ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing DLS Defense vs. Folsom Defense

Califfbfan

Superstar
Jul 6, 2018
If we used a hypothetical rating system of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best high school defense in California, could we put this years DLS defense at about a 9.1, and Folsom at about a 6.9?

If seems that there is a pretty big gap in defenses between these two teams. Would appreciate some feedback.

I'm sure there is a big gap. But the same could be said on the offensive side of the ball w/ Folsom. But in sports I will always take a good D to offense. And DLS is good enough to grind out the ball on the ground and just limit the # of Folsom's possessions. If Richardson starts going for it on 4th down deep in there territory they are going to get laughed out of Concord. Don't be an idiot.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Folsoms offense is an arm and a leg above DLS.

DLS defense is better. But the gap is not huge.

Advantage: Folsom.

Just too many athletes and experience this year. They get it done.

Actually, the gap between defenses is pretty large. I doubt more than one or two Folsom defensive starters could start on the DLS defense. We all know that in any sport defense wins. That will be the difference this Friday.

I would argue the complete opposite. Many of Folsom's defense starters are already committed to playing at the next level.

The gap is small and will be on display in about 4 days.

Folsom wins 35-27

If Richardson starts going for it on 4th down deep in there territory they are going to get laughed out of Concord. Don't be an idiot.
Good point- However, after Troy Taylor left, I haven't seen them do much of this. It is true you can get away with this against Del Oro, but not DLS. I don't see it happening unless they are in DLS territory and are rolling on offense.

I don't even recall them going for it on 4th down much in the playoffs. I think they may have done it a few times against Helix, but I can't seem to remember any.

Smash mouth football coming on Friday!

Folsoms offense is an arm and a leg above DLS.

DLS defense is better. But the gap is not huge.

Advantage: Folsom.

Just too many athletes and experience this year. They get it done.

Consider this too....De La Salle's offensive scheme is far more conservative (hate that I used that word in this day and age but whatever).

What I am saying is that while Folsom's spread offense CAN score in bunches quickly, it is also prone to quick three and outs, interceptions, sacks, etc. You'll be extremely lucky if you can sack a De La Salle QB or intercept a pass on them. They also play at a much slower tempo than Folsom so in the even that you do force a turn over they've already chewed away a large amount of time.

I'll put it to you like this...Offense entertains; Defense wins Championships.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Consider this too....De La Salle's offensive scheme is far more conservative (hate that I used that word in this day and age but whatever).

What I am saying is that while Folsom's spread offense CAN score in bunches quickly, it is also prone to quick three and outs, interceptions, sacks, etc. You'll be extremely lucky if you can sack a De La Salle QB or intercept a pass on them. They also play at a much slower tempo than Folsom so in the even that you do force a turn over they've already chewed away a large amount of time.

Thank you for your insight and knowledge. I was unaware of all of the above. I need to get up to speed!

Bottom line- Folsom's defense will be just fine on Friday night. Everyone just calm down.

Folsom has BIG TIME athletes that they didn't have before. That will make a difference.

I stand by my prediction.

Don't you mean four and turn overs?:)

While Folsom has the clear advantage on offense and DLS has the clear advantage on defense, I think the most telling for game outcome is how prepared players are at this early date. In recent years, DLS seems less prepared in early season than years past. Additionally the changing practice rules has an effect on CA HS football preparedness. Much of the preparedness depends on each program's strength and conditioning in off season along with other preparing activities that each team can creatively incorporate inside the rules.

Thank you for your insight and knowledge. I was unaware of all of the above. I need to get up to speed!

Bottom line- Folsom's defense will be just fine on Friday night. Everyone just calm down.

Folsom has BIG TIME athletes that they didn't have before. That will make a difference.

You don’t stand behind your prediction. You said it fifty times if you said it once. Folsom 42-35 Book it. Now your saying Folsom 35-27. What do you have to say to those who already booked it. The fact is your scared. Don’t be. It’s just a high school football game. From what I saw Friday night you still have a tough game against Jesuit. They will be nice and rested when they face a beat up Folsom team. My new prediction Folsom 0-2 to start the season.

Book it.

Reactions: SpartanzRule

While Folsom has the clear advantage on offense and DLS has the clear advantage on defense, I think the most telling for game outcome is how prepared players are at this early date. In recent years, DLS seems less prepared in early season than years past. Additionally the changing practice rules has an effect on CA HS football preparedness. Much of the preparedness depends on each program's strength and conditioning in off season along with other preparing activities that each team can creatively incorporate inside the rules.

You make some good points. It will be interesting as far as what will be the impact if any of it being the first game and that both teams will need to get the cob webs out (timing, intensity, game speed adjustments, conditioning, etc.) as far as experiencing intense live contact for the first time of the year in game conditions with the stakes of this game. Will defense have an early advantage or will the offenses click early in the game. At some point both teams should adjust but which one will first. The impact of turnovers is also a big question being so early in the season. If one team gets buried early or not or if both languish in a defensive lead game where both teams have some trouble on offense and it becomes a close meat grinder. I tend to thinki the game will be a 35-28 type of game versus a route for either. Worst case is for it to be a route either way - because I am neutral and attending and hope for a good game.

Reactions: SpartanzRule
I think both offenses will be very productive in this game. I don't see the defenses being able to slow it down. Big offensive show coming.

Here are the key points to me if I had to choose one in the matchups

Folsom O vs DLS D: can the Spartans get pressure with their front four?

DLS O vs Folsom D: can Folsom hold up against the physical ground game?

Obviously a lot of other things to watch, but those standout to me.

Reactions: feedback1
You don’t stand behind your prediction. You said it fifty times if you said it once. Folsom 42-35 Book it. Now your saying Folsom 35-27. What do you have to say to those who already booked it. The fact is your scared. Don’t be. It’s just a high school football game. From what I saw Friday night you still have a tough game against Jesuit. They will be nice and rested when they face a beat up Folsom team. My new prediction Folsom 0-2 to start the season.

Book it.
55-9 and 27-14 were the scores last season when Folsom beat Jesuit. Just just trying to figure out what has happened at Jesuit for you to predict a win when Folsom returns most of their starters?

Reactions: cashisking18
Here are the key points to me if I had to choose one in the matchups

Folsom O vs DLS D: can the Spartans get pressure with their front four?

DLS O vs Folsom D: can Folsom hold up against the physical ground game?

Obviously a lot of other things to watch, but those standout to me.

Clearly, DLS will apply pressure. Better question is whether it will make any difference. I don't think so. Unless they can get to the QB in 1.7 seconds.

I think DLS will have a good night running the ball.

55-9 and 27-14 were the scores last season when Folsom beat Jesuit. Just just trying to figure out what has happened at Jesuit for you to predict a win when Folsom returns most of their starters?
You see the difference between the first and last game. And I thought they looked really good Friday. That along with the fact that I played against DLS twice in HS. And the one thing I will never forget is the feeling the next day and week. Obviously I don’t really think it’s going down like that. But Jesuit has a better chance of beating Folsom then Folsom does beating DLS IMHO.

I'm calm bro. We've seen this movie before. We both know the ending.

It will affect De La Salle more than most teams because they are a program built on blocking and tackling. The missed tackles early in the season are noticeable throughout the state but what the casual fan typically overlooks is the missed blocks. Because of contact rules, all of this puts De La Salle at a disadvantage versus a team that relies more heavily on throwing the ball. A kid who might be on the perimeter running defenders off or having to block corners in off coverage at a school like Folsom would be asked to block bigger bodies in the box at De La Salle.

Clearly, DLS will apply pressure. Better question is whether it will make any difference. I don't think so. Unless they can get to the QB in 1.7 seconds.

Seems to me 1.7 seconds applies only if there is an available receiver in 1.2 seconds.

It will affect De La Salle more than most teams because they are a program built on blocking and tackling. The missed tackles early in the season are noticeable throughout the state but what the casual fan typically overlooks is the missed blocks. Because of contact rules, all of this puts De La Salle at a disadvantage versus a team that relies more heavily on throwing the ball. A kid who might be on the perimeter running defenders off or having to block corners in off coverage at a school like Folsom would be asked to block bigger bodies in the box at De La Salle.

Agreed...

I watched a lot of film on Folsom from last year and DLS gets to the ball faster than any team Folsom faced by quite a difference assuming the film are all relatively at similar speed. I looked at time as much as I could. It was both quicker and more physical. Folsom may need to change their tactics as far as throwing deep. Running game could keep DLS more honest, but the LBs close very quickly and DLS is very sound on the edges and very stout up the middle and very disciplined in maintaining their space. I would think that Folsom looked at what Mater Dei did to DLS, but I think most of DLS issue was offense last season. DLS offense will need to step up as well.

I watched a lot of film on Folsom from last year and DLS gets to the ball faster than any team Folsom faced by quite a difference assuming the film are all relatively at similar speed. I looked at time as much as I could. It was both quicker and more physical. Folsom may need to change their tactics as far as throwing deep. Running game could keep DLS more honest, but the LBs close very quickly and DLS is very sound on the edges and very stout up the middle and very disciplined in maintaining their space. I would think that Folsom looked at what Mater Dei did to DLS, but I think most of DLS issue was offense last season. DLS offense will need to step up as well.

Well, I am sure the Folsom coaches watched the same film including the film from last Saturday's scrimmage. I think you are right in your observation. Henry gets to the passer fast. And, they got a few bull rushers on that line that will flat shove you out of the stadium. They will shrink the decision window to be sure....but this is what is expected.

Well, I am sure the Folsom coaches watched the same film including the film from last Saturday's scrimmage. I think you are right in your observation. Henry gets to the passer fast. And, they got a few bull rushers on that line that will flat shove you out of the stadium. They will shrink the decision window to be sure....but this is what is expected.
That is the big question and makes this game intriguing. I wouldn't go if I didn't think it would be a good game. It is really boring watching blowouts and would be surprised if DLS gets blown out and if Folsom does in this one. DLS soph QB is inexperienced at this level and will need to step up and play like he can. Many variables in this one.

That is the big question and makes this game intriguing. I wouldn't go if I didn't think it would be a good game. It is really boring watching blowouts and would be surprised if DLS gets blown out and if Folsom does in this one. DLS soph QB is inexperienced at this level and will need to step up and play like he can. Many variables in this one.

Like DLS putting up 225 yards rushing. :)

You see the difference between the first and last game. And I thought they looked really good Friday. That along with the fact that I played against DLS twice in HS. And the one thing I will never forget is the feeling the next day and week. Obviously I don’t really think it’s going down like that. But Jesuit has a better chance of beating Folsom then Folsom does beating DLS IMHO.
Jesuit got 50 points dropped on them IN ONE HALF last year with an all junior Folsom team.
Jesuit wont come close.

Book it.

Jesuit got 50 points dropped on them IN ONE HALF last year with an all junior Folsom team.
Jesuit wont come close.

Book it.

But Jesuit did average 3.6 yards a carry and went 3-18 passing in the playoff game. Including one Hail Mary pray for good luck completion that went for a score if I remember correctly. All against that crappy-as-hell Folsom defense.

Last edited:
But Jesuit did average 3.6 yards a carry and went 3-18 passing in the playoff game. Including one Hail Mary pray for good luck completion that went for a score if I remember correctly. All against that crappy-as-hell Folsom defense.
Exactly. And according to the DLS guys:

1. Folsom has zero chance and shouldn't show up
2. Jesuit is now better than Folsom due to a preseason scrimmage
3. Folsom D sucks (based on last year)

No mention of Too'to still in a boot and potentially not playing. Just deflection and banter.

The good news is- you have to face the music on Friday. No more talking.

No mention of Too'to still in a boot and potentially not playing. Just deflection and banter.

That kid put up 140 yards rushing against Pittsburgh (on a night DLS put up 320 yards rushing). This is the same Pittsburg team that limited Granite Bay to 32 yards total rushing (2.7 yards per carry) the week before.

By comparison, GB put up 142 yards rushing on Folsom.

My guess, is an 80% Henry is going to run for a bundle.

I think they have to keep Bennet contained, meaning pressure up the middle and DE's need to be athletic enough to keep him from getting outside the pocket. Linebackers for DLS are well drilled, they need to be fast and quick. This will be key. If they flush him out of the pocket, he can damage you with his feet.

Bennett averaged around 100 yards rushing last year a game. Close to.

My guess is he gets to 100 this game.

Like I said, I commend Folsom for going at the head of the snake. Really I think they should be going at a team like Pittsburg or Serra. Not De La Salle.

Not sure who L76 is, but I commend your attempt at a troll.

Some people have to be up early for work & travel. Crazy concept eh?

Folsom 35-27.

The score you submitted is invalid.

49-20 De La Salle. Running clock mid way through the 3rd.

Like I said, I commend Folsom for going at the head of the snake. Really I think they should be going at a team like Pittsburg or Serra. Not De La Salle.

Alex, I will take 'What a loser says for $1000'.

You DLS guys are so predictable. ALL you guys did was whine about Folsom's schedule while they were gathering state championships and DLS was collecting runner-up plaques. So Folsom schedules DLS and now they shouldn't have scheduled them? The real challenge was Pitt and Serra?

Interpretation of this post:' Yes, DLS may lose. And if they do, I reserve the right to say that the real game was Pitt or Serra so that I can continue hating on Folsom.' Your team deserves better fans than you. You should be saying 'DLS IS the team Folsom should have scheduled, and they are going to win'.

Reactions: cashisking18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT