ADVERTISEMENT

Does the local angle matter for the Valklyries?

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
So Sabrina Ionescu could be signed by the Valkyries ...

How many more games would you attend at Chase Center because Sabrina played basketball in the East Bay? (This is different than wanting to go to a game because she's a really good player.)

I was already thinking about it, even though I had never heard news of any possible Sabrina signing.

I wish they wouldn't be so coy about ticket prices, demanding a non-refundable deposit before any prices are announced...

if i can get free tickets i would hit a couple. def if kelsey plum or skylar diggins are in town.

How many more games would you attend at Chase Center because Sabrina played basketball in the East Bay? (This is different than wanting to go to a game because she's a really good player.)
I think it would help with the initial draw at least. And she is really good with marketing that it definitely wouldn't hurt in the beginning

btw, it would be even better if they could somehow snag Paige Bueckers…. That would be one heck of a backcourt!

Super unlikely, but one can dream…

We put up for the deposit. Regardless of who is on the team it’s exciting. My daughter plays hoops entering Senior year in hs. After pretty much only going to men’s sports with her brothers except for some college and other hs games, this is just a great thing. Prepared to get hit hard on tix, but not as many games. Free agents, expansion draft and draft. They will be solid. Having Sabrina or Paige would be awesome, but they’ve already sold at least 15k tix so numbers are pretty solid already. They could suck and get Juju in a few years.

The Valkyries apparently are not expecting all the deposits to become season tickets -- and there are partial plans too. I've heard they're basically looking to fill the lower bowl, which is a reasonable goal.

I think they'll need to win to get crowds in the 10,000 range.

Partial plan would be my call. You are right..after the new car smell wears off they will need to win.

Another bit of speculation: Will this new enterprise home in on the Stanford women's hoops connection in any significant way? Whether it's coaches or players, a link-up would seem to make some sense. A fan base for the sport is already in place.

If they got Paige Beukers or Juju Watkins, I think that's more of a national draw than Sabrina. Please don't get me wrong...Sabrina is AMAZING, but with social media these days, Page and Juju are HOT and will be getting similar attention as C. Clark.

Stanford isn't in the top 20 in attendance and doesn't put those numbers on the internet in an easily accessible way -- but I'm guessing they might draw 2,500. If so, tapping into 10% of that market wouldn't really move the needle at Chase, but the Valkyries may be able to promote single games when Cameron Brink, say, comes to SF.

Stanford isn't in the top 20 in attendance and doesn't put those numbers on the internet in an easily accessible way -- but I'm guessing they might draw 2,500. If so, tapping into 10% of that market wouldn't really move the needle at Chase, but the Valkyries may be able to promote single games when Cameron Brink, say, comes to SF.
Do you think Brink could pull that much? I think the pull will be from the incoming rookie classes moving forward. WoBa is on the uppity up and trending in social media. It will be amazing to see how much the league will transform in the next 2-4 years. I just hope it doesn't get to the point where they follow in the footsteps of the NBA. That league is a complete joke...

The unprotected players that they will have access to their first season will not include any of the players listed as being local draws. They will have to wait till their contracts run out and become free agents.

I love the NBA. It's the best basketball in the world. The best players come from everywhere to play in it.

I would love the WNBA to get the best talent too ... but there's just not enough money yet.

Reactions: colhenrylives
I love the NBA. It's the best basketball in the world. The best players come from everywhere to play in it.

I would love the WNBA to get the best talent too ... but there's just not enough money yet.
I can't stand watching the NBA. Players don't play hard and entitled. I love the pureness of the WNBA. There is still something to prove. I guess the unknown is still appealing to me as there is an upward tick in women's basketball. I'd much rather watch a WNBA game than an NBA game in a Bay View minute...

The unprotected players that they will have access to their first season will not include any of the players listed as being local draws. They will have to wait till their contracts run out and become free agents.
I was referring to Clay's 10% draw with Brink heading to the bay to play a game each season. She's a GREAT player, but doesn't draw the attention and follow like other players IMHO

Reactions: ClayK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT