ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom vs Serra Gardena?

Jfoyosoul

Superstar
Aug 21, 2015
I saw on Maxpreps that Folsom is playing Serra Gardena this year and not Serra San Mateo. I was under the impression Folsom was playing Serra SM but when you look at the logo on Folsom’s schedule and click the link, it shows Serra Gardena and their schedule shows Folsom as well.

Does anybody know which Serra Folsom is playing? How strong is either Serra expected to be this year?

Thanks!

I saw on Maxpreps that Folsom is playing Serra Gardena this year and not Serra San Mateo. I was under the impression Folsom was playing Serra SM but when you look at the logo on Folsom’s schedule and click the link, it shows Serra Gardena and their schedule shows Folsom as well.

Does anybody know which Serra Folsom is playing? How strong is either Serra expected to be this year?

Thanks!
There are several schools named Serra in CA - easy for an error. Serra of San Mateo has Folsom as their first game of the year in an unofficial WCAL schedule. Serra will be in a building year.

As I state once again my wish... C'mon, schools! Use a little imagination in the names!

For example, Valley Christian, if they wanted to do just a little bit of out-of-state travel, they could fill their entire schedule with games against Valley Christian. Same with St. Mary's and all the other common saints... and manyy others, like copapss directions. I mean... Name your school after, say, a local tree, a nearby street if the one you're on is too common, a city founder, a county founder, SOMETHING... Just put a little thought into it... try to use a lil originality.

Anyway... I would have to think Folsom is playing the Serra in San Mateo.

Yet, they do better than any other comprehensive high-school sports site. All the others I've seen are train wrecks.

Like SBLive, for example... What a friggin' mess.

Thank you for clarifying..I thought it was Serra SM. Still hoping Folsom schedules a true national power one of these days…maybe Ryder Lyon’s senior year lol

This should have been a clue that there was a chance of a mistake. Maxpreps is notorious for a lack for fact checking and
misinformation.

I wouldn’t consider it any of the things you listed.

Maxpreps is crowd-sourced wrt team schedules, scores, rosters, stats, etc.. And there are, what, 10,000+ high schools across the Nation, many with a multitude of different sports to be documented.

The Maxpreps staff can’t possibly fact check everything, let alone very quickly.

IMO the head coaches for all these school/programs need to do a better job helping out. Some do a great job, others not so much.

Some may argue that it isn’t the coaching staff’s responsibility, but I disagree. The staff owes it to their players/schools to keep accurate stats.

Back during my playing days our coaches kept stats manually (on paper) and usually had a student helper or two to assist during games. Had they had access to a site like maxpreps — it would have made the processes so much easier. IMO, having a site like maxpreps at their disposal gives them no excuse. Even if they can’t or don’t want to do it themselves, they can ensure it is delegated appropriately.

Still hoping Folsom schedules a true national power one of these days…maybe Ryder Lyon’s senior year lol
Based on their historical track record, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon. But you do have to admit they are scheduling much better under Doherty than under Richardson.

Based on their historical track record, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon. But you do have to admit they are scheduling much better under Doherty than under Richardson.

Doherty is nowhere near the level of HS coach that Taylor and Richardson were nor has he ever shown the ability to built up a juggernaut dynasty program from scratch as they did — but he has undoubtedly challenged the teams he’s coached at Folsom far more than his predecessors did. The proof is in the pudding when comparing the non-league schedules between the two different eras.

Several years ago in the preseason Maxpreps had Turlock scheduled against a team in the midwest, Wisconson or Michigan, don't remember exactly. The high school name was the same as who they were actually playing and needless to say they did not travel back there.

Reactions: bella123
There have been a few times I've seen where a basketball team was scheduled against two same-named teams at the same time. :)

Reactions: bella123
Several years ago in the preseason Maxpreps had Turlock scheduled against a team in the midwest, Wisconson or Michigan, don't remember exactly. The high school name was the same as who they were actually playing and needless to say they did not travel back there.

There have been a few times I've seen where a basketball team was scheduled against two same-named teams at the same time. :)
That is my point. Ive seen football teams shown to be playing two different teams on the same day at two different locations. And sometimes they are both wrong 😂 .

Also scores listed inaccurately showing one team winning and the next day the score is opposite and confirmed to be wrong.

I don’t ever look at the stats and usually just look at it for football games schedules and results. It just seems that weekly I will see several mistakes. Since it doesn’t cost anything, its not that bad and the price is right.

Thank you for clarifying..I thought it was Serra SM. Still hoping Folsom schedules a true national power one of these days…maybe Ryder Lyon’s senior year lol
Folsom appears loaded the next 2 years. Win NorCal Open and it will be playing a true national power.

Folsom appears loaded the next 2 years. Win NorCal Open and it will be playing a true national power.
Agree with TR. But keep in mind Taylor and RIchardson were essentially college coaches at the HS level. It wasn't fair especially added with their talent.

This is Folsom's year. If they don't go to Open it will be a major disappointment.

Reactions: THEOC89
This happens to me all the time between the two schools in menlo park, and the two sacred heart high schools in the bay area. To many schools with the same or similar names.

Yeah, couldn't one of the Sacred Hearts go with some new name? rename after their most-loved faculty member or something?

And the Valley Christians... at least 15 nationwide, none of those have any imagination??

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
Agree with TR. But keep in mind Taylor and RIchardson were essentially college coaches at the HS level. It wasn't fair especially added with their talent.

This is Folsom's year. If they don't go to Open it will be a major disappointment.
Yeah, they were good coaches. And they were great strategists when it came to scheduling. They protected their own reputation and the mystic of Folsom dynasty by carefully scheduling. Even when they met their playoff roadblock of DLS, they were able to, through influence, find a way to win.

I personally wished they would have scheduled deeper during their best years, but they did what was best for their team. And that is one of the key signs of great coaching.

Last edited:
And the Valley Christians... at least 15 nationwide, none of those have any imagination??
At least... There are 4 in CA alone. And if you scan all the schools having Valley Christian as a part of their name, there might closer to 50 schools nationwide.

yeah, I give those partial matches a pass... Sort of. I mean, it's much less easy to confuse, say, Valley Christian and Napa Valley Christian.

Reactions: FBAddict
The game has now been updated, showing Serra SM on 8/30…their full schedule is now out on Maxpreps

As I state once again my wish... C'mon, schools! Use a little imagination in the names!

For example, Valley Christian, if they wanted to do just a little bit of out-of-state travel, they could fill their entire schedule with games against Valley Christian. Same with St. Mary's and all the other common saints... and manyy others, like copapss directions. I mean... Name your school after, say, a local tree, a nearby street if the one you're on is too common, a city founder, a county founder, SOMETHING... Just put a little thought into it... try to use a lil originality.

Anyway... I would have to think Folsom is playing the Serra in San Mateo.
To your point….. The Perfect Game Baseball poll had Valley Christian -Dubin Ranked #17 in the Country when they were 0-7….. 🤣

Obviously it was supposed to be VC in San Jose…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT