ADVERTISEMENT

East back out against DLS

There is no difference between availability of flights and individuals. When a flight is released for booking (11-12 months in advance), it is available for anyone to book. You can only book flights that are released, so it is no surprise that you cannot book a 2019 flight today. But you can book a flight for Aug 2019 in Aug/Sept 2018. You don't have to wait until March like DLS apparently did.

I stated that SOUTHWEST Airlines will only book group flights , once released, 6 months out.....next release is June 3rd thru the new year....I work in the industry and called and spoke to a supervisor in group bookings....in regards to this question.....6 MONTHS with this particular airline....AA is a different company.....not all airlines have the same policy......

It doesn't really matter. The point is that MOST airlines would have booked the travel 11-12 months in advance. So your point about a single airline was implying that DLS could NOT have booked travel more than 6 months out was just mis-leading. DLS could have booked many other airlines. And this is not an apparent fare issue since all airlines quote group travel at group rates - not published fares.

I really doubt what you say about Southwest. I find it hard to believe that their policy is so different than the rest of the industry. Southwest tends to be very competitive. But I also do not care enough to call them and inquire.

The point is the same. The travel excuse is either just that - an excuse covering for some other reason, or someone really screwed up.

Here is a newbies option. The timing is strange. Shortly after they announced that they are playing Folsom. The East game is cancelled. They have the opportunity to play a couple different teams. Buchanan, IMG and a few others. They choose Buchanan. Hmmm. I do know that no high school football team travels on there own dime. There's always some kind of a deal. I was told East pays travel expenses (That doesn't necessarily mean East makes travel arrangements.) And East keeps the gate. And they would play at a college that was a couple blocks away. I have heard of deals where they split everything down the middle. I did not read the article that said dls could not afford it. The article I read said we can't afford it. I'm not saying who backed out or if it was mutual. But whoever said it was a Folsom fan and avoiding competition is absurd and ridiculous. This has nothing to do with Folsom.

I don't know what you are talking about. If you book travel (purchase a ticket), your fare remains fixed. If prices rise, airlines do not come back to you for more money. If you reserve travel, but do not ticket, then of course prices fluctuate. But that is not what we are talking about. Airlines book group rates when the flights are reserved. There is no change in air fare. From United's site:
  • A guaranteed fare for the group
And from American's site on group travel:
  • Can be booked up to 11 months in advance to American Airlines and oneworld® destinations
The idea that DLS was too busy to book their travel because they have other priorities is just another excuse. I know you are trying to give them a graceful way out, but it is simply not true. As I said, this is a deflection. Either DLS screwed up and forgot to book their travel, or they are using an excuse to cover for a different reason they wanted out of the game. It doesn't really matter why, the game is cancelled. But please stop with the travel excuse. It just doesn't fly.

I never said that the fare changes after you book. I said the flight plans can change or you can evaluate whether you can take a trip by looking at the prices one week, but they couldn't be entirely different the following when you go to book. There is no reason that DLS would have suspected that the flights and hotels would have suddenly become a problem. Trying to book 6 months in advance seems entirely reasonable to me. To claim they should have taken some sort of extra step is absurd. They aren't simply focused on this game as you are.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what you think. They gave the reasons they gave so you'll just have to either suck it up or pout in the corner over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: remc
One other option: call BS, ignore the excuse makers and move on knowing that the travel excuse is a bunch of crap.

A highly unusual situation where some, certainly not all, expect-want-hope for clarification; denigration is unbecoming.

That clarification could have been made. It was not. Any number of reasons are plausible. Any number of us have experienced a situation where a mistake was made, and others are blamed, as admitting culpability is tantamount to losing face. Simply read the news any given day. Loose lips are absent in some circles. Thankfully, inquiring minds can ferret out the truth.

It’s obvious many are curious that the best program in NCal history, with the most experienced OOS travel/scheduling/financing resume, from those within still present during that phase, couldn’t find a way to get this game done. Some are opining some silly jealousy angle. Nonsense. Not surprised how it was handled, nor responses here.

No dog in this fight I’m a SoCal guy.I am wondering why anyone cares besides DLS and East fans why this game isn’t being played? It affects no one else so why the finger pointing why do those accusers even care?

No dog in this fight I’m a SoCal guy.I am wondering why anyone cares besides DLS and East fans why this game isn’t being played? It affects no one else so why the finger pointing why do those accusers even care?

Solely because the original poster who purports to be in tight with the DLS coaching staff had attempted to blame East for backing out of the game when naming this thread, instead of just being honest about it. Then the facts came out and he left town.

Reactions: thekingera and remc
I’ve posted my comments regarding DLS’s travel and budget explanation and still think there is more to this story then what they have presented in their response. In prior years, DLS has successfully booked air travel, hotels, and ground transportation to Florida (St. Thomas Aquinas), New Jersey (Don Bosco Prep) ,and Seattle Washington (Bellevue) as a couple of examples. But now because of air travel booking complications and budget issues cannot put together the travel, hotel and ground transportation logistics for this game in SLC. It’s just not in DLS’s past MO to cancel a pre scheduled home and home commitment.

Ok, so if air travel is too complicated to arrange, here is possibly a more cost effective and workable solution to make this game a reality. Two posters on this thread brought up a reasonable option to use commercial ground charter bus transportation to SLC.

Here’s the scenario: Leave Concord after classes on Thursday afternoon and stop in Reno for the night. Out of Reno on Friday morning at 7 or 8:00am, arrive in SLC at 5 to 6:00pm and then rest for the evening. Walk through a practice on Saturday morning, play the game at 7:00pm Saturday night. Leave SLC at 7:00am Sunday morning retuning to Concord at 7 to 8:00pm Sunday evening. I’ve made the drive back from SLC to the Bay Area myself numerous times, it’s not that difficult. And if you’re riding in a charter bus not having to worry about the driving part better yet. Also the class assignments for the missed Friday can be addressed during the trip to and from SLC. My only question regarding this option would be the cost of the charter busses and the extra night. Would that expense be less than, equal too, or more than eliminating both the charter bus expense and the cost for spending 1 extra night, but incurring the expense for the round trip air fare.

Again, if DLS really wanted the play this game, one way or another they could have made it work. JMO.

Reactions: feedback1
It doesn't really matter. The point is that MOST airlines would have booked the travel 11-12 months in advance. So your point about a single airline was implying that DLS could NOT have booked travel more than 6 months out was just mis-leading. DLS could have booked many other airlines. And this is not an apparent fare issue since all airlines quote group travel at group rates - not published fares.

I really doubt what you say about Southwest. I find it hard to believe that their policy is so different than the rest of the industry. Southwest tends to be very competitive. But I also do not care enough to call them and inquire.

The point is the same. The travel excuse is either just that - an excuse covering for some other reason, or someone really screwed up.

Go ahead and call...You can apologize later....

Reactions: aztecpadre
Solely because the original poster who purports to be in tight with the DLS coaching staff had attempted to blame East for backing out of the game when naming this thread, instead of just being honest about it. Then the facts came out and he left town.
Ok that’s fair to call out the OP but to drag DLS through the mud seems over the top.If East was really going to pay for the trip and keep the gate then they are the one that couldn’t Book the flight not DLS. anyway seems much to do about nothing really

Reactions: aztecpadre and remc
The OP apologized so apparently he said something wrong. If they really wanted to play. I mean both teams. Because I don't believe for a minute that East got screwed. Let's say only 5k show up to the game. That's conservative IMO. Charge $14 instead of $10. There's 20k right there. Now when Folsom plays dls they will turn people away because OO can only hold 8 to 10k I think. I know I've heard of them having 8k plus. I guarantee you can charge $5 extra there and still sell out. People will pay $20 to see that game. But at $5 that's 40k. Hold Richardson to his word when he said they don't want any of the gate and you just paid the extra airfare. The only reason I bring up the Folsom game is because with that game the sky is the limit. I think if you had a 16 to 18k seat venue you could fill it. All I'm saying is think outside the box.

Last edited:
While I'm thinking out side the box. Why not have the Folsom game at UC Davis? It holds around 12k fans and is as close to half way for both teams as you can get. Try and have it on Saturday so other high school kids could attend (if schedules don't conflict with Davis's). Sell it to Davis as an opportunity to have a 100+ kids from 2 of the top football programs not only in NorCal but in the country visit your school for free. you could easily pay for that East game. Just a thought.

While I'm thinking out side the box. Why not have the Folsom game at UC Davis? It holds around 12k fans and is as close to half way for both teams as you can get. Try and have it on Saturday so other high school kids could attend (if schedules don't conflict with Davis's). Sell it to Davis as an opportunity to have a 100+ kids from 2 of the top football programs not only in NorCal but in the country visit your school for free. you could easily pay for that East game. Just a thought.

Good idea but doubt Spartans would agree to that venue as a “home” game. DVC would be much closer to DLS and they have played home games there in the past. Clearly the DLS-Folsom games (both years) should be played at venues that are able to accommodate all the fans and gate $$ that matchups like this would attract. Win-win-win!

The DLS-Folsom game should be on ESPN regardless of where it is played. Both teams are loaded and the nation should see great NorCal football. I would hope DLS is considering moving the game to a venue that can accommodate the number of fans expected to attend.

Reactions: remc
Hum- can we not engage a Folsom angle here? Those threads get tiresome.

Ara- being SoCal, perhaps there’s little awareness as to the dela posters and their unfriendly barbs up here on NCP 08-12, the version before Streak. Talk about the hand that feeds you.
“Your players don’t work hard enough.” “Your coaches schedule preseason patsies; no wonder we blow you out.” “You publics have no discipline. We’re in the weight room January 2nd.” All the while never admitting the distinct and impactful advantages of open boundaries. Now the table is turned; East won in ‘16. Dela can’t travel in ‘18. That’s lame. That game could get done and I’ve done the travel and gate math and no one loses (no matter the contract clauses)...except on the scoreboard. About as disingenuous as saying our kids didn’t work hard enough.

As stated, the truth lies somewhere, and it’ll take a few rounds at Rocco’s before that veil is lifted.

Hum- can we not engage a Folsom angle here? Those threads get tiresome.

Ara- being SoCal, perhaps there’s little awareness as to the dela posters and their unfriendly barbs up here on NCP 08-12, the version before Streak. Talk about the hand that feeds you.
“Your players don’t work hard enough.” “Your coaches schedule preseason patsies; no wonder we blow you out.” “You publics have no discipline. We’re in the weight room January 2nd.” All the while never admitting the distinct and impactful advantages of open boundaries. Now the table is turned; East won in ‘16. Dela can’t travel in ‘18. That’s lame. That game could get done and I’ve done the travel and gate math and no one loses (no matter the contract clauses)...except on the scoreboard. About as disingenuous as saying our kids didn’t work hard enough.

As stated, the truth lies somewhere, and it’ll take a few rounds at Rocco’s before that veil is lifted.
I think it goes without saying that you hate dls. And you are right the truth somewhere out there. Much like watergate and who killed Kennedy, we may never get to the truth. My problem with the whole scoreboard angle is they lost by 2 pts I think to East in 16'. Last year they got there asses handed to them by BG. I know it's a home game but why not drop them. Years ago I remember them losing to DBP by 1 at home and then traveling to NJ and getting destroyed. I do agree the truth is in the bottle. By the way I'm not from SoCal. I'm from the worst coached D-3 school in NorCal.

Last edited:
Wrong. Quite a few times right here on ncp I’ve recognized the many accomplishments of Sparta. So the “you hate dLS” is bogus. Are some of its supporters here on NCP holier than thou? Without question. SoCal angle was for “ararar”. I’m very sorry about your ‘dogs.

You’re saying it was okay for dLS to drop the game?

Last edited:
Then you haven’t been paying attention. Quite a few times right here on ncp I’ve recognized the many accomplishments of Sparta. SoCal angle was for “ararar”. Read slowly.

You’re admitting it was okay for dLS to drop the game?
Read even slooooowwwwweeeeerrrrr. I'm not defending dls at all. You are defending East (East got screwed, dls can't afford it is lame, etc...). I don't like dls, but I don't hate them. I pull for them in the state game but that's about it. I am new to this board and haven't read all the posts here. I have read enough to know you hate dls with passion. I'm not saying it makes you a bad person. All I'm saying is there is nothing in that article that says either one of them dropped it.
you would have us believe that dls forgot they lost in 2016. Schedule for 2018. Then I don't know maybe someone reminded them they lost. And so they back out of 2018. I'm sorry I don't buy it. I doubt they would schedule a home home with a year in between.
I don't know what happened. But I don't pretend to know either.

It’d be nice to illustrate the relevance cited if one knew more about our town. But that’s nobody’s business here. I’ll go as far as saying The Movie’s opening clip states a hometown as Concord, when, in fact, it was not.

Not a hater. Rather, a staunch defender of people who are good in this world with unimpeachable integrity. Sounds like you’re getting a pleasant dose of the antithesis of that right now in your town. But I digress from any aforementioned psychoanalysis of my motives; an “A” for effort; D for content.

As far as the thread, for all intents and purposes, this is the first OOS game in 10 years that “didn’t happen” and the reason is “there must be a convention or something.”

....strike Stork’s last word. Not intended.

The thread is about the cancellation of the East-dLS game and the fact the Dela HC went on the record about how his school could not afford the trip.

I've read the thread. Thank you. Seems like you haven't.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWHS44
Ok that’s fair to call out the OP but to drag DLS through the mud seems over the top.If East was really going to pay for the trip and keep the gate then they are the one that couldn’t Book the flight not DLS. anyway seems much to do about nothing really

It's because some people can't stop beating a dead freakin' horse.

The greatest part about this thread is that Folsom is mentioned in half the posts.

Weird.

From Coach Alumbaugh

Posted 2 hours ago
We like having the schedule completed by our banquet in late January. Just less headaches if we can. The Folsom game took a lot of moving parts, but I'm very happy it got done. That is a game that absolutely should happen. I hate the fact that the NorCal Open game isn't around anymore- those were fun games, and good for the kids and high school football fans.

East falling through was brutal, but 100% no fault of either side. Those games are priced out by travel agents to a tee months in advance, but you often can't secure 90+ tickets until 4,5,6 months out. Both sides even tried to get the game in Concord, but the logistics became infeasible. That being said- I'm very hopeful and confident we will play them in the very near future.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan

If that quote is indeed from the head coach, it seems this post was inaccurate! Accuracy is just a phone call away!

If that quote is indeed from the head coach, it seems this post was inaccurate! Accuracy is just a phone call away!
I can assure you it’s from coach .National site has Q&A almost every week with coaches from around the country Alumbaugh being the latest.This was his response when asked about the East game

The horse is dead, you can stop beating it. Travel is still just an excuse, no matter how times the DLS folks repeat the same BS, nor your desire to be right.

Is DLS is above taking a bus?

But now we know why such a high percentage of all high school travel games are cancelled. It happens all the time in college football too. It's the airlines and hotels refusing to book in advance, then raising prices on group travel at the last minute! If only there was a way to avoid this un-avoidable, inescapable reality of airlines discriminating against large groups of people.

How many games are cancelled for this reason? Can we name some others? Or is the DLS-East game the unicorn that needs a convenient narrative?

Jeesh, can you stop acting like a teenage girl fighting over who's turn it is to use the bathroom? For F's sake already.

Regardless of whether or not an airline would have booked that far in advance, they clearly weren't ready to make the purchase 11 months in advance, or whenever you think they should have etched this in stone. Have you completely overlooked the fact that it was EAST that as going to pay for the travel? Have you forgotten that East is a PUBLIC school? Have you considered the fact that maybe they were the ones asking DLS to hold off on booking until they could secure the funds?

Hell, this is a high school team. Could they really even be certain of who would actually make that trip 11 months out? Students transfer. Coaches leave. 11 months is a pretty big commitment for a family to make, much less 60+ families, wouldn't you say?

It's like you think that everyone involved should have rotated their lives around this one freakin' football game. Maybe you don't have anything to do with your life except for bitching in a forum like this, but you can't expect everyone to be as "dedicated" as you.

By the way, it's Suzie's turn in the bathroom. You'll just have to wait.

Last edited:
Great post, Cal14. Dude is off the reservation with this DLS conspiracy theory. Good lawd! On a similar note, Coach A. also addresses the B-S claim by some that DLS is collecting the gate on both games.

No need to be so sensitive, and please up your trash-talking game. Pretty weak calling me a girl. Everyone who does not drink the green koolaid has to believe in conspiracies? Or is it just common practice to name-call whenever someone does not agree?

I apologize for using facts when your feelings are a perfectly good substitute. Not that it matters, but group booking for airlines and hotels are NOT tied to a single person. From AA.com:

Group Block fares
Available for groups of 10 or more traveling to and from the same place.
  • Can be booked up to 11 months in advance to American Airlines and oneworld® destinations
  • 1 free name change per ticket up to 48 hours before to departure
  • No minimum stay required
And again, I apologize for using common sense. Otherwise, I would question why it matters who pays for the travel when they have this bizarre concept called REIMBURSEMENT. And I don't expect an answer, but let's put aside the questions about why DLS could not take a bus, and why we do not see more games cancelled due to travel reasons. Again, I apologize for not accepting the excuse at face-value and pointing out the fallacies of the argument.

Airlines raise ticket prices without warning.
DLS travels.
Airlines raised ticket prices for DLS.

You are in a safe space.

Reactions: DelValleTrojan
deLa was graced by the Paragon/ESPN/Nike cash funneled for previous OOS trips. Once those funds gravitate to more marquee games, there’s little incentive to travel to face a program which won’t vault them into the (overhyped) MNC conversation coveted by several.

@191- But Cal14 states it is now FACT East was responsible for ‘18 travel costs. Explain that after 189 posts and weeks of conjecture this revelation now surfaces. Has he access to the contract or has inside info from the dLS athletic department?

As far as “60+ families” planning OOS games “11 months out” or “knowing your roster or coaches”, c’mon C14, it’s not any HS, it’s dela.

Last edited:
I can't make up my mind on how I feel about this situation. I need someone to call more airlines and travel agents, and report back with additional information.

.....and please check whether or not meals are included or.....
My favorite, the 9.5 nuts/pack treat and 16 ounces of bulbous ice generously dampened with 2 ounces of coke for which I obediantly wait with my new found seat mate like a dog waiting for his treat while sitting at a crosswalk with his trainer/master.....

On second thought Coach, cancel my flight plans too.

Last edited:
Envy shipping out for six weeks?! Couldn’t have edited the thread title to reflect the truth before casting off? Gives new meaning to trolling. LOL

True that ridge. Goofy.
I didn’t edit this tread and won’t for a reason. I know what happened. Im not saying East is at fault. I did and do apologize for saying it was there fault. Both teams really wanted to play, they just couldn’t make it work. I can’t change your HATE for DLS. Nor would I want to because it is so interesting to see things through the eyes of someone who HATEs DLS so much. The title is what it is.

I look forward to when these two programs will face off again. I was at the game and I was glad I made the trip from sac. I knew nothing about East heading into that game. I quickly learned however as did dls that East was extremely physical with everyone bringing there hard hats, including the fans who cheered relentlessly. I believe dls was stunned at first because East took a play out of there playbook-dominate the line of scrimmage and be more physical then your opponent.as the game went on, dls made some adjustments, some big plays, and started to get more physical in the second half which allowed them to take the lead late in the forth. East responded with a big run and a field goal which gave them the lead again. Dls who controlled the game much better in the second half ran out of time. I wish that game had 15 minute quarters instead of 12. Such a good game!! Like many I'm disappointed that the game was cancelled this year. I really don't care why or who is to blame. I just look forward to the rematch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT