#1 Bishop Montgomery
#2 Mater Dei
#3 Sierra Canyon
#4 Chino Hills
#5 Birmingham
#6 St. Augustine
#7 Westchester
#8 Torrey Pines

I thought salesian would be ahead of de la Salle and St Joe's. I guess that loss to st pats hurt them. To be honest though I see no clear cut favorite

All the state finals games are being played in downtown Sacramento at the new Golden 1 arena on March 24 / 25th. Should be a much better atmosphere than the old Sleep Train arena.

All the state finals games are being played in downtown Sacramento at the new Golden 1 arena on March 24 / 25th. Should be a much better atmosphere than the old Sleep Train arena.

Anything is a better atmosphere than Sleep Barn... Have they torn that dump down yet?

Anyway, a little clarification on NorCal Finals location... Yes, Santa Clara is hosting, but D1 and Open only. The other divisions listed as "home sites" and on the same night.

Seems like it would have been a good idea to do the lower divisions on Friday, and it would be an even better idea to consolidate at least some of them at one or two sites, ie: D4 and D5 at Newark Memorial and D2 and D3 at Las Positas (or maybe mix & match to suit geography for the teams and fans). Big-but-not-gigantic gyms that would be an excellent size for lower-division games and probably not otherwise in use that day, why not? Heck, American Canyon's gym should be available too... James Logan's gym, too... The list goes on. Out of just those four, plenty of space to pool together good-sized crowds and get those kids some notice, too. They've been working their butts off just like the big-school kids, after all...

One note on Santa Clara for Norcal finals, great venue for high school champ games and I live in SJ so that's awesome for me but if Open goes chalk and its Sheldon/Woodcreek seems like a ridiculous location if hoping for a big turnout. 2 best teams in Norcal from Sac area and have to commute to Stockton for regional final and Santa Clara for Norcal finals... man that sucks...

Re: the turnout... Yeah, the crowd size was surprisingly small (ish) in Stockton considering these teams had been on collision-course since November... I'd say the 6150-seat Spanos Center was maybe 70% full at the start of the Sheldon-Woodcreek game. There were probably some late-comers that miiiiiight have gotten that number up to 75%, but I didn't think to look around the house at the half, so I dunno.

So, if the one-hour drive to Stockton (less for Sheldon) kept crowds down, Santa Clara's attendance numbers will rely greatly on the performance of less geographically-challenged teams to find their way to the Finals.

I've been to Santa Clara a number of times, but before my 18 years spent in Oregon... Been a longgggg time.... From what I remember, it's a good place to watch hoops! (I watched Jason Kidd's Cal Bears vs. Steve Nash's Santa Clara Broncos from the 4th row, center court... That didn't suck very much...)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT