ADVERTISEMENT

Change?

Renard Monroe

Sports Fanatic
Sep 14, 2015
San Francisco
Not a rumor! Bryce Monroe and Emmett Neal, classmates since Kindergarten /1st grade at the San Francisco School on through High School at Sacred Heart Cathedral, both will be transferring from SHC.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4success
Riordan? Would be the best lineup the Crusaders have had in some time. Especially if either of the tall Africans are players

Reactions: nostancenochance
What are the transfer rules regarding private schools would there be a sit out period
or not?

Riordan? Would be the best lineup the Crusaders have had in some time. Especially if either of the tall Africans are players

No wonder the Dr was so jazzed about Riordan's prospects this year!

Unbelievable....and now with the new transfer rules you can be eligible immediately or maybe sit out for 2 to 3 weeks. Nothing drastic.

Wow! If true, a big slap to SHC basketball program. Their offense consisted of Monroe on top and everybody out of the way. I give their coach one more year. Wow, have'nt seen this many interesting transfers into Riordan since the original original Forslund era. Could be interesting on Prieto Kahlo Way (just rolls off the tongue, ha).

Reactions: drmarkppd
Wow! If true, a big slap to SHC basketball program. Their offense consisted of Monroe on top and everybody out of the way. I give their coach one more year. Wow, have'nt seen this many interesting transfers into Riordan since the original original Forslund era. Could be interesting on Prieto Kahlo Way (just rolls off the tongue, ha).

Huge shift underway in City basketball. Riordan vs SI next year just got real interesting with SI's size against Riordan's athleticism / shooting.... SHC will be WCAL doormats for next 2 years at least. I heard that SHC had a transfer from El Cerrito who played with Jelani and Bryce on the AAU - I wonder if he is still headed to Ellis Street?

What’s going on over on Ellis St?!? First, no JV football squad this season, and now word of the Irish’s best hoops players leaving? Has this been confirmed? Though SHC is a league rival, it’s pretty dismaying to see and hope its boys football and basketball programs get back on track.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Confirmed. Look who started the post.
Transfer confirmed to which school? Crusaders would be very strong, well-coached and an exciting team to watch running Curtin’s uptempo team Offense and playing strong D drawn up by new asst coach Forslund

Good luck to Bryce and EJ and to their families. Great kids.

Before people start pointing fingers or play the blame game, I'll just remind everyone that its not the school because seems as though the girls side of the school is sound. Volleyball and basketball is strong and no one leaves. So whatever plan SH has going on for the girls side, its not the same on the boys side. Administration needs to figure it out or the coming years for boys hoops we'll be .... GULP.... worst than Valley Christian.

Before people start pointing fingers or play the blame game, I'll just remind everyone that its not the school because seems as though the girls side of the school is sound. Volleyball and basketball is strong and no one leaves. So whatever plan SH has going on for the girls side, its not the same on the boys side. Administration needs to figure it out or the coming years for boys hoops we'll be .... GULP.... worst than Valley Christian.

Who wants to blame SHC or Basketball program. As people on the board speculated two or three years ago. The better option is Riordan in Basketball, Football (field next year) and Baseball. One can't compare the girls Program vs. Riordan because Riordan doesn't have girls, so the posters argument is weak and not appropriate. I just hope SHC does not cancel the varsity boys program this coming year. But let's be honest most alumni are jumping in joy cause their little Sean can play now. State game would be a goal, but NorCals is a standard since they made it last year. Btw...I don't see Forslund bringing athletes or desire to play at Riordan. It seems to me Curtin is the catalyst.

The school hires the coaches so unless your talking about the academics and social side, it is the school!

Emmett corrected me, they have been together since Preschool! In all honesty this was a very difficult decision and has been weighing heavily on our son . He has fought through some things which is unfair to a 16 year old kid .
We wish SHC hoops all the best.
Not a rumor! Bryce Monroe and Emmett Neal, classmates since Kindergarten /1st grade at the San Francisco School on through High School at Sacred Heart Cathedral, both will be transferring from SHC.

Emmett corrected me, they have been together since Preschool! In all honesty this was a very difficult decision and has been weighing heavily on our son . He has fought through some things which is unfair to a 16 year old kid .

I want to give appropriate recognition to a patent, who wants his son to soar. On HS Prep ball parents understand what is best, it sounds like a great dialog Btwn Father & Son.

Reactions: m4success
The school hires the coaches so unless your talking about the academics and social side, it is the school!

Mr. Robinson. Congrats on Nathan receiving the opportunity to play next level at South Dakota! Im sure you will miss him and vice versa when hes out there.

When you peel all the layers of the onion, sure you can deduct it is the school. I dont know where to really go with this though. There are no publicly known issues on the girls side. LyRyan has the ship sailing steady. I dont recall any girls leaving or any of the parents having issues. Girls stayed 4 years and many have gone on to play college ball somewhere.

I honestly dont know where the boys side is going wrong. We've had a ton of talented kids who were able to excel and showcase their hoops talent since the state title team, however kids have left for whatever reason which is 100% acceptable. Better to leave for personal reasons than to be expelled by the school for something illegal.

I have an example of this disparity. Rainah Smith, played 4 years, model SHC student athlete, graduated and I believe plays college ball. Younger brother Kimari, transfers out after 9th grade, is doing well at Mission btw. I dont know what happened there. If its financial, then of course that makes sense. But why wouldnt he have stayed and played along side Bryce, Gary, etc? Too many guards? Not enough opportunities? I dont know.

Who wants to blame SHC or Basketball program. As people on the board speculated two or three years ago. The better option is Riordan in Basketball, Football (field next year) and Baseball. One can't compare the girls Program vs. Riordan because Riordan doesn't have girls, so the posters argument is weak and not appropriate. I just hope SHC does not cancel the varsity boys program this coming year. But let's be honest most alumni are jumping in joy cause their little Sean can play now. State game would be a goal, but NorCals is a standard since they made it last year. Btw...I don't see Forslund bringing athletes or desire to play at Riordan. It seems to me Curtin is the catalyst.

Captain obvious here stating Riordan doesnt have girls. In that case if you were to compare apples to apples, then your true comparison is going to be Serra, Bellarmine. Outside of that video game football score a few years ago vs Serra and Riordan hoops, there really is no comparison.

Not saying that you said it directly or implied it but Bryce was not in danger of being expelled. He was actually an Ambassador for the school. You can see him on all the brochures. He also wasn't there on a handout. It wasn't financial.
Bryce is a excellent student as well. Academics and Athletics need to go hand and hand in our family. Athletics at this point is a big part of his life. We need our son smiling when we send him off to school. As parents we did everything we could to keep our son at SHC, met with faculty, coaching staff, etc... we tried!

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Not saying that you said it directly or implied it but Bryce was not in danger of being expelled. He was actually an Ambassador for the school. You can see him on all the brochures. He also wasn't there on a handout. It wasn't financial.
Bryce is a excellent student as well. Academics and Athletics need to go hand and hand in our family. Athletics at this point is a big part of his life. We need our son smiling when we send him off to school. As parents we did everything we could to keep our son at SHC, met with faculty, coaching staff, etc... we tried!
That's all I will say on that. We appreciate the opportunity that Bryce had at SHC, new chapter now.

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Captain obvious here stating Riordan doesnt have girls. In that case if you were to compare apples to apples, then your true comparison is going to be Serra, Bellarmine. Outside of that video game football score a few years ago vs Serra and Riordan hoops, there really is no comparison.

Do you really want to bring up FB, or should we just skip the lack of JV.

Too easy...come back when you can field a team. Drop

I love how SHC poster fall for easy set ups.

Btw...I know you can't compare to Serra or the Bells. But is SF Mercey starts, SHC will see max exsodus as predicted....

Last edited:
SI, SH and Riordan started as all-boys schools in San Francisco. It is an apples to apples comparison as the original Holy Trinity were urban high schools. Bellarmine and Serra are not. SI and SH (merged with Cathedral Girls HS) chose to go coed to ensure its existence as the suburban shift was starting with families moving away from the City.
Admittedly, Riordan was at risk in closing its doors over a decade ago. The school experienced fits and starts as it moved to a President-led administration rather than run by the Marianists. Some posters even stated Riordan's demise was nearing...The priority was finding new revenue streams (boarding school), hiring a biz development director in charge of securing funding from alumni and the community at large, developing a curriculum setting it apart from the other City schools offering vocational/STEAM, auto shop and the arts that attracts young men. Lastly, settle on a strategy to make its sports programs competitive in the tough WCAL. It's still a work in progress, but you are seeing small steps achieved being supported by the Admin, a capable AD/staff, coaches, students, parents and alumni.
As much as Riordan has seen kids transfer out, they are in turn having kids transfer in.
This past decade student-athletes of color in the main sports of Football and Basketball have had excellent GPA's, valedictorians, D-1 and D-2 scholarships, gaining acceptance to top academic schools like Stanford.
Brotherhood is real on Phelan Ave. (err Frido Kahlo Way lol) as the perfect example is a promising student-athlete of color was asked to leave his final months of his senior year because his grades were suffering. He returned after promising his parents to get his diploma and attended graduation ceremonies 2 years ago - ten years after the fact. He remembered his teachers saying you need to be held accountable and is now a top executive running Apple Music's content.

Last edited:
Someone got lost on Geary, thank you for the in depth history.

It is just a sad delimia starting on Ellis a couple of year ago and now "the Chicken are coming home to roost"

Mr. Monroe, 1000% was not implying Bryce. Was just a general situation of A or B. Leaving a school or getting kicked out. No way a kid of Bryce’s personality and maturity would be ever kicked out. You’ve done a great job raising a fine young man in the classroom and on the court.

Thinking ahead, that is going to be one exciting team. You have Bryce, EJ, Jelani, Chimea, big men coming in to go with Johnson, Turner and Cross. Riordan is extremely deep.
This is winning WCAL deep and qualifying for Open Division in NorCals deep.

SI, SH and Riordan started as all-boys schools in San Francisco. It is an apples to apples comparison as the original Holy Trinity were urban high schools. Bellarmine and Serra are not. SI and SH (merged with Cathedral Girls HS) chose to go coed to ensure its existence as the suburban shift was starting with families moving away from the City.
Admittedly, Riordan was at risk in closing its doors over a decade ago. The school experienced fits and starts as it moved to a President-led administration rather than run by the Marianists. Some posters even stated Riordan's demise was nearing...The priority was finding new revenue streams (boarding school), hiring a biz development director in charge of securing funding from alumni and the community at large, developing a curriculum setting it apart from the other City schools offering vocational/STEAM, auto shop and the arts that attracts young men. Lastly, settle on a strategy to make its sports programs competitive in the tough WCAL. It's still a work in progress, but you are seeing small steps achieved being supported by the Admin, a capable AD/staff, coaches, students, parents and alumni.
As much as Riordan has seen kids transfer out, they are in turn having kids transfer in.
This past decade student-athletes of color in the main sports of Football and Basketball have had excellent GPA's, valedictorians, D-1 and D-2 scholarships, gaining acceptance to top academic schools like Stanford.
Brotherhood is real on Phelan Ave. (err Frido Kahlo Way lol) as the perfect example is a promising student-athlete of color was asked to leave his final months of his senior year because his grades were suffering. He returned after promising his parents to get his diploma and attended graduation ceremonies 2 years ago - ten years after the fact. He remembered his teachers saying you need to be held accountable and is now a top executive running Apple Music's content.

Great stuff as always Jordan.

Reactions: jordan24
Do you really want to bring up FB, or should we just skip the lack of JV.

Too easy...come back when you can field a team. Drop

FOH!
since 2004, ARHS is 5-9 against SH in football. SH, a school that doesn’t even have their own field, who is supposed to be the doormat every year in football. And in some years that lone WCAL win was against SH! What’s that say about you? F....O....H!

Yah skip JVs, no one gives two licks about JV football except you I guess.

Oh yes, I can’t wait for the MASS EXODUS.

Medicinal? Pass that around!

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
We can't get them all,,,Warrior Bench", but we are not looking like the SUNS

Isn't there another FB transfer? I am just saying the Max Exodus has started I am sure the SHC alumni is counting spots until little Sean gets PT

All I can say, the boys will be embraced and the parents respected.

Bryce and EJ became acquainted with each other when Bryce was 3 and EJ was 4 in the 3 Year Pre-School Program at the prestigious San Francisco School. I look at Bryce as a Son, Mr. Monroe knows this. My prayers and support to Bryce as he takes a step further to reach HIS ultimate academic and athletic goals. Both boys are excellent students, so the Academic Foundation between the two boys are solid like concrete. Reach for the Sky and don’t let no one discourage you. No one has walked a mile in their shoes, so I encourage these young men to keep striving and keep reaching. I, Emmett Neal, Sr., wish SHC well and nothing but the best moving forward. Change, although difficult sometimes, can be a healthy process.

Heard Emmett is not going to Riordan.
You heard correctly, Emmett is not going to attend Riordan, he will not be a Crusader. Interestingly, EJ has an Uncle, John Neal, Jr., who is a Riordan Alum - Class of 1980. He also has an Uncle on his Mom’s side, Aaron Criswell, a Riordan Football standout, a Riordan Alum - Class of 2010. Emmett’s little Brother, Julian Neal, began at Riordan as an incoming Freshman in 2017, but as circumstances would have it, I transferred him to my alma mater, Mission High School in San Francisco. I will announce once everything is official. I’m proud of my Son EJ. He made the decision to attend SHC, when he was in the 7th grade and he made his decision to pursue another path. As a Father, I can only support his decisions and allow him to learn more about himself and the world in the process. If I didn’t think it was a good decision, nothing would have taken place, as I still make the ultimate decision. I’m excited for his new journey, on a new path. Oh, I almost forgot, my boy’s Maternal Grandfather, Mr. Gerald Criswell, Coach’s Riordan’s Freshman Baseball Team, either the A or B Team.

Last edited:
You heard correctly, Emmett is not going to attend Riordan, he will not be a Crusader. Interestingly, EJ has an Uncle, John Neal, Jr., who is a Riordan Alum - Class of 1980. He also has an Uncle on his Mom’s side, Aaron Criswell, a Riordan Football standout, a Riordan Alum - Class of 2010. Emmett’s little Brother, Julian Neal, began at Riordan as an incoming Freshman in 2017, but as circumstances would have it, I transferred him to my alma mater, Mission High School in San Francisco. I will announce once everything is official. I’m proud of my Son EJ. He made the decision to attend SHC, when he was in the 7th grade and he made his decision to pursue another path. As a Father, I can only support his decisions and allow him to learn more about himself and the world in the process. If I didn’t think it was a good decision, nothing would have taken place, as I still make the ultimate decision. I’m excited for his new journey, on a new path.

Small world story, I had a Humanities class with you at SFSU. You were and probably still are a funny guy. Great job being EJ's dad. Really a joy to watch him play and grow these 3 years at SH.

EJ and Bryce are both great players. They both play hard and I really enjoyed watching them play. Wherever EJ ends up I’m sure he will lead the team in charges taken!

And Bryce and Jelani will be as dynamic a backcourt as we’ve seen in WCAL in a long while!

That being said there is something wrong at SH with so much talent leaving. We all know the Nathan Robinson circumstances and how he thrived his senior year. This looks like a continuation of that trend. Best of luck to both of these young men.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT