ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing DLS Defense vs. Folsom Defense

Alex, I will take 'What a loser says for $1000'.

You DLS guys are so predictable. ALL you guys did was whine about Folsom's schedule while they were gathering state championships and DLS was collecting runner-up plaques. So Folsom schedules DLS and now they shouldn't have scheduled them? The real challenge was Pitt and Serra?

Interpretation of this post:' Yes, DLS may lose. And if they do, I reserve the right to say that the real game was Pitt or Serra so that I can continue hating on Folsom.' Your team deserves better fans than you. You should be saying 'DLS IS the team Folsom should have scheduled, and they are going to win'.

Your argument is flawed.

For one, I'm not a De La Salle guy. I'm just a realist. Folsom ain't beating De La Salle bro. If this was Gorman, Allen, STA, IMG or now MD / SJB in SoCal's recruiting era then yeah, I'd say De La Salle was in some imminent danger but this is ****in Folsom we're talking about here.

Second, WTF is this garbage I'm hearing of Folsom collecting state championships while De La Salle is collecting runner-up plaques?! You're smoking some good shit my dude. De La Salle has 6 of the 10 Open Division Championships. You know, "The Open Division". The Cream of the crop. The best team up North versus the best team down South regardless of enrollment. How many of those does Folsom have? Go try and catch Grant before you start speaking about Folsom in the same breath as De La Salle.

Not sure who L76 is, but I commend your attempt at a troll.

Folsom 35-27.
I don't know who L76 is either, but G61 is another multi-handled matter.

As a NorCal HSFB fan, I'm glad to see these two teams play. Although it doesn't matter to me who wins, this game probably has huge implications for the 2018 SBG Open slot.

Your argument is flawed.

For one, I'm not a De La Salle guy. I'm just a realist. Folsom ain't beating De La Salle bro. If this was Gorman, Allen, STA, IMG or now MD / SJB in SoCal's recruiting era then yeah, I'd say De La Salle was in some imminent danger but this is ****in Folsom we're talking about here.

Second, WTF is this garbage I'm hearing of Folsom collecting state championships while De La Salle is collecting runner-up plaques?! You're smoking some good shit my dude. De La Salle has 6 of the 10 Open Division Championships. You know, "The Open Division". The Cream of the crop. The best team up North versus the best team down South regardless of enrollment. How many of those does Folsom have? Go try and catch Grant before you start speaking about Folsom in the same breath as De La Salle.
Strong words.

What are you going to when DLS loses Friday night?

Do you understand what Folsom has this year? Did you read the SacBee article and see what the coaches of DLS said?

It seems like the only delusional people are some DLS trolls or Folsom haters. Really weird.

I don't know who L76 is either, but G61 is another multi-handled matter.

As a NorCal HSFB fan, I'm glad to see these two teams play. Although it doesn't matter to me who wins, this game probably has huge implications for the 2018 SBG Open slot.
Ya not sure on the letter and the numbers. Pretty weird but oh well.

I agree with you about this game. Such a treat for us fans. This is way overdue but I am excited it got done. I think it will be an epic clash personally.

Ya not sure on the letter and the numbers. Pretty weird but oh well.

I agree with you about this game. Such a treat for us fans. This is way overdue but I am excited it got done. I think it will be an epic clash personally.

You say it as if there hasn't been a Part I and II to this trilogy.

Strong words.

What are you going to when DLS loses Friday night?

Do you understand what Folsom has this year? Did you read the SacBee article and see what the coaches of DLS said?

It seems like the only delusional people are some DLS trolls or Folsom haters. Really weird.

Here's the thing: They're not going to lose! LMAOOOOOO

And again, I actually like Folsom! I think it's great that the took one for the team and opted out of the Open Division a few years ago in order to compete at the Division I level. The North has had much better representation since that happened and will always pull for Folsom big time at the state level. This is all about being real with one another.

Never suggested they did. You claim a match up between these two is way overdue. Truth is, it's taken place in the past. One team took care of business both times.
You never suggested they did but then proceed to say the truth is, its taken place in the past!?

Are you on something?

And again, I actually like Folsom! I think it's great that the took one for the team and opted out of the Open Division a few years ago in order to compete at the Division I level. The North has had much better representation since that happened and will always pull for Folsom big time at the state level. This is all about being real with one another.
1. Folsom will not lose
2. No one opted out of anything.

Just dont hide when this game is over.

Folsom 35-27

You never suggested they did but then proceed to say the truth is, its taken place in the past!?

Are you on something?

What would you say if I told you that there are pictures that exist of De La Salle and Folsom actually playing a football game against one another? Would you believe me or call "photo shop"?

1. Folsom will not lose
2. No one opted out of anything.

Just dont hide when this game is over.

Folsom 35-27

I wish this game was between two college teams or two pro teams because I really am a person who puts my money where my mouth is. I'm not going to do that to the kids though.

Any streak/previous meetings/voo doo magical aura surrounding a team does not grant a mandate for victory. Ladouceur, Eidson and Alumbaugh would fully agree. So would Bellarmine.

Folsom has stepped to the plate. Could be Ks, FC or like last night’s epic matchup between Kershaw and MadBum. The backup veteran blows it up in the 9th!

Reactions: cashisking18
Any streak/previous meetings/voo doo magical aura surrounding a team does not grant a mandate for victory. Ladouceur, Eidson and Alumbaugh would fully agree. So would Bellarmine.

Folsom has stepped to the plate. Could be Ks, FC or like last night’s epic matchup between Kershaw and MadBum. The backup veteran blows it up in the 9th!

MadBum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kershaw

What would you say if I told you that there are pictures that exist of De La Salle and Folsom actually playing a football game against one another? Would you believe me or call "photo shop"?
5 stars ago? A legacy game lol
What of I told you the 49ers played the Bears t ysars ago? I'm placing my bet based on that game! Lol

I really don't have a dog in this fight. Just stating fact. If we are talking about defense. Hopefully Folsom has strengthened it's D. I watched the Oakdale v Folsom game last year. Oakdale is a D4 team by enrollment. They put 553 total yards on Folsom. Personally I would love to see Central Catholic be the first Nor-cal team to knock off DLS.in this century. I'm a VOL homer CC might be our rival, but they are VOL family!

Oakdale is a D4 team by enrollment
Most privates are D4 by enrollment.

If we are going to use previous games as predictors of Friday, let's use Central as the only common opponent. Same score differential, and I thought Folsom played a bit better.

Does this mean Folsom is going to win Friday? No.
Does this mean Folsom willl lose Friday? No.

I DON'T think Folsom can beat DLS. If Folsom was playing this game later in the season, then maybe. I am from Oakdale and one of their biggest fans, and currently living in Auburn. I drove down last season to watch the Oakdale/Folsom game at the Coral. Oakdale had NO problem running or passing on Folsom. Two BIG mistakes cost Oakdale that game. A D3 team can not make mistakes when playing a D1 opponent. With that said, Folsom is a well coached, phenomenal team but, If Oakdale could put over 500 plus yards on Folsom, I can't imagine what DLS will do to them.

I DON'T think Folsom can beat DLS. If Folsom was playing this game later in the season, then maybe. I am from Oakdale and one of their biggest fans, and currently living in Auburn. I drove down last season to watch the Oakdale/Folsom game at the Coral. Oakdale had NO problem running or passing on Folsom. Two BIG mistakes cost Oakdale that game. A D3 team can not make mistakes when playing a D1 opponent. With that said, Folsom is a well coached, phenomenal team but, If Oakdale could put over 500 plus yards on Folsom, I can't imagine what DLS will do to them.
That was last year, not this year. Folsoms defense is much better. And Folsom was blowing out Oakdale to the point where they took out the first team offense out of respect until Oakdale was still going full throttle. So they went back in. Oakdale left starters in to "clean up" the final score and make it look better. It could have been much worse.

With that said- Oakdale was a great team, and they play great at home. Hard to argue against them

I think trying to daisy chain games to come up with projections is tough with non common opponents. DLS and Folsom had ONE common opponent last season (Central) and the score difference was the exact same.

Folsom def Central: 54-25
DLS defeated Central: 49-30

Folsom scored 5 more against the same defense, but also gave up 5 more against the same offense. Predictor for Friday night? Probably not.

Go Folsom!

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
That was last year, not this year. Folsoms defense is much better. And Folsom was blowing out Oakdale to the point where they took out the first team. Oakdale left starters in to "clean up" the final score and make it look better. It could have been much worse.

With that said- Oakdale was a great team, and they play great at home. Hard to argue against them

I think trying to daisy chain games to come up with projections is tough with non common opponents. DLS and Folsom had ONE common opponent last season (Central) and the score difference was the exact same.

Folsom scored 5 more against the same defense, but also gave up 5 more against the same offense. Predictor for Friday night? Probably not.

Go Folsom!

You better check your FACTS. Folsom never took out ANY of their STARTERS when playing against Oakdale. Not even 1. They left ALL of their STARTERS in the whole entire game.. They didn't even take out their starting QB. Oakdale layed out 3 of their starters and left them on the field rolling around in pain for several minutes. Oakdale played very physical football. Oakdale had a penalty at the 25 yard line, which brought them back and ended up turning over the ball. If it weren't for that penaltyOaldale would have had another TD. And the intercepetion right before the half, which Folsom turned into a TD. If Merzon would have ran that play instead of calling a pass, it would have been a TD for Oakdale not Folsom. Folsom couldn't stop Oakdale's run. They couldn't even stop the 2 point conversion. Oakdale had 4 TD's and and NO field goal attempts.

You better check your FACTS. Folsom never took out ANY of their STARTERS when playing against Oakdale. Not even 1. They left ALL of their STARTERS in the whole entire game.. They didn't even take out their starting QB. Oakdale layed out 3 of their starters and left them on the field rolling around in pain for several minutes. Oakdale played very physical football. Oakdale had a penalty at the 25 yard line, which brought them back and ended up turning over the ball. If it weren't for that penaltyOaldale would have had another TD. And the intercepetion right before the half, which Folsom turned into a TD. If Merzon would have ran that play instead of calling a pass, it would have been a TD for Oakdale not Folsom. Folsom couldn't stop Oakdale's run. They couldn't even stop the 2 point conversion. Oakdale had 4 TD's and and NO field goal attempts.
Funny how 2 people watching the same game can see something completely different. The game was completely out of reach and over in the 4th quarter and Oakdale was still trying desperately to score. Which I understand. They were looking ahead to a possible bowl selection and point differentials matter.

If you can gain that many yards and still get borderline blown out, that's a good sign for Folsom tomorrow.

Oakdale played well for stints. The game was great for 3 quarters but not much more after that. Everyone expected Oakdale to play well- this was arguably the biggest game in the history of the school. Kudos to them. But if you're claim to fame is "laying out starters" instead of winning the game, it probably is a good representation of why you lost.

Folsom wins tomorrow. Book it.

Last edited:
Funny how 2 people watching the same game can see something completely different. The game was completely out of reach and over in the 4th quarter and Oakdale was still trying desperately to score. Which I understand. They were looking ahead to a possible bowl selection and point differentials matter.

If you can gain that many yards and still get borderline blown out, that's a good sign for Folsom tomorrow.

Oakdale played well for stints. The game was great for 3 quarters but not much more after that. Everyone expected Oakdale to play well- this was arguably the biggest game in the history of the school. Kudos to them.

Folsom wins tomorrow. Book it.

Yeah your right, funny how 2 people watching the same game can see it completely different. Still, the FACT is, Folsom left in ALL of their starters the entire game until the final buzzer. And yes, Folsom pulled away the 4th QTR, they won by 16 points. I hardly call that a blow out considering Folsom is a D1 school playing against a D3 opponent. And let's add in the fact that Folsom players are NOT only from Folsom, they have kids from all around the area playing for them. Oakdale plays with their own. Oakdale born, Oakdale bred, going to be a mustang till the day I'm dead.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Yeah your right, funny how 2 people watching the same game can see it completely different. Still, the FACT is, Folsom left in ALL of their starters the entire game until the final buzzer. And yes, Folsom pulled away the 4th QTR, they won by 16 points. I hardly call that a blow out considering Folsom is a D1 school playing against a D3 opponent. And let's add in the fact that Folsom players are NOT only from Folsom, they have kids from all around the area playing for them. Oakdale plays with their own. Oakdale born, Oakdale bred, going to be a mustang till the day I'm dead.
Oh geez here we go again with the "where players are from" argument.

And yes, the fact is that the game was a blowout. If you go back and watch the end of the 4th quarter you will see Oakdale desperately trying to score to ward off a more embarrassing score. I cant say I blame them but that's the truth.

Last year the same thing was touted after the game- "it was only 19 points!" "You're D1 and were D3" "you're players aren't from Folsom!" same old BS. You got blown out. But still played above expectation. Be happy.

On another note- Folsoms stars have played at Folsom ALL 4 years. I guess you could say "Folsom bred."

Enjoy the game tomorrow night.

Watch what happens after Folsom seals the game and it is a true blowout with a few minutes left. You can see what I mean. They throw a halfback pass and another long pass while down 26 points. The game was over. They were score creepin.

Watch what happens after Folsom seals the game and it is a true blowout with a few minutes left. You can see what I mean. They throw a halfback pass and another long pass while down 26 points. The game was over.

[/

Oh geese is right. I have watched that video over and over and over again since they played. Like I said, If you call 16 points a blow out against a D3 school your high as a kite. I can see it now, if DLS beats Folsom by a minimum of 16 points, you will not be calling that game a blowout. Your going to call it a good game. I'm sure we will all see you back on here after DLS/Folsom game making up every excuse bout why Folsom lost. Too funny.

That was last year, not this year. Folsoms defense is much better. And Folsom was blowing out Oakdale to the point where they took out the first team offense out of respect until Oakdale was still going full throttle. So they went back in. Oakdale left starters in to "clean up" the final score and make it look better. It could have been much worse.

Go Folsom!

In the DLS Central game - Kyree Robinson, DLS' top RB did not play while Henry To'oto still had 177 yards (9.6 yard per run average) and Shamar Garret had 77 yards. Both To'oto and Garret who will be featured backs this year will both be playing against Folsom. Robinson was unstoppable last season and the Spartans still had 335 yards rushing against Central. On defense, Spartans made adjustments and Central only scored once in the second half. DLS total yards were 461 and Central 441. DLS scored 21 in first quarter and 21 in second half. Big plays: DLS had 51 yard TD pass to Jack Powers and 60 yard TD pass to Foskey (playing on Friday) and Central had 3 TD passes under 30 yard (30, 23 and 16). DLS fumbled the ball 5 times and Central recovered 3). DLS intercepted twice.

Folsom gave up 528 yards to Central and gained 555 yards.. Both Central and Folsom scored most of their points in the second half at 21 and 34 respectively. Folsom scored once in Q1 and 2x in Q2 and increased scoring each quarter. Interestingly Folsom has three big plays - 49 yard TD pass to Joe Ngata and 50 yard TD run by D Ngata, and 64 yard fumble recovery for TD by Anthony Borg. Folsom gave up 3 INTs and Central 2, and each fumbled the ball (with Folsom getting one for TD) Folsom defense gave up TD passes including 72 yard TD and 2 TDs of 30 yards and under.

What does all of this indicate? Just this game if you want to compare.
DLS: At least in this game, DLS starts really fast and defense gets better at half - probably adjustments and endurance (they wear teams out). DLS is notorious quick starter and that happened in the earlier Folsom games. DLS seemed to have success controlling the ball and then Central couldn't stop the run they stacked the box and then DLS hit them with the pass and had success. Central had success with intermediate pass game (DLS didn't give up the big pass), and Central was balanced and moved the ball on offense. DLS turned the ball over 3 times. DLS defense doesn't give up big plays. DLS defense gave up 168 run and 278 pass). DLS defense plays straight up and so Central got its yards on both sides but big plays were limited.

Folsom:
Folsom offense had balance (pass 306 and 249 rush). and made big plays (2 by Pass and 1 run). Most of the passing was short to intermediate. Folsom turned the ball over in the game both INT and fumbles while also capitalizing on mistakes (1 TD run). Defense: pass defense gave up 2/3 of Central yardage but was relatively strong against the run and seemed to play straight up defense. Folsom defense only gave up one big play. Seems game turned into a track meet on both sides since both increased scoring as the game increased.

Overall it looks like both teams turn the ball pover so that could be a huge determinant in the game. Folsom will need to be in the game and not get behind in the initial DLS starts. DLS will have to limit the big plays while also staying straight up for most part on defense because of Folsom's balance. Folsom defense will also have to play DLS straight up because DLS does have big play passing capability. Both teams should be better on both sides of the ball. Line play will come into play. DLS offensive line will be bigger than Folsoms (weight wise) and will try to take control of the trenches and run. Folsom will spread things out and work the treat of the pas big play pass and get the running game going. Pass first or threat of pass to open run and also have the QB as a threat. DLS defense will need to contain the QB. I think the game will come down to which team can control the LOS and put pressure on the opponent QB (DLS QB is young and when he does pass Folsom will need to have the pressure and DLS will need to get to QB fast and make him uncomfortable). DLS DBs will need to be very good as will Folsom DBs coming up to support run and also not giving in to threat of DLS big pass play. This match up taking into account what they both have looks like it will be a very good game if both teams play well. I give DLS advantage at home but both schools need to execute well and not turn the ball over. If Folsom has success and turns the game into a track race, Folsom will have the advantage. If will come down to ability of their defenses being able to limit big plays and scoring. DLS would like the game to be a ball control and limit Folsom opportunities so Folsom defense will need to step up.

In the DLS Central game - Kyree Robinson, DLS' top RB did not play while Henry To'oto still had 177 yards (9.6 yard per run average) and Shamar Garret had 77 yards. Both To'oto and Garret who will be featured backs this year will both be playing against Folsom. Robinson was unstoppable last season and the Spartans still had 335 yards rushing against Central. On defense, Spartans made adjustments and Central only scored once in the second half. DLS total yards were 461 and Central 441. DLS scored 21 in first quarter and 21 in second half. Big plays: DLS had 51 yard TD pass to Jack Powers and 60 yard TD pass to Foskey (playing on Friday) and Central had 3 TD passes under 30 yard (30, 23 and 16). DLS fumbled the ball 5 times and Central recovered 3). DLS intercepted twice.

Folsom gave up 528 yards to Central and gained 555 yards.. Both Central and Folsom scored most of their points in the second half at 21 and 34 respectively. Folsom scored once in Q1 and 2x in Q2 and increased scoring each quarter. Interestingly Folsom has three big plays - 49 yard TD pass to Joe Ngata and 50 yard TD run by D Ngata, and 64 yard fumble recovery for TD by Anthony Borg. Folsom gave up 3 INTs and Central 2, and each fumbled the ball (with Folsom getting one for TD) Folsom defense gave up TD passes including 72 yard TD and 2 TDs of 30 yards and under.

What does all of this indicate? Just this game if you want to compare.
DLS: At least in this game, DLS starts really fast and defense gets better at half - probably adjustments and endurance (they wear teams out). DLS is notorious quick starter and that happened in the earlier Folsom games. DLS seemed to have success controlling the ball and then Central couldn't stop the run they stacked the box and then DLS hit them with the pass and had success. Central had success with intermediate pass game (DLS didn't give up the big pass), and Central was balanced and moved the ball on offense. DLS turned the ball over 3 times. DLS defense doesn't give up big plays. DLS defense gave up 168 run and 278 pass). DLS defense plays straight up and so Central got its yards on both sides but big plays were limited.

Folsom:
Folsom offense had balance (pass 306 and 249 rush). and made big plays (2 by Pass and 1 run). Most of the passing was short to intermediate. Folsom turned the ball over in the game both INT and fumbles while also capitalizing on mistakes (1 TD run). Defense: pass defense gave up 2/3 of Central yardage but was relatively strong against the run and seemed to play straight up defense. Folsom defense only gave up one big play. Seems game turned into a track meet on both sides since both increased scoring as the game increased.

Overall it looks like both teams turn the ball pover so that could be a huge determinant in the game. Folsom will need to be in the game and not get behind in the initial DLS starts. DLS will have to limit the big plays while also staying straight up for most part on defense because of Folsom's balance. Folsom defense will also have to play DLS straight up because DLS does have big play passing capability. Both teams should be better on both sides of the ball. Line play will come into play. DLS offensive line will be bigger than Folsoms (weight wise) and will try to take control of the trenches and run. Folsom will spread things out and work the treat of the pas big play pass and get the running game going. Pass first or threat of pass to open run and also have the QB as a threat. DLS defense will need to contain the QB. I think the game will come down to which team can control the LOS and put pressure on the opponent QB (DLS QB is young and when he does pass Folsom will need to have the pressure and DLS will need to get to QB fast and make him uncomfortable). DLS DBs will need to be very good as will Folsom DBs coming up to support run and also not giving in to threat of DLS big pass play. This match up taking into account what they both have looks like it will be a very good game if both teams play well. I give DLS advantage at home but both schools need to execute well and not turn the ball over. If Folsom has success and turns the game into a track race, Folsom will have the advantage. If will come down to ability of their defenses being able to limit big plays and scoring. DLS would like the game to be a ball control and limit Folsom opportunities so Folsom defense will need to step up.

Excellent analysis. Thanks for putting in the time.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT