ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Open Seeding

Last night's SH/SI broadcast on BAOSN was comical when Devine and the other person commented that SH's 2 losses were close ones. Not sure a 20 point loss can be in that category of a close loss unless you expected them to lose by 40 to Mitty.

• Haha
Reactions: blex20
Last night's SH/SI broadcast on BAOSN was comical when Devine and the other person commented that SH's 2 losses were close ones. Not sure a 20 point loss can be in that category of a close loss unless you expected them to lose by 40 to Mitty.
We can brag we lost by the fewest! 🤣🤦‍♂️ And that was with Morgan not playing

Hard to imagine a world without PW in the CCS open... and right now crystal springs has a win over them and is 1st place. Would they really put both of them back down into D5??

Reactions: TheHillZ and blex20
Regarding CCS open I hope they don't put Crystal Springs in. I think they have zero basketball titles. Let them play Div V or whatever they are and let them have a chance to hang a banner in the gym. I know SI has the WCAL name but they are not an open caliber team this year. They have some blow out losses already with games against Mitty and Sh coming up.
An uber wealthy school such as SI with nearly unlimited resources for their sports programs should never bestow themselves to anything lower than Open division.

Hard to imagine a world without PW in the CCS open... and right now crystal springs has a win over them and is 1st place. Would they really put both of them back down into D5??
Good question! Does the CCS have a relegation system like the NCS? If not, were does Pinewood fit? If I'm not mistaken, they've been an open participant almost every year since it's inception.

An uber wealthy school such as SI with nearly unlimited resources for their sports programs should never bestow themselves to anything lower than Open division.
SI has a reputation for being an upper echelon school (wealthy) which doesn't really appeal to certain demographics of students or families. SI has never really been in the mix as a true threat in the last 15-20 years in the WCAL. It's mostly been Mitty and SHC. As you can probably notice, the students from SHC and SI are VERY different, demographically speaking. I think the current coach is doing a wonderful job in making it more of a basketball school with the success she has had the last couple of years.

SI has a reputation for being an upper echelon school (wealthy) which doesn't really appeal to certain demographics of students or families. SI has never really been in the mix as a true threat in the last 15-20 years in the WCAL. It's mostly been Mitty and SHC. As you can probably notice, the students from SHC and SI are VERY different, demographically speaking. I think the current coach is doing a wonderful job in making it more of a basketball school with the success she has had the last couple of years.
Yes, I went to SH. I am very well aware that our student body does not look like their student body. We are the true city school. They on the other hand cant even let poor farmers market folks make a living using their street so they can have parking spaces for their range rovers.

Pinewood, when fully healthy, has every right to be in Open. That being said, how healthy are they?

Reactions: TheHillZ
Good question! Does the CCS have a relegation system like the NCS? If not, were does Pinewood fit? If I'm not mistaken, they've been an open participant almost every year since it's inception.
If they don't go Open then PW would be D5. CCS is enrollment based unless placed in Open.

I would agree that a healthy PW would have a CCS Open resume currentlly and I understand the name on the jersey carries some weight but at some point they need to start winning some games.

They are 7-7 curently with games left against SMS, CN & CLET (and 1 more vs Crystal Springs). The win vs Salesian is obviously a great win but is that enough to get PW in if they end up 13-10? What if they lose all 4 and end 12-11? I would think they need to beat CS and win at least 1 game over the other 3.

That's quite a gauntlet Pinewood still has to run. Worth noting though that Cathedral went to CCS Open last year with a losing record. I don't remember an Open without Pinewood, and I am struggling even to remember an open final without Pinewood.

I think the WBAL winner will make it. Pinewood, if they end up at 13-10 or better, would be the obvious choice. If no WBAL team is selected, the CCS Division 5 bracket will look a lot like extended league play with Pinewood, Crystal, Priory battling it out. That's no fun.

Oh, Summit Shasta is Division 5. They'd be in the mix too.

They do have a couple CCS D5 banners hanging on that gym already. Or, at least, I assume they're hanging. I've never actually been in it! 🤣 But they have definitely won one. I would agree that open wouldn't be the best option for them. We might see a larger number of public schools in CCS Open this year. But I do think SI is in there as well. Losses to Mitty and SHC aside they, they match up well against some of the other potential open teams like Paly or Los Gatos.
Then Pinewood is out of the CCS Open as well.

Because of the obvious and well-documented differences between public school programs and their private/parochial counterparts, the CCS Open Division, as it has in the past, should be made up primarily of the latter outfits. Their clear advantages make that so.

A healthy(ish) Pinewood team hammed Menlo tonight 63-38. They have a 30+ point win against Priory and a 30+ win v. Harker. They also beat Los Gatos before Ava Uhrich became eligible, plus Salesian and Moreau on the road.

There are not 8 better teams in CCS.

A healthy(ish) Pinewood team hammed Menlo tonight 63-38. They have a 30+ point win against Priory and a 30+ win v. Harker. They also beat Los Gatos before Ava Uhrich became eligible, plus Salesian and Moreau on the road.

Still begs the question, what if they don't win league? I agree they are open, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what logic would be used if CS finishes above them.

So crystal springs has to be in as well, correct?

Still begs the question, what if they don't win league? I agree they are open, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what logic would be used if CS finishes above them.
Rules to qualify for CCS state you must go .500 either non league or league. Interesting note is that even if you do qualify by achieving a .500 record, you are not guaranteed a spot in CCS playoffs. I believe currently Pinewood is 4-6 non league and 4-1 league with 5 league game left. Probably safe to assume they are in good shape for the remaining league games.

I'll say this, unlike last year's open when HMB and SH were clearly not to the level of others like SI, VC and Mitty if they go 8 this year, you will have Mitty then 2-8. If they do round robin again, at least there will be more competitive games up and down the bracket.

Yes, I went to SH. I am very well aware that our student body does not look like their student body. We are the true city school. They on the other hand cant even let poor farmers market folks make a living using their street so they can have parking spaces for their range rovers.
Last year's SHC baseball roster was heavily larded with suburban players. South San Francisco, in particular, was well-represented.

Last year's SHC baseball roster was heavily larded with suburban players. South San Francisco, in particular, was well-represented.
I'm not sure what roster you're looking at but there are 9 returners from last year's team and only one of them is from SSF. Two others from the peninsula. The other 6 are all from SF, including the mission district and visitation valley. Two girls who are no longer at the school split time between DC and Richmond. And two graduates were from DC. Two of the new additions this year are also from SF.

So what are those players going to do? Go to a school with a decent baseball program and have a better opportunity of playing or go to Serra and sit on the bench? Seems like an easy choice.

Just watched St. Francis throw a scare into SHC. Cathedral led by 4 or 6 at the half, and won by 10. The outcome wasn't in doubt, but the Lancers were competitive and considerably better than when I saw them in early December. I suppose that happens with young teams. I still don't think SF is a CCS Open qualifier, but better things are ahead for them.

Just watched St. Francis throw a scare into SHC. Cathedral led by 4 or 6 at the half, and won by 10. The outcome wasn't in doubt, but the Lancers were competitive and considerably better than when I saw them in early December. I suppose that happens with young teams. I still don't think SF is a CCS Open qualifier, but better things are ahead for them.
They apply a ton of pressure defensively and knock down the open jumper. SHC smoked a ton of layups and the 3 ball wasn't falling. I'm among the group that thinks 2-4 in WCAL should be open and will matchup well with the few public schools that will be placed in open

Based on CCS website, looks like they're anticipating 8 Open teams.

OPEN DIVISION
Round Robin Game 1 Fri, Feb 17 Single games: 7:00 pm; Boys/Girls Doubleheader: TBD High Seed-Home Site
Round Robin Game 2 Mon, Feb 20 Single games: 7:00 pm; Boys/Girls Doubleheader: TBD High Seed-Home Site
Round Robin Game 3 Wed, Feb 22 Single games: 7:00 pm; Boys/Girls Doubleheader: TBD High Seed-Home Site
Championship Fri, Feb. 24 Girls: Time TBA Boys: Time TBA Santa Clara University

Recent results haven't brought much clarity on who those 8 teams will be.

Mitty, SHC are locks. SI should be if it finishes third in the WCAL. St Francis is eligible at 9-9 and could give the league a fourth team, but I think they have to beat someone other than Valley Christian or Presentation. They don't have a marquee win to their credit, and have losses to Hollister and Sacred Heart Prep (as well as SHC). Still thinking 3 from the WCAL.

Paly, Los Gatos, Branham are all strong publics with pretty records. M-A could grab a spot if they win out. Ditto for Hollister. But I think four publics max.

In the WBAL, Pinewood routed Priory again last night (65-20). They have a rematch with first-place Crystal next week. Thinking Pinewood goes if it wins that game and wins out. Crystal goes if it wins and wins out. Maybe both go regardless, if M-A falters.

Recent results haven't brought much clarity on who those 8 teams will be.

Mitty, SHC are locks. SI should be if it finishes third in the WCAL. St Francis is eligible at 9-9 and could give the league a fourth team, but I think they have to beat someone other than Valley Christian or Presentation. They don't have a marquee win to their credit, and have losses to Hollister and Sacred Heart Prep (as well as SHC). Still thinking 3 from the WCAL.

Paly, Los Gatos, Branham are all strong publics with pretty records. M-A could grab a spot if they win out. Ditto for Hollister. But I think four publics max.

In the WBAL, Pinewood routed Priory again last night (65-20). They have a rematch with first-place Crystal next week. Thinking Pinewood goes if it wins that game and wins out. Crystal goes if it wins and wins out. Maybe both go regardless, if M-A falters.
Buckle up because it's going to be a fun final 10 days of league play

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT