ADVERTISEMENT

Early Preseason Schedules via MaxPreps

That’s a good test for Campo.
No doubt O22. I don't think Macy wanted any part of the EBAL big schools a decade ago, and the 580/680 schools would rarely move down a Division. IMO, they're down now and with Anderson leaving MV for coaching $, there's a good chance he can claw a W there.

Turlock preseason:

Rocklin
Clovis West
Central - Fresno
Manteca
Clayton Valley Charter

Coach Peterson continuing his practice of scheduling tough out-of-conference games to prepare team for the playoffs. A down year for them in 2021 but I think they will bounce back this year. The schedule last year was the same except for Bullard instead of Central, and they were close in every game and defeated Clovis West with a backup quarterback. Every game except Rocklin, that is. Turlock was missing key players including quarterback and if they had played they still would have been smoked but at least they might have scored.
That's a nice preseason schedule right there

Reactions: concrete17
8/26 Jesse Bethel
9/2 at San Diego Honor Bowl against Libert of Henderson
9/9 at California
9/16 Folsom
9/30 Macclymonds

then BVAL play
Pitt playing Bethel is borderline criminal and should disqualify them from Open playoff consideration. Disgusting that they would schedule a game like this.

Pitt playing Bethel is borderline criminal and should disqualify them from Open playoff consideration. Disgusting that they would schedule a game like this.
Yeah, I saw that. Very unPittlike to schedule them. Gotta be something like the two coaches know each other very well, longtime friends etc.....at least that would be my guess. Or Bethel attempting to resurrect their program and scheduling Pitt gives their kids an idea of the quality of program they're shooting for. There has to be a silver lining somewhere

Salinas High Cowboys (CCS PCAL Gabilan) upped their nonleague schedule with team that will be favorite in the PCAL Gab and lots of weapons and talent returning.

Nonleague schedule:
  • @ Clayton Valley Charter High School Friday, 26 Aug. at 7:00 p.m.
  • @ Valley Christian High School, Friday, 2 Sept. at 7:00 p.m.
  • vs Clovis High School at The Pit (Salinas) Friday, 9 Sept. at 7:00 p.m.

Four-time Gabilan Division champion Salinas (over last 5 years with year before last season no league champion due to Covid). Finished last season undefeated in league and 8-1 overall (loss to Menlo Atherton 35-31 in CCS D1 playoffs). Cowboys are preseason favorite again to win the Gabilan division in my opinion and could go far in the playoffs.

Passing attack should be special
  • Nyziah Hunter, Sr, WR/DB, 6-2, 200 (40 4.5), One of the top prospects in CCS in class of 2023. 10.62 100M as Jr and CCS fastest time so far. (Army offered, UMass offer, Harvard interest so far)
  • Adam Shaffer, Sr., QB, 6-2, 212, returning starter. Potential college prospect. Offensive Player of Year Monterey Herald
  • Aidan Flynn, Sr, LB, 6-2, 210 (40 4.8), PCAL-Gab MVP
  • Emerson Cortez, WR/TE, 1st team all league
If line reloads and they have defensive leadership, they could do some damage in CCS playoff time.

Last edited:
Salinas High Cowboys (CCS PCAL Gabilan) upped their nonleague schedule with team that will be favorite in the PCAL Gab and lots of weapons and talent returning.

Nonleague schedule:
  • @ Clayton Valley Charter High School Friday, 26 Aug. at 7:00 p.m.
  • @ Valley Christian High School, Friday, 2 Sept. at 7:00 p.m.
  • vs Clovis High School a2 The Pit Friday, 9 Sept. at 7:00 p.m.

Four-time Gabilan Division champion Salinas (over last 5 years with year before last season no league champion due to Covid). Finished last season undefeated in league and 8-1 overall (loss to Menlo Atherton 35-31 in CCS D1 playoffs). Cowboys are preseason favorite again to win the Gabilan division in my opinion and could go far in the playoffs.

Passing attack should be special
  • Nyziah Hunter, Sr, WR/DB, 6-2, 200 (40 4.5), One of the top prospects in CCS in class of 2023. 10.92 100M year (Army offered, UMass offer, Harvard interest so far)
  • Adam Shaffer, Sr., QB, 6-2, 212, returning starter. Potential college prospect. Offensive Player of Year Monterey Herald
  • Aidan Flynn, Sr, LB, 6-2, 210 (40 4.8), PCAL-Gab MVP; Emerson Cortez, WR/TE, 1st team all league. D1A prospect
  • Emerson Cortez, WR/TE, 1st team all league
If line reloads and they have defensive leadership, they could do some damage in CCS playoff time.
This is how schools should be looking to be scheduling. BIG props to Salinas for doing the right thing and preparing a preseason schedule with marquee games relative to the team they're projecting to have. If all goes well they have a chance to be the top CCS public this year.

This is how schools should be looking to be scheduling. BIG props to Salinas for doing the right thing and preparing a preseason schedule with marquee games relative to the team they're projecting to have. If all goes well they have a chance to be the top CCS public this year.
Agree. They have gradually upgraded their schedule since Steve Zenk took over as head coach. Some games they scheduled in recent seasons were cancelled due to Covid and fires (e.g., Placer, San Ramon Valley). However, playing out of section like the are this season is recent. Zenk is an excellent coach and they get a huge pool of students (~ 200 at all levels) and more talent has opted to play at Salinas over Palma. Not sure how the line looks and that will be interesting matchup with VC and CVC.

Reactions: remc and concrete17
I apologize if this is repeating earlier info but Central Catholic is set to play St John Bosco this year. They will also be Division I this coming season

I apologize if this is repeating earlier info but Central Catholic is set to play St John Bosco this year. They will also be Division I this coming season

This is AWESOME. Huge props to Central Catholic for stepping up to the challenge, they back down from nobody. Hopefully they win D1 this year as a reward.

They've got a monster non-league schedule. St. Francis (Mt. View), St. Mary's, Serra, and SJB. Crazy.

They've got a monster non-league schedule. St. Francis (Mt. View), St. Mary's, Serra, and SJB. Crazy.
WOW, hope attrition doesn't take a toll on them with that monster non league schedule.Geezus

WOW, hope attrition doesn't take a toll on them with that monster non league schedule.Geezus
Central Catholic usually has small teams in numbers, so injuries can drop them below 30 players sometimes. This is what happened a few years ago when they had a very tough OOC schedule and some key players were out. A big step up for them but why not? A chance to compete at the very top level of the state and country too, for that matter. The SJB coach called immediately after Central Catholic posted the opening after Windsor backed out of the scheduled game and offered to play. He and the Central coach already had a relationship from coaching in an all-star game, plus Central practiced at SJB before their bowl game last year.

Central Catholic usually has small teams in numbers, so injuries can drop them below 30 players sometimes. This is what happened a few years ago when they had a very tough OOC schedule and some key players were out. A big step up for them but why not? A chance to compete at the very top level of the state and country too, for that matter. The SJB coach called immediately after Central Catholic posted the opening after Windsor backed out of the scheduled game and offered to play. He and the Central coach already had a relationship from coaching in an all-star game, plus Central practiced at SJB before their bowl game last year.
Roster size is an overrated aspect of high school football. Most teams are really dealing with a game-effective roster of 15 to 25 players. Well trained teams like Central Catholic don't usually suffer injuries from being out-matched athletically. Partially, because they are seldom outmatched and partially because good technique, strength training, and conditioning are what gives players the best chance of avoiding injuries. CC is top-level at those things. That's part of why they were moved up to Division 1 ahead of schedule, I presume.

Roster size is an overrated aspect of high school football. Most teams are really dealing with a game-effective roster of 15 to 25 players. Well trained teams like Central Catholic don't usually suffer injuries from being out-matched athletically. Partially, because they are seldom outmatched and partially because good technique, strength training, and conditioning are what gives players the best chance of avoiding injuries. CC is top-level at those things. That's part of why they were moved up to Division 1 ahead of schedule, I presume.
This is interesting and something Monterey Trail has utilized with success as well. Always good to have depth, but its a great point that the actual game effective players is usually smaller

I do not recall the exact injuries as I am not a Central Catholic fan but just live in the area. Yes, there are usually not a lot of players necessarily used but when the injuries are to key players, especially at the skill positions, and the replacements are not at the same level (which can be true with a small roster), then that can make a huge difference. And even highly conditioned athletes with good technique can be injured.

You make good points, but quality of opponents matter. With that non league schedule, and the quality of opponents on it, injuries are more likely to happen. CC is a small enrollment school, with a great football program. I agree with you on their strength and conditioning, but those first weeks of the season are going to put their S&C to the test

Reactions: Cal 14
You make good points, but quality of opponents matter. With that non league schedule, and the quality of opponents on it, injuries are more likely to happen. CC is a small enrollment school, with a great football program. I agree with you on their strength and conditioning, but those first weeks of the season are going to put their S&C to the test
Additionally, how is a schedule this tough going to help them at the end of the year in so far as SBG consideration is concerned? Sure, they can point to a super tough schedule, but for it to matter you've got to WIN a couple of those games. They could very well lose all those non league games and still be an excellent team. It's a double edged sword. But I certainly admire them.

I do not recall the exact injuries as I am not a Central Catholic fan but just live in the area. Yes, there are usually not a lot of players necessarily used but when the injuries are to key players, especially at the skill positions, and the replacements are not at the same level (which can be true with a small roster), then that can make a huge difference. And even highly conditioned athletes with good technique can be injured.
Of course everything you say is true. My point is that it is actually true even when the rosters are larger. More kids doesn't necessarily mean better players. Look at Folsom last year. They usually have around 70 players on their varsity roster. They were shredding people early on, then their QB got hurt. Even in that program, with that talent pipeline and 50 extra kids, they struggled and lost three out of four when he got injured and while he was out. He comes back and they make a run all the way to a state title game. Roster size wasn't the issue.

Reactions: Cuba_Libre
Additionally, how is a schedule this tough going to help them at the end of the year in so far as SBG consideration is concerned? Sure, they can point to a super tough schedule, but for it to matter you've got to WIN a couple of those games. They could very well lose all those non league games and still be an excellent team. It's a double edged sword. But I certainly admire them.
I believe Del Oro has demonstrated that this is not true. Winning a section title is the only thing that qualifies you for the state playoffs. None of these games directly impact that section title bid, other than the health of the players afterward for the games that do matter.

Might as well add in some other schedules to round this thread out:

BOSCO

8/26 at ALLEN, TX

9/2 at Bishop Amat

9/9 AT CENTRAL CATHOLIC, OR in AUTZEN STADIUM U of O

9/17 Kahuka, HI

9/23 CENTRAL CATHOLIC, CA

9/30 At Servite

10/7 at MATER DEI

10/14 JSerra

10/21 Orange Lutheran

10/28 Santa Margarita.

Bosco with a marquee matchup in Allen high school's college size stadium to begin the season, then got some good local games at upstart Bishop Amat, an out of state game against one of the best teams in Oregon with 5 star DE Ryan Williams at Autzen Stadium, then a game against Hawaii which is usually on the schedule. Then we got Central Catholic from Central Valley, CA who appear brave this season with their schedule, then round it out with the tough trinity league schedule as usual.

If you ask me, I got my money on Bosco winning the trinity league, CIF SS, and state. Team is loaded this season led by Pierce Clarkson (son of the notable qb guru Steve Clarkson), Matayo Uiagalelei, RJ Jones, JShawn, and of course a whole squad of D1 bound seniors, juniors, and sophomores.

I believe Del Oro has demonstrated that this is not true. Winning a section title is the only thing that qualifies you for the state playoffs. None of these games directly impact that section title bid, other than the health of the players afterward for the games that do matter.
You're right What I meant to say was regarding NorCals, not the SBGs

CC does a hell of job with that fb program! Dont forget they are the best/premiere fb program in Modesto/Salida and are probably the best in the 209 (Oakdale, St Marys, Manteca can argue) . Don't feel sorry for programs that have the best talent in the area and always get top talent. I root for CC bc of their staff and what they do on a day to day basis, but don't forget they have the market cornerd over there.

Reactions: ESPN Ken and MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT