• Folsom

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Oak Ridge

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 8, 2017
Folsom vs Oak Ridge

One of the biggest regular season games in the past years, also happens to be the SFL Championship Game. SJS #1 Folsom (9-0) vs #2 Oak Ridge (9-0). There is sure to be a showdown this Friday in El Dorado Hills. To get in the spirit of things and because I’ve meticulously followed both teams the past few seasons, here is my in-depth break down of each team:

Starting with the OL:
Folsom’s two most dominant linemen this season have been the right gaurd ( Sr. Noah Lunday) and the left tackle (Sr. Matt Frost). Both are extremely fast and athletic linemen that excell in pass protection and downfield blocking. There have been few players that present a challenge for these two. Even the mighty Evan Tattersall and Will Craig of Granite Bay were completely shut-down by these two, having 0 pressures and 0 sacks against Lunday and Frost.
Oak Ridge’s front-five is lead by arguably the best lineman in the league, Brian Catchings (Sr.) and the dominant Zach Welch (Jr.) only solidifies the already impressive Oak Ridge OL. Larger, bulkier linemen than the two from Folsom- these two are much more successful run-blockers than their Folsom counterparts.
Both teams have some of the best linemen in the section. Don’t let the lack of offers on Folsom’s front-five deceive you. Offers are given based off of perceived potential- at the moment Frost and Lunday are two very good High School linemen. Because I don’t believe either team has a particularly dominant D-Line, as long as both lines do their job, this game (offensively) should be decided by the skill positions. I don’t think either teams OL gives them a significant advantage.

Next the QB:
Both teams have almost identical QBs as far as play style goes.
I think Bennet (Folsom) has both a better arm and is a better runner; however, Baldachino (OR) has more expirence and (I believe) a higher football IQ.
Bennet seems to be more athletic, make bigger plays, and throw prettier balls. Baldachino seems to make the right desicion more often, limiting sacks and turnovers. I can’t remember watching Bennet throw a ball away this season, instead he scrambles (sometimes for a loss) or tries to force a pass and is intercepted. Although Baldachino has that dual-threat capability, he knows when to throw out of a sack and try again on the next down. Because of this I give a slight QB advantage to OR.

Now for the WR/RB/TE:
This is where Folsom has a major advantage. WR Joe Ngata is arguably the best receiver in the state. Sophomore Elijah Badger is just as fast and equally hard to cover. CJ Hutton and Brandon Rupchock both have big play ability and are serious threats to the OR defense. Folsom’s RB Daniel Ngata is extremely fast and powerful continuing to both run over, and run past defenders. Fullback Mark Weldy and Justin Viega are both extremely powerful and great lead blockers, yet seldom carry the ball. Infact I’m unsure if either has had a carry this season.
OR has top-talent Justin Poerio, who is sure to cause trouble for the Folsom secondary. Although he lacks the size and strength in respect to Ngata, he is a deadly weapon and sure to be a key factor in the game. Austin Jerrard is not to be overlooked, as he has been a nightmare for opposing defenses. Ex-Bulldog Davin Simmons will likely be playing with a chip on his shoulder, which he lowers as he runs through most defenses like a hot-knife through butter. The young Folsom DL will need to be playing their best in order to contain Simmons.
Although both teams have a TON of talent at the offensive skill positions, I think the advantage definitely goes to Folsom. Their receiving corps is one of the best in the state, if not the country.

NOW TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BALL:

DL:
Folsom’s Cruz Lara (Sr.) and Tyler Hardeman (Jr.) have been two of the best preforming D-Linemen this season. Lara has both the speed and strength to beat nearly any tackle in the area. On the inside, Hardeman rarely stays blocked, flying across the field to make tackles for a loss.
Oak Ridge has Austin Jerrard and Eli Otero respectively. Jerrard is a excellent athelete, but wil being going up against probably the best pass-pro OL in the section (having allowed only 5 sacks total this season). Otero is bigger, but not necessarily stronger than Hardeman. I believe Hardeman is more athletic, but I don’t think either teams DL gives them a significant advantage over the other.

Regarding the linebackers:
Folsom’s MLB Ezra Gullewich went down earlier in the season due to a knee injury and hasn’t returned since. Dylan Jorge has played very well, scoring a couple touchdowns off of interceptions. However, without Gullewich I think Folsom has a weak linebacker group this year. Oak Ridge has a defenite advantage with USD bound middle backer Nate Otto leading the group. Although OR may have better backers than Folsom, I’m not confident that they will be able to cover Folsom recievers or get off of blocks. The Folsom LB group should have no problem with coverage, but wil struggle with the run.

Battle of the secondaries:
Again, I think Folsom has a definite advantage. Tanner Ward (Sr.), Brandon Rupchock (Sr.), CJ Hutton (So.), and Richard Cornelius (Sr.) are some of the most athletic defensive backs in the section. Corneilius and Ward are seldom beat, and likely Sac State bound Rupchock is deadly fast and aggressive. I don’t think there is a weak point that OR can target in the Folsom secondary. The same can not be said for OR. Although Justin Poerio is phenomenal, OR needs 4 or 5 Poerios for each one of Folsom’s recievers. Poerio should handle whoever he is covering, but that leaves 3 or 4 of the best recievers in the area on an at best mediocre DB. Folsom could easily target slower, shorter, less athletic DBs like ex-Bulldog Braden Anderson. Anderson, who is making a name for himself at OR, is familiar with what it feels like to be burned by Bulldog recievers, after lining up against them on scout team all last season. The Bulldog DBs shouldn’t have a problem with most of the OR recievers, while the OR recievers will struggle against nearly all of Folsom’s recievers. I watched Rocklin easily throw for nearly 200 yards, a pair of touchdowns, and 0 INT against OR. Friday I watched as Folsom decimated Rocklins passing offense to less than 100 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. The Bulldogs have a definite advantage with their secondary. The Trojans overall weak secondary could be the death of them against a team like Folsom.

OTHER FACTORS:

Home Field Advantage:
My son works for Folsom, and my grandson plays for Oak Ridge. Therefore, I’ve spent plenty of time at both stadiums. Oak Ridge feels like a college, and is a louder, more intimidating place to play. Oak Ridge has a definite homefield advantage.

Depth:
Folsom has hardly any two-way starters. Those who do play both ways, are all part of a rotation to ensure everyone can catch their breath. For example, CJ Hutton and Brandon Rupchock both start at slot receiver and safety. They are hardly ever on the field at the same time. OR is almost entirely two-way starters, and is not a very deep team. The pace of the Folsom offense is something that OR hasn’t seen this season, and something that is very challenging to prepare for. I think Folsom’s tempo, depth, and minimal two-way players gives them a significant advantage over the Trojans. The OR stars will be sucking wind after taking 50 continuous snaps, while most Folsom players won’t have even broken a sweat and are coming fresh of the bench. This will be a major factor in the game.

Weather:
There is rain forecasted on Friday. This could be detrimental for a a traditionally pass-only team, like Folsom. This season, with a dual threat QB and Daniyel Ngata, Folsom’s run-game is equally potent. Even with that in mind, if the rain causes Folsom to have to reach deeper into their playbook, it could provide OR with a slight advatange.
——————————————————————
In Conclusion:
My money is on Folsom. I’m certain they are the more talented football team. When they play to their full potential they are a legitimate State Bowl competitor. However, Oakridge has been the more consistent team this year. Oak ridge continues to beat teams by being more disciplined, conditioned, and consistent. I think we all know that Folsom’s best possible game blows Oak Ridges best possible game out of the water- but what we don’t know is which team (if either) will play their best game. Even though OR is more consistent, Folsom’s inconsistent games against common opponents have been won by a much greater margin than Oak Ridge’s consistent ones (i.e. Del Oro, one of Folsom’s worst performances this season- and they won by 44).

NOTE:
I tried to be as unbiased as possible, but I was also realistic. Realistically, Folsom wins this game by a lot. The beauty of the game of football is that any given Friday (or Saturday) night, any given team can win (Syracuse vs Clemson). I’m more excited for this game than I have been any other game in my sons 9 years at Folsom or sons 3 at Oakridge. On paper, Folsom wins easy, but football isn’t played on paper and Oak Ridge is the only team that they’ve played so far that I feel has a legitimate chance against them. I hope you all appreciate my analysis. Let me know who you think is going to win and why! Any perceived bias, is likely the unfortunate truth.

Reactions: coachlittle
First, Really good overview of this game and both teams. Well done. The one thing I would argue though is Baldachino is definitely the better runner and he's the best QB in the SFL. There isn't a player who makes more broken plays positive ones than him. Bennett is very good and still only a JR but in a game like this I like the SR. Otherwise the huge factor looks to be the weather. Rain and wind forecasted which certainly favors a team like OR. They will gladly run and try and control the line of scrimmage and keep it low scoring.

On paper Folsom wins this game 35-21. (or thereabouts). But with the weather and home field I'm thinking this is going to be a grind it out 17-14 type game. I wouldn't be surprised if OR prevails but Folsom is the favorite no doubt.

The only parts that’s fishy is you when you stated Ngata could be the best wr I know you only know folsom football but it’s someone on mater deis team that might have something to say about that since he is rated the top wr...and the only other complaint would be against trying to belittle the kid that’s went to folsom who Now starts at oak ridge...

I wouldn’t say fishy, I would agree- there are probably better recievers than him, but it isn’t hard to argue that he’s the best. My point was if you make a list of the top five, he’s on there. Regarding the Oak Ridge player, I know it wasn’t cool- I was trying to write an interesting, yet informative overview and threw that drama in there to keep it extra interesting. Thank you for the feed back!

I think NGATA is Alabama good. You can't teach 6"4 with speed. Sky is the limit. So he might no be he best receiver in the state but he will be one of them by next season. He's only a jr. And honestly the kid from Inderkum is probably a little better right now.

I think NGATA is Alabama good. You can't teach 6"4 with speed. Sky is the limit. So he might no be he best receiver in the state but he will be one of them by next season. He's only a jr. And honestly the kid from Inderkum is probably a little better right now.

I think he's open by at least 10 yards on the average route thrown to him. 10 yards...... Just wide open almost all the time.

Well written post. In the rivalry matchups throughout the years between OR and FHS have always seemed to have a clear cut favorite. I am looking forward to going to the game to see a competitive scoreboard. Although Folsom has dominated OR in the last decade, OR will not be intimidated. If they can repeat the 2016 performance + weather and crowd noise, it can be a recipe for a Trojan #1 seed.

The one thing I would argue though is Baldachino is definitely the better runner and he's the best QB in the SFL. There isn't a player who makes more broken plays positive ones than him

I have watched both QBs some, and would like to respectfully disagree.
I have noticed the Folsom Qb going through normal Folsom reads. He is capable of running and breaking away when things break down or when the play is designed to boot out. They have not given up that many sacks this year. Statistics back up his dominance of the SFL.
I think OR has one of the best OL in NorCal with Catchings and the other Jr. O-lineman. The OR QB is not going through reads like Folsom, instead it looks like they throw to matchups-based on the look of the defense. When that first read (matchup) isn't there, OR QB next move is to scramble. That is not great Quarterbacking, thats great playmaking with the ball in your hand.
Although I believe this is a rare and special trait, i would not say it qualifies him as the best Qb in the SFL. He is on the short list of top athletes, but he is not the best at playing his position.

The worse the forecast gets the better I like OR. Weather forecast looks bad. Windy and rainy. This favors the strong O line and running game of OR. I could be wrong but I think OR prevails in a low scoring affair.

If the weather was pleasant I would say better get there by halftime of the JV game. (630pm) However with the rain and wind forecasted I think it will keep some people away. The diehards like me will be out there. I still think it will be close to a full house. These schools are very close so the opposing fans from Folsom will be out in force. That drive from SF on a friday will be murder though..... You must be a diehard as well.

This should be the biggest game in El Dorado County this year. I would like to think coach's past and future who are playing against #4 AND #10 have WATCHED some film this year or watch Fox Channel 40's Final Quarter Friday Night @ 11:00pm. Why do opposing coach's continue to kickoff to and not double team obvious five star player's?

Last edited:
Everyone talking about the weather? Name a time when the weather slowed Folsom down? I remember Folsom whooping EG in driving rain a few years back for a section title. Vacaville got beat like 70+ to Folsom in the rain twice. Their first state bow game in 2010 was steady rain wet field mud etc. The rain (to my recollection) has never once EVER slowed Folsom down. They run the ball and pass the ball effectively no matter the conditions. There’s no evidence to the contrary.

Everyone talking about the weather? Name a time when the weather slowed Folsom down? I remember Folsom whooping EG in driving rain a few years back for a section title. Vacaville got beat like 70+ to Folsom in the rain twice. Their first state bow game in 2010 was steady rain wet field mud etc. The rain (to my recollection) has never once EVER slowed Folsom down. They run the ball and pass the ball effectively no matter the conditions. There’s no evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: dwade27
Those Folsom teams you are referring too were a lot better than the one that will take the field tonight. Heck, those are some of the best teams ever to play football in the history of SJS. It would have taken an act of God to stop that offense. This year not so much. You don't have Browning, Graves, or Trosin back there.

Those Folsom teams you are referring too were a lot better than the one that will take the field tonight. Heck, those are some of the best teams ever to play football in the history of SJS. It would have taken an act of God to stop that offense. This year not so much. You don't have Browning, Graves, or Trosin back there.
But you do have Bennet, with Ngata to throw to. Ngata is already on the list of Folsom greats according to Richardson in a recent interview. Bennet is no Dano or Jake, but he’s a damn good HS quarterback.

Reactions: awood1
I guess we will see in a few hours. I still think its a close game. Don't kick to Ngata!!! Rule #1. Limit the big plays and OR just might pull off the upset.

OR driving. Held Folsom on first drive.
Ball on Folsom 26. Need a score here.
TD oR!!!!! 26 yard pass to #18

7-0

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Ngata bad penalty. Threw football at OR player. Seems like a hot head. 15 yard penalty. Not smart.

21-7. OR fumbled and Folsom capitalizes. Could be over quick if OR doesn't score before half.

I think it is obvious to most hs fb fans who do not root for Folsom that they do have a classless program, always running up scores to pad qb's stats.

I just wish they would play DLS again and have the usual 4-6 td loss (right G61). They will never have my respect in they beef up their schedule.

Lol the games would be a lot more interesting if those sfl schools go out and bring in a couple faster athletes they’ll always be a step behind folsom

Last edited:
Sadly I left. I thought this was the year for OR. No way. 42-21 when I left in the 4th. Too many good skilled players for Folsom and there QB Bennett really out shined Baldachino. Impressive win by Folsom.

What a class less program Folsom is. It's 66-13 in JV game and they are airing it out. I hope somebody gets taken out. Who does that? What message does that teach?

Yeah, spoken like a true authority on class.

Great game with a great atmosphere last night as two heavyweights went toe to toe. As a huge supporter of local HS football, this is all one could ask for. This was the best match up of the year.

My take on the game last night is as follows:

Oak Ridge led 7-0 then trailed 28-7 in quick fashion. It was 42-14 off a defensive touchdown before the Trojans made it respectable late. Folsom seems does this to even the best of teams by seizing on mismatches or mistakes.

Kaiden Bennett, in his first-year starting at quarterback, continued to excel. The junior accounted for five touchdowns, including three scoring strikes to the Ngata brothers. Folsom didn’t allow Oak Ridge star quarterback Marco Baldacchino to dominate as he has much of this season with his arm and burst runs, though he did have touchdown passes of 21 and 62 yards to Austin Jarrard, who also had a 19-yard scoring catch from reserve Cooper Crick in the closing moments.

Bennett hit Joe Ngata for scoring strikes of 21 and 26 yards and Daniyel Ngata for a 14-yarder. Bennett also scored on runs of one and three yards.
But the touchdown that got the crowd most excited was delivered by a backup nose guard.Caleb Freeland scooped up a fumble and rumbled 64 yards for a Bulldogs touchdown amid a full lineman convoy for a 42-14 lead. Highlight of the game here.

I believe when brackets are released Saturday, Folsom will likely lock up the No. 1 seed for the section Division I playoffs that start next week, and Oak Ridge likely will earn the No. 3 seed behind St. Mary’s of Stockton.

Folsom victories this season include:
- Coeur d’Alene, ranked fourth in Idaho, 56-33 after it was 56-8 at the half.
- Unbeaten Delta League champion Jesuit 55-9 when the Marauders were Bee-ranked third.
- Modesto Bee No. 1 Oakdale 45-29 on the road, a victory that has added meaning after Oakdale beat undefeated Central Catholic of Modesto 27-21 on Friday.
- No. 5 Granite Bay 35-14 and No. 7 Rocklin 46-3.

Folsom and Oak Ridge could meet again in the section finals. Don't sleep on this match up. This could be a stellar section final.

Last edited:
Folsom beat nobody, except for Oakdale.A very weak schedule. they need to step up and play DLS in regular season, and one of the So Ca powers. Very weak schedule.
Streak, why are accounts being deleted for no reason at all? No trolling? Just for being in support of Folsom? While the above account is allowed to troll and others just come to troll on one program and are NOT banned?

Please clarify. It sounds like discrimination on one program because of their success. That is not fair to their fans or kids. These forums are already getting bad. I hope people are not being discriminated against for voicing their opinions on their programs while others simply come on the forum to troll one program.

Thank you.

Folsom beat nobody, except for Oakdale.A very weak schedule. they need to step up and play DLS in regular season, and one of the So Ca powers. Very weak schedule.

They definetly need to try to find a way of scheduling DLS in the preseason it would be great. But idk why it doesn’t happen, maybe because of the two blowouts that happened the only time these two met. If they would have been much closer games I think we would have seen both teams wanting to play each other every year.

Folsom is quite improved since the beginning of the season and last year. I was very impressed with Bennett. He is a lot better than people are giving him credit for. His speed last night on broken plays and passing touch was amazing. OR was way overmatched to be honest. The NGATA brothers are incredible. Def one of the better wideout prospects I've seen from around here. As much as I wished it would be a good game you could see the difference on the field immediately. I'm not sure there is a team outside of DLS that could play with Folsom for a full game this year in Norcal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT