ADVERTISEMENT

Final Southridge 56 Mitty 50 in OT

becoolpt55

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
SR could not even dribble and they beat AM...
Sue terrible coaching down the stretch...deer in the headlights

To many turn overs down the stretch. They were forced into s half court game and they turned it over. Missed free throws hurt them at the end of regulation. Not sure Southridge was the better team. Tough loss, but no time to get down another tough one tomorrow .

Reactions: OnBall8
I’d like to hear an actual basketball mind and their take on the game. Not a washed up creep of a “trainer”
Are you saying I should not refer players to becool training? Shots fired man!

HJ has to be smarter about the fouls she commits. And they could have won easily with some made free throws. Too bad, they should have won that one.

I missed the second half but could tell it was gonna be close. I'm not sure but guessing Brink was a problem. She's not easy for Haley Jones to have to contend with and then also dominate on the offensive side of the ball. And Brink was making her foul shots in the first half, so probably made them in the second half, and down the stretch. I was unaware Mitty had some transfers. Good for them. As it looked like they had Haley Jones doing a lot of heavy lifting. At least on the offensive side of the ball in the first half during the bits and pieces of the first half I saw. I thought Mitty's team defense looked good in the first half. I'll need to watch the second half and really the whole game to really comment about it. Hopefully Mitty can go 3-0 the rest of the way and come home 3-1 with 3rd place. Unless there is still a way they can win the tournament. If Salesian or Windward can upset St. John's who I'm guessing won today then they might have a shot too. That is if Windward won today.

Last edited:
I'm not a basketball mind like Clay, but I did see the 4th quarter and overtime. as someone said before, Mitty looked uninspired and yes, they were up by 4 with 40-50 seconds on the clock. I HATE Arizona rules where there's no shot clock, but Mitty didn't take advantage of that. twice Mitty drove to the bucket instead of just dribbling out the clock and made a couple bad passes when trying to push the ball.

It's not like SR was playing with urgency at the end of the game either...it's a bummer how the game ended (missed a couple FT with 5-6 second left). Overtime they couldn't get anything going. total bummer because they were clearly the better team

Last edited:
I'm not a basketball mind like Clay, but I did see the 4th quarter and overtime. as someone said before, Mitty looked uninspired and yes, they were up by 4 with 40-50 seconds on the clock. I HATE Arizona rules where there's no shot clock, but Mitty didn't take advantage of that. twice Jones drove to the bucket instead of just dribbling out the clock and made a couple bad passes when trying to push the ball.

It's not like SR was playing with urgency at the end of the game either...it's a bummer how the game ended (missed a couple FT with 5-6 second left). I hate when people say that but it's true. Overtime they couldn't get anything going. total bummer

I just watched the second half and the overtime. No doubt South ridge making about 10 of their last 11 foul shots in regulation and overtime while Mitty struggled from the line in such a tight game was the difference. Also I thought Southridge had a deeper squad in terms of impact players who stood out in the game. I'm sure I may have missed Mitty's impact player(s) other than Haley Jones ( because several other players played well and all of Mitty's players played hard) but Haley had to shoulder a large load on both ends the floor which probably wore her down and affected her foul shooting. Too bad because she played her heart out. Both teams played to win and left it all out on the court. The size of South ridge was also a factor that was hard for Mitty to over come. That size forced a high number of minutes for Haley on the floor which added to the stress for the All American. Cameron Brink didn't have to play as many minutes because South ridge had good size and good depth. I'm sure the luxury of rest helped. And I believe many of the South ridge players have been playing with one another since about middle school and that helps chemistry wise. I'm sure Mitty won't be the same team once they hit their stride and mid-season form. Good hard fought game. Congratulations south ridge !

Last edited:
Hopefully Mitty can go 3-0 the rest of the way and come home 3-1 with 3rd place. Unless there is still a way they can win the tournament. If Salesian or Windward can upset St. John's who I'm guessing won today then they might have a shot too. That is if Windward won today.
Nike is not double elimination. In fact if you lose your first game you go into the losers bracket and the best you can do- even if you win your last three games is 9th place.

Reactions: Paytc
Nike is not double elimination. In fact if you lose your first game you go into the losers bracket and the best you can do- even if you win your last three games is 9th place.

Willtalk,

I was aware teams don't want to lose their first game because they fall into the loser bracket. But for some reason I thought there was still a slight chance depending on other teams winning or losing that could help a first loss team rebound at least higher than 9th place. I've seen it happen in a few AAU Tournaments. I guess they were "Double elimination" Tournaments. Thanks for the clarification.

At one level, sometimes the "better" team loses; but at another level, the scoreboard doesn't lie. Brink was in foul trouble the entire game, and both she and another starter (Hoff) fouled out, and Mitty still couldn't make enough plays to win. Of course, if they played again tomorrow it could be a different outcome, but part of the game is making free throws and Meek, the Southridge point guard, made all of hers, including two to tie at the end of regulation and four more in OT. You can say it was bad luck or whatever that Jones missed four FTs late, but that's part of the game.

At one level, sometimes the "better" team loses; but at another level, the scoreboard doesn't lie. Brink was in foul trouble the entire game, and both she and another starter (Hoff) fouled out, and Mitty still couldn't make enough plays to win. Of course, if they played again tomorrow it could be a different outcome, but part of the game is making free throws and Meek, the Southridge point guard, made all of hers, including two to tie at the end of regulation and four more in OT. You can say it was bad luck or whatever that Jones missed four FTs late, but that's part of the game.

Because they ( South ridge) had the deeper team. And the team with an advantage of playing together a bit longer than Haley Jones and her new cast have been playing together. If Haley has any one of her last season teammates playing with her most likely Mitty wins the game. Just like coaching, team chemistry, matters. And it takes time to build trust with teammates and for the coach to have greater trust in a greater number of players.

But obviously fundamentals always matter in a tough closely fought game. A game that comes down to one or two big last seconds. Each critical possession counts. When one team is hitting most of their foul shots and the other team isn't odds favor the one hitting them. But even with that there was a rebound late in the game where Haley could have caught the ball in the air and put it back up for the score that she instead decided to come down to the ground with, and I think she was stripped of the ball on the play. Mitty makes one more play or has one more playmaker and we have a different outcome. Mitty will be better by mid season. Especially if they have a couple good transfers coming. Because just effort and desire alone they battle and always come prepared to play hard. South ridge just made the critical shots down the stretch and Mitty unfortunately for them did not this time.

South ridge played hard and they earned the victory. Congratulations to them !

Last edited:
Because they ( South ridge) had the deeper team. And the team with an advantage of playing together a bit longer than Haley Jones and her new cast have been playing together. If Haley has any one of her last season teammates playing with her most likely Mitty wins the game. Just like coaching, team chemistry, matters. And it takes time to build trust with teammates and for the coach to have greater trust in a greater number of players.

But obviously fundamentals always matter in a tough closely fought game. A game that comes down to one or two big last seconds. Each critical possession counts. When one team is hitting most of their foul shots and the other team isn't odds favor the one hitting them. But even with that there was a rebound late in the game where Haley could have caught the ball in the air and put it back up for the score that she instead decided to come down to the ground with, and I think she was stripped of the ball on the play. Mitty makes one more play or has one more playmaker and we have a different outcome. Mitty will be better by mid season. Especially if they have a couple good transfers coming. Because just effort and desire alone they battle and always come prepared to play hard. South ridge just made the critical shots down the stretch and Mitty unfortunately for them did not this time.

South ridge played hard and they earned the victory. Congratulations to them !

Mitty really misses the floor leader, Ortiz, they had for the last three years. Someone who controlled the flow of the game and was a true extension of the head coach on the floor. As great as Jones is and will be, she will have a tough time in games against quality opponents playing the role of true point guard and main focal point of the Mitty offense. In the past three years Mitty had several players that could be big offensive producers or big time defensive stoppers, not sure if this group will have that same ability at this stage of the season or if when the transfers become eligible all may change???

Reactions: Paytc
Mitty plays together year-round as only Jones plays on another club team -- and even she played with them some of the time.

Very few high school teams play together as much as Mitty.

Mitty really misses the floor leader, Ortiz, they had for the last three years. Someone who controlled the flow of the game and was a true extension of the head coach on the floor. As great as Jones is and will be, she will have a tough time in games against quality opponents playing the role of true point guard and main focal point of the Mitty offense. In the past three years Mitty had several players that could be big offensive producers or big time defensive stoppers, not sure if this group will have that same ability at this stage of the season or if when the transfers become eligible all may change???

Sjbasket,

Excellent points !

Haley and Oritz are different players no doubt. And Ortiz basketball IQ I don't think was fully appreciated. However if Ortiz was there in place of Haley I don't think the results would have been different. Haley with Ortiz and South ridge has a bit of trouble on their hands. But Haley Jones is totally smart and skilled enough to run the point just about well as Ortiz. But they both need other players making a few more plays. If Haley even had the 5'3 three point shooting ace Miyahara from last season things would have been different. This group of Mitty players just haven't gelled. And don't have the trust, chemistry, and awareness that is almost instinctual between players that already have a good team chemistry. South ridge has better team chemistry at this stage in the season. And the ball bounced in their favor this time.

Mitty plays together year-round as only Jones plays on another club team -- and even she played with them some of the time.

Very few high school teams play together as much as Mitty.

Clay that may be true.

But Not having Haley Jones in the mix playing AAU and this year in high school with most of these new players stepping up playing major roles they didn't play last season has a huge impact. And that won't get corrected until they get into mid season chemistry. Sure they will still beat teams that don't match up well with them. But most of the teams in the highest level at the Nike TOC will matchup well with them except for maybe Sacramento high. So they will have to be clicking better than they did in the 2nd half and over time yesterday to pull out good wins at the TOC.

I said Southridge has several players that have been playing together since perhaps middle school. Actually I think a few of them may have been playing together even longer than that. I think it is fair to say Southridge displayed more depth and better chemistry than Mitty in this game. Whether that was due to lack of playing time together or not to some may be questionable, to others not so much.

Funny how the comments on here are being very critical of Mitty's supporting cast and their cheminstry, Haley Jones having to run point guard too much, Haley Jones being smarter about committing unnecessary fouls, terrible coaching down the stretch. I am wondering if the comments would have been totally opposite if they won this game. In which it sounds like they really should have won. Up by 4 with under a minute left. Haley Jones missed 2 free throws with 5 seconds left? I didn't watch the game. But I don't think anyone on this thread would predict Haley would miss 2 free throws and 4 free throws late. I'm not saying the critical comments aren't deserved of Mitty. But just a comment that if they win that game with a free throw by Haley, would the comments be totally opposite and praising Mitty for pulling out that win against a very good Southridge team. Guess we will see how they do in their next 3 games, but I am guessing they will be fine.

AM seems to be missing some players too. Something may have happened. Only had 4 subs on bench compared to 7 yesterday.

I have said it for a while now, but Mitty will miss Ortiz in a big way. Just like Pinewood will miss Claros. They will still be top teams in California, but not nearly as strong as last year due to losing those two team leaders and PGs. Mitty's transfers will not take them over the top. They are good players, but still only sophomores and only one has truly been tested.

The difference between Mitty and the rest of the high school teams is their strength and conditioning. You watch them against anyone and every girl looks like she is running up and down the court effortlessly. Mitty wins by causing turnovers on their press and making easy layups. If you can get them into a half court game, they're in trouble.

Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT