ADVERTISEMENT

Football reality check

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
The scope of the loss of life, property damage and environmental chaos caused by the ongoing fires in the North Coast Section dwarfs any concerns about CIF football playoffs. It would not be out of the question to have the CIF examine the NCS situation and cancel the 2017 football playoffs in NorCal altogether. That would halt bowl games as well. It's probably unlikely. However, if the fires/smoke persist (and spread) and continue to intrude on games and practices, a NorCal cancellation would not be a surprise. What's happening in places like Santa Rosa, Calistoga, etc. is historic. It's like a war zone. Just look at what's left of Cardinal Newman HS.

The scope of the loss of life, property damage and environmental chaos caused by the ongoing fires in the North Coast Section dwarfs any concerns about CIF football playoffs. It would not be out of the question to have the CIF examine the NCS situation and cancel the 2017 football playoffs in NorCal altogether. That would halt bowl games as well. It's probably unlikely. However, if the fires/smoke persist (and spread) and continue to intrude on games and practices, a NorCal cancellation would not be a surprise. What's happening in places like Santa Rosa, Calistoga, etc. is historic. It's like a war zone. Just look at what's left of Cardinal Newman HS.
I agree this is a tragic situation that has occurred in North Bay and real life does dwarf CIF football..however getting back to some level of normalcy is therapeutic and I would bet especially at a place that was devasted like Newman, they will be first ones back on field. Not because football is that important but re-establishing a resemblance of life as it was, is critical to helping everyone heal. I cant imagine what the people in this area are going through but I do know when life punches you in the gut, the only way to stay on your feet is to punch back and be resilient, even in face of tragedy.

Reactions: Rmbr26
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT