ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching question

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
To any coaches on here and/or parents who have gone through the baseball process:

What is a good coaching approach for kids 5-7? It is about keeping it fun and growing a knowledge of the game or honing in on the fundamentals? Or a little of both?

My son started playing this year and saw both in action, so I'm curious if there is a consensus.

Fundamentals and fun should be the priority. Understanding every position on the field and getting time at each position. Talking about the game and the rules for just a few minutes each practice helps them as they get older. Having enough coaches so you have enough stations at practice so they don’t get bored.

Fun-damentals. The young ones love the games and fun drills that help develop basic skills without them knowing. Teach them baseball knee, firm look em in the eye handshake, respect for coaches, team, parents, umps...then fun. Keep it moving...limited standing around. Relay races on the bases and with throwing. Target practice, pop ups with soft baseballs, sliding on wet grass with no shoes. Whiffle ball stations. Tennis ball pickle games. Definitely a few coaches to Keep the stations hopping for 6-10 min. As they get older Situations is the best team drill...fielders in all spots...runners..coach hits the ball...kids make the play.

Show them how to self play...off a wall throw...hit off a tee into net. Bottom line though is for you to spend the time with your son. Baseball is a great parent child bonding activity. Catch, bp whatever. I have 18 and 15 boys and a 12 year old girl. 18 may play club in college maybe not, the 15 hasn’t been on a team since 4th grade and my daughter played LL and is looking toward softball this year. We go to the field 3 times a week in good weather and do bp and fielding as a group or solo. Mom brings the dogs. We talk we laugh we argue and they make fun of me. Cherish the time.

Reactions: Barking Dog
5-7: Well I started the following at 4-5...All three of mine skipped first year of Tee. They were ahead. DD played with the boys 6-7.

Play catch!! NO GLOVE! (“both hands.”) Start with wiffles. Throw them shoulders to toes, left and right, “move the feet.” You don’t need a head shot early on as that amplifies fear. Then throw- gently- head and neck. If they miss, it’s a wiffle! Then introduce flies. Index fingers touching, thumbs touching- create a “diamond,” palms pointed out. See the ball in the air looking through the middle of the diamond until it reaches your hands then “snatch it!” And really chuck them up there after a few months. Then move to golf wiffles. Repeat. Then move to tennis balls. THEN you can introduce a glove....
Wiffles only stick in the leather with....two hands! If kids are “shying away” from catching with a glove, absolutely follow the above. I informed single parents/etc.- no matter genders- follow that. Smalls’ dad Bill was the moral message sent to parents:

Keep it fun and study Stanford’s/Phil Jackson’s POSITIVE COACHING ALLIANCE. Align yourself with coaches who share the philosophy. Travel ball and ultra WACd (win at all costs) people are to be avoided at all costs- no pun intended!

If not at a game, instead of asking “Who won,” I always started it at “How fun was it?” They’ll fill you in with the rest...

https://www.positivecoach.org/

Reactions: CityVibesII
At 5 to 7 years old? Play catch with them at home and set up a T in backyard. Nerf balls in the house, pitching them into the fireplace (best youth catcher around). 8-10 coach pitch league with some live pitching by 9-10. Otherwise, spend one of your "last summers" having them playing in the mud and go to Disneyland.

Avoid programs clocking your kid's pitching and bat speed at 10-12

Last edited:
Also depends on where you live. Check out the leagues in your own community and talk to some of the parents of the younger players.

I personally prefer a hard nosed screamer coach that berates children, especially those who aren't very skilled.

Also depends on where you live. Check out the leagues in your own community and talk to some of the parents of the younger players.

I personally prefer a hard nosed screamer coach that berates children, especially those who aren't very skilled.
:D

Reactions: TurtleLoveCA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT