ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom dls sjb md

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfoyosoul

Superstar
Aug 21, 2015
I have been reading several posts around dls folsom and just wanted to share a few thoughts....and then add in MD and sjb to discussion

While I am a folsom fan, i live in folsom, and follow the team religiously and i am not always a big fan of the nor cal media always pushing the dls mantra (i grew up in east bay) ..i will say to those who believe that folsom should be ranked higher than dls need to consider the head to head match up...now i believe could have and should have won the game and i will pick them in a rematch...they blew it with turnovers, they were not mentally prepared and got down when they were behind...they still lost so folsom cannot be ranked higher as much as i wish...now if dls had lost to bg or does end up losing to buchannan or another team or if dls has a several close games but folsom still dominates then it is possible folsom should jump them..but not right now

Now as far as md and sjb...i read coach of chaminade was asked who was better as far as folsom and sjb and he said he would pick the home team to win because it could be either or...

With that in mind...do we think md really is far and away the best team (especially if they beat img next week) and then put dls sjb and folsom at a level below that or is it possible these 4 teams are close to the same level? I would lean toward md clear #1..and for those who say folsom is not same as dls...bologne...folsom played just as well as dls had 6 turnovers ..should had a 7 - 0 lead but refs blew it and still only lost 14-0 in concord..so those two teams are same level

If folsom and dls run table i hope cif looks at it and says we have another 2014 on our hands and folsom has to play some weak opponent in div 1aa and crushes them again..and they finally change playoffs

I have been reading several posts around dls folsom and just wanted to share a few thoughts....and then add in MD and sjb to discussion

While I am a folsom fan, i live in folsom, and follow the team religiously and i am not always a big fan of the nor cal media always pushing the dls mantra (i grew up in east bay) ..i will say to those who believe that folsom should be ranked higher than dls need to consider the head to head match up...now i believe could have and should have won the game and i will pick them in a rematch...they blew it with turnovers, they were not mentally prepared and got down when they were behind...they still lost so folsom cannot be ranked higher as much as i wish...now if dls had lost to bg or does end up losing to buchannan or another team or if dls has a several close games but folsom still dominates then it is possible folsom should jump them..but not right now

Now as far as md and sjb...i read coach of chaminade was asked who was better as far as folsom and sjb and he said he would pick the home team to win because it could be either or...

With that in mind...do we think md really is far and away the best team (especially if they beat img next week) and then put dls sjb and folsom at a level below that or is it possible these 4 teams are close to the same level? I would lean toward md clear #1..and for those who say folsom is not same as dls...bologne...folsom played just as well as dls had 6 turnovers ..should had a 7 - 0 lead but refs blew it and still only lost 14-0 in concord..so those two teams are same level

If folsom and dls run table i hope cif looks at it and says we have another 2014 on our hands and folsom has to play some weak opponent in div 1aa and crushes them again..and they finally change playoffs

Actually, Folsom struggled with Helix last year....

Folsom's schedule next year should have (2) of the following teams on it. Mission Viejo, Cen10 or Oaks Christian. This should be their next step in scheduling if they EXPECT fans, parents, players, coaches and the like to consider them as an elite State power. At this point, I believe they're moving in the right direction by challenging themselves against top teams in Cali. But I'm also hoping they don't regress to the way they use to schedule opponents. I would like to see Folsom preseason schedule look similar to this one.

Week 0_ Pittsburg
Week 1_ Oaks Christian NOT an Antelope type program
Week 2_ Bingham, UT NOT a Jesuit type program
Week 3_ Mission Viejo

*Cen10 and Chandler, AZ are viable options as well.

Reactions: THEOC89

Interesting musings... I'm not sure what you were referring to in your last sentence, but if it to advocate a true playoff system in CIF, I totally agree.

He also said SJB can only be compared to a handful of schools in the whole country and they have superior depth which would be the difference.Could Folsom beat SJB? Sure upsets happen

Folsom's schedule next year should have (2) of the following teams on it. Mission Viejo, Cen10 or Oaks Christian. This should be their next step in scheduling if they EXPECT fans, parents, players, coaches and the like to consider them as an elite State power. At this point, I believe they're moving in the right direction by challenging themselves against top teams in Cali. But I'm also hoping they don't regress to the way they use to schedule opponents. I would like to see Folsom preseason schedule look similar to this one.

Week 0_ Pittsburg
Week 3_ Mission Viejo

Folsom's success has matured enough to push for a stronger SOS. Scheduling, though, is more of strategic exercise than a simple effort of improving SOS. I was sincerely surprised by the DSL/Folsom game. It carried huge ramifications for the top Bowl bids. Scheduling southern CIF section teams (CS, LAS, SS or SDS) and out-of-state powerhouses make much more sense for Bowl implications.

If CIF moved to a true playoff system, the scheduling strategy changes significantly. A Week 0 match up of DLS/Folsom or Pittsburg/CVC game probably would be replayed in a state playoff system.

Week 0_ Pittsburg
Week 3_ Mission Viejo

Curious, why “should” Folsom care what anyone says about their schedule? Their schedule this year left them in a position to advance to the State Open game, they missed their chance...so be it.

You recognize that sort of schedule is a heavy travel cost, especially for a Public School.

But Let’s assume for a moment that Folsom had beat Oaks Christian, instead of Chaminade this year? How would that effect their position for the State Bowl Game this year? I’d say it wouldn’t change a thing...no way they Jump DLS having lost to them Head to Head. D!S could have lost to BG Friday night, doesnt matter ....DLS goes to Open.

If they didn’t have DLS in their schedule, I’d agree they’d need to step it up (if they want to be considered for the Open bid)’ but as long as they face DLS during the season, they really don’t NEED to do anything (except try to find a way to beat the Spartans).

You could argue adding quality teams would help prepare Folsom for big games, and I concur to a point. But the only game Folsom needed to prepare for this year was Game 1.

Week 0_ Pittsburg
Week 3_ Mission Viejo

They won’t! Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to get out of the DLS rematch.

Last edited:
Curious, why “should” Folsom care what anyone says about their schedule? Their schedule this year left them in a position to advance to the State Open game, they missed their chance...so be it.

You recognize that sort of schedule is a heavy travel cost, especially for a Public School.

But Let’s assume for a moment that Folsom had beat Oaks Christian, instead of Chaminade this year? How would that effect their position for the State Bowl Game this year? I’d say it wouldn’t change a thing...no way they Jump DLS having lost to them Head to Head. D!S could have lost to BG Friday night, doesnt matter ....DLS goes to Open.

If they didn’t have DLS in their schedule, I’d agree they’d need to step it up (if they want to be considered for the Open bid)’ but as long as they face DLS during the season, they really don’t NEED to do anything (except try to find a way to beat the Spartans).

You could argue adding quality teams would help prepare Folsom for big games, and I concur to a point. But the only game Folsom needed to prepare for this year was Game 1.
I get your slant on this but my point wasn't about the Open or State bowl games. My point is mainly about respect for NorCal football vs SoCal football. A lot of Folsom fans come on this site sticking their chest out about how great Folsom is. If Folsom is that great the only way they'll get elite type respect is to play the teams I mentioned. Scheduling and losing to DLS is one thing but competing against other top rated Cali teams and other top state programs year in and year out gives the Folsom fans the respect their seeking from others. Folsom poster "Cashisking18" and others praise Folsom as one of the top programs in the nation. Will if the Folsom fans feel they're team is on that level than they need to play teams on that same level. Once again, this is not about DLS and Folsom but it's about Folsom scheduling teams that are known powers in Cali and other states. Money isn't a problem for a school like Folsom when it comes to traveling 6 hours opposed to 1 or 2 hours. As the great legendary Bill Walsh said in a clinic once, "excuses are for whiners not winners". Folsom doesn't need any built-in excuses when it comes to competing against programs on their level of play. As a long time coach myself, I've never been about excuses and never will. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Folsom's success has matured enough to push for a stronger SOS. Scheduling, though, is more of strategic exercise than a simple effort of improving SOS. I was sincerely surprised by the DSL/Folsom game. It carried huge ramifications for the top Bowl bids. Scheduling southern CIF section teams (CS, LAS, SS or SDS) and out-of-state powerhouses make much more sense for Bowl implications.

If CIF moved to a true playoff system, the scheduling strategy changes significantly. A Week 0 match up of DLS/Folsom or Pittsburg/CVC game probably would be replayed in a state playoff system.
+1

Welcome to the Board, I am a long time follower too who just recently started posting!

Your post brings up some good points! I have followed this stuff for a long time and think I can shed some insight!

1. The media pushing the DLS Mantra- I am not sure what exactly this is, but if you are referring to them being ranked #1 in Nor Cal my guess is it is because they have not lost to a nor cal team in a very long time. This year I would imagine they are #1 unless they lose 2 games since they beat the #2 Folsom team on the field and they have beaten a traditional national power on the field in an exciting game. Both of these Powerhouse teams will dominate the rest of their competition.

2.Folsom's loss to DLS- DLS won 14-0 on the field so I am not sure how this could be disputed or debated by any anyone, and I am sure the CIF doesn't see this any other way.

3.Why they wont meet in the playoffs- I am not sure how long you have followed Folsom, but I am happy to explain why they don't meet in the playoffs. After the 2013 season DLS had beaten Folsom 2 times in the "Open Bowl Paly in Game". The CIF decided that the 2nd best team in Nor Cal should not be shut out of a game because of DLS, so they said as long as DLS wins their NCS open bracket they go to the open. This is also commonly referred to as the "Folsom Rule", because apparently their were complaints from Folsom to the CIF that it wasn't fair for schools to have to play DLS. It was reported in a local Folsom paper, but that hearsay is all irrelevant, the issue is the 2 teams wont play because of the CIF's rule.

4.CIF Decision to Chose Open Rep- This will be a very easy decision for the CIF as compared to 2014 where you had 2 undefeated teams. This year they actually have an on field result. So in their eyes, DLS could win every game by 1 point and they go to the open. I don't believe they take into account margin of victory.

5.VS MD and SJB- Who knows? its too bad it wont happen this year. I will never understand why St.Marys from the SJS played MD instead of Folsom. I don't know how any of that works but it seems like that should have been changed. They were no challenge for MD and Chaminade was no challenge for Folsom. Those games should have been re arranged! Unfortunately teams have contracts and the fans don't make the schedule!...:)

Hopefully both teams will win out! They will each have their hands full in the playoffs! But it will be 2 great reps for Nor Cal for sure in the Bowl games!

Welcome to the Board, I am a long time follower too who just recently started posting!

Your post brings up some good points! I have followed this stuff for a long time and think I can shed some insight!

1. The media pushing the DLS Mantra- I am not sure what exactly this is, but if you are referring to them being ranked #1 in Nor Cal my guess is it is because they have not lost to a nor cal team in a very long time. This year I would imagine they are #1 unless they lose 2 games since they beat the #2 Folsom team on the field and they have beaten a traditional national power on the field in an exciting game. Both of these Powerhouse teams will dominate the rest of their competition.

2.Folsom's loss to DLS- DLS won 14-0 on the field so I am not sure how this could be disputed or debated by any anyone, and I am sure the CIF doesn't see this any other way.

3.Why they wont meet in the playoffs- I am not sure how long you have followed Folsom, but I am happy to explain why they don't meet in the playoffs. After the 2013 season DLS had beaten Folsom 2 times in the "Open Bowl Paly in Game". The CIF decided that the 2nd best team in Nor Cal should not be shut out of a game because of DLS, so they said as long as DLS wins their NCS open bracket they go to the open. This is also commonly referred to as the "Folsom Rule", because apparently their were complaints from Folsom to the CIF that it wasn't fair for schools to have to play DLS. It was reported in a local Folsom paper, but that hearsay is all irrelevant, the issue is the 2 teams wont play because of the CIF's rule.

4.CIF Decision to Chose Open Rep- This will be a very easy decision for the CIF as compared to 2014 where you had 2 undefeated teams. This year they actually have an on field result. So in their eyes, DLS could win every game by 1 point and they go to the open. I don't believe they take into account margin of victory.

5.VS MD and SJB- Who knows? its too bad it wont happen this year. I will never understand why St.Marys from the SJS played MD instead of Folsom. I don't know how any of that works but it seems like that should have been changed. They were no challenge for MD and Chaminade was no challenge for Folsom. Those games should have been re arranged! Unfortunately teams have contracts and the fans don't make the schedule!...:)

Hopefully both teams will win out! They will each have their hands full in the playoffs! But it will be 2 great reps for Nor Cal for sure in the Bowl games!
A well-articulated post. Hope you post more frequently.

They won’t! Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to get out of the DLS rematch.
I agree with you. Wouldn't be shocked at all...

Try to be at least a little fair. If you're gonna make a statement like this, at least provide some sound reasoning as to why.

Does Folsom have a track history of backing out of 2-year deals?

Those that previously criticized Folsom's unwillingness to schedule out-of-section heavies or for leaving starters in during blowouts and running up the score at least had some examples to cite.

Unless you can demonstrate a pattern of behavior, this just seems to me to be a bunch of hater nonsense.

Try to be at least a little fair. If you're gonna make a statement like this, at least provide some sound reasoning as to why.

Does Folsom have a track history of backing out of 2-year deals?

Those that previously criticized Folsom's unwillingness to schedule out-of-section heavies or for leaving starters in during blowouts and running up the score at least had some examples to cite.

Unless you can demonstrate a pattern of behavior, this just seems to me to be a bunch of hater nonsense.
It’s an educated guess based on a few things,

The recent past record of scheduling games ie. Antelope, Pleasent Grove, Sac, Jesuit etc.

Fairly or not it is called the FOLSOM RULE for a reason. The NorCal championship would still be played if not for Folsom.

Lastly I believe they smelled blood this year, rightly so I might add, having basically the whole team back and knowing Dls is always vulnerable early in the season, especially with 15yr old kid at QB they knew this was there moment! So even if they lost the 2nd game they could say “we split with Dls” but now losing and being 0-3 against them with almost a guarantee of being 0-4 against the green machine, this is something I don’t think is bearable to that program. I hope I am wrong by the way and root for them against SoCal teams.

The recent past record of scheduling games ie. Antelope, Pleasent Grove, Sac, Jesuit etc.

Fairly or not it is called the FOLSOM RULE for a reason. The NorCal championship would still be played if not for Folsom.

Lastly I believe they smelled blood this year, rightly so I might add, having basically the whole team back and knowing Dls is always vulnerable early in the season, especially with 15yr old kid at QB they knew this was there moment! So even if they lost the 2nd game they could say “we split with Dls” but now losing and being 0-3 against them with almost a guarantee of being 0-4 against the green machine, this is something I don’t think is bearable to that program. I hope I am wrong by the way and root for them against SoCal teams.
Thunder suggestion on this made sense to me. Your response is very realistic to me as well. Just sayin.....

Reactions: 131Pressman
I would be shocked if Folsom backed out of the deal. One, it is at home game that should draw a pretty good crowd. Second, Folsom likely starts next year as No. 2 and are trying to gain more recognition on the state and national level. You don't do that by backing out of deals.

As stated, Folsom has some history of scheduling lower than their talent level, but I don't know of any history of breaking off game deals

Thunder suggestion on this made sense to me. Your response is very realistic to me as well. Just sayin.....

They most likely won’t schedule any harder moving forward he knew this team was gonna be special 2 years ago when the younger Ngata is gone he will schedule other non athletic teams cause he doesn’t know where his next batch of players will come from that’s why I hoped he played all the good teams this year like Mater Dei or sjb or out of state. Our 2nd best team shouldn’t be playing so cals 10th or even 5th best team it just doesn’t look right. I know at grant we play the best when we know we have a special team. Folsom has the sec like scheduling why play against the best when we could play for a d1 stars title and call it the state title

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but what does the above have to do with your educated guess that Folsom will break a 2-yr commitment? If your argument is that they won't schedule up beyond the deal they have with DLS -- then those examples would be relevant. But they don't apply to what you're "guessing" might happen.

Again, what does the above have to do with breaking 2-yr agreements? Help me to see the connection.

Lastly I believe they smelled blood this year, rightly so I might add, having basically the whole team back and knowing Dls is always vulnerable early in the season, especially with 15yr old kid at QB they knew this was there moment!

I don't think anybody would argue against the idea that Folsom was willing to schedule up this season because they felt they had a tremendous team returning. I don't think they had any idea, however, who the Spartans starting QB would be when they scheduled the game ---- not that it really matters.

BTW, Folsom is likely to return a pretty good team next season too, ya know? Daniyel Ngata and Elijhah Badger -- who some feel might end up near as good as Joe Ngata -- are both returning among a few others. They just might be able to threaten DLS again. Who knows.

Like @Streak One, I'd be surprised if Folsom breaks off that deal all things considered. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but there's really no evidence to justify believing in that right now. Which was the point all along.

If Folsom does break that deal then they'd certainly be setting precedence to doubt them going forward.

Reactions: mrbig864

That’s my quote, not it’s a sure thing or bet the house, but it’s a possibility.

Folsom to my knowledge, since there rise to prominence has NEVER scheduled a game they were heavy underdogs or thought they would lose.

My educated guess is they don’t want a bad lose and 0-4 record against Dls.

Do you remember how far back Mater Dei was set after losing 4 straight to the Spartans?
Do you remember a local team backing out of a game with DLS citing issues of “splitting the gate” ?

Not saying it will happen or that I want it to happen just saying don’t be shocked.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but what does the above have to do with your educated guess that Folsom will break a 2-yr commitment? If your argument is that they won't schedule up beyond the deal they have with DLS -- then those examples would be relevant. But they don't apply to what you're "guessing" might happen.

Again, what does the above have to do with breaking 2-yr agreements? Help me to see the connection.

I don't think anybody would argue against the idea that Folsom was willing to schedule up this season because they felt they had a tremendous team returning. I don't think they had any idea, however, who the Spartans starting QB would be when they scheduled the game ---- not that it really matters.

BTW, Folsom is likely to return a pretty good team next season too, ya know? Daniyel Ngata and Elijhah Badger -- who some feel might end up near as good as Joe Ngata -- are both returning among a few others. They just might be able to threaten DLS again. Who knows.

Like @Streak One, I'd be surprised if Folsom breaks off that deal all things considered. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but there's really no evidence to justify believing in that right now. Which was the point all along.

If Folsom does break that deal then they'd certainly be setting precedence to doubt them going forward.
That’s my quote, not it’s a sure thing or bet the house, but it’s a possibility.

Folsom to my knowledge, since there rise to prominence has NEVER scheduled a game they were heavy underdogs or thought they would lose.

Do you remember how far back Mater Dei was set after losing 4 straight to the Spartans?
Do you remember a local team backing out of a game with DLS citing issues of “splitting the gate” ?

Not saying it will happen or that I want it to happen just saying don’t be shocked.

131Pressman, please re-read ThunderRam's post again.

Did you really need an educated guess to note that no team, would " WANT" a bad loss to any other team?
Do you know of any teams who schedule games, and say, hey let's put them on the schedule so they can beat the crap out of us? Try being reasonable.

Here's wishing you great football.

I don’t see Folsom trying to back out of next year’s game, but it was DLS who somehow misjudged the airfare this year in their road game with East, and the game was mysteriously cancelled. Instead they played home games with both Folsom and BG.

DLS was supposed to play a home and home with Byrnes a couple of years ago, and after the first game at DLS, the rematch was cancelled and DLS never went to SC. And of course the much disputed initial games with BG a few years back, where they played at DLS and then DLS would not play them again at BG while Tony Sanchez was still at BG. Sanchez claimed they backed out of the home and home while DLS maintains there never was an agreement. Luckily for all of us fans they got it back on track the past 2 years.

Nobody is saying DLS might try to back out of any games, but they have more of a recent history of 2nd year cancellations or non rematches than Folsom. Had this been Folsom’s last record, the board would be lighting up citing their history. Just sayin’.

Some of your comments are “stretching” in in my opinion.

“Folsom to my knowledge, since there rise to prominence has NEVER scheduled a game they were heavy underdogs or thought they would lose.”
-
Folsom to my knowledge, in the history of their school, has NEVER backed out of a game. And what makes you think that THEY think they will lose? DLS beat Folsom this year, but despite the loss, if I were a Folsom Coach/Player, I’d take away the fact that they absolutely belonged on the field (something they couldn’t say in previous efforts), and had every chance to win that game. I’d bet they think ‘Now we get another shot, on our home field’..why would they NOT want the game? BTW....DLS has more of a history (rumored) of cancelling games, maybe they’ll back out instead, right?

-What exactly does this have to do with anything? Why don’t you say it out loud and maybe you’ll recognize how crazy you sound.
‘Hey everyone, 10 years ago Grant and DLS were trying to schedule a game, and apparently a handshake agreement between the teams crumbled due to rumors about not being able to agree on splitting the gate. Because of this, I wouldn’t be surprised if Folsom cancelled their HOME game against DLS next year!’
Um....what???? How does something that happened 10 years ago between schools NOT NAMED FOLSOM, have to do with Folsom? Although great job bringing up just another counter point to your original post. The Gate from the game. How much potential revenue will Folsom potentially garner from this home game, or give up using your theory?

SMH

Thanks to Streak, Observer, and Thunder for trying to bring some levity to this site. It really needs it lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
I get your slant on this but my point wasn't about the Open or State bowl games. My point is mainly about respect for NorCal football vs SoCal football. A lot of Folsom fans come on this site sticking their chest out about how great Folsom is. If Folsom is that great the only way they'll get elite type respect is to play the teams I mentioned. Scheduling and losing to DLS is one thing but competing against other top rated Cali teams and other top state programs year in and year out gives the Folsom fans the respect their seeking from others. Folsom poster "Cashisking18" and others praise Folsom as one of the top programs in the nation. Will if the Folsom fans feel they're team is on that level than they need to play teams on that same level. Once again, this is not about DLS and Folsom but it's about Folsom scheduling teams that are known powers in Cali and other states. Money isn't a problem for a school like Folsom when it comes to traveling 6 hours opposed to 1 or 2 hours. As the great legendary Bill Walsh said in a clinic once, "excuses are for whiners not winners". Folsom doesn't need any built-in excuses when it comes to competing against programs on their level of play. As a long time coach myself, I've never been about excuses and never will. Just sayin.

New Flash...I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that I don’t think Folsom Coaches/AD care who you, or anyone else, wants them to schedule, or what sort of “respect” you beIieve that would bring to NorCal football. I also don’t think they give a rats a** about Cashking or the one or two other Folsom fans who post on this message Board (there really aren’t nearly as many as you seem to think. It’s probably just the one that posts so often it feels like ALOT) I’ll go one step further and estimate that 99.99% of Folsom fans, parents, and residents have never heard of NorCal Preps, let alone read these Forums. They probably appreciate their school’s football team whether or not they play against SJB or Antelope. They’re much more likely to appreciate Folsom throttling Jesuit, than play against Mater Dei. It’s always nice to have local bragging rights over friends, co-workers, and former classmates versus a game against an LA school that most don’t know a thing about.

And for the record, there is quite a bit of difference in playing an Away game in Bay Area versus So Cal. despite what you say, the cost difference for travel related to an overnight hotel stay is exponently more expensive than traveling 80-100 miles, and bussing back the same night. Adding in a Fly Away game (ie...Utah as you’ve mentioned) is even more costly.

Sure it would make the 100 of us on this site happy if Folsom had another ‘National level” game, but understand ... that what you, me, or anyone else wants to happen, doesn’t matter to them.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if Folsom backed out of the deal. One, it is at home game that should draw a pretty good crowd. Second, Folsom likely starts next year as No. 2 and are trying to gain more recognition on the state and national level. You don't do that by backing out of deals.

As stated, Folsom has some history of scheduling lower than their talent level, but I don't know of any history of breaking off game deals
I hope you're right here.

Reactions: 131Pressman
I don’t see Folsom trying to back out of next year’s game, but it was DLS who somehow misjudged the airfare this year in their road game with East, and the game was mysteriously cancelled. Instead they played home games with both Folsom and BG.

DLS was supposed to play a home and home with Byrnes a couple of years ago, and after the first game at DLS, the rematch was cancelled and DLS never went to SC. And of course the much disputed initial games with BG a few years back, where they played at DLS and then DLS would not play them again at BG while Tony Sanchez was still at BG. Sanchez claimed they backed out of the home and home while DLS maintains there never was an agreement. Luckily for all of us fans they got it back on track the past 2 years.

Nobody is saying DLS might try to back out of any games, but they have more of a recent history of 2nd year cancellations or non rematches than Folsom. Had this been Folsom’s last record, the board would be lighting up citing their history. Just sayin’.

Just wanted to clear up a couple of things.

DLS never had a home n home agreement with BG. Sanchez later backtracked on his statement.

DLS never had a home n home with Byrnes either. It was always a one year deal. I remember talking with some of the Byrnes coaches the day before the game in ‘14. Among other things, we talked about how cool it’d be if DLS went out to SC one day.

East was obviously a legit 2nd year cancellation. But, unless you think that Coach A is lying, DLS made an understandable mistake.

That said, Folsom will not back out of this. No reason for gem to do so. They’ll have a strong team again next season. There’re at home. DLS will likely be better on offense, but 9 will graduate on defense. So I think they have another shot at beating DLS next year....and at the end of the day, they’ve never backed out of a regular season game. I dont see why they’d start now.

New Flash...I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that I don’t think Folsom Coaches/AD care who you, or anyone else, wants them to schedule, or what sort of “respect” you beIieve that would bring to NorCal football. I also don’t think they give a rats a** about Cashking or the one or two other Folsom fans who post on this message Board (there really aren’t nearly as many as you seem to think. It’s probably just the one that posts so often it feels like ALOT) I’ll go one step further and estimate that 99.99% of Folsom fans, parents, and residents have never heard of NorCal Preps, let alone read these Forums. They probably appreciate their school’s football team whether or not they play against SJB or Antelope. They’re much more likely to appreciate Folsom throttling Jesuit, than play against Mater Dei. It’s always nice to have local bragging rights over friends, co-workers, and former classmates versus a game against an LA school that most don’t know a thing about.

And for the record, there is quite a bit of difference in playing an Away game in Bay Area versus So Cal. despite what you say, the cost difference for travel related to an overnight hotel stay is exponently more expensive than traveling 80-100 miles, and bussing back the same night. Adding in a Fly Away game (ie...Utah as you’ve mentioned) is even more costly.

Sure it would make the 100 of us on this site happy if Folsom had another ‘National level” game, but understand ... that what you, me, or anyone else wants to happen, doesn’t matter to them.

I would typically just "LIKE" this post and read on, but it is an important enough point that I feel compelled to respond.

Self awareness is a valuable attribute. Some folks here should at least realize that they are in somewhat of an echo chamber when they are rambling on about strength of schedule, respect, etc. Do you realize how far removed from what most people call reality you are? I have yet to hear a living person make mention to any kid wearing a section or state championship ring the "strength of schedule" or "national respect" their particular team had or has. To think that it is any more important than a pet peeve of a dozen old men on a message board, is delusional.

Second, Folsom fans are not represented well on this board. Based on my personal interaction, seldom is a teams "persona" represented well here. From Grant to DLS to Cathedral Catholic to Nevada Union, most teams and their fans are good people that support their team as part of their community.
In places like Folsom you will see it on Friday nights at Prairie City Stadium, and there again on Saturdays when the marching band competition happens, and at Livermore Park when the Junior Bulldogs play, and in the main gym filled for basketball season, and in the new small gym when volleyball plays or a wrestling dual draws a couple hundred, and when the school play sells out 4 performances, and at every park Saturday mornings when thousands of kids across the city are playing some version of youth soccer (As I reference it, the "herd of turtles" kicking a ball) cheered on by their family and neighbors. I personally see a strong football program as a sign of a strong community. Whether that community is geographically or religion based, seldom does one happen without the support of the other.

The board is a place where "we" can talk HS football in the absence of a sports bar that is within 30 minutes of everyone in the state. But like most sports bars, there are always a few folks that can't handle their sodas, talk above everyone else, lack the control to hold their tongue or apply perspective and generally draw more attention to themselves than whatever they are talking about. I've come to using the "ignore" button as my personal bouncer and find the atmosphere much more enjoyable if I can drown out the noise and hang with some of the old regulars sharing stories of the glory days and bragging over the future of our offspring.

....stepping off the soap box, back to listening (reading) for awhile.

Just to let you know Mr.Big, I was poster Joe Mixon b4 I was told to make a decision on which handle I was going to use on this site. I decided to go with "FootballJunkie101" as you can see. Everyone has an opinion on this site and yours are somewhat different than mine. I totally disagree with you in regards to who follow this board. During the time I was a coach I frequent this board during the in-season and during the off-season to see what is said about college recruits I coached. It doesn't make neither one of us right or wrong when posting about a teams schedule. Now I'm sure you'll say my pointing out Chaminade is a team that Folsom should play didn't have any influence on the Folsom coaching staff. And I would beg to differ. Your assumptions doesn't make you right or wrong but it does open you up to your bias thoughts on what should be discussed here. Here's the thread where I said Folsom should schedule a Chaminade type program in the near future as poster (Joe Mixon). Posters Future10 a.k.a. DeltaDodger and many others are my witness. You have your thoughts on this subject and so do I. This is my last refute on this topic. I know where I stand on this topic and no one here will change that. Here's the Chaminade thread that took me sometime to look up. Bottom of page-3: https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/dls-vs-folsom-debate.17176/page-3

This is what I'm talking about. Folsom needs to step up their scheduling if they want to be respected like DLS. Folsom doesn't have to play DLS but they do need to play better opponents during the preseason. And I root for Folsom most of the time so I'm not hating on them I just want to see them play competition that may be above their level like DLS does.

Schedule a Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Redlands East Valley, Valencia (Valencia), Chaminade, Central (Fresno) or a McQueen (Nevada). Most of these teams have been boat raced by Centennial of the Inland Empire. Be great to see Folsom play these caliber of a team instead of the same ole slappies as Nascar stated. Folsom needs to step up or shut up. They've been a NorCal power for over a decade and still playing preseason competition that we all know they will beat. It was not one game on their preseason schedule that we thought they would lose. We were basically hoping to see a good game and Sac High presented that. Oakdale for a couple of quarters. Jesuit never had a chance and Coeur d'Alene was a waste of time. No need to schedule Coeur d'Alene when you have Southern Section teams just as good as them. G61, tell Richardson to challenge himself before he retires from old age bruh. Holla at me pot'na.

Look Ole "G" I agree that DLS have the luxury of being a private school and all that. And I also agree with you that comparing Folsom to DLS is like apples to oranges. We're on the same page in those regards. That said, Folsom doesn't need to schedule a Cali power like Centennial of the Inland Empire to garner respect from the NorCal masses. All they need to do is schedule SoCal teams that are perennial powers. Such as Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Redlands East, Chaminade, Central (Fresno) or Valencia. These are teams that will give Folsom a two year challenge in which Folsom would not be highly favored to beat. Like I said, we're not asking coach Richardson and his Folsom program to go out and schedule DLS or SoCal national powers. However, we are asking them to play perennial powers from a different section outside of the the same ole SJS opponents. Scheduling these teams will give Folsom major kudos in my opinion. Win, lose or draw I would respect Folsom even more so if Richardson were to schedule these types of programs.

I agree with you for the most part in this post about how us fans dont influence the general Folsom community and those who have a hand in scheduling games, but as a fan I get frustrated to not see what Folsom is capable of when they have one of there special teams and Chaminade does not cut it, especially when rumor has it one of the SoCal big dawgs had some flexibility on their schedule for Folsom, but they ended up with Chaminade.

On that note I will agree having DLS on their schedule, they didn't need to take that game with the SoCal powerhouse, when they would most likely have faced them in an Open game, but with their loss, we will still be somewhat left in the dark as how good they are since they won't probably face any team in a D1 bowl game that is much better than Chaminade. I personally dont care to see Folsom smash on another 2nd tier SoCal team.

To address another point you made in different post from the one I quoted, regarding why Folsom should care what anyone thinks of their schedule, I too agree they scheduled to give them the best opportunity to goto the Open game and scheduling any tougher could have worked against them when beating DLS was the only game of importance for Folsom in reaching their goals. However as I stated earlier since they lost that game and probably won't get the opportunity to face another team of DLS' caliber this year, we will be left wondering, just like in 14 how good Folsom really is. At least with the 18 team we still have the DLS game and it was played well enough to leave us fans wanting to see Folsom play another team of DLS' caliber this year. I for one am saddened that it probably won't happen

“Folsom to my knowledge, since there rise to prominence has NEVER scheduled a game they were heavy underdogs or thought they would lose.”
-
Folsom to my knowledge, in the history of their school, has NEVER backed out of a game. And what makes you think that THEY think they will lose? DLS beat Folsom this year, but despite the loss, if I were a Folsom Coach/Player, I’d take away the fact that they absolutely belonged on the field (something they couldn’t say in previous efforts), and had every chance to win that game. I’d bet they think ‘Now we get another shot, on our home field’..why would they NOT want the game? BTW....DLS has more of a history (rumored) of cancelling games, maybe they’ll back out instead, right?

-What exactly does this have to do with anything? Why don’t you say it out loud and maybe you’ll recognize how crazy you sound.
‘Hey everyone, 10 years ago Grant and DLS were trying to schedule a game, and apparently a handshake agreement between the teams crumbled due to rumors about not being able to agree on splitting the gate. Because of this, I wouldn’t be surprised if Folsom cancelled their HOME game against DLS next year!’
Um....what???? How does something that happened 10 years ago between schools NOT NAMED FOLSOM, have to do with Folsom? Although great job bringing up just another counter point to your original post. The Gate from the game. How much potential revenue will Folsom potentially garner from this home game, or give up using your theory?

SMH

Thanks to Streak, Observer, and Thunder for trying to bring some levity to this site. It really needs it lately.

-

SMH

looks like we have lots of sensitive grown men talking about high school football on this site. I thought this was a message board where you stated your opinion and people either agreed or disagree with some friendly give and back and then they moved on. I must of really struck a nerve, you know. Maybe StreakOne can create a “safe space” board for our members that need it.

If you're referring to Grant Union, you're only partially correct.

While splitting gate for the Pacers home game was one of a couple issues, the teams never had an agreement. It's kinda hard to back out of an agreement when you don't have one. And Coach AL's concerns over splitting gate for a home game is totally legit. They aren't a rich program by any means. And DLS certainly didn't need their $$. But the NCS denying DLS's request to play a game over Labor Day weekend seemed to be the real deal breaker.

According to JoeD's article (the 2nd one below), there was some cat and mouse between both programs in trying to ensure the games were scheduled during a year when they expected to be a bit stronger. In hindsight, though, it would have been tremendous to see those teams play in either 08 or 09. But GHS surely would have gotten their head kicked in for the initial 2007 game. That was their worst team from 2006 - 2010. They ended up playing Alta instead of DLS and lost in Utah 52-33.

02/12/2007
Bill Paterson, SacBee

There will be no Grant High School-De La Salle football matchup in the next few years.

Grant coach Mike Alberghini reports a preliminary bid to match the teams couldn't be worked out.

Alberghini said a De La Salle official, in a conversation with Pacers assistant coach Reggie Harris, considered having the Spartans come to Grant for a game Sept. 14, but only if the Pacers would split the gate. He said the Spartans, who are being realigned to a larger league in 2008 and will have fewer nonleague games, wouldn't play a second game until 2009.

"It was kind of a short-lived thing," Alberghini said. "It kind of all became moot."

That's because the North Coast Section denied De La Salle's request to play a game Labor Day weekend, a week before the season normally starts, against Loyola of Los Angeles.

"I think once that happened, that window (Sept. 14) closed for us," Alberghini said.

But even if the date were available, Alberghini had concerns about the arrangement.

"Splitting the gate would be hard for us," Alberghini said. "We really need that money to support our program. And the best thing for us would be to go two years back-to-back. We're going to have a young team next year. We wouldn't want to play them two times in transition years."

Bay Area power Valley Christian decided not to continue to play the Pacers after losing at Grant in 2005 -- its only loss that season -- and losing 40-7 in 2006 in San Jose.

"They told us they just didn't think they were competitive enough," Alberghini said. "I can respect that."

So Grant has only nine games scheduled, with an open date either Sept. 14 or Oct. 19 -- its Metro Conference bye date. Alberghini already has gotten a ton of rejections.

"They either say it's too far to travel or that we're too good," he said.
09/14/2007
Joe Davidson, SacBee

Alberghini tried to schedule national power De La Salle of Concord, only to get a taste of big-time program negotiating. The Spartans are so high-profile they can pick and chose any team in the nation they want to play. The schools were close to agreeing to a game at Grant this fall before things fell apart. De La Salle wanted to split the gate receipts (usually the home team keeps all the revenue), and it requested the second game of the series be played in 2009, not next season when the Spartans are expected to be rebuilding after facing mass graduations. Alberghini said his young team of sophomores and juniors will be much stronger next season.

Reactions: Deltadodger

Mr Big
I agree with you but I think there are 2 discussions here 1st) there are those who are trying to argue that Folsom is deserving of playing in the state Open game over DLS some years and 2nd) There is an argument that overall Folsom based on their record over the years is equal to DLS,Mater D and St John Bosco.

Lets look at each argument but the answer is the same probably for both.
1st argument_"Folsom deserves to get in the state game over DLS" I cant think of one Folsom team I would've picked over DLS for open (maybe last years team but not really). In my opinion open goes thru DLS and we know how their head to head match ups have all turned out.The only team I can see getting the state open invite would be the team who beats DLS head to head.

2nd argument "Folsom is an equal program to DLS,Mater Dei and St John Bosco" When it comes to mere numbers I would say yes but I still wonder how Folsom would do against Gorman, Allen(Texas),St Thomas Aquinas,So Cal powers the teams that DLS and other top teams regularly schedule. Folsom going 14-0 and beating Jesuit and Granite Bay and DLS going 12-2 but losing to Gorman and Mater Dei ,does that make them a better program?

In my opinion Folsom has to either beat DLS head to head or year end and year out to schedule similarly to be considered in the top tier teams, they are still a powerhouse but just a notch below.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Mr Big
I agree with you but I think there are 2 discussions here 1st) there are those who are trying to argue that Folsom is deserving of playing in the state Open game over DLS some years .

Besides one person, who else is or has made this argument?

2nd) There is an argument that overall Folsom based on their record over the years is equal to DLS,Mater D and St John Bosco.

FWIW, it doesn't appear that Folsom is the only one behind MD/SJB. DLS isn't equal to them either. At least not the past couple seasons.

The only thing I've read from others or asserted myself is that Folsom/DLS could play a competitive game against those two but would still lose by several scores.

Reactions: mrbig864
I agree with you for the most part in this post about how us fans dont influence the general Folsom community and those who have a hand in scheduling games, but as a fan I get frustrated to not see what Folsom is capable of when they have one of there special teams and Chaminade does not cut it, especially when rumor has it one of the SoCal big dawgs had some flexibility on their schedule for Folsom, but they ended up with Chaminade.

On that note I will agree having DLS on their schedule, they didn't need to take that game with the SoCal powerhouse, when they would most likely have faced them in an Open game, but with their loss, we will still be somewhat left in the dark as how good they are since they won't probably face any team in a D1 bowl game that is much better than Chaminade. I personally dont care to see Folsom smash on another 2nd tier SoCal team.

I too wish the offer made to Folsom by SJB -- whether tongue-in-cheek or legit -- would have come to pass. It would have nice to have another bench mark for what appears to be such a good team. Who knows, they may have even played better against Braves than they did against the Spartans after having a couple games under their belt.

FWIW, it doesn't appear that Folsom is the only one behind MD/SJB. DLS isn't equal to them either. At least not the past couple seasons.

The only thing I've read from others or asserted myself is that Folsom/DLS could play a competitive game against those two but would still lose by several scores.

I agree wholeheartedly Thunder. There is no arguement here. Folsom had a shot and didn’t take advantage...that’s on them. Would it be cool if they had another high quality opponent this year? Of course. But my responses have been directed to those posters stating without any reason things like ‘it wouldn’t surprise me if Folsom cancelled on DLS next year”. Or those insisting “Folsom needs to schedule ______ in order to gain respect on the national level”. As if Folsom really cares.

Seems to me everyone gets worked up over one egomaniac Folsom blowhard...errr.....fan. Outside of him, I don’t see a bunch of Folsom fans tooting their own horn or advocating that Folsom deserves anything they haven’t earned. I’d say there is much more Folsom hate on here than anything else TBH.

Last edited:
Here's a not so novel idea. If as most posters on here think DLS and Folsom are two of the top programs year in and year out. Why not set up a game every year? Since before my father was in high school Oakdale played Turlock annually. They stopped playing each other just a couple of years ago. The competitiveness of the games got a little lopsided. Folsom and DLS could make this happen,if they wanted to?

But my responses have been directed to those posters stating without any reason things like ‘it wouldn’t surprise me if Folsom cancelled on DLS next year”. Or those insisting “Folsom needs to schedule ______ in order to gain respect on the national level”. As if Folsom really cares.

We're on the same page. There's seemingly more and more blanket, absolute statements being made w/o merit and largely in overreaction to one person. I'm not pro-Folsom nor am I a Folsom hater. I'm for fairness, correctness and objectivity. Leave the hyperbole at home. Like I always tell my kids, when you feel the need to exaggerate a point -- you have no point. Simply let the facts stand for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT