ADVERTISEMENT

Emmanuel Callas (Campolindo) will play at Choate next year

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
The 2021 prospect was one of the top players in the region during the spring season.

Interesting. Never heard of Choate till I saw that tweet earlier, so I took a look around...

Choate is a fancy, super-high academic prep school in Connecticut that's been around since the 1890's. Has many graduates that went far in many walks of life, from a couple of Kennedys to Jamie Lee Curtis to playwright Alan Jay Lerner to actor Michael Douglas and many more.

I guess they must have a post-grad hoops team unless Callas was able to reclassify as 2022 somehow...

A bit strange. He’s only 6”4 too. Maybe 6”5 on a good day but I love his game as a high d2 player:.
He graduated in 2021 right?

Reactions: PatCarrillo
A bit strange. He’s only 6”4 too. Maybe 6”5 on a good day but I love his game as a high d2 player:.
He graduated in 2021 right?
Somewhere between 6-4 and 6-6, dunno...

As to your other question, I was there on Senior Night, so yeah. I also saw somewhere else that his GPA was 4.3.

This is a notice to parents. If your son is not 6'7 and above DO NOT let their high school coach put them in the post. Force them to play your son at guard if you want to play D1 basketball.

This is a notice to parents. If your son is not 6'7 and above DO NOT let their high school coach put them in the post. Force them to play your son at guard if you want to play D1 basketball.
That’s ridiculous, the g league is stacked with 6’5 to 6’7 centers or power forwards. Guys that are extremely talented, but lack that 6’8 and above size. You’re telling me there are no 6’6 bigs at the division 1 level?! And a 6’6 kid that has post moves but can’t pass or dribble should be breaking the press lol. You got a bit excited with that comment.

I won't go so far as to say make your high school coach play you at a certain position
He played where he could best help his team win and be successful But he never played much at all on the perimeter at the high school level which may have hindered his overall recruitment. At his size he is definitely not a
Post player at the division 1 or 2 level so a year of prep school to work on skill set is not bad at all wishing the young man all the best!

That’s ridiculous, the g league is stacked with 6’5 to 6’7 centers or power forwards. Guys that are extremely talented, but lack that 6’8 and above size. You’re telling me there are no 6’6 bigs at the division 1 level?! And a 6’6 kid that has post moves but can’t pass or dribble should be breaking the press lol. You got a bit excited with that comment.
Agree. Riordan had 3 players under 6-6 play forward for D1 programs - Jaha Wilson @ USC; Dwayne Fontana @ ASU and Rob Jones @ USD/SMC. All 3 had very good college careers.

Ok, and the reason they are in the G is because they are 6'5 or 6'7 centers or power forwards. Yes, 6'6 bigs play in D1. But 6'6 guards play at UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. 6'6 bigs play at Santa Clara, St. Peters and Binghampton. Even the beloved Gonzaga and St. Marys do not roll 6'6 post players out there. Furthermore, he is not 6'6 even in sneakers. He played the spot for the team he was asked and that is not an issue. However without the ball skills needed to play D1 he is going to prep school. So yes parents should be aware of position placement.

I won't go so far as to say make your high school coach play you at a certain position
He played where he could best help his team win and be successful But he never played much at all on the perimeter at the high school level which may have hindered his overall recruitment. At his size he is definitely not a
Post player at the division 1 or 2 level so a year of prep school to work on skill set is not bad at all wishing the young man all the best!
thanks for saying it another way

Choate is the school Tariq St. Patrick went to in the Starz fictional drama Power...One of the long standing prep schools in the Northeast. A lot of well known influential people have attended this place....Good luck to him. Callas.

Considering what his GPA at Campo was, I would think Callas' decision to go to this prep school is almost purely athletic and that basketball is more of a sidelight or hobby at this point.

Of course, he could still eventually get a scholarship if he plays well at Choate.

Considering what his GPA at Campo was, I would think Callas' decision to go to this prep school is almost purely athletic and that basketball is more of a sidelight or hobby at this point.

Of course, he could still eventually get a scholarship if he plays well at Choate.
i am sure he had some offers somewhere to play. he might just want better. nothing wrong with betting on yourself. he is a decent talent, hard worker, and smart. Came from a winning program so someone had to offer him. But again if you think you are better it is a good call to go prove it. DVC and CCSF will always take him if not.

Maybe so, Ankle... but I'm guessing he's more interested in getting a true top-flight education. Total speculation, tho...

Maybe so, Ankle... but I'm guessing he's more interested in getting a true top-flight education. Total speculation, tho...
Matt Benson 6'5' kid afrom Chico High also went to Chote after graduating H.S.
Scoring forward.
Smart kid. He did go strictly for hoops. Played at point Loma and UC Riverside.

I get the size analogy. But callas was never going to be a big time d1 player.
But I would love to have him on my team.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT