State Championship Updates

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Friday:

D5: Athenian beat Verdugo Hills 67-49
D3: Alemany beat Santa Cruz 63-53
8:00 PM D1: St. John Bosco (27-7) vs. San Ramon Valley (29-7)

Saturday:

12:00 PM D4: Chatsworth (20-14) vs. Monterey (24-6)
4:00 PM D2: Centennial-Bakersfield (28-7) vs. Oakland Tech (29-5)
8:00 PM Open: Harvard-Westlake (32-3) vs. Salesian (31-1)

Last edited:
Friday:

12:00 PM D5: Verdugo Hills (25-11) vs. Athenian (27-8)
4:00 PM D3: Alemany (24-15) vs. Santa Cruz (27-6)
8:00 PM D1: St. John Bosco (27-7) vs. San Ramon Valley (29-7)

Saturday:

12:00 PM D4: Chatsworth (20-14) vs. Monterey (24-6)
4:00 PM D2: Centennial-Bakersfield (28-7) vs. Oakland Tech (29-5)
8:00 PM Open: Harvard-Westlake (32-3) vs. Salesian (31-1)
4 NorCal teams from the East Bay and 2 publics from the coast. None from NS, SJS or SFS sections?

Any student athletes reading this GOOD LUCK and enjoy the moment! No matter the division, you are one of the few still playing in March Madness! This game, thousands of players wish they were playing in. Do not take it for granted!

Last edited:
From what I heard, it's looking like a SoCal sweep. Most games non-competitive blowouts.
If Salesian controls the ball and rebounds, they have a shot against Harvard. They are well drilled, although I know Harvard as a great coach as well. Could be a blowout, but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s closer than some think. And they just held a team to 44 points and that team won many games by 30 and 40

If Salesian controls the ball and rebounds, they have a shot against Harvard. They are well drilled, although I know Harvard as a great coach as well. Could be a blowout, but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s closer than some think. And they just held a team to 44 points and that team won many games by 30 and 40
i mean if any team limits turnovers and gets more rebounds they win. they will also have to do 2 other things really really well.

Any student athletes reading this GOOD LUCK and enjoy the moment! No matter the division, you are one of the few still playing in March Madness! This game, thousands of players wish they were playing in. Do not take it for granted!
Agree 100 percent. And if you’re a junior or below at Riordan don’t listen to anyone who tells you you’re better than 02. Why? Because it doesn’t matter. Or that your the closest to the 90 team Riordan has seen. That doesn’t matter period. You are the 2025 team. Learn from the loss. Ask your coach to what it was like to lose a state game then your ask your one coach what it was like to bounce back and win. It didn’t matter what division the game was in. Back then enrollment was it. Play with pride and purpose. And play for yourselves, your fan base, the incredible band, some incredible alum and the WCAL. Don’t play to say well we have all this and that. Nothing matters until the week you can say, wow, we are one of ten teams practicing, well now six. And why, cause the 02 team got upset in the Burlingame tournament. You have a target on your back. Everyone wants to beat you. Guarantee you when those Burlingame guys hang out today, they still thrive on beating a state champion in their own tournament. Sure winning CCS and WCAL is great and all. But practice hard and play hard. The WCAL could use another banner. By the way to the seniors moving on, much luck. I look forward to following Zion, St Mary’s is 20 minutes up the road from me. Kid is playing for a great coach. And good luck to the kids as Ankle put it.

Entertaining first few minutes…. both team fullcourt press, but bothbreaking said presses pretty well.

12-8 Athenian, 3:27 left 1st.

Verdugo scored 5 straight, but Athenian answered with a 9-0 run…. 27-17, now 27-20.. 3:51 left in the half.

Verdugo’s not done…. 38-29 with 4:41 left 3rd. Their press starting to force some turnovers.

Moist and Plump. Does the Jimmy Dean sausage come to mind? Or perhaps the legendary Ballpark frank?

Maybe if Santa Cruz can improve on the 15.8% shooting mark they have so far….

At least they’re 8 of 8 from the stripe…

30-20 Alemany at the half, but their 6’9” sophomore big, Sam Mbingnazo, twisted an ankle with a minute left in the half.

Michael Lindsay leads Alemany with 9, and Bourgeois Tsilobo has thrown down a couple loud dunks.

Santa Cruz has “lifted” their shooting to 20.8%…. If they can start hitting the shots, maybe…. but they kinda look overmatched whether Mbingnazo can get back in or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT