ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Open - Third Game Results

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Pinewood 71 Sacred Heart 50. Rumors of Pinewood’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. The Panthers finish undefeated in pool play, and move on to the finals to take on Mitty for the umpteenth consecutive year.

Mitty 85 Los Gatos 27. Mitty won its three pool games by an average of 58 points. Haley Hernandez played ferocious defense, McKenna Woliczko ran the floor like a gazelle, and Morgan Cheli displayed her usual brilliance helping the Monarchs to a 60-12 halftime lead. Only Coach Phillips’ mercy and a running clock kept Mitty under 100. Doc may have to summon Pinewood’s ancestors to keep things close in the finals.

Palo Alto 47 St. Ignatius 33. To those who say publics don’t belong in CCS Open, I give you the Vikings who knocked off not one, but two WCAL teams to finish second in their pool.

Crystal Springs 52 Branham 37. Terrific showing for the Gryphons in their maiden open voyage. The WBAL Co-Champs with Pinewood were seeded #8, but notched convincing road wins against Los Gatos (#4) and Branham (#5). These guys deserve a home game in Norcals.

Finally, Dear NFHS – If you are going to demand exclusive streaming rights to CCS games, maybe make sure the video feeds are working properly. As far as I can tell, not one of tonight’s Open games was available. Grandparents all over the country are up in arms.

Last edited:
NFHS please stream CCS Championship between Archbishop Mitty vs Pinewood on Friday night (2/24).
Otherwise-I'm going to be forced to cancel my subscription. Thank you.

Reactions: SidelineToSideline
NFHS usually does a good job on the section finals. I think they partner with companies that do a good job during the season

Rest of the time it is hit and miss.

Need an awesome attending fan to broadcast a stream on their youtube/fb page to let the masses in. Cant count on NFHS.

Reactions: blex20
Need an awesome attending fan to broadcast a stream on their youtube/fb page to let the masses in. Cant count on NFHS.
Is that even possible to do? I know in our CCS games, one of the announcements is that NFHS holds the exclusive streaming rights to games and that any other streams of their contests are not permitted. I have no idea how they would actually police that, but I did consider streaming our games on my YT channel. I've been less than satisfied with the NFHS coverage or ability to even find some of the games during the playoffs...

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Is that even possible to do? I know in our CCS games, one of the announcements is that NFHS holds the exclusive streaming rights to games and that any other streams of their contests are not permitted. I have no idea how they would actually police that, but I did consider streaming our games on my YT channel. I've been less than satisfied with the NFHS coverage or ability to even find some of the games during the playoffs...
Right. I cant imagine NFHS having the resources to police fans from doing so. They are probably too busy trying to broadcast or put out a decent product since there are people paying for their service and they must deliver. And if it gets to the point where they ask someone to cease broadcasting, good luck to them trying to prove anything. Again, resources.

I want to know why Riordan was able to broadcast all 3 of their CCS games. Assuming they paid a little bit of cash to CCS/NFHS to be given rights to that.

Reactions: SidelineToSideline
After seeing the final Open Pool Standings, where do we think everyone will be seeded? I know its a crap shoot... but if two went open last year, and the next five went D1, at the very least, I would imagine Paly, SHC and Crystal go D1? Branham and Los Gatos, who were missing players all Open go D2?

Im a newbie here. So just confused.

After seeing the final Open Pool Standings, where do we think everyone will be seeded? I know its a crap shoot... but if two went open last year, and the next five went D1, at the very least, I would imagine Paly, SHC and Crystal go D1? Branham and Los Gatos, who were missing players all Open go D2?

Im a newbie here. So just confused.
It's a great question. SHC had a sub-500 record last season, just two league wins and still managed to be placed in open where they subsequently lost all 3 games. They ended up in D1 as a 13 seed. I wonder how much weight is placed on the tournament results vs regular season record. SHC was without their starting forward (top 3 scorer) all tournament and she won't be back for NorCal's either. So having a higher seed (and home court) might be crucial for them to at least go a round or two.

I'm sure folks will have a lot to say about Norcal seedings in the days to come. I strongly agree with those saying that this is a down year for CCS, especially relative to NCS. In my view, Mitty is the only Norcal open worthy team from CCS. Folks on this board (not me) were seriously arguing two weeks ago that Pinewood did not even belong in the CCS Open group. But unless it pulls off what would be a miracle win over Mitty, Pinewood will not be in Norcal open. That's all the more true if it's just a six-team group, and/or if the Central teams come north.

Pinewood and SHCP are D1 material. Both are name programs with bigtime wins under their belts this year. (Pinewood over Salesian, Moreau, SHCP; SHCP over Acalanes, SRV and CLet). Pinewood should get some D1 wins, and SHCP certainly would too if it were at full strength. Very tough break losing a big piece at this stage. Don't know how the committee views such things.

I thought Palo Alto actually outplayed Pinewood for much of their pool game, and Paly did split with SHCP this year. I can see them getting stuck towards the bottom of D1, but I would not argue if they were put into D2 in light of convincing losses to SRV and Buchanan, a top 5 Central team, and two losses to Los Gatos. Wherever they go, if they are hitting their threes, they are dangerous.

Crystal Springs does not belong in D1. For perspective, Crystal was winless in the lower division of the WBAL in both 2018 and 2019. This is not, or at least was not, a place people go to play basketball. Three years later, without any transfers, the school of roughly 350 kids beat Pinewood, tied them for the upper league title, qualified for CCS Open, and then, as the #8 seed, actually won two of three pool games. Pretty remarkable. But as their game against Mitty showed, Crystal is not ready to hang with basketball nobility. I think Crystal ought to be among the top D3 seeds, but they are D2 at best.

Los Gatos is still ranked above Crystal on MaxPreps. The Wildcats might have won head to head during CCS but for a volleyball tournament costing them their top scorer. With her, they have a heap of size. I'd put them in the same neighborhood as Crystal. Branham is in that zip code too, maybe a few seeds lower. Its center creates matchup problems, especially for opponents that have only a day or two to prepare. But the Bruins are limited offensively.

SI as the #6 seed was winless in CCS open play and is now 12-14. It doesn't boast a marquee win, but it has been competitive in losses to some D1 types. I'd say low D3 seed.

Reactions: jstackhouse1176
Was that PW vs Salesian game a outlier… we’re you at that game… only home loss
For Salesian the whole year???

It's a great question. SHC had a sub-500 record last season, just two league wins and still managed to be placed in open where they subsequently lost all 3 games. They ended up in D1 as a 13 seed. I wonder how much weight is placed on the tournament results vs regular season record. SHC was without their starting forward (top 3 scorer) all tournament and she won't be back for NorCal's either. So having a higher seed (and home court) might be crucial for them to at least go a round or two.
Home court didnt at all help SH in CCS. You know whats better than home court? Inez playing.

Reactions: TheHillZ
I'm sure folks will have a lot to say about Norcal seedings in the days to come. I strongly agree with those saying that this is a down year for CCS, especially relative to NCS. In my view, Mitty is the only Norcal open worthy team from CCS. Folks on this board (not me) were seriously arguing two weeks ago that Pinewood did not even belong in the CCS Open group. But unless it pulls off what would be a miracle win over Mitty, Pinewood will not be in Norcal open. That's all the more true if it's just a six-team group, and/or if the Central teams come north.

Pinewood and SHCP are D1 material. Both are name programs with bigtime wins under their belts this year. (Pinewood over Salesian, Moreau, SHCP; SHCP over Acalanes, SRV and CLet). Pinewood should get some D1 wins, and SHCP certainly would too if it were at full strength. Very tough break losing a big piece at this stage. Don't know how the committee views such things.

I thought Palo Alto actually outplayed Pinewood for much of their pool game, and Paly did split with SHCP this year. I can see them getting stuck towards the bottom of D1, but I would not argue if they were put into D2 in light of convincing losses to SRV and Buchanan, a top 5 Central team, and two losses to Los Gatos. Wherever they go, if they are hitting their threes, they are dangerous.

Crystal Springs does not belong in D1. For perspective, Crystal was winless in the lower division of the WBAL in both 2018 and 2019. This is not, or at least was not, a place people go to play basketball. Three years later, without any transfers, the school of roughly 350 kids beat Pinewood, tied them for the upper league title, qualified for CCS Open, and then, as the #8 seed, actually won two of three pool games. Pretty remarkable. But as their game against Mitty showed, Crystal is not ready to hang with basketball nobility. I think Crystal ought to be among the top D3 seeds, but they are D2 at best.

Los Gatos is still ranked above Crystal on MaxPreps. The Wildcats might have won head to head during CCS but for a volleyball tournament costing them their top scorer. With her, they have a heap of size. I'd put them in the same neighborhood as Crystal. Branham is in that zip code too, maybe a few seeds lower. Its center creates matchup problems, especially for opponents that have only a day or two to prepare. But the Bruins are limited offensively.

SI as the #6 seed was winless in CCS open play and is now 12-14. It doesn't boast a marquee win, but it has been competitive in losses to some D1 types. I'd say low D3 seed.
No way will the NorCal committee place a WCAL/Open Division team as a low DIII seed. DII at least. SOS is a big factor at the meeting.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Agree…it’s more of a seeding crime to drop someone too far down than to elevate too far up. No gifts please. SI can put 5 athletes on the court and play at a high tempo. They played a high end schedule and struggled but really had only one bad loss.

It would be fun to see all the Catholics in the same bracket though Marin Catholic would be pissed after last year’s seed..of course assuming they survive the backyard brawl with San Marin. San Marin comes ready to play with a bundle of tough seniors…nothing easy with them.

Side note…this Sixers-Grizz game is awesome.

Reactions: MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT