ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom vs Jesuit...venue change

They have a great chance if they can do that. IMHO I think Folsom's D is susceptible. Offense.....well that's another story.

Here's to a great game!

Yeah I'd be prett surprised if Jesuit can slow down the Folsom offense. Rutherford is probably the only kid that matches up well with all the speed you guys have at WR. And unfortunately he can't cover all those guys haha.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Great breakdown.

Offensively, I'd like to see Jesuit feed Rutherford and Burkes the ball. According to the stats on maxpreps (I wasn't at the game) they only combined for 21 carries last Friday. Averaging 8.9 yards per carry. Yet Farr threw 20 passes. I've always felt like Blanton gets a little too pass happy for a veer offense. That's fine when you have someone like Isaiah Bailey or Jon Amadi at receiver but I don't think Jesuit has anyone like that this year.

Anyways, if Jesuit can establish the run and eat some clock along with doing what you outlined on defense, maybe this will be a game. Obviously that's a big if haha.

I think the team is a running team and totally agree with your comments. The QB should stick with running. He's good at that. If you are intending to throw, I would say that you might want to work on basic QB footwork and QB/receiver coordination. This does not seem to be a strong suit. Left me wondering if the junior QB has better passing fundamentals.

On defense, I'd say look at the Rover from last week carefully. And, if the OLBs can't move fluidly, the are going to get killed. You almost have to replace the OLBs with nickel backs that can tackle well. Burkes needs to be out there on defense. He's perfect on that score.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel when I'm there. The South end of the stadium would definitely benefit from feeling more "cozy" as you put it. I also don't think it's all that easy to get in and out of either. When the main lot is full, there's really no convenient place to park and it's a hassle to park on the other side of Prairie City and walk. I've parked in the lot on the other side of campus and walked through campus, but that's a hassle too.

This is truth. My alma mater says hello. They're still playing on a grass field with the home stands facing the sun for the JV game because 15+ years ago they used to play Saturday afternoon games when the visiting side was looking into the sun. They did get a new track a couple years ago so perhaps there is hope. El Camino and Del Campo also got some nice upgrades recently, but there are a lot of schools that wish they had half of what Folsom has.

Again, let me be clear, I don't think Folsom is a bad venue at all. In fact, it's quite good. It just doesn't have the vibe or feel that other venues have. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I'm surprised they sunk all that $$ into stadium improvements without getting assurances that lights would be in the future. I've heard rumblings that they are still trying to make something happen. Lots of folks have said that it will never happen, but if Malibu High could make it happen despite all the continued opposition, I would think 'lil ol Carmichael could too. They don't have near the $$ to fight it as the residents in Malibu have.

When NU was good, I don't think there was a better venue in NorCal than Hooper Stadium. And this coming from someone that had to face NU back in the day in league. It's just flat out an awesome place to play and to watch a game. The tall pine trees that surround it give it a very cozy, authentic vibe. You really feel like you are in God's country. And that damn horn that sounds each time they score a TD still rings in my ears today.

I know Napa Memorial Stadium is also quite nice. Probably the nicest actual venue in terms of construction. It's absolutely beautiful. But it's still not quite like Hooper Stadium in terms of energy and vibe. I've not yet been to The Corral in Oakdale, but I know it ranks right up there too. And as everyone has mentioned, Golden Eagle Stadium in Loomis is pretty hard to beat on a Friday night. I've seen lots of great games there.

For me, a couple of underrated places are Rocklin's Thunder Stadium -- I like the coziness of how it sits beneath and is surrounded by the rolling green hills -- and Grant Union's Rutherford Stadium, where the stands are situated close to the field with great sight lines and very vocal yet very cool fans.

The Corral is an awesome Stadium with one of the best atmospheres in NorCal... Also, for those of you who have not been there, the sun will be behind you on the visitors stands. The Home side stands face the sun when it's going down... When building the stadium 100 years ago, someone really messed up. So visitors will not be looking towards the sun.

Yes, 70 would be possible but I think quite unlikely. In interpretting the GB point totals, recognize that the Jesuit QB turned it over inside his own 20 three times on the first three possessions. To their credit, Jesuit did not allow GB to score after one of those turnovers. I think Jesuit will be more challenging for this game potentially. I think Jesuit will be sky high. I am not so sure that very young group of skill players at Folsom are nearly as focused in general. Everything has come so easy to them. The key to beating Folsom is to eliminates the long passes and forces intermediate throws and QB runs. Make the QB throw on the run. If you can do that, I think you got a chance. Its easy to throw the ball up and let your elite athlete go get it.

Its quite another thing to have to make timely, precision passes under pressure. I think that will go very poorly for Folsom...they could be stuck with a bunch of 5 yards stops and little screens. And, while they have two runners of note, those runners are not real big. So, I could see Folsom just trying to get it to any of their speedy guys in space and allow improvisation.

Jesuit better bring some hard hitting at the end of those runs to discourage improvisation. That said, I am not convinced Jesuit can manipulate personnel to match the Folsom speed... like say a Sac High can. We will see that starting the following week.

All of your points are valid, but predicated on Jesuit actually practicing these things. We are focused on the venue change for Friday, but it's been hot all week, and those soft rich kids, their whiny parents, and the enabling administration/staff have probably voiced similar concerns since Monday. If Jesuit couldn't get lights for Friday night, I doubt they brought in lights for night sessions, so I bet their practices have either been short and light on contact, or held indoors in an air conditioned facility with ZERO contact. 3 turnovers inside the 20 went for 2 scores for GB. 3 turnovers anywhere on the field vs Folsom will be 7pts each time. Plus their ability to take it to the house on Special Teams. The GB-Jesuit score would have been an even larger spread had the GB QB been more accurate on deep throws. WR were running free all night vs. the Jesuit secondary. Folsom will not miss those opportunities.

They have a great chance if they can do that. IMHO I think Folsom's D is susceptible. Offense.....well that's another story.

Here's to a great game!

I think Folsom's D is better than GB, (we will get a chance to see both go head to head), and they will be more stout vs. that pass-happy "veer offense", yielding less yards, and not turning it over on specials like GB did, which resulted in an easy score for Jesuit.

I agree with your points. And I hope this is a game. Last week sucked. The game was over in the 1st quarter.

Much of the hype for this game was the same as last year. The "galley crew" showed up in droves chanting. That game was over quick too. I wanna see a game!!!!!!!

The Big Blue Machine will show noticeable improvement this week, while the obvious lack of preparation will be evident on the other sideline.

I think Folsom's D is better than GB, (we will get a chance to see both go head to head)

You and I won't agree on that but I do expect Jesuit will have to play out of their heads to win. I was merely putting forth my thoughts on how they could possibly do it. I think Sac High has a better shot at the upset..

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
What's the tuition cost at Jesuit? What's the tuition cost at Folsom? Curious.
Even better. Quality for free. There aren't many that can stack up, except a few SFLers. Something to be proud of.

$14,600 a year isn't much to most of the parent circles here. They just don't need to send their kids to private because of the quality schools in the area.

But to each their own. I imagine if I lived in Carmichael, Arden, Stockton, or Sacramento areas, I would probably send my kids to privates as well.

Since privates don't dominate the landscape like they do in other sections, I have always wondered what the private school parents think of the beautiful, free, foothill schools. Almost like two parallel worlds.

Last edited:
No Friday night lights and hot Saturday weather aside, I don't think this is the case. Jesuit's new stadium is equally as nice as Folsom's. Folsom's venue is nice, but not especially great.

For me, personally, Prairie City Stadium has always felt void of something. I'm not a big fan of the surroundings or the vibe. There are much better venues elsewhere IMO. But I certainly understand your affinity for it. To each their own, I suppose.
Jesuits stadium passes the eye test but the turf they put in is like playing on ice. Our players hated it. I noticed it did not seem to have the pellets in it like most do. Played at capital Christian last week and had NO issues with slipping and sliding on theirs.

Reactions: mistark
I would think if the parents are paying $14,600 a year for each student to attend Jesuit, they would have the "affluence" to build a better stadium/field, including lights for evening games. Smh.

I would think if the parents are paying $14,600 a year for each student to attend Jesuit, they would have the "affluence" to build a better stadium/field, including lights for evening games. Smh.

The stadium is really nice and cost $5M. The playing surface was supposed to prevent some of the health risks that come along with traditional field turf, but obviously the slipping is an issue. I don't understand how they still don't have lights. Hopefully they get lights someday soon, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think it's because they can't afford it though.

$5M and NO LIGHTS!!!? Wow! Could it be the neighbors are blocking them from getting lights? Maybe they will get lights the same time they get girls to attend the school. LOL! Always loved the cheer, "We got girls! We got girls!" when Jesuit hosted St. Mary's. Hoping these 2 schools will renew their contract someday to play each other. Maybe St. Mary's is waiting for lights to be introduced at Jesuit, too? LOL!

The stadium is really nice and cost $5M. The playing surface was supposed to prevent some of the health risks that come along with traditional field turf, but obviously the slipping is an issue. I don't understand how they still don't have lights. Hopefully they get lights someday soon, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think it's because they can't afford it though.
Usually never a money issue. I know its in an older neighborhood some old school residents who have probably been blocking it for years. These are tough to get approved. I don't understand why since the lights would be on for a minimal time each year if it's just football. Maybe what? 5 or 6 games?

$14,600 goes to running the school, teacher salaries, maintenance and facilities, school tech, and a portion to the Chruch or wherever the collection plate on Sunday ends up. The $5mil that went to the stadium renovation was through donations. As for the lights, the opposition is from the Carmichael neighbors and the EPA, (or whatever federal entity governs environment). When a new element is introduced to an environment, an Environmental study needs to be conducted. Add to that civil litigations with EACH neighbor. So the $5mil pot is dried up, now you gotta hit these same folks for more cash. Less red tape for public schools, bc relevant range allows them to piggy back on previously conducted studies.

Jesuits stadium passes the eye test but the turf they put in is like playing on ice. Our players hated it. I noticed it did not seem to have the pellets in it like most do. Played at capital Christian last week and had NO issues with slipping and sliding on theirs.

After watching 2 seasons of play on that field, I concur that something must be wrong with it. If Jesuit chose that surface, it was for a reason. It's an obvious advantage for them, a much needed one due to lack of football talent and good coaching. Rich people always plotting!

$5M and NO LIGHTS!!!? Wow! Could it be the neighbors are blocking them from getting lights? Maybe they will get lights the same time they get girls to attend the school. LOL! Always loved the cheer, "We got girls! We got girls!" when Jesuit hosted St. Mary's. Hoping these 2 schools will renew their contract someday to play each other. Maybe St. Mary's is waiting for lights to be introduced at Jesuit, too? LOL!

One of the best games I've been to was Jesuit at St. Mary's in 2004. I'd love it if they started playing again although it'd probably be a pretty lopsided series right now.

After watching 2 seasons of play on that field, I concur that something must be wrong with it. If Jesuit chose that surface, it was for a reason. It's an obvious advantage for them, a much needed one due to lack of football talent and good coaching. Rich people always plotting!

It's like when Notre Dame used to grow the grass out and flood the field before playing USC to negate the speed advantage the Trojans had haha.

The type of cleats you use on Jesuit's field is very important. By far the worst turf around! We got donated 40 pairs of cleats by a big shoe company and it really helped us.

One of the best games I've been to was Jesuit at St. Mary's in 2004. I'd love it if they started playing again although it'd probably be a pretty lopsided series right now.
2003 game @ Jesuit was even better (maybe because the Rams won) - with Rams backup QB Willie Tuitama leading the comeback victory for the Rams. Jesuit returned the favor in 2004 in another exciting game, in handing the Rams their only defeat before St. Mary's went on to beat NU for the section championship. Good times!

2005 thru 2007 went back and forth with some competitive games, until St. Mary's had lopsided victories in 2008 and 2009, before the series ended. Still a good rivalry, just like the Rams have vs Central Catholic.

Side note: In 2003, my eldest son was on the Rams freshman team with RB Doug Martin (NFL Pro today, whose first high school game resulted in a fumble on the 1 yard line returned 99 yards for TD by Jesuit). His varsity team in 2005 did not do so well, losing 14-28. My youngest son was on the 2007 & 2008 teams, which split victories but appeared in both section championship games, losing to Napa in 2007 and beating Pleasant Grove in 2008. Good times!

It's like when Notre Dame used to grow the grass out and flood the field before playing USC to negate the speed advantage the Trojans had haha.
Yes, 70 would be possible but I think quite unlikely. In interpretting the GB point totals, recognize that the Jesuit QB turned it over inside his own 20 three times on the first three possessions. To their credit, Jesuit did not allow GB to score after one of those turnovers. I think Jesuit will be more challenging for this game potentially. I think Jesuit will be sky high. I am not so sure that very young group of skill players at Folsom are nearly as focused in general. Everything has come so easy to them. The key to beating Folsom is to eliminates the long passes and forces intermediate throws and QB runs. Make the QB throw on the run. If you can do that, I think you got a chance. Its easy to throw the ball up and let your elite athlete go get it.

Its quite another thing to have to make timely, precision passes under pressure. I think that will go very poorly for Folsom...they could be stuck with a bunch of 5 yards stops and little screens. And, while they have two runners of note, those runners are not real big. So, I could see Folsom just trying to get it to any of their speedy guys in space and allow improvisation.

Jesuit better bring some hard hitting at the end of those runs to discourage improvisation. That said, I am not convinced Jesuit can manipulate personnel to match the Folsom speed... like say a Sac High can. We will see that starting the following week.

Another thing that could be effective on shot gun teams is to hit the center frequently and run through the A gap. Sac High found the youngest OL last year and lined their speediest rusher against him. Perhaps Jesuit can do the same. Seems the center is the youngest one.

Last edited:
2003 game @ Jesuit was even better (maybe because the Rams won) - with Rams backup QB Willie Tuitama leading the comeback victory for the Rams. Jesuit returned the favor in 2004 in another exciting game, in handing the Rams their only defeat before St. Mary's went on to beat NU for the section championship. Good times!

2005 thru 2007 went back and forth with some competitive games, until St. Mary's had lopsided victories in 2008 and 2009, before the series ended. Still a good rivalry, just like the Rams have vs Central Catholic.

Side note: In 2003, my eldest son was on the Rams freshman team with RB Doug Martin (NFL Pro today, whose first high school game resulted in a fumble on the 1 yard line returned 99 yards for TD by Jesuit). His varsity team in 2005 did not do so well, losing 14-28. My youngest son was on the 2007 & 2008 teams, which split victories but appeared in both section championship games, losing to Napa in 2007 and beating Pleasant Grove in 2008. Good times!

You're right, that 2003 (my freshman year at Jesuit) game was a great one too. Funny thing is I think Jesuit was expected to win that year and St. Mary's was expected to win in 2004.

You're right, that 2003 (my freshman year at Jesuit) game was a great one too. Funny thing is I think Jesuit was expected to win that year and St. Mary's was expected to win in 2004.
Ah, same class as my nephew (at Jesuit), Ryan McCargar (actually 1st cousin twice removed, his grandma was my 1st cousin and godmother - she passed away last year). Do you know Ryan? He didn't play football. But, he went on to Notre Dame.

Yes! Jesuit was supposed to win 2003 and St. Mary's was supposed to win 2004, with Tuitama, the starting QB.

Also, for those of you who have not been there, the sun will be behind you on the visitors stands. The Home side stands face the sun when it's going down... When building the stadium 100 years ago, someone really messed up. So visitors will not be looking towards the sun.

Well, it might be for the same reason my alma mater did the same thing. Well before the time they installed lights and could play on Friday nights, they played at 1pm on Saturday with the JV game starting at 11am. At that time, the sun is more in the visitors eyes until going overhead. I'm assuming Oakdale might have been the same.

Reactions: playsomeball
Ah, same class as my nephew (at Jesuit), Ryan McCargar (actually 1st cousin twice removed, his grandma was my 1st cousin and godmother - she passed away last year). Do you know Ryan? He didn't play football. But, he went on to Notre Dame.

Yes! Jesuit was supposed to win 2003 and St. Mary's was supposed to win 2004, with Tuitama, the starting QB.

Yeah I do know him. Small world. Hopefully he's doing well, I'm sure he is having gone to Notre Dame haha.

That 2004 season ended up working out alright for the Rams. Jesuit had an undefeated regular season and then lost in the first round of the playoffs against Nevada Union. Opposite of 2003 when Nevada Union had an undefeated regular season and Jesuit beat them in the first round of the playoffs. Both were great games.

Looking back it's pretty crazy how those were first round matchups. Now it seems like there really aren't any great playoff matchups until the semifinals.

Reactions: bulldogmgc

Yeah, I can't speak for the turf. Although it can take some time to break in a new field. But it definitely sounds like something is different with Jesuit's based upon what you're saying.

Joe D is calling the upset....LOL. First faintly negative comment he's ever made about the Folsom team. Wonder if he ever noticed just how wide open those receivers were against Idaho?

Word on the street is that Jesuit will play the Junior at QB. I think that means good things for the passing game for Jesuit.

Interesting. If they're gonna pass as much as they do, they might as well play the better passing QB. I think Farr is athletic enough to play WR too.

Can't wait! This match up is always fun. I'd rather it be close. I wanna see a nice game!

I'm just hoping for a competitive game.

Is the Folsom freshman class down compared to normal? I can't remember the last time Jesuit beat them at any level but they did last night.

Interesting. If they're gonna pass as much as they do, they might as well play the better passing QB. I think Farr is athletic enough to play WR too.

I think he could play just about all of the skill positions as well as helping at the safety position. He was always good on defense when he was younger. To my mind, he ought to focus there. These guys that are 5'10" - 5'11" who have great speed are much better off playing DB or Slot to show what they can do at a position that projects for them at the college level - particularly when they have not been taught QB footwork, etc. I can see a kid who is that size and slower playing QB if they are trained up on QB skills. No future as a DB.

Just look at the Folsom QBs with speed but no height....you have to wonder how they would have faired if they played DB in college. I bet some would be in the NFL now who are not.

Is the Folsom freshman class down compared to normal? I can't remember the last time Jesuit beat them at any level but they did last night.

Yes, way down according to a friend. The local kids are choosing other sports or schools because they don't see an opportunity to play on the varsity football team at Folsom. At the same time, the influx of players from out of state and other areas came slowed way down.

Sutter did very well against Jesuit at all 3 levels at the scrimmage. Jesuits frosh appeared to be down this year so I am surprised that Folsom lost to them

Ehhh they are ok. I haven't followed the frosh since my sons graduated a few years back.

Will you be at the game tonight?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT