. You mentioned they are still at the school but not on the team this year due to something that happened. We wont go into it. They are coming from Richmond and their brother was a star at Salesian. If they come back, great. If they dont, thats fine as well. The core of Po, Gallegos and Eade is a really nice building block.
I just thought maybe you had some different insight. I'm not sure they'll be coming back. They are at Salesian and were deemed ineligible for the full season. I'm not sure the details around it and maybe it was at SHC's request, which would be unfortunate. I'm not a big fan of how things played out for them at SHC or after they transferred but, admittedly, I don't know the full details. But from what I do know, I think they got a raw deal.

While we are on the tender subject of sacrificial lambs, dare we remind everyone of the CCS Open Division malpractice in 2022? Proudly public Half Moon Bay opted to join the private/parochial hootenanny and summarily lost all three "contests" by an average of just under 50 digits per outing. Fabulous.

While we are on the tender subject of sacrificial lambs, dare we remind everyone of the CCS Open Division malpractice in 2022? Proudly public Half Moon Bay opted to join the private/parochial hootenanny and summarily lost all three "contests" by an average of just under 50 digits per outing. Fabulous.
Also remember that HMB actively petitioned for the Open and that two of their top players suffered knee injuries at the end of the season. Especially without Dioli they were a completely different team.

smart on their part...they got into norcals not winning a game in playoffs!

I can't see either SMS or Folsom being out of the Open, barring one (or maybe two) upsets.

I can't see why nationally ranked Clovis West will be placed in SoCal with nationally ranked Sierra Canyon, Etiwanda and La Jolla Country Day.

I can't see fewer than two NCS or CCS teams in the NorCal Open, assuming SHC's only remaining losses are to Mitty. (And even with an SHC upset loss, they're likely still in.)

With an eight-team bracket, there is no difference between one and two. So ...

Clovis West/Mitty
Piedmont
SJS champ
NCS champ/Oakland Tech
SJS runner-up

(I forgot Piedmont in the first go-round, but it just makes the case even stronger for eight.

If you go seven, Folsom or SMS is handed a path to glory in D-1.

If you go six, then a quality section champ winds up in D-1 or Clovis West goes South. If Clovis West goes South, though, I concede you have two solid six-team brackets, with CW, Etiwanda, Sierra Canyon, LJCD, Mater Dei and Westview (SD Section) in the SoCal Open.)

Last edited:
I can't see either SMS or Folsom being out of the Open, barring one (or maybe two) upsets.

I can't see why nationally ranked Clovis West will be placed in SoCal with nationally ranked Sierra Canyon, Etiwanda and La Jolla Country Day.

I can't see fewer than two NCS or CCS teams in the NorCal Open, assuming SHC's only remaining losses are to Mitty. (And even with an SHC upset loss, they're likely still in.)

With an eight-team bracket, there is no difference between one and two. So ...

Clovis West/Mitty
SJS champ
NCS champ/Oakland Tech
SJS runner-up
NCS runner-up

(Which means if Cardinal Newman gets to the finals of the six-team NCS Open ... just call it the sacrificial Santa Rosa slot.)
You forgot Piedmont Clay. I don't think the NCS runnerup is going to the OPEN unless they plan on taking 3 from the NCS. Now of course the NCS has always been the "load bearing" Section in Nor Cal in regards to the OPEN. The CIF in the past have taken as many as 4 from the NCS and have always taken at least 2. But this year I cant see more than 2 and with Piedmont being a lock that only leaves the NCS winner.

Regarding CCS open I hope they don't put Crystal Springs in. I think they have zero basketball titles. Let them play Div V or whatever they are and let them have a chance to hang a banner in the gym. I know SI has the WCAL name but they are not an open caliber team this year. They have some blow out losses already with games against Mitty and Sh coming up.

Regarding CCS open I hope they don't put Crystal Springs in. I think they have zero basketball titles. Let them play Div V or whatever they are and let them have a chance to hang a banner in the gym. I know SI has the WCAL name but they are not an open caliber team this year. They have some blow out losses already with games against Mitty and Sh coming up.
They do have a couple CCS D5 banners hanging on that gym already. Or, at least, I assume they're hanging. I've never actually been in it! 🤣 But they have definitely won one. I would agree that open wouldn't be the best option for them. We might see a larger number of public schools in CCS Open this year. But I do think SI is in there as well. Losses to Mitty and SHC aside they, they match up well against some of the other potential open teams like Paly or Los Gatos.

Reactions: TheHillZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT