ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Yeager (Grant) or Issa Silva (Jesuit)?

Silva is better imo. Not sure about Yeager but Silva is a holdback & that matters when factoring upside

Reactions: Jumper3
Silva is a legit 4 star prospect with probably the best offers besides Bagley in NorCal. (UCLA, Gonzaga, Stanford, Utah, etc). He blew up playing for Compton magic over summer.
He’s on must watch because, very rare to see a kid this skilled.

Grant backcourt is very good. Both kids will play college basketball. Not at Silva level.

Great point!
I will take Corey, just my personal choice. I've seen both play a lot and both are good. He has some instincts that I havent seen in a PG in a long time, and it's natural. No disrespect to Silva, but if you put Yeager on that same Compton Magic Team he would be talked about on a national scale. Rebounds, tip, dunks, jump shots, steals etc. He scores a variety of ways. Like I said this fall, I will see how Silva competes against Sheldon when he is guarded by Xavion Brown. Because that's the type of length/athleticism you play at the next level as a 4-5 star recruit. Haven't seen a guard make it look easy like Yeager in a long time.

Siva a better shooter. But i am taking Yeager. In his right grade. Not a hold back. More atheltic and a better defender. More upside as a player.

Last edited:
Siva a better shooter. But i am taking Yeager. In his right grade. Not a hold back. More atheltic and a better defender. More upside as a player.

What is your fascination with if a kid was held back at any point? It’s different for each player. Some kids start kindergarten at a super old age and aren’t a holdback but are super old. Some kids start kindergarten young and get held back in 8th grade. Silva has 20+ high major offers from the top programs in the country so obviously he has the size and skill set that coaches want. You don’t see very many 6-4 point guards with length who are elite ball handlers and passers and play like a pro out of the pick and roll. I think SIlva’s best basketball is in front of him because he is a pure point guard and playing with elite talent will only elevate what he does well. I haven’t seen a ton of Yeager but I like his game. Doesn’t shoot it very well though and with his lack of height might be a reason he isn’t being recruited very hard.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
What is your fascination with if a kid was held back at any point? It’s different for each player. Some kids start kindergarten at a super old age and aren’t a holdback but are super old. Some kids start kindergarten young and get held back in 8th grade. Silva has 20+ high major offers from the top programs in the country so obviously he has the size and skill set that coaches want. You don’t see very many 6-4 point guards with length who are elite ball handlers and passers and play like a pro out of the pick and roll. I think SIlva’s best basketball is in front of him because he is a pure point guard and playing with elite talent will only elevate what he does well. I haven’t seen a ton of Yeager but I like his game. Doesn’t shoot it very well though and with his lack of height might be a reason he isn’t being recruited very hard.
it doesnt make a big difference for the kids who will graduate at 17 if in the correct grade. the ones who birthdate are prior to december. the difference is the kids who were born past december who have to wait to start school a year later. then in high school they are 19 their last year instead of that being their freshman year of college.

it doesnt make a big difference for the kids who will graduate at 17 if in the correct grade. the ones who birthdate are prior to december. the difference is the kids who were born past december who have to wait to start school a year later. then in high school they are 19 their last year instead of that being their freshman year of college.

Which almost never happens to my knowledge. I can’t recall one case of a player being 19 in the first semester of his senior year in high school and being ineligible.

Which almost never happens to my knowledge. I can’t recall one case of a player being 19 in the first semester of his senior year in high school and being ineligible.
no but if they play fall or winter sport and turn 19 in april they got the extra year

Yeah Coaches at the next level love Silva. He’s an extension of a coach running the show. He has so many intangibles which is why you see all the offers. He makes others better. I Don’t get too caught up in 1 on 1 matchups. Jesuit is no match for Sheldon so they can run tons of players at him without giving up anything. Does Yeager hold any offers yet?

Not a fascination. Its fact. If it didn't matter then why do it. Fact is. Holding a kid back does help...Especially if you got the right information. Game plan. Just telling the truth. I call it point shaving. In the end it all balances out. A lot of the older kids flame out in college. They don't get better. But that's another issue.

If you can't start with a known fact and or truth to talk in an evaluation, then there is nothing else to talk about...And yes there are different circumstances for different kids.

Some start school late. Others have learning difficulties and repeat grades. Others are fine and there people that hold them out a year or repeat a grade to mature further then the rest. To get a leg up. ...But Lets start with a baseline of facts.

Last edited:
If it didn't matter then why do it. Fact is. Holding a kid back does help.

Just because people do it doesn’t mean it’s helpful to the kid. Every circumstance is different, and each kid has different needs and challenges.

And what is the end game? To get a college scholarship? To be able to play in college? To make the NBA? To be able to start and/or get significant playing time on your high school team? To be able to read/study at grade level and graduate from high school/college?

Reactions: superle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT