ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro vs Granite Bay - SJS DII Championship Final GB 15-0

Sure there was a lack of scoring in this game but GB doesn't score allot of points anyways. GB is very comfortable winning games 14-10. Low scoring, grind it affairs is what they want. GB offense like Veer, DW low scoring grind it out run oriented offense. The Griz dominated this game on both sides of the ball....Sure the score was low but not bc of great defense. Check the time of poss. and it will tell the tape...That is what they do control the LOS, keep possession and grind the clock....punted when they needed, took the 3 when available, and managed the clock well. On the other hand DO run game was shut down, LOS controlled by GB, young QB struggled all night, badly misfiring on open receivers and countered by holding the ball to long and taking unneeded sacks.......the old saying, fewest mistakes wins....

Reactions: RidgeRider
Sure there was a lack of scoring in this game but GB doesn't score allot of points anyways. GB is very comfortable winning games 14-10. Low scoring, grind it affairs is what they want. GB offense like Veer, DW low scoring grind it out run oriented offense. The Griz dominated this game on both sides of the ball....Sure the score was low but not bc of great defense. Check the time of poss. and it will tell the tape...That is what they do control the LOS, keep possession and grind the clock....punted when they needed, took the 3 when available, and managed the clock well. On the other hand DO run game was shut down, LOS controlled by GB, young QB struggled all night, badly misfiring on open receivers and countered by holding the ball to long and taking unneeded sacks.......the old saying, fewest mistakes wins....

This is pretty spot-on. DO has had QB problem most of the season. It’s clearer now why they struggled to decide between Jr & Sr most of the season. A really tough run D like GB has really illuminated the issue as DO tried to pass to open up the box a little.

This is pretty spot-on. DO has had QB problem most of the season. It’s clearer now why they struggled to decide between Jr & Sr most of the season. A really tough run D like GB has really illuminated the issue as DO tried to pass to open up the box a little.
Agreed. The power run stuff of old was working for abit but GB knew what to do to control it and DO rightfully began to throw...The young QB just could not hit his wide open receivers. Then when he held for deeper routes he took the sack instead of getting rid of the ball....GB is a grind it out, play defense kinda team....Kudos to the Eagles as I and many other never thought they would make the off's much less the section.

Got it but having the players has more to do with it...and he had more than a few...

Agreed.

GB has 4 D1 full ride athletes on the team (DO has zero). Nobody prepares for an opponent better than they do (not saying other programs don't prepare as much, just that GB will do everything they can).

GB has one of the biggest and most physical lines I've seen. I've heard other schools programs, not in SFL, say DO is big and physical but GB is noticeably bigger, across the board, and they are well coached.

GB has some great kids, they are experienced and I think they will get to the state bowl game.

Agreed. The power run stuff of old was working for abit but GB knew what to do to control it and DO rightfully began to throw...The young QB just could not hit his wide open receivers. Then when he held for deeper routes he took the sack instead of getting rid of the ball....GB is a grind it out, play defense kinda team....Kudos to the Eagles as I and many other never thought they would make the off's much less the section.

Looking back, I wonder if that first sack where GB 's #5 laid him out, rattled him the rest of the game......because he was missing open receivers. He has a badly hurt foot that is pretty taped up that has impacted his mobility the last few weeks as well. Not able to extend plays but he had a bad night. Hopefully he learns from this loss.

Last edited:
WWHS44, yep, you nailed It! Manage the clock and control the LOS! Clearly GB had dudes and D.O. was at a disadvantage. The QB was done after he took that hit. Hard to second guess but the senior QB put up 21 on GB in the first game so why not give him the nod? Maybe not as athletic but clearly more composed. Very few sacks, turnovers, or forgotten plays so maybe a better choice? Good luck to GB, will try and make the game!

GB time of poss was huge, def couldn't get off field real lukcy it was 9-0 at half not 21-0, del oro def should take page from GB, they been nails all year and del oro couldn't stop their aveage offense

Like I said earlier in the year, Senior QB reminds me of Bobby Heatherington who led DO to state. Smart kid, with a Dan Marino type release that gets it out quick. Constant changing at the QB position did not help DO. Easy to get infatuated with Carson Jarret and that big strong arm or the running ability of the other junior qb. Jarrett's throw to Guzman in CC game was impressive, yet Gazzaniga had a nice throw to Smart early in the season. Valid arguments either way as long as the decision is consistent as I cannot justify or understand the musical QB.

In the bigger picture, like WWHS44 pointed out, district transfers are no longer permitted. Couple this with the fact some stud players have quit or left the program. What would this DO team look like if Bear Rivers Austin Baze and Zach Ruby were senior leaders on this team? Zach Ruby was the top running back and linebacker on the 2015 DO JV team. In my opinion, the team MVP. After that season he gets moved to corner and eventually said "screw this" I am out of here. DO has a lower enrollment than other SFL programs and needs to keep these stud type players playing and in the program. Football participation is way down and this has impacted DO as JV and Freshmen numbers were very low this season.

On the bright side, the DO loss to GB will give them an argument that they should remain in D2. There is no way this program can generate the success the Loomis community expects at the D1 level.

ya'll make good points, especially divisions, del oro size wise seems like div 3 not 2, much smaller, why they div 2? Interesting note on transfer who left, gotta make em happy if they can help ya, so why tehy move him to db? and the Q early in season always looked fine, the one vs Lincoln and GB struggled bad, why not sub him, didn't look rite after early hit vs GB

Reactions: mudhound
Del Oro still allows kids to apply from outside the district as long as: it is done for a valid reason, their district releases the child and DO has room (grades come into play now).

Kids from Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln will still transfer into Del Oro for family, program and sports reasons. Lots of Del Oro grads live close by but can't afford Loomis, so they live in nearby Rocklin, Roseville and Lincoln. So while the kids in Colfax, Bear River, etc, have had the door closed, it's still open outside the district for the right reasons.

I think kids will still come play football at DO, but maybe not as many as while CT was there. We will have to see how much it impacts the level of play.

I fully agree DO dodged a bullet not winning sections. The school is not a D1 enrollment school, nor D2....it's not physically big enough to educate that many kids.

Decoydan, not sure what you see in Jarrett, you're certainly in the minority! One long pass doesn't make up for the INT's, messed up plays, sacks, etc! Kid needs a lot of work in my opinion. Senior QB was more of a leader and gave up far less sacks and INT's and you never saw him turn around and ask for the play a second time. Should have stuck with the senior all year and I agree with Renegade, that kid was done after he took that hit!!!!

Del Oro still allows kids to apply from outside the district as long as: it is done for a valid reason, their district releases the child and DO has room (grades come into play now).

Kids from Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln will still transfer into Del Oro for family, program and sports reasons. Lots of Del Oro grads live close by but can't afford Loomis, so they live in nearby Rocklin, Roseville and Lincoln. So while the kids in Colfax, Bear River, etc, have had the door closed, it's still open outside the district for the right reasons.

I think kids will still come play football at DO, but maybe not as many as while CT was there. We will have to see how much it impacts the level of play.

I fully agree DO dodged a bullet not winning sections. The school is not a D1 enrollment school, nor D2....it's not physically big enough to educate that many kids.
RR,
Agreed on all your points but I think the Districts point will be in boundary kids get priority. Build is expected to come in Loomis. As I understand it Del Oro has over 400 out of district transfer kids. That number needs to be reduced for in boundary residents. The kids from out of District will be thoroughly vetted by the District, So I have read in several publications. The open transfer policy within the District has also been shut down and interviews with the board will be done for applicants. Schools such as Colfax and Foresthill cant afford to lose 2,3,4 or any amount of students.

I feel that will make an impact on the FB program. Frosh team has had 75 kids per year yet this season has fallen to 35? While it will affect football, I think it is all tied to housing and population growth in the area....not footballs success...

Mudhound, I do not think our points are that far apart. I hated the musical QB and I believe that a senior who has spent his time in the program earning the spot should be given the benefit. I contribute his lack of sacks to his high football IQ and the fact he has a very quick release much like Dan Marino did. Not sure how much more complimentary I can be about the senior? Let's not forget that he was the holder of two huge field goals in the playoffs that kept the season going. I contribute the improvement on offense to the line coach/improved line play and the play calling as the season progressed and not the fact that they changed quarterbacks. With a little more consistency and loyalty to players, I think DO could still be playing. This was my point on how the program needs to stop running kids out of town. FB Dad is always commenting on how good the junior linebackers are. The conversation should be, how good senior linebackers are and talking about guys like Zach Ruby and Wyatt Craythorn. Unfortunately, these guys were not a part of the program. Need to keep these types of kids playing.

What happened to Ruby and Craythorn? Where did they go?

Last edited:
RR,
Agreed on all your points but I think the Districts point will be in boundary kids get priority. Build is expected to come in Loomis. As I understand it Del Oro has over 400 out of district transfer kids. That number needs to be reduced for in boundary residents. The kids from out of District will be thoroughly vetted by the District, So I have read in several publications. The open transfer policy within the District has also been shut down and interviews with the board will be done for applicants. Schools such as Colfax and Foresthill cant afford to lose 2,3,4 or any amount of students.

I feel that will make an impact on the FB program. Frosh team has had 75 kids per year yet this season has fallen to 35? While it will affect football, I think it is all tied to housing and population growth in the area....not footballs success...

35 is about right. 2 other freshman started on JV and one enrolled at the 11th hour at CC. Some really good freshman athletes on campus playing other sports that would play football in the past.

I saw small squads at most of the freshman games I got to see this year. Numbers seem to be down at most schools now.

Also, yes fewer transfers in the future as new building in the DO district in Rocklin and possible new growth in Loomis in the future will reduce the numbers down for sure.

Last edited:
I saw Zach Ruby play as a JV tailback and I thought he was the "guy" in Del Oro's future. What happened? Did he play anywhere this year? If not, what a loss!! Was he a Bear River kid along with Baze? And why did Craythorn quit???

Ruby much better linebacker than tailback! Probably saw the writing on the wall with the DC playing his kid out of position as Linebacker and getting moved to corner. Should have been playing O-Line both years but that ship has sailed.......

Reactions: RidgeRider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT