ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom recruiting

cruisinnorm

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2009
When the Bee posted the top 50 football players in the San Joaquin area 10 of them where from Folsom The rest of the schools had one or two players. You ask yourself “How does this happen?” Great coaching, better training, super Folsom spirit or recruiting? I’m ready to vote. End off story!

When the Bee posted the top 50 football players in the San Joaquin area 10 of them where from Folsom The rest of the schools had one or two players. You ask yourself “How does this happen?” Great coaching, better training, super Folsom spirit or recruiting? I’m ready to vote. End off story!
If you were an elite athlete and you had a choice of schools to attend, where would you want to go? Teams like Folsom have no need to recruit, kids (and their parents) want to go there.

I've had this conversation with several people. Ask yourself these ?.

1. Is it a good/great school academically? - Yes
2. Is it in a desirable area to live and raise a family- Yes
3. Does the team have a winning tradition- yes
4. Are the facilities good- yes
5. Are the kids exposed to opportunities to play at the next level- yes
6. Are the coaches good- yes

Name one reason why you wouldn't want to play football at Folsom? Or Oak Ridge for that matter. (even though they got blitzed). Folsom recruits itself. If you don't realize this your an idiot.

Name one reason why you wouldn't want to play football at Folsom? Or Oak Ridge for that matter. (even though they got blitzed). Folsom recruits itself. If you don't realize this your an idiot.

You think kids just want to transfer around like in so cal huh? I guess family’s incomes just over night boost up enough to afford folsom housing. I’ll say this much kids in Sacramento don’t think about football enough to think about transferring to folsom it’s not that simple. High school coaches work their magic at the youth games. It’s funny how you guys believe the coaches have nothing to do with it. I know how folsom works because I have a nephew that was lured away from sac high by folsom and he was sang the only one. But this is a dead topic and eventually sac bee will address this like when we all got the answers about the Reno kids. Folsoms basketball team have been doing this for a decade the football program is catching up

I don’t know why people care so much about players transferring. If this were literally any other sport in any other country in the world these kids would already be signed to pro teams and playing in a minor league.

Chad Elliott might be the only person in the history of Sac who moved into DPH from Grass Valley. That dude danced to his own beat. But he also played with some tremendous players during the Grant glory years. Sorry but you aren't recruiting kids into DPH from more desirable areas and schools. Is that a popular statement? Probably not. Do I care. No. Folsom is by CA standards very affordable BTW.

If you watched the underclassmen talent and their JV team don't expect the falloff anytime soon.

Reactions: cookie530
This is a pointless thread, but I will bite and give my two cents...The little pebble (occasional transfer) tumbling down the mountain has become a huge bolder (flood gate of transfers) with nothing to stop it. The Folsom school administration works diligently to process these transfers, the SacBee defends the process, and the coaches get to sit back and see all the new players filing in each semester/year. Outside looking in, there appears to be nothing wrong, and the CIF apparently agrees. So, what is the coaching staff to do but welcome D1 athletes and coach them in the Folsom program. But, I personally think once the outside layer gets peeled back enough, it will stink real bad inside. I have coached against Folsom for 10 years and I have seen a very good program with hometown kids who played in the youth program at Livermore Park. The kids went from mighty mites to seniors together and even became state champions. The program continued to build off their youth. There was a real sense of hometown pride and as a coach and resident of a neighbor town, I could appreciate the whole thing. In just a few years removed, today, the whole culture has changed at Folsom. I'm not so sure that 75% of their roster even knows where Livermore Park is located! The Folsom youth need to ask themselves a very serious question, "Will I be able to play at the high school level in my local neighborhood?" Next week, ANOTHER Reno kid will become eligible to play for Folsom as he had to sit for five weeks.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6249046/Chandon-Pierre

Folsom will be even better next week when this player gets on the field. They have an incredible team this year and most assume they will continue their success towards another state championship. I wonder at what cost over the long term will the open borders, legitimizing residences, etc be at some point in the future for a program that was originally built by "Folsom kids and parents". Again, I don't live in Folsom, but it is my two cents on the issue.

Come on down to the Central Coast Section, my friend. Check out the all-star, regional rosters of some of the big-time WCAL teams and then complain about a public school like Folsom being successful. CCS public schools should live so long.

The thread title and original post are really, lets call it silly. Just throwing mud and seeing if it sticks.

However, the rest of the post has some interesting takes about the changing guard of the Folsom program. It doesn't have a different feel than 2010.

I don't think anyone is doing anything blatantly wrong. It is living in the gray like 99 percent of the success programs these days.

The 99% figure is subjective. The word recruiting is overused. It’s no secret how some kids get “attracted” to certain schools.

It’s nice to know our strictly enforced geo-boundary school/district left our coaches no choice but to coach ‘em up.

Guys -- this isn't rocket science and is pretty simple. Young kids tend to be front runners and want to be part of a winning team. This isn't a new or recent development and has been reality for longer than we've been following HS sports.

Also, this doesn't remotely begin or end with Folsom. They are just the recent link in the chain. They've only been doing this for the past 6 years or so (the 2010/2011 teams laid the groundwork with locals). Kids were flocking to the likes of Del Oro, Granite Bay, etc. before that.

Some of you are too young to remember, but Cordova was accused of this same exact thing back in the 70's and 80's. They were winning big and kids wanted to be a part of it. Mather AFB made it easy for parents to relocate right into the school's boundaries.

I could name other schools over the years but what's the point?? The reason the problem seems more widespread is because it is. All the media outlets online and via TV make winning programs more visible than ever before. And the kids communicate with each other like never before.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Like many programs before them, Folsom's reign will end and another program will rise in their place. This stuff is always cyclical -- especially for public programs.

Guys -- this isn't rocket science and is pretty simple. Young kids tend to be front runners and want to be part of a winning team. This isn't a new or recent development and has been reality for longer than we've been following HS sports.

Also, this doesn't remotely begin or end with Folsom. They are just the recent link in the chain. They've only been doing this for the past 6 years or so (the 2010/2011 teams laid the groundwork with locals). Kids were flocking to the likes of Del Oro, Granite Bay, etc. before that.

Some of you are too young to remember, but Cordova was accused of this same exact thing back in the 70's and 80's. They were winning big and kids wanted to be a part of it. Mather AFB made it easy for parents to relocate right into the school's boundaries.

I could name other schools over the years but what's the point?? The reason the problem seems more widespread is because it is. All the media outlets online and via TV make winning programs more visible than ever before. And the kids communicate with each other like never before.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Like many programs before them, Folsom's reign will end and another program will rise in their place. This stuff is always cyclical -- especially for public programs.

Exactly. This drum has been beaten many times.

Love what Folsom does. They put the time in all year. Best coaching around, great teachers of the game. On heels of De La Salle, that doesn't just happen.

And to say "Like many programs before them, Folsom's reign will end and another program will rise in their place" is just pure speculation!!

Depends on how committed they are to winning. From the looks of things, I’d say VERY committed

Reactions: ThunderRam
Recruiting for football will become necessary at the High School level in the Bay Area to stay competitive and relevant in California. Reason being big demographic changes happening and not alot of football players being spawned by the Bay Area transplants. So the logical thing to do is build a Bully High School program or perhaps a few strategically located and send all the good Football players to those schools. Times are a changing and to stay relevant you must adapt.

So I've given Folsom tons of shit in the past for the Ngata Bros and Bennett all being from Reno, having grown up together and somehow magically appearing at Folsom.

But I will say that something these top teams have in common is a feeder program. Folsom with the Jr. Bulldogs. Pittsburg with the Jr. Pirates. Grant and the Jr. Pacers. All of that goes a long way at the high school level.

Isnt Folsom a public school? They can "recruit" all they want but if you dont live in the district you cant go there. I suppose its relatively easy to move within the boundary to qualify your child to go to the school.

Speculation that's based upon historical fact --- unlike others that make blanket statements based upon nothing at all.

Thanks for playing.
So true, aren't those blankets statements such as "Folsom's reign will end and another program will rise in their place" so bothersome? Just ignore them.

I've defended that DLS and the CCS privates don't recruit because they don't have to because success begets success, and I'm going to defend Folsom the same. Athletes like to win, and if they can go to a school that gives them the best chance at winning, they will. Now that the CIF has eased/lifted restrictions on transfers you'll see more and more kids going to Folsom. They've established themselves as the best public school program in the SJS (and one of the best in the state/country), it's a nice area, they have great facilities for a high school, and they have that sweet looking home field turf. Unless something happens at the school where Coach Richardson goes to war with the school administrators and the administrators decide to burn it all down (see Pioneer High School vs Mark Krail), there isn't anything to keep Folsom from bringing in talent year after year.

I agree that public or privates that have good programs naturally attract good players. My beef has always been the MD and SJB method of bringing players in after their freshmen or sophomore years at other schools. I would not want to see Sacramento area schools stsrt doing that.

I agree that public or privates that have good programs naturally attract good players. My beef has always been the MD and SJB method of bringing players in after their freshmen or sophomore years at other schools. I would not want to see Sacramento area schools stsrt doing that.
How do you know if the parents aren’t the ones sending their kids there for better exposure? What if it’s the kid that’s ask his parents to attend those private schools for better education and a better environment than what some of these kids have to deal with in LA

What if it’s the kid that’s ask his parents to attend those private schools for better education and a better environment than what some of these kids have to deal with in LA

I gotta ask --- If it was for these reasons, why weren't MD and SJB attracting the same volume of elite talents all along? They've only been at this ridiculously good, elite National level for the past 4-5 years. Before that, they were upper level private programs but with ups and downs like everyone else. But in a sudden need to compete with the likes of Bishop Gorman -- who also wasn't at this same ridiculously good, elite National level 8-10 years ago -- they're suddenly top 10 National teams each year. The recruiting and transferring amped up big time.

There are lots of excellent schools in SoCal. The Trinity privates are far from the only options. Truth is, most of these transfers are primarily athletically motivated. You're naive if you don't recognize it.

Reactions: SpartanzRule
I gotta ask --- If it was for these reasons, why weren't MD and SJB attracting the same volume of elite talents all along? They've only been at this ridiculously good, elite National level for the past 4-5 years. Before that, they were upper level private programs but with ups and downs like everyone else. But in a sudden need to compete with the likes of Bishop Gorman -- who also wasn't at this same ridiculously good, elite National level 8-10 years ago -- they're suddenly top 10 National teams each year. The recruiting and transferring amped up big time.

There are lots of excellent schools in SoCal. The Trinity privates are far from the only options. Truth is, most of these transfers are primarily athletically motivated. You're naive if you don't recognize it.

I believe California was just behind on this thr out of state teams were built like how md is built years ago. Kinda like how California is just now playing football year round. They know what it takes now to be a national power. But I only made that a excuse for them because it’s the excuse you guys make for folsom just because they’re a public school you guys assume these players are flocking to Folsom because they wanna play in that program for example Jonah Williams was at Davis high school do you think he really said I wanna go block for folsom. No better believe he was guided therelikr I stated before my nephew played for sac high he finished at Folsom. My point is the coaches in public schools find and bring in kids just like privates do these days. I just hate seeing people say the the success lures in talent when it’s most of the times it’s the coaches bringing in the talent to keep the edge. For the record folsom is good in basketball too they been pulling in outside players for decades now

All of this hand-wringing is just a waste of time and energy. I get that it may make you feel good to bash the best public school football team in Norcal, but it is meaningless and dumb. There are no asterisks on a state championship because a school/team has players that were not born in the same city the school is located. Or because they received transfers. This may exist in your mind, but that only speaks to your maturity and inability to accept reality on reality's terms.

All of this hand-wringing is just a waste of time and energy. I get that it may make you feel good to bash the best public school football team in Norcal, but it is meaningless and dumb. There are no asterisks on a state championship because a school/team has players that were not born in the same city the school is located. Or because they received transfers. This may exist in your mind, but that only speaks to your maturity and inability to accept reality on reality's terms.
I agree feedback. Honestly, besides a handful of posters, nobody cares. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Just most of the nation of supporters doesn't have time, nor the energy to come on here and battle with a small minority group of haters, etc.... I realize there are a handful of long time posters on here (from reading for years) that hate Folsom with a passion, and that is ok. Not everyone is going to like you. I was told before posting on here, from a few of my longtime poster friends, mentioned in one of my posts, to be prepared to be called names, accused of this and that...and that is fine by me, but it detracts from the meat and potatoes of the football we are discussing! I hope some of you take us up on our offer to attend a home game and have a drink with us! I am sure it will change your mind in regards to many of the negative things I am seeing on here.

What is truly ironic is that the same handful of people seems to be posting the same things in regards to playing all of these top notch private schools from around the state, all of which can accept transfers of any kind due to not having district boundaries, etc... But then the same people turn around and accuse Folsom of recruiting, right after saying they need to play SJB, MD, etc.... Basically saying YOU need to play all these schools, but only YOU can't do anything remotely perceived to be what these other schools are doing. Doesn't make sense to me, but we still pride ourselves on doing things the right way with the real goal in mind- sending kids to the next level to get an education. When it is all said and done, not even 1% of these kids ever get to the NFL. They are only left with the education they got. And after all that, nobody really cares about winning HSFB games but a few maniacal posters on a local message board. Keep that in mind when taking this too seriously.

I have always said this- if people aren't hatin, you ain't doing anything right!

We welcome them all!

Last edited:
I don't really mind that good programs naturally attract good players from outside their district, but when they are being recruited from other jr programs is where I would draw the line.

Reactions: cruisinnorm
Top programs private or public will get transfers, like people say the best want to play for the best, and they will find a way to play there.......if you want to be relevant on a National or even state level (like a big state Cali,florida, texas, etc) you're gonna pull kids from outside your boundaries..........it is what it is, its a new era of High School football and I think Folsom should keep doing what they are doing

I believe California was just behind on this thr out of state teams were built like how md is built years ago. Kinda like how California is just now playing football year round. They know what it takes now to be a national power. But I only made that a excuse for them because it’s the excuse you guys make for folsom just because they’re a public school you guys assume these players are flocking to Folsom because they wanna play in that program for example Jonah Williams was at Davis high school do you think he really said I wanna go block for folsom. No better believe he was guided therelikr I stated before my nephew played for sac high he finished at Folsom. My point is the coaches in public schools find and bring in kids just like privates do these days. I just hate seeing people say the the success lures in talent when it’s most of the times it’s the coaches bringing in the talent to keep the edge. For the record folsom is good in basketball too they been pulling in outside players for decades now

I don’t make excuses for Folsom, so don’t lump me in to that group. I do believe success is a large factor because most young kids are front runners by nature. Once a program develops a winning culture and tradition, they are on every player/parents radar.

And while I don’t completely discount your assertion about players being recruited or guided to a program, I don’t like to assume or make accusations w/o proof. I don’t think that’s fair. You may believe you have proof based upon your family experience, but I haven’t seen it myself. So I won’t go there.

Can’t agree with you ANYMORE than I do on this one!

Name one reason why you wouldn't want to play football at Folsom? Or Oak Ridge for that matter. (even though they got blitzed). Folsom recruits itself.

While I agree with all your points, I'll offer a counterpoint.

Folsom HS isn't the only program that checks those boxes. For example, why doesn't Vista del Lago draw similarly? Same town, arguably a nicer part of town with equal or better facilities. They've had good coaching there over the years (e.g., Chris Jones; don't know much about Mike Struebing). And what about Whitney? That place looks like a JR College and has had very good coaches through the program too. But neither of those schools draw all the best players from around the area. And up until the past 6 years or so, Folsom had no more of a winning tradition that today's kids/parents would know anything about. So why wasn't the program attracting kids similarly say from 2002 - 2012? Pretty much every numbered point you listed was in place back then too.

Fair questions to ask.

While I agree with all your points, I'll offer a counterpoint.

Folsom HS isn't the only program that checks those boxes. For example, why doesn't Vista del Lago draw similarly? Same town, arguably a nicer part of town with equal or better facilities. They've had good coaching there over the years (e.g., Chris Jones; don't know much about Mike Struebing). And what about Whitney? That place looks like a JR College and has had very good coaches through the program too. But neither of those schools draw all the best players from around the area. And up until the past 6 years or so, Folsom had no more of a winning tradition that today's kids/parents would know anything about. So why wasn't the program attracting kids similarly say from 2002 - 2012? Pretty much every numbered point you listed was in place back then too.

Fair questions to ask.

Division 2 state champs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT