ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Publics/Nor Cal rankings

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
According to the NorCal seeding committee, this is its ranking of the CCS public schools that qualified for the NorCal tourney (all ten are in Division II through Division IV):

1. Aptos
2. Sequoia
3. Palo Alto
4. South S.F.
5. Seaside
6. Aragon
7. Lynbrook
8. Wilcox
9. Silver Creek
10. Menlo-Atherton

Note: These ten will stand for the final CCS public schools' list. Four of the ten, 40 percent, are from the PAL. Sequoia, by the way, has six wins and zero losses over the remaining nine. Aptos generally has been presumed to be the top CCS public from the get-go _ and remains so to the end. Of all the CCS publics, Silver Creek (a CCS Division I champion last year) may have gotten the best 2019 seed _ No.1 in Division IV. Not bad for losing in the CCS Division I semifinals to Sequoia in one-sided fashion.

Last edited:
A note about Aptos: Among the top 75 teams in California, Aptos is tied with Bakersfield for the weakest strength of schedule.

It's possible, of course, to blame a weak league (I don't know), but Aptos originally signed up for the West Coast Jamboree and then pulled out. Central, the team it lost to, came to the Jamboree and went 2-1, beating Aragon by 18 and playing two other close games.

Yes, this is a plug for the WCJ, but it also shows the importance of challenging a team to prepare for postseason.

I would have to say weak league must’ve drive SOS down as there preseason schedule was good.

Mitty
Presentation
SI
SF Mt View
Oakland
Woodside Priory
Palo Alto
Edison
Marin Catholic

The dig seems like sour grapes for not participating in your tournament and sticking in the St Francis MT View tourney. Not sure what else they could do strengthen schedule as it seems like they did what they could.

Few CCS publics challenged themselves in the pre-season as did Aptos. They went out and played an array of strong private/parochials in addition to several league/section champions along the way. Any argument alleging something far different is bogus. By the way, the WCJ is a tremendous undertaking. But offering that Aptos was somehow diminished because it did not participate makes no sense this year.

My mistake ... I should have looked at Aptos' schedule first.

Still a surprise that number was so low.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT