ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom vs Jesuit...venue change

Odd that Jesuit's 1st couple home games were scheduled for FRI instead of Saturday to begin with. Doesn't make much sense to me. If they're doing it due to anticipated heat in AUG/SEPT, it's always cooler at 1pm than the 4:30 start time on FRI.

Regardless, I'm sure Folsom is happy to get another home game even if not wearing the home colors or receiving the gate.

Just heard about this today! So glad I saved a drive through traffic to Carmichael. I am sure Jesuit fans even appreciate this since the venue is so much better. It looked like they enjoyed it last year.

I am sure Jesuit fans even appreciate this since the venue is so much better.

No Friday night lights and hot Saturday weather aside, I don't think this is the case. Jesuit's new stadium is equally as nice as Folsom's. Folsom's venue is nice, but not especially great.

For me, personally, Prairie City Stadium has always felt void of something. I'm not a big fan of the surroundings or the vibe. There are much better venues elsewhere IMO. But I certainly understand your affinity for it. To each their own, I suppose.

No Friday night lights and hot Saturday weather aside, I don't think this is the case. Jesuit's new stadium is equally as nice as Folsom's. Folsom's venue is nice, but not especially great.

For me, personally, Prairie City Stadium has always felt void of something. I'm not a big fan of the surroundings or the vibe. There are much better venues elsewhere IMO. But I certainly understand your affinity for it. To each their own, I suppose.
I guess my expectations are pretty low. I like:

1. Good food
2. Lots of people
3. Easy to get in and out
4. Great announcers

I personally like Jesuit's venue. But mid afternoon in August just isn't fun for anyone. I like the change. At least it will cool to a playable temp sometime after game time. Plus it allows many more people to see the game. Great call.

I'm a huge fan of the Del Oro venue. One of my all time favs. I also like GB and Oak Ridge with some of the changes they made. The rest are just kind of mehhhhh.

-Bulldog guidance

Folsom's venue is nice, but not especially great.

So true. Feels like an empty airplane hanger set in the flight path of every UPS delivery jet west of the Mississippi with the soothing sound of passing traffic on the all-too-close Hwy 50. Perhaps they should invest in planting a lot of trees around the stadium to give it a cozier feel.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
So true. Feels like an empty airplane hanger set in the flight path of every UPS delivery jet west of the Mississippi with the soothing sound of passing traffic on the all-too-close Hwy 50. Perhaps they should invest in planting a lot of trees around the stadium to give it a cozier feel.
Hey it could be worse. Some of the posters on here are still attending games at schools with dirt tracks, muddy grass, and snack "shacks." This is in the year 2017.

We should be proud. Lol

Hey it could be worse. Some of the posters on here are still attending games at schools with dirt tracks, muddy grass, and snack "shacks." This is in the year 2017.

We should be proud. Lol

The turf is the best by far. But they need a big bad ass bulldog in the middle of that field.

The hottest part of the day is around 330pm in Sac area. Gotta love the 95 year olds who live around Carmichael who were damned if they put lights in at Jesuit. Such BS. One of the real tragedies when they built that stadium. When it becomes a safety concern because of heat that has to really piss you off if you are a marauder and this could have been a great venue at night off Fair Oaks Blvd. Praire City is a nice field and great facility. Maybe it doesn't feel like small town USA like Loomis but what does in Folsom.? Everything is pretty new. Oak Ridge is underrated and is a great overall place to take in an SFL game. I'm not a fan of the Elk Grove fields. Too me they lack any personality. Same with the city. St Mary's of stockton has a great venue as well. Not much else is right with Stockton though.

Del Oro is definitely my favorite place to catch a game. I've only been there once, and it was like 15 years ago, but I really liked the atmosphere at Nevada Union too. And Napa is pretty cool without the track between the field and seats.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
Right now they just have the massive inflatable in the north end zone lol

Yes, that is cool. I am voting for redwoods surrounding the south and east side of the field. And I think I'd plant a few around the gate to provide a little shade while the folks are waiting to buy tickets or grub. It would be a great wind break to protect the passes in the air.

Del Oro is definitely my favorite place to catch a game. I've only been there once, and it was like 15 years ago, but I really liked the atmosphere at Nevada Union too. And Napa is pretty cool without the track between the field and seats.

Those are my favorites as well. Once you sit down at Del Oro, its a very nice place to watch a game. Trying to remember that ridiculous song they play everytime something good happens.

Lincoln of Stockton has a nice venue, too. In fact, the SJS uses it for some of the lower division section championship games. Yep, not many nice things/places in Stockton. But, the few that exist are indeed pretty nice. For example, my property, I can humbly say, and others on Spanos Lake aren't too shabby. Same can be said for multi-acre properties in Morada and Atherton Island (Delta access), and the mansions in Brookside (Behind The Gate). Nevermind, the Alex G Spanos compound, itself nearby Lincoln high school (has guard towers to protect his property ... why? Uh, it's in Stockton). Note: Alex Spanos paid a good 1/2 million to help build the Lincoln High School stadium (hence, why it's called Spanos Stadium). Lincoln School District and other donors paid the other 1/2 million. Spanos is the same guy who paid for Cal Poly San Luis Obispo's stadium (hint: it's also called Spanos Stadium). Again, not all bad in Stockton. But, there is a lot that is bad. Too bad there isn't a guide to point these places out. Lol.

Vista del Lago in Folsom plays Ponderosa in their new stadium Friday night. This stadium has great potential . Congratulations to all involved and doing it right.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel when I'm there. The South end of the stadium would definitely benefit from feeling more "cozy" as you put it. I also don't think it's all that easy to get in and out of either. When the main lot is full, there's really no convenient place to park and it's a hassle to park on the other side of Prairie City and walk. I've parked in the lot on the other side of campus and walked through campus, but that's a hassle too.

This is truth. My alma mater says hello. They're still playing on a grass field with the home stands facing the sun for the JV game because 15+ years ago they used to play Saturday afternoon games when the visiting side was looking into the sun. They did get a new track a couple years ago so perhaps there is hope. El Camino and Del Campo also got some nice upgrades recently, but there are a lot of schools that wish they had half of what Folsom has.

Again, let me be clear, I don't think Folsom is a bad venue at all. In fact, it's quite good. It just doesn't have the vibe or feel that other venues have. Just my opinion.

The hottest part of the day is around 330pm in Sac area. Gotta love the 95 year olds who live around Carmichael who were damned if they put lights in at Jesuit. Such BS. One of the real tragedies when they built that stadium. When it becomes a safety concern because of heat that has to really piss you off if you are a marauder and this could have been a great venue at night off Fair Oaks Blvd.

Yeah, I'm surprised they sunk all that $$ into stadium improvements without getting assurances that lights would be in the future. I've heard rumblings that they are still trying to make something happen. Lots of folks have said that it will never happen, but if Malibu High could make it happen despite all the continued opposition, I would think 'lil ol Carmichael could too. They don't have near the $$ to fight it as the residents in Malibu have.

When NU was good, I don't think there was a better venue in NorCal than Hooper Stadium. And this coming from someone that had to face NU back in the day in league. It's just flat out an awesome place to play and to watch a game. The tall pine trees that surround it give it a very cozy, authentic vibe. You really feel like you are in God's country. And that damn horn that sounds each time they score a TD still rings in my ears today.

I know Napa Memorial Stadium is also quite nice. Probably the nicest actual venue in terms of construction. It's absolutely beautiful. But it's still not quite like Hooper Stadium in terms of energy and vibe. I've not yet been to The Corral in Oakdale, but I know it ranks right up there too. And as everyone has mentioned, Golden Eagle Stadium in Loomis is pretty hard to beat on a Friday night. I've seen lots of great games there.

For me, a couple of underrated places are Rocklin's Thunder Stadium -- I like the coziness of how it sits beneath and is surrounded by the rolling green hills -- and Grant Union's Rutherford Stadium, where the stands are situated close to the field with great sight lines and very vocal yet very cool fans.

Last edited:
Oak Ridge is underrated and is a great overall place to take in an SFL game.

I agree with you. The last game I saw there was in '15 and I was impressed with how much that stadium has improved. I dig the snack bar at the far end. And there are good views from the visitors side especially at the top.

Yeah slowly but surely OR has improved. Probably due for new turf and some visitor improvements but overall a good vibe and tough place to play. I still like going over to Loomis to watch a game at DO. Pretty amazing experience.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Jesuit should make a few extra bucks from the increased attendance too. BTW...maybe Bulldog can give us some 'secrets' on how it's "easy to get in and out". Took us over 30 minutes to park and get into the Jesuit /Folsom game last year. ;-)

Reactions: ThunderRam
Jesuit should make a few extra bucks from the increased attendance too. BTW...maybe Bulldog can give us some 'secrets' on how it's "easy to get in and out". Took us over 30 minutes to park and get into the Jesuit /Folsom game last year. ;-)

Engage the 4WD and plow through the baseball fields, blow the chain link and get airborne onto Iron Point. Just a thought.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel when I'm there. The South end of the stadium would definitely benefit from feeling more "cozy" as you put it. I also don't think it's all that easy to get in and out of either. When the main lot is full, there's really no convenient place to park and it's a hassle to park on the other side of Prairie City and walk. I've parked in the lot on the other side of campus and walked through campus, but that's a hassle too.

This is truth. My alma mater says hello. They're still playing on a grass field with the home stands facing the sun for the JV game because 15+ years ago they used to play Saturday afternoon games when the visiting side was looking into the sun. They did get a new track a couple years ago so perhaps there is hope. El Camino and Del Campo also got some nice upgrades recently, but there are a lot of schools that wish they had half of what Folsom has.

Again, let me be clear, I don't think Folsom is a bad venue at all. In fact, it's quite good. It just doesn't have the vibe or feel that other venues have. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I'm surprised they sunk all that $$ into stadium improvements without getting assurances that lights would be in the future. I've heard rumblings that they are still trying to make something happen. Lots of folks have said that it will never happen, but if Malibu High could make it happen despite all the continued opposition, I would think 'lil ol Carmichael could too. They don't have near the $$ to fight it as the residents in Malibu have.

When NU was good, I don't think there was a better venue in NorCal than Hooper Stadium. And this coming from someone that had to face NU back in the day in league. It's just flat out an awesome place to play and to watch a game. The tall pine trees that surround it give it a very cozy, authentic vibe. You really feel like you are in God's country. And that damn horn that sounds each time they score a TD still rings in my ears today.

I know Napa Memorial Stadium is also quite nice. Probably the nicest actual venue in terms of construction. It's absolutely beautiful. But it's still not quite like Hooper Stadium in terms of energy and vibe. I've not yet been to The Corral in Oakdale, but I know it ranks right up there too. And as everyone has mentioned, Golden Eagle Stadium in Loomis is pretty hard to beat on a Friday night. I've seen lots of great games there.

For me, a couple of underrated places are Rocklin's Thunder Stadium -- I like the coziness of how it sits beneath and is surrounded by the rolling green hills -- and Grant Union's Rutherford Stadium, where the stands are situated close to the field with great sight lines and very vocal yet very cool fans.
I totally agree with you on this. I believe the vibe Folsom is missing is the field being on the main drag. It would have a better feel if the stadium was located in the back of the school somewhere. In my opinion, whenever a stadium is the first thing I see on a campus it seems to take away from the ambiance of a Friday Nights Lights game. Favorite stadiums to watch a packed house game in: Napa, DO, Lincoln (S), NU, Monte Vista, Clovis and Vallejo of the 90's.

Odd that Jesuit's 1st couple home games were scheduled for FRI instead of Saturday to begin with. Doesn't make much sense to me. If they're doing it due to anticipated heat in AUG/SEPT, it's always cooler at 1pm than the 4:30 start time on FRI.

Regardless, I'm sure Folsom is happy to get another home game even if not wearing the home colors or receiving the gate.

At Folsom, at Jesuit, on the blacktop, in a swimming pool, blue jerseys, red jerseys, pink jerseys, result wouldn't change. Expect a running clock in the 2nd half, with the city of Carmichael searching for the nearest exit! Folsom wins big, probably drop 70 when it's all said and done.

There is a one way quick exit on the far west side of the parking lot. Park right near there. Back into your spot. You will be out in 30 seconds. Never use the main entrance/exit except to initially get in. You will thank me later.

We should be proud. Lol

Not all schools can afford big fancy football stadiums. Smaller rural schools that still play on grass with dirt tracks and snack shacks are some of the most enjoyable football games I've ever been to and I've been to a ton of both over 30+ years. Just sayin...

Not all schools can afford big fancy football stadiums. Smaller rural schools that still play on grass with dirt tracks and snack shacks are some of the most enjoyable football games I've ever been to and I've been to a ton of both over 30+ years. Just sayin...
I agree. My reference was more in regards to appreciating what we have because most other schools simply don't have facilities like that.

At Folsom, at Jesuit, on the blacktop, in a swimming pool, blue jerseys, red jerseys, pink jerseys, result wouldn't change. Expect a running clock in the 2nd half, with the city of Carmichael searching for the nearest exit! Folsom wins big, probably drop 70 when it's all said and done.

That's some serious optimism right there. I think Folsom runs it a lot early to open up the pass attack. I don't think they will score 70. But I could see 42-21.

right on, think gonna be more then 42 though, like 58-21, gave up 31 to GB and they not exacly juggernaut on O

Yes, 70 would be possible but I think quite unlikely. In interpretting the GB point totals, recognize that the Jesuit QB turned it over inside his own 20 three times on the first three possessions. To their credit, Jesuit did not allow GB to score after one of those turnovers. I think Jesuit will be more challenging for this game potentially. I think Jesuit will be sky high. I am not so sure that very young group of skill players at Folsom are nearly as focused in general. Everything has come so easy to them. The key to beating Folsom is to eliminates the long passes and forces intermediate throws and QB runs. Make the QB throw on the run. If you can do that, I think you got a chance. Its easy to throw the ball up and let your elite athlete go get it.

Its quite another thing to have to make timely, precision passes under pressure. I think that will go very poorly for Folsom...they could be stuck with a bunch of 5 yards stops and little screens. And, while they have two runners of note, those runners are not real big. So, I could see Folsom just trying to get it to any of their speedy guys in space and allow improvisation.

Jesuit better bring some hard hitting at the end of those runs to discourage improvisation. That said, I am not convinced Jesuit can manipulate personnel to match the Folsom speed... like say a Sac High can. We will see that starting the following week.

Last edited:
Venue change because of heat/weather? Seems odd I wonder what folks in Texas, Arizona, etc, would think about this. It's football line up and play.

Yes, 70 would be possible but I think quite unlikely. In interpretting the GB point totals, recognize that the Jesuit QB turned it over inside his own 20 three times on the first three possessions. To their credit, Jesuit did not allow GB to score after one of those turnovers. I think Jesuit will be more challenging for this game potentially. I think Jesuit will be sky high. I am not so sure that very young group of skill players at Folsom are nearly as focused in general. Everything has come so easy to them. The key to beating Folsom is to eliminates the long passes and forces intermediate throws and QB runs. Make the QB throw on the run. If you can do that, I think you got a chance. Its easy to throw the ball up and let your elite athlete go get it.

Its quite another thing to have to make timely, precision passes under pressure. I think that will go very poorly for Folsom...they could be stuck with a bunch of 5 yards stops and little screens. And, while they have two runners of note, those runners are not real big. So, I could see Folsom just trying to get it to any of their speedy guys in space and allow improvisation.

Jesuit better bring some hard hitting at the end of those runs to discourage improvisation. That said, I am not convinced Jesuit can manipulate personnel to match the Folsom speed... like say a Sac High can. We will see that starting the following week.
I agree with your points. And I hope this is a game. Last week sucked. The game was over in the 1st quarter.

Much of the hype for this game was the same as last year. The "galley crew" showed up in droves chanting. That game was over quick too. I wanna see a game!!!!!!!

Great breakdown.

Offensively, I'd like to see Jesuit feed Rutherford and Burkes the ball. According to the stats on maxpreps (I wasn't at the game) they only combined for 21 carries last Friday. Averaging 8.9 yards per carry. Yet Farr threw 20 passes. I've always felt like Blanton gets a little too pass happy for a veer offense. That's fine when you have someone like Isaiah Bailey or Jon Amadi at receiver but I don't think Jesuit has anyone like that this year.

Anyways, if Jesuit can establish the run and eat some clock along with doing what you outlined on defense, maybe this will be a game. Obviously that's a big if haha.

Great breakdown.

Offensively, I'd like to see Jesuit feed Rutherford and Burkes the ball. According to the stats on maxpreps (I wasn't at the game) they only combined for 21 carries last Friday. Averaging 8.9 yards per carry. Yet Farr threw 20 passes. I've always felt like Blanton gets a little too pass happy for a veer offense. That's fine when you have someone like Isaiah Bailey or Jon Amadi at receiver but I don't think Jesuit has anyone like that this year.

Anyways, if Jesuit can establish the run and eat some clock along with doing what you outlined on defense, maybe this will be a game. Obviously that's a big if haha.
They have a great chance if they can do that. IMHO I think Folsom's D is susceptible. Offense.....well that's another story.

Here's to a great game!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT