ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SCOREBOARD: WEEK 2

MaxPreps has Vanden beating Campolindo 23-7
WHAT a Surprise Vanden beating Campolindo 23-7, The Vikings lost a lot of seniors, but got a returning
QB plus the JV team did not bring enough that was thought to beef up the varisty...

WHAT a Surprise Vanden beating Campolindo 23-7, The Vikings lost a lot of seniors, but got a returning
QB plus the JV team did not bring enough that was thought to beef up the varisty...
I was surprised by this score as well, Campo is usually very competitive for a smaller program

Folsom misses a short field goal, but still leads Serra 21-13

As soon as I saw that happen, I had a very strong feeling that would come back to haunt them -- and of course it did.

Folsom still had their opportunities but just couldn’t capitalize, whereas Serra did.

Serra ran the ball down Folsom's throat when it counted most and Folsom couldn't stop it. That last drive after the onside kick was like watching a python constrict its prey. You just knew what the end result was going to be with the victim powerless to stop the inevitable.

Even had Folsom made that short FG to hold a 24-19 lead near at the end, I'm not sure they stop Serra from scoring a TD if that's what was needed.

Last play of the game it looked like #18 Taniela Tupou really had a shot at that ball in the end zone but didn't or couldn't high point it for whatever reason. It was super close!

Serra playing so much smarter…if Folsom loses, just look in the mirror. 2 min to go, Padres on the Bulldogs 43
Sheesh

Congrats to Serra, but watching this game, I’m not sure how Folsom loses. Just not prepared. That onside kick was embarrasing
I wouldn't say Folsom is coached very well. They weren't prepared for obvious situations; onside kick, Serra running game, chip shot field goal. Seemed like the coach thought the athletes would get it done for him.

I've been saying for a quite while that Paul Doherty is vastly overrated by many on this site. I'm not saying or suggesting that he's a bad coach by any means, just that he's nowhere near one of the better coaches in the area. He inherited a ready-made elite program, similar to Justin Alumbaugh at DLS and (even longer ago) Max Miller at Cordova. Not one of the three could have built it themselves.

I give Doherty a lot of credit for drastically stepping up Folsom's scheduling (and deservedly so), but in terms of being an upper-tier coach -- you see signs that he's not whenever Folsom faces a team at or near their level but with better coaching on the other sideline.

BTW, props to Serra for their gutsy 'W' tonight. I don't think they were the better team talent-wise, but they sure earned it with their clutch play.

Reactions: ChewpaMiverga
Wow!!… Didn’t see the game but Congrats to Coach Walsh and the kids from Serra!!…

The Padres just planted their flag and said we are the kings or Nor Cal and don’t anyone forget it!… 🤣💪👏

I didn't see the entire game either, but plan to re-watch it on demand.

I had to take my wife to the airport tonight for a 9:30pm flight so I was catching bits and pieces here and there. While my wife drove, I watched the beginning of the Grant-DLS and Rocklin-Bishop Manogue games at 7:30. I did get to see most the 2nd half of the Folsom-Serra game once I returned home but was distracted by the other games I had streaming at the same time.

I'm crazy like that 😂

I had to take my wife to the airport tonight for a 9:30pm flight so I was catching bits and pieces here and there. While my wife drove, I watched the beginning of the Grant-DLS and Rocklin-Bishop Manogue games at 7:30. I did get to see most the 2nd half of the Folsom-Serra game once I returned home but was distracted by the other games I had streaming at the same time.

I'm crazy like that 😂
You made your wife drive 😆 ? And they say chivalry is dead in 2024! 🤣

I'm crazy like that 😂
HA!… That’s why you are Da Man!… 🤣

I am still trying to Grasp how I was so quick to start discussing who would beat Serra worse. Folsom or SJB…. 🤣🤣

I way underestimated Serra,…. I am truly shocked though that Folsom lost… I thought they were hands down the best team in Nor Cal this year….

Yeah i am quite surprised. I thought this was supposed to be Folsom's year. I bought into the hype as well. My opinion on Folsom is that they play to arrogant. 4th and something, the ball is on your 3 yard line and you don't punt. Lyons runs and gets stopped way short of the first and then Serra has the ball on the 20 and scores a couple of plays later. to go up 13-0.

I guess Serra is better than we thought, at least better than I thought. Folsom will be fine, a long season,

Time to face the facts. Serra of the past few years is very DLS-like in terms of discipline and physicality, especially on defense. And that has always been Folsom's Achilles heel. Hell, it's the Achilles heel for most high school programs, so no real knock on Folsom.

But they are 2-10 all-time against both those programs now. Furthermore, when Rocklin waxed Folsom in 2021 then played close games in 2022 and 2023, the Thunder fielded teams "similar" to DLS and Serra in that they were discipline and physical on the defensive side of the ball. Same applies to Monterey Trail in 2019.

When Folsom's talent advantage (if there is one) is neutralized, preparation and coaching can beat them.

Folsom's had a few teams where they had the physicality and discipline advantage on most the teams teams they faced (2014, 2015, 2018) but the vast majority of the time they've largely relied upon the talent disparity.

I am truly shocked though that Folsom lost… I thought they were hands down the best team in Nor Cal this year….

They still might be. It's a long season and a lot can happen. We've seen many instances over the years where a team loses a big game early in the season but still ends up being the one that wins out at the end. Hell, Folsom kinda sort of did it a few years ago after losing to DLS, Rocklin and Granite Bay only to turn things around by beating Rocklin in the Section Final and DLS in the Regional. And they did the same thing to Grant Union in 2010.

They'll need Serra to lose at some point, and maybe twice, but anything is possible. The game was close enough that it might not carry as much weight if Folsom can rebound and be more dominant. Who knows. They'll definitely be hurt by not facing DLS in the regular season.

Circling back to tonight's game, Folsom and Serra have played 3 super tight games the past 3 seasons. The three games have been decided by a total of 13 points. While Serra has gotten the better of the match up as evidence by their 3-0 record, it's pretty clear these teams are very evenly matched.

You made your wife drive 😆 ? And they say chivalry is dead in 2024! 🤣

LMFAO. She volunteered.

Actually, because she knew I wanted to watch these games, she asked me to ask my dad to take her. But I wasn't going to do that. So she chose to drive so I could multitask. lol.

Under normal circumstances we both would have been out at Rocklin tonight for the Bishop game. She was actually quite bummed to be missing Friday night lights, and is hopeful to be back in time for next week's game against Lincoln. We shall see.

Chewy’s opinions for the evening:

- I believed Serra would make it a dog fight and they did! In the end, they came out on top.
- I believe styles make fights and for that reason, I was sure McClymonds would make it a game. I didn’t have them winning the cards only to get knocked out cold late in the 12th but Riordan likes to throw the ball around and Mack usually carries one of the more athletic and more physical secondaries around.
- De La Salle looked very good against a great, not elite program. They play a style of football that is hard to beat and to an extent that is why Walsh, a DLS alum, has given them problems as of late. However, Serra has aged themselves out and I believe Sparty reclaims the flag here soon.
- St. Francis is physically and due to their style of play, will have a much easier time with McClymonds next week than Riordan did tonight. Again, means nothing for the sake of Franny and Riordan.

Sheesh

Congrats to Serra, but watching this game, I’m not sure how Folsom loses. Just not prepared. That onside kick was embarrasing
Here's a stat that needs to be recognized.

Serra has played 6 halves (3 full games) against Folsom. The vaunted Bulldog offense has been shut out in 3 of those halves.

The Padres and Coach Walsh deserve their due.

Yup Folsom blew it when they went for the fg on the Serra 2 yard line and missed. Serra was able to run behind that big o line and wore Folsom’s down.
Hindsight being 20/20, the FG was probably the right call. The kicker just had a wicked angle. He only missed by about a foot.

Serra defense was physical as usual. St Francis looked good against Helix though not sure if this is strong Helix team. DLS looks good. Young Deuce Jones-Drew (2027) is going to be a terror for teams. Has his fathers speed.
DLS has the same problem they've had for the last several years. I don't suspect Serra loses to them next week.

Only 5 of the (around) 33 posters picked Vanden in the Pick'em. As crowdsourcing goes, this was a big upset.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Only 5 of the (around) 33 posters picked Vanden in the Pick'em. As crowdsourcing goes, this was a big upset.
I didn’t do a count, but how many picked Riordan? Are we counting that an upset or a phenomenal come back,… the boys on the old Phelan ave grew up in front of are eyes🏈🌈🤙🏿

No flag needed to be planted,…”:Riordan just stated:

#WeRcoming😵‍💫🤣🤣🤣
#Rwinslocal

Last edited:
Something that’s been under discussed here re: Folsom v Serra - What in the world was going on with Folsom going for it on “4th and ALOT” from their own 3yard line, already down 7-0? That led to an easy score for Serra. Was Lyons gonna pooch kick and couldn’t due to the quick pressure? Or was it’s Dougherty’s “Ode to Troy Taylor”? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: THEOC89
I didn’t do a count, but how many picked Riordan? Are we counting that an upset or a phenomenal come back,… the boys on the old Phelan ave grew up in front of are eyes🏈🌈🤙🏿

#WeRcoming😵‍💫🤣🤣🤣
#Rwinslocal

Against a 30 man McClymonds football team???

What a statement. :(

#WeRcoming😵‍💫🤣🤣🤣
#Rwinslocal

Upset? Wtf you talking about? You should have beaten them 2 scores minimum with 10 D1 players and way more numbers than Mack

#WeRcoming😵‍💫🤣🤣🤣
#Rwinslocal
The Crusaders were overwhelming favorites by nearly the same ratio as Campo.

Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers

#WeRcoming😵‍💫🤣🤣🤣
#Rwinslocal
C'mon man, gotta follow Coach Adhir's creed and stay humble. That Mack roster although small is made up of all ballers. Much respect was given by the Crusader Coaching staff. Riordan had to adjust to game speed and Mack's physicality as they did not scrimmage last week. Schedule only gets tougher going down to SoCal to play CA runner up to Folsom last year in St. Bonaventure and then on the road @ Pitt. We shall see how this team shapes up as it gears up for WCAL. Serra and St. Francis are the last 2 games on Riordan's schedule. Staying healthy and continued development will be key.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Upset? Wtf you talking about? You should have beaten them 2 scores minimum with 10 D1 players and way more numbers than Mack
@MC415 Marin Catholic playing today? Should be a warm one in Marin. Good luck. Please share your game thoughts if you are going.

#WeRcoming😵‍💫🤣🤣🤣
#Rwinslocal
SFcityfan- You are undoubtedly a Riordan super fan, which is awesome. I always appreciate your enthusiasm and support of the program. Every win should be celebrated, so cudos to the team for pulling out the victory…but “Upset or phenomenal comeback”??? Taking into consideration-
Riordan
Per Max Preps…
CA Rank: 34
NorCal Rank: 7
SF Metro Rank: 4
CCS Rank: 2
Roster: 51 Players
McClymonds
Per Max Preps…
CA Rank: 275
NorCal Rank: 91
SF Metro Rank: 38
CCS Rank: 20 Approx. Equivalent
Roster: 33 Players
***yes, I had a little time on my hands this morning:))

Most of those participating in the Pick’m went with Riordan…as the above numbers justify those picks. But, with all of the pre-season hype and number of young men with well-deserved D1 offers & commits, I think most would agree that this game was nothing close to an “Upset or phenomenal comeback”. Give Riordan credit for the come from behind victory, but having to comeback from a 14 pt deficit and needing a 2pt conversion with under a minute left maybe tells us we should wait a few games before getting too wrapped up in rankings and hype (Serra victory last night probably another good example). Before you deem me a hater, please know that I am a huge WCAL fan and cheer for every WCAL team during the non-league games. Riordan may very well end up being the most talented and successful team in the WCAL and maybe even beyond…but I’m a big proponent of letting everyone play a few games before we get ahead of ourselves. I love the excitement, the passion for HS football that everyone here brings to the table and all opinions shared. Keep bringing them. Just thought I’d share my own.

Great football and good health to all!

SFcityfan- You are undoubtedly a Riordan super fan, which is awesome. I always appreciate your enthusiasm and support of the program. Every win should be celebrated, so cudos to the team for pulling out the victory…but “Upset or phenomenal comeback”??? Taking into consideration-
Riordan
Per Max Preps…
McClymonds
Per Max Preps…

Most of those participating in the Pick’m went with Riordan…as the above numbers justify those picks. But, with all of the pre-season hype and number of young men with well-deserved D1 offers & commits, I think most would agree that this game was nothing close to an “Upset or phenomenal comeback”. Give Riordan credit for the come from behind victory, but having to comeback from a 14 pt deficit and needing a 2pt conversion with under a minute left maybe tells us we should wait a few games before getting too wrapped up in rankings and hype (Serra victory last night probably another good example). Before you deem me a hater, please know that I am a huge WCAL fan and cheer for every WCAL team during the non-league games. Riordan may very well end up being the most talented and successful team in the WCAL and maybe even beyond…but I’m a big proponent of letting everyone play a few games before we get ahead of ourselves. I love the excitement, the passion for HS football that everyone here brings to the table and all opinions shared. Keep bringing them. Just thought I’d share my own.

Well put.

@MC415 Marin Catholic playing today? Should be a warm one in Marin. Good luck. Please share your game thoughts if you are going.
I live San Jose with a little kids too busy, but I think Indy will overwhelm on the edges…….MC doesn’t have a quality RB so they will be super dependent on the passing game, and I don’t see it working out with Caden he’s got Jimmy G legs so when he is pressured he takes huge sacks or throws picks against quality teams, MC loses a close one to Indy who just overwhelms them in the 4th

Riordan
Per Max Preps…
McClymonds
Per Max Preps…

Well put. Mack going up against St. Francis and SRV will be a good indicator on how good they really are.

Reactions: THEOC89
Cole scores on a keeper after a Marin Catholic turnover to give Inderkum a 6-0 lead

Marin Catholic was driving but Afsharipour takes a big hit and is intercepted by Chouteau

Riordan
Per Max Preps…
McClymonds
Per Max Preps…

Name me the 20 CCS teams better than McClymonds.

All the number you’re throwing out are subjective. 38th in the SF Metropolitan Area yet 49ers Cal-Hi had them as #6 going into the game.

Please do tell me which 20 teams in the CCS are beating McClymonds as I’m curious to know.

Something that’s been under discussed here re: Folsom v Serra - What in the world was going on with Folsom going for it on “4th and ALOT” from their own 3yard line, already down 7-0? That led to an easy score for Serra. Was Lyons gonna pooch kick and couldn’t due to the quick pressure? Or was it’s Dougherty’s “Ode to Troy Taylor”? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Lyons took a huge hit on play before. I wondered if he knew what he was doing. He almost got tackled in the end zone.

Name me the 20 CCS teams better than McClymonds.

All the number you’re throwing out are subjective. 38th in the SF Metropolitan Area yet 49ers Cal-Hi had them as #6 going into the game.

Please do tell me which 20 teams in the CCS are beating McClymonds as I’m curious to know.
I would even say name me 20 in the Bay Area better than Mack

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT