ADVERTISEMENT

Developing look at CIF State and Regional Bowl Divisions

Does Nor Cal have a "play in" game for the Open State Champion slot, or is it just awarded (like the CIFSS)?

Nor Cal probably has their best shots in the D1A and D1AA games. Those could be pretty compelling.

Until CN can actually beat Marin Catholic in a big game im in wait and see mode.

They couldn't beat MC when Cronin was there (accept when they were CLEARLY more talented) and that took a miracle 45 yd fg late in 4th in a torrential rainstorm by a MaxPreps all American kicker.

MC has owned CN under Cronin and we will see how Sanchez does this year (with what looks to me like pretty even talent overall between the 2 teams)
MC started their backup today who is way better then their starter, and ofc like I said all season dude comes out and throws 4 TDs like it’s no thing……..MC offensive line is still terrible so I expect CN to crowd the line to stop Williams and bring lots of pressure, Mc offensive line in big wins gave up tons and tons of sacks and they are holding machines………MC defense is stout against the run so should be interesting there

Their defense this year is a lot better than last year and the offense has seemingly developed, too. I say seemingly because the CCS overall is not as strong as the last two years, so it's hard to say exactly after the Padres early wins against DLS and Folsom where they weren't all that explosive.
Yes I believe they’re a bit better and certainly have the experience.As i stated MD and SJB are still very formidable but they have shown flaws in their game this year which makes me think this years Open will be competitive

Does Nor Cal have a "play in" game for the Open State Champion slot, or is it just awarded (like the CIFSS)?

Nor Cal probably has their best shots in the D1A and D1AA games. Those could be pretty compelling.
CIF handles Open the same for North and South

CIF handles Open the same for North and South
Which is why it would be ridiculous for NorCal to have an Open Regional. SoCal eliminated the need for this game and neither the SDS, nor LACS want one.

Which is why it would be ridiculous for NorCal to have an Open Regional. SoCal eliminated the need for this game and neither the SDS, nor LACS want one.
Agreed, that would be dumb. But for the CIF to have 2 sets of criteria for bowl games is just strange for consistency.

I get
that the Open is for the state championship and is the game that really matters, but not sure why they couldn’t keep just the same format across the board for selections.

Agreed, that would be dumb. But for the CIF to have 2 sets of criteria for bowl games is just strange for consistency.

I get
that the Open is for the state championship and is the game that really matters, but not sure why they couldn’t keep just the same format across the board for selections.
I think it is the Southern Section. People here go on and on about some supposed "Folsom rule", but really the SS has been trying to figure out its competitive equity thing for as long as the CCS has.

Once it was decided they would move Corona Centennial to their D-1, there was really no one left who would likely compete with that champion for an Open slot. The SDS Open winner is good, but they compete against SS D-2, not 1.

Does the SDS want its top team eliminated by the SS D-1 champ? No. Prior to Narbonne getting busted, the LACS didn't either. They were more than happy to vote for removal of the Open Regional. In the north, no one was yet touching DLS, so an Open Regional wasn't in the best interest of either the CCS or SJS.

When you really look at this as a whole, it's pretty easy to see why it passed 10-0. This is why it's stupid to call it the Folsom rule.

I think it is the Southern Section. People here go on and on about some supposed "Folsom rule", but really the SS has been trying to figure out its competitive equity thing for as long as the CCS has.

Once it was decided they would move Corona Centennial to their D-1, there was really no one left who would likely compete with that champion for an Open slot. The SDS Open winner is good, but they compete against SS D-2, not 1.

Does the SDS want its top team eliminated by the SS D-1 champ? No. Prior to Narbonne getting busted, the LACS didn't either. They were more than happy to vote for removal of the Open Regional. In the north, no one was yet touching DLS, so an Open Regional wasn't in the best interest of either the CCS or SJS.

When you really look at this as a whole, it's pretty easy to see why it passed 10-0. This is why it's stupid to call it the Folsom rule.
I’d be curious to what financial cut the sections get for SBG wins and selections per team?

I’d be curious to what financial cut the sections get for SBG wins and selections per team?
This isn't the NFL, so I'm certain the wins are meaningless in terms of splitting the revenue. The overall money is likely distributed along the lines of the voting power from each section (roughly proportional to the number of schools overall).

This isn't the NFL, so I'm certain the wins are meaningless in terms of splitting the revenue. The overall money is likely distributed along the lines of the voting power from each section (roughly proportional to the number of schools overall).
Well yes maybe not for wins, but very highly likely for selections. There
has to be some financial benefit for the sections, otherwise they wouldn’t care less how many teams were selected or from what section.

I’m just be curios of the financial breakdown and benefit and how much it pays out.

Well yes maybe not for wins, but very highly likely for selections. There
has to be some financial benefit for the sections, otherwise they wouldn’t care less how many teams were selected or from what section.

I’m just be curios of the financial breakdown and benefit and how much it pays out.
All champions potentially advance, pending schools' wish for participation. Keeping in mind that the Northern Section may have their smaller schools refuse to travel to SoCal. I don't think that the section would (or should) get punished for that.

These are CIF events, so all of the sections likely get something for it. If it were based on the number of teams playing, then you'd likely see the CCS suddenly add another division or two.

Reactions: bella123
These are CIF events, so all of the sections likely get something for it. If it were based on the number of teams playing, then you'd likely see the CCS suddenly add another division or two.
Or some sections (NCS) changing their guidelines to scheme the system by using such tactics as “losers” move on to push more teams in. That is why I wonder about the financial gain for such endeavors.

Reactions: THEOC89
Or some sections (NCS) changing their guidelines to scheme the system by using such tactics as “losers” move on to push more teams in. That is why I wonder about the financial gain for such endeavors.

NCS got tired of the complaints about DLS.

Didn’t the CCS enact the same system to allow a losing team to advance in addition to Serra?
Yes, but I suspect this had more to do with greed for the CCS than fear of Serra. They had been in the forefront of trying to squeeze more of their top teams into the CIF games more than most sections.

Reactions: FBAddict
Interesting proposition - what if the CIF committee chose Clovis North to represent NorCal as the Open Division candidate? I can already hear all the bitching and moaning! I think Serra has a slightly better resume with a win over DLS and Folsom. However, Clovis North might have a descent argument with their win over JSerra and the Tri-River league gauntlet that is probably better than the WCAL, EB-MAL or SFAL this year.

JUST A PICKS FOR THE UP COMING MATCHES, ALL FOUR GAMES WILL BE HARD FOUGHT, THIS IS MY CHOICE.

Friday night.....San Marin 12-0 vs. Acalanes 8-4......San Marin 24 Acalanes 20.....The Don's have been stumbling at the last several games they played, SM played solid and now they are ready to win the big one.

St. Bernard 9-3 vs. Miramonte 8-3....SB is well balanced and showed it against Analy and will do it agsain...
St. Bernard 27 Miramonte 13

Sat......Rocklin 12-1 vs. St. Mary's 11-1.....St. Mary's 37 Rocklin 24,,The Rams are too fast for the Rock, but they do have one of the best passing teams in the area, St. Mary has to be sharp on pass defense or it will the offense speed to save them...

Marin Catholic 12-1 vs. Cardinal Newman 11-1...... Cardinal Newman 24 Marin Catholic 14.....I pick a upset, the Cards have not beat MC for several years and this game could be it...CN rolled over Las Lomas, the Cards played together and have improved and will want to win again...

Reactions: MC415 and THEOC89
Interesting proposition - what if the CIF committee chose Clovis North to represent NorCal as the Open Division candidate? I can already hear all the bitching and moaning! I think Serra has a slightly better resume with a win over DLS and Folsom. However, Clovis North might have a descent argument with their win over JSerra and the Tri-River league gauntlet that is probably better than the WCAL, EB-MAL or SFAL this year.
This is exactly what I am hoping for!…. 🤣

There is no way this will happen this year, Serra has the Better Resume unless the Committee favors the JSerra win For CN and the strength of league, and section….

But the wins over DLS and Folsom should be enough…. But what if DLS, Serra and Folsom all finished with 1 loss each and won their sections…..

Should CN be named The Nor Cal Open Champ?….. Or should a real Nor Cal team have a chance to play them for it?…..

THEOC89.......Sounds right, I argree, if CN is picked as the champ, I believe they have to beat MC first, CN is good, but I don't think they could handle DLS, Serra or Folsom., this is a different type of football.

THEOC89.......Sounds right, I argree, if CN is picked as the champ, I believe they have to beat MC first, CN is good, but I don't think they could handle DLS, Serra or Folsom., this is a different type of football.
I apologize….. I meant Clovis North, I was just being lazy and didn’t want to spell it out…. 🤣🍻

How would Sondie know?….. The Committee hasn’t even met yet?…. 🤣

They should be though, Serra’s Resume is better even-though their League and the CCS was down this year….

I just hope Serra puts up a fight this year…. The last 2 years they looked defeated once they got off the Bus…. They need to believe they can win…. They have the defense, but can Walsh be creative enough on offense to move the ball and keep it away from SJB or MD…..

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
We will see what happens but right now Lincoln is leading Balboa 14-0. This will adjust the bottom side of the RBG seeding, although it will probably amount to nothing more than changing Balboa with Lincoln.

They should be though, Serra’s Resume is better even-though their League and the CCS was down this year….

I just hope Serra puts up a fight this year…. The last 2 years they looked defeated once they got off the Bus…. They need to believe they can win…. They have the defense, but can Walsh be creative enough on offense to move the ball and keep it away from SJB or MD…..
See? You just make up stuff without knowing anything.

Respect for Serra

We will see what happens but right now Lincoln is leading Balboa 14-0. This will adjust the bottom side of the RBG seeding, although it will probably amount to nothing more than changing Balboa with Lincoln.
I would love SF to be matched with NCS D7.

Lincoln/Balboa have been skating by either skipping the NorCal game or playing the absolute weakest team. In the State bowl I think Lincoln played a team with a losing record?!

Reactions: MC415
I would love SF to be matched with NCS D7.

Lincoln/Balboa have been skating by either skipping the NorCal game or playing the absolute weakest team. In the State bowl I think Lincoln played a team with a losing record?!
Although I think you might be right about the SFS champion needing a bigger challenge, it is a slight mischaracterization to suggest Crenshaw was a team with a losing record. Crenshaw was 7-7 coming into the CA SBG game.

Whoever represents the North should take a hard look at Corona Centennial. They had Mater Dei beat a couple years ago but 2x inside the 10 they went for it on 4th down and came away empty losing 21-16. 2 FG away from a state Ship. This year they go for 2 against Bosco and lose 43-42 amassing over 500 yds of offense vs a D1 loaded defense. They have the recipe . Follow it

Whoever represents the North should take a hard look at Corona Centennial. They had Mater Dei beat a couple years ago but 2x inside the 10 they went for it on 4th down and came away empty losing 21-16. 2 FG away from a state Ship. This year they go for 2 against Bosco and lose 43-42 amassing over 500 yds of offense vs a D1 loaded defense. They have the recipe . Follow it
I’ve always been impressed with their program.
Great coaching along with elite level talent will keep you in plenty of games. They may not have as many d1 kids as MD or Bosco, but they aren’t far behind. They would easily beat any of our teams this year (north) and I really don’t think Serra will have much of a chance against SJB/MD Winner.

So find the next Matt Logan is what you’re saying.

Casa Roble takes the place of Twelve Bridges and probably maintains the D-4AA slot according to CP ratings.

I just noticed Bell (LAS D3) is listed as the D 7A slot for the south. Actually bell lost to Jordan last week. The game is going on now between Jordan and Washington. Either winner will likely fill that same slot as Bell.

I just noticed Bell (LAS D3) is listed as the D 7A slot for the south. Actually bell lost to Jordan last week. The game is going on now between Jordan and Washington. Either winner will likely fill that same slot as Bell.
Yes, but you're looking at last week's list.

Reactions: FBAddict
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT