ADVERTISEMENT

CIF bylaw 1901

Jan 7, 2015
Here is a link to this law

At the April 2016 Federated Council meeting CIF Bylaw 1901.C. was approved, which states:

Team camps and other off-season activities are allowable with the following equipment only: football, pads, blocking sleds and football shoes. (This Bylaw is effective immediately)

Please ensure your football teams are following this new Bylaw as well as any Section Bylaw, which may be more restrictive.

I personally think this by law is not good for teams.

I love how the NCS and CIF says teams can't use helmets until July 25th then try and get everybody to buy the soft shell helmets. Well I'm looking at what is on the allowed equipment list and no where does it say soft shell helmets are approved. All it says is helmets can't be used and they don't distinguish between hard or soft. Interesting....

I love how the NCS and CIF says teams can't use helmets until July 25th then try and get everybody to buy the soft shell helmets. Well I'm looking at what is on the allowed equipment list and no where does it say soft shell helmets are approved. All it says is helmets can't be used and they don't distinguish between hard or soft. Interesting....
The soft ones are OK

The soft ones are OK
Yes, I know they are. I was just venting about the new helmet rule. If you go by verbatim what the NCS bylaws say they're not written in for approval. Just another way of separating the haves from the have not on which schools can afford another piece of equipment and who can't.

Sadly the CIF is buckling under political pressure. I question if this guys are "football" guys. Not to say they have to make rules in favor of football but make rules that make sense. They think kids get hurt from too much contact, so solution- lets limit contact. Players need to wear helmets for couple of reasons.-- since they will be wearing them Aug-Nov they need to get comfortable and accustomed to having helmet on,, especially younger kids. In 7on7 it could actually help with preventing injury from a fall. CV had those soft shell things on last week at Laney along with some hi-tech shock pads on shoulders--looked dumb and useless! Pads were loose fitting and I saw several shells come off

As far as pads and camps during summer, they missed the boat. Instead of ELIMINATING contact and team camps they should have ONLY allowed team camps. Its a controlled environment, trainers are readily available and it would help teams be prepared for competition. Now what they have created come July 25, teams are going to feel they are "behind", not as much emphasis will be put on tackling technique and kids will not be accustomed to contact. I think they (CIF) have completely done the opposite of what they were trying to do.

I agree contact should be limited and monitored closely and player safety is priority #1. But I think they have gone about this the wrong way

Reality is this concussion issue is getting way out of hand. And by that I mean its great to recognize head injuries and how to properly treat them. But all these rules trying to change the game, etc.....is over the top. Reality is maybe one or two kids suffer a head injury/concussion a season per team. Base that on teams being 30 to 45 kids deep on average, it's not that dramatic or wide spread as people are being lead to believe. I would bet ankle, knee, wrist, shoulder, etc, injuries are way more likely and happen more often than head injuries. And explain to me if we are trying to limit head injuries why are we removing a device designed to protect your head? It's not like the player is going to be more cautious, when the ball is in the air players are going to go get it. Just plain silly if you ask me.

Here is a link to this law

At the April 2016 Federated Council meeting CIF Bylaw 1901.C. was approved, which states:

Team camps and other off-season activities are allowable with the following equipment only: football, pads, blocking sleds and football shoes. (This Bylaw is effective immediately)

Please ensure your football teams are following this new Bylaw as well as any Section Bylaw, which may be more restrictive.

I personally think this by law is not good for teams.
Genius idea to protect players heads? You have to at minimum allow helmets. Makes you ask the questions about their thought process, intent, and who is involved when making these rules.

Reality is this concussion issue is getting way out of hand. And by that I mean its great to recognize head injuries and how to properly treat them. But all these rules trying to change the game, etc.....is over the top. Reality is maybe one or two kids suffer a head injury/concussion a season per team. Base that on teams being 30 to 45 kids deep on average, it's not that dramatic or wide spread as people are being lead to believe. I would bet ankle, knee, wrist, shoulder, etc, injuries are way more likely and happen more often than head injuries. And explain to me if we are trying to limit head injuries why are we removing a device designed to protect your head? It's not like the player is going to be more cautious, when the ball is in the air players are going to go get it. Just plain silly if you ask me.

Do you have a source for your data? I doubt it's one or two kids per team. The main issue, to my knowledge, is the constant hits to the head, play after play, month after month. Big hits or not. That is what is thought to trigger degredation of the brain. Soccer is facing similar issues with the amount of headers in practices and games.

Do you have a source for your data? I doubt it's one or two kids per team. The main issue, to my knowledge, is the constant hits to the head, play after play, month after month. Big hits or not. That is what is thought to trigger degredation of the brain. Soccer is facing similar issues with the amount of headers in practices and games.

Do you have a source to prove it wrong? In the last decade and a half of my kids playing football yes I would say it a average of about 1- 2 concussions a year. Heck look at the NFL or college football if head injuries were so rampant wouldn't there be significantly more people coming forward with issues? Look I'm not pretending that head injuries don't happen, or that they are no big deal. But you can't legislate injuries out of sport. And yes I would maintain there are far more leg, ankle, arm, shoulder, etc, injuries than there are significant head injuries. The thing is once that head injury happens what needs to be looked at is how long the player is shelved? A week? Two? Season? That's more the issue for me rather than hey let's not wear helmets, but still run around at full speed at 7 on 7s and such. That's some moronic logic to me. Right up there with it's the guns fault for the murder, it's the helmets fault for the head injury........

I asked the question more to see if you made it up or if you had a source. I didn't want people reading it to accept it as fact if it is not.

And of course there are scores of shoulder and leg injuries throughout a season. The reason that head injuries get much more attention is that brain tissue doesn't heal or regenerate itself like other tissues in the body. There are some studies that show that the brain may compensate in some ways, but in general, once brain tissue is damaged, it is damaged forever. That is why this is a critical issue for all sports.

New I asked the question more to see if you made it up or if you had a source. I didn't want people reading it to accept it as fact if it is not.

And of course there are scores of shoulder and leg injuries throughout a season. The reason that head injuries get much more attention is that brain tissue doesn't heal or regenerate itself like other tissues in the body. There are some studies that show that the brain may compensate in some ways, but in general, once brain tissue is damaged, it is damaged forever. That is why this is a critical issue for all sports.

Which is why I said what needs to change is how the athlete/player is handled once a head injury has happened. Having players run around without head protection isn't going to prevent head injury. Limiting the amount of practice in a particular sport won't minimize risk or head injury, in fact it may increase injury because less time will be spent on technique and more time hitting because of limited contact throughout summer. I fully agree head injuries are serious business,I don't agree with the action that's being taken.

• 47% of all reported sports concussions occur during high school football
  • 1 in 5 high school athletes will sustain a sports concussion during the season
  • 33% of high school athletes who have a sports concussion report two or more in the same year
  • 4 to 5 million concussions occur annually, with rising numbers among middle school athletes
  • 90% of most diagnosed concussions do not involve a loss of consciousness
Real numbers. And most aren't aware that sub-concussive collisions are as damaging and exponentially more frequent than diagnosed concussions.

@1315 ~ why did you stop there? Continue with the copy and paste from head case......

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

• Football: 64 -76.8
  • Boys' ice hockey: 54
  • Girl's soccer: 33
  • Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
  • Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
  • Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
  • Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
  • Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
  • Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
  • Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
  • Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
  • Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
  • Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
  • Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
  • Girls' gymnastics: 7
Disclaimer: Head Case does NOT offer medical advice. The content on this website is for informational purposes only. Do not rely or act upon information from www.headcasecompany.com without seeking professional medical advice. Do not delay seeing a doctor if you think you have a medical problem. In case of a medical emergency, call 911.

So basically there is 80 reported concussions in football for every 100,000 athletic exposures. That doesn't jive with the 1-5 statistic does it? A football team with 40 players averages 8 concussions every year? I don't doubt that has happened but not every year just not buying that.

Pride- what's your bone? I've not said CTE and concussions are unique to football. And do not insinuate such. Don't take my word for it. You may have heard of the Mayo Clinic.

"The Mayo study, published in the December issue of Acta Neuropathologica, is significant because it moves beyond individual cases and provides one of the first estimates of the prevalence of CTE in an athletic population."

Pride states in his 282 above:
"In the last decade and a half of my kids playing football yes I would say it a (sic) average of about 1- 2 concussions a year. Heck look at the NFL or college football if head injuries were so rampant wouldn't there be significantly more people coming forward with issues?"

Prior to Junior Seau and Dave Duerson putting bullets in their hearts, specifically their hearts so their brains could be studied for CTE, there is ample evidence that NFL players underreported concussions and their symptoms to "get back in the game" or to maintain their persona as "being tough." If you're a NorCal guy read up on Gary Plummer's thoughts on CTE.

If Pride's "my kids" are youth football players, I hope he cares enough to dig deeply into the issue. If they are his progeny, hopefully they didn't play contact until teen years as many NFL dads are doing with their sons.

To use Seau, Duerson or the others you'll have to also include the use of "supplements", the use of steroids is directly tied to the severity of the long term issues.

New Pride- what's your bone? I've not said CTE and concussions are unique to football. And do not insinuate such. Don't take my word for it. You may have heard of the Mayo Clinic.

"The Mayo study, published in the December issue of Acta Neuropathologica, is significant because it moves beyond individual cases and provides one of the first estimates of the prevalence of CTE in an athletic population."

Pride states in his 282 above:
"In the last decade and a half of my kids playing football yes I would say it a (sic) average of about 1- 2 concussions a year. Heck look at the NFL or college football if head injuries were so rampant wouldn't there be significantly more people coming forward with issues?"

Prior to Junior Seau and Dave Duerson putting bullets in their hearts, specifically their hearts so their brains could be studied for CTE, there is ample evidence that NFL players underreported concussions and their symptoms to "get back in the game" or to maintain their persona as "being tough." If you're a NorCal guy read up on Gary Plummer's thoughts on CTE.

If Pride's "my kids" are youth football players, I hope he cares enough to dig deeply into the issue. If they are his progeny, hopefully they didn't play contact until teen years as many NFL dads are doing with their sons.

My bone is just that, it's not unique to football but people are pointing the finger at football just like you do in your last statement. And this is a football thread on a football board and we are talking about football practice so why wouldn't I assume your referring to football? Again and I have stated many times concussions will happen with or without pads on. The issue for me isn't hitting, or having helmets on etc........it's how the player is handled once a concussion has happened. And yes I got on you sorry put if your going to copy and paste data on the subject post it all. And 80 concussions out of 100,000 doesn't sound overly dangerous.

To use Seau, Duerson or the others you'll have to also include the use of "supplements", the use of steroids is directly tied to the severity of the long term issues.

What study shows the direct tie of CTE to PEDs? It IS inferred that guys that were juiced were "probably" hitting harder.

Apology accepted. But to only seriously consider concussion issues AFTER they happen is myopic. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. That's why there are helmet laws for motorcycles, and the same for kids on bicycles/razors/skateboards. Ask any CHP bud what the outcome is of a brain bucket vs a quality full face helmet. It's not pleasant. Brain tissue healing-especially for youths when it is more impactful, no pun intended- is very, very different that bone, joints, etc.

Anyone on here play beyond HS? Curious what your experience with head impact/concussions have been and current state of mind.....

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I guess I have a hard time seeing how having kids run around without helmets on playing football is preventing anything. Knowing football coaches once pads are available hitting will also be ramped up to make up for lost time and reps. I'm fine with standing by the data posted and it reflects nothing that shouldn't be expected from play sport, any sport.

Anyone on here play beyond HS? Curious what your experience with head impact/concussions have been and current state of mind.....
Having a grade 3 and offspring with grade 1's is enough to want to have science based information instead of relying on a HS blog. The neurologist simply said, "Don't hit your head again!" Plenty of that is available to people who are not so hard headed (ouch) to understand science trumps passionate, yet ignorant opposition to facts. If someone says, "I don't believe it's that big of a deal" when the experts are howling to find solutions, their head is in the sand. BTW, one each: baseball, football, rugby.

Having a grade 3 and offspring with grade 1's is enough to want to have science based information instead of relying on a HS blog. The neurologist simply said, "Don't hit your head again!" Plenty of that is available to people who are not so hard headed (ouch) to understand science trumps passionate, yet ignorant opposition to facts. If someone says, "I don't believe it's that big of a deal" when the experts are howling to find solutions, their head is in the sand. BTW, one each: baseball, football, rugby.

So please explain where having players running around at full speed without head protection is a better idea than having them wear head protection and teach better technique? Head injuries are going to happen regardless. If players/parents are afraid of them don't play. My point is clear the numbers don't suggest or show that the game is any more dangerous than other sports. Odds of a major head injury are not great. Odds of a minor head injury are slim to be honest. Simple fact is with media, the Internet, and real time news things get over hyped. Again stats you posted from showed a chance of 80 concussion for every 100,000 that doesn't even really warrant concern to be honest. We are even approaching 10% by those numbers.

So please explain where having players running around at full speed without head protection is a better idea than having them wear head protection and teach better technique? Head injuries are going to happen regardless. If players/parents are afraid of them don't play. My point is clear the numbers don't suggest or show that the game is any more dangerous than other sports. Odds of a major head injury are not great. Odds of a minor head injury are slim to be honest. Simple fact is with media, the Internet, and real time news things get over hyped. Again stats you posted from showed a chance of 80 concussion for every 100,000 that doesn't even really warrant concern to be honest. We are even approaching 10% by those numbers.

Help me out here. Exactly where do I say running around without head protection is a good idea? I assume you are referencing a statement of mine regarding football.

Help me out here. Exactly where do I say running around without head protection is a good idea? I assume you are referencing a statement of mine regarding football.

No, I'm referencing the way things are in the sport today. Teams can't issue pads can't wear helmets etc until late July. Because of concussion paranoia. So now we have teams practicing without pads or helmets,for fear of contact. When reality is kids are still playing football still at passing leagues and probably at a higher risk of concussion without protection. Then factor in the limited time in pads over the summer coaches will undoubtly increase hitting once pads are introduced to make up for lost time. This all falls in line with the topic of this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT