ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman in Nor Cal

Jumper3

Superstar
Oct 7, 2019
Jalen Lewis (Bishop O’dowd) or Varick Lewis (Monterey Trails)

Varick is a holdback, but a great talent. Jalen is a true Freshman who looks like will be at least 6-10, and probably a stretch four. He's good!

Jalen Lewis (Bishop O’dowd) or Varick Lewis (Monterey Trails)

Varick is a holdback, but a great talent. Jalen is a true Freshman who looks like will be at least 6-10, and probably a stretch four. He's good!
Grant and Inderkum each have a very good freshman. Dont know their names but they will be very special.

Siraj Saker (Urban) 6'4 Freshman F/C.....Going to play a big role for their team this year.

Joey Kennedy (University) 6'5 Freshman Forward who can shoot the ball with the best of them.

Josiah Johnson (Sheldon) 5'10 Guard....Not starting for Sheldon but still pretty fantastic to make that varsity team as a freshman!

Ryan Beasley of Dougherty Valley. Already one of the best point guards in the area and just a freshman.

Reactions: Jumper3
Darius Smith of Modesto Christian looks like real baller... 6’2” 190, thick strong agile... One to watch.

Siraj Saker (Urban) 6'4 Freshman F/C.....Going to play a big role for their team this year.

Joey Kennedy (University) 6'5 Freshman Forward who can shoot the ball with the best of them.

Josiah Johnson (Sheldon) 5'10 Guard....Not starting for Sheldon but still pretty fantastic to make that varsity team as a freshman!
if he is playing center at 6'4 he doesnt have a bright future

Darius Smith of Modesto Christian looks like real baller... 6’2” 190, thick strong agile... One to watch.

Kody Weary from Weston Ranch made an impression on me at Gridley. Looking forward to seeing how this young man develops his game.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: kiddman32
Kody Weary from Weston Ranch made an impression on me at Gridley. Looking forward to seeing how this young man develops his game.

Here's wishing you great hoops

I would second Kody Weary. Saw him at the Fall showcase Simply Basketball had and then again during HS season. Game seems slow for and he makes a lot of plays without the ball

Courtney Anderson Jr. At salesian. Neither him or Jalen Lewis at Odowd, top 2023 players. Another young big at Grant has a chance. These are top players and legit. No holdbacks.

He’s probably more of a forward, but at 6’4 and only a freshman he could easily grow to 6’7-6’8 and be a center.
6'7 or 6'8 will be tough to be a 5 too... i really hope he is working on his ball handling and shooting. that makes the difference between ucla and cal st east bay when you are a 6'8 center

6'7 or 6'8 will be tough to be a 5 too... i really hope he is working on his ball handling and shooting. that makes the difference between ucla and cal st east bay when you are a 6'8 center

It's so clear that no one is trying to debate how tall centers should be for college and just that a talented kid exists who plays at Urban.

Reactions: damim

I watched Sheldon vs Franklin last night. JJ isn't 5-10, and 2-year hold back. But I don't care about that. Just giving facts.

Reactions: OtherBrotha
Courtney Anderson Jr. At salesian. Neither him or Jalen Lewis at Odowd, top 2023 players. Another young big at Grant has a chance. These are top players and legit. No holdbacks.
I've watched the Freshman (hold back) at Grant. Zero motor. Zero!!! And he's not better than Varick in Sacramento.

I've watched the Freshman (hold back) at Grant. Zero motor. Zero!!! And he's not better than Varick in Sacramento.

Varick is having the better season out of all the freshmen in the SJS and it’s not close. Can’t really compare to the Bay Area guys b/c I haven’t seen them

Varick is having the better season out of all the freshmen in the SJS and it’s not close. Can’t really compare to the Bay Area guys b/c I haven’t seen them

My opinion the strength of schedule plays a big part when your evaluating ? And the high school program they play for ? The players listed is the players I’ve seen play.... Very impressive!

Jalen Lewis Bishop O’Dowd (starter)
Verick Lewis Monterey Trails (starter)
Kodey Weary Weston Ranch. (starter)
Ryan Beasley. Dougherty Valley (starter)
King Jhssani-Wilhite St. Ignatius (starter)
Courtney. Anderson. Salesian (reserve)
Logan Robeson Campolindo (reserve)
Darius. Smith Modesto Christian (reserve)

Only one of those guys on this list was invited to the USA 15 u basketball tryout. Courtney Anderson. And he played well. He was the right age and grade. He might have the most upside of everyone on this list....

My opinion the strength of schedule plays a big part when your evaluating ? And the high school program they play for ? The players listed is the players I’ve seen play.... Very impressive!

Only one of those guys on this list was invited to the USA 15 u basketball tryout. Courtney Anderson. And he played well. He was the right age and grade. He might have the most upside of everyone on this list....

Nothing wrong with talking about who is the best frosh now but to me I am always looking at who will be the best in 3-4 years. Who has a frame that can grow more and a skill set that has room for improvement. Quite a few of those frosh listed are physically peaked out already.

Reactions: WM483 and bballpeep

Jumper3

I disagree 100% Jalen Lewis have the most upside right now.
But I was only responding to your post Nor Cal 2023 my opinion the kids I listed have adjusted very well to high school play?
Not who is a hold back or who got invited to the 15U USA tryouts?
Have you seen any of the players listed besides
Jalen Lewis
Verick Lewis
Courtney Anderson

yes. I am talking about upside. Not who is the best now. Projecting. Down the road. And I have seen all of them.

Jumper3

I disagree 100% Jalen Lewis have the most upside right now.
But I was only responding to your post Nor Cal 2023 my opinion the kids I listed have adjusted very well to high school play?
Not who is a hold back or who got invited to the 15U USA tryouts?
Have you seen any of the players listed besides
Jalen Lewis
Verick Lewis
Courtney Anderson

What is the deal with the hold back approach. Guessing it is a newer angle, but gaining popularity from talk around the water cooler. Apparently Wilhite is a hold back. From my old man mind I’d think you’d want to play up to challenge your skills. Can anyone explain to a guy of get off my lawn vintage.

It gives you an advantage early on. A boost. Its not new. They been doing it back east and in south for years. LA has been doing it as welI. Look at Cassius Stanley. He is a 20 year old freshmen at Duke.

In the end everything evens out. When you look at birthdates you realize certain guys aren't as good as advertised. They were just bigger and stronger then everyone else.

That's why Team USA looks at birth certificates. When picking teams. Not grade level. All these guys leaving high school early to go to college are hold backs.

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
Shabazz Muhammad & Trevon Duval are great holdback examples. #1 player in hs only to find out they were a full year older than everyone in their class. Its like the 15y/o kid playing 13s in aau. He should dominate, physically more mature. Once they face kids their own age. They go from great to good. Big advantage

Last night I got a chance to watch University's Joey Kennedy. Freshman...and a very thick 6'5. Pretty mobile for his height....can shoot the ball pretty well, and was impressed with his defense and rebounding. Hes currently coming off the bench as a 6th or 7th man...but I wouldnt be surprised if he is starting by the end of the year. Has a very good shot at being a D1 player. Best freshman to join the BCL West since Nigel Burris.

Kind of reminds me a little bit of Begovich who went to SI.

Shabazz Muhammad & Trevon Duval are great holdback examples. #1 player in hs only to find out they were a full year older than everyone in their class. Its like the 15y/o kid playing 13s in aau. He should dominate, physically more mature. Once they face kids their own age. They go from great to good. Big advantage
It doesnt matter once you get to college as you are playing against your own age and older anyway.
Shabazz just cant shoot well. You cant blow by everyone in the league so you have to be able to shoot if you play the 3. He is in China doing well though

What is the deal with the hold back approach. Guessing it is a newer angle, but gaining popularity from talk around the water cooler. Apparently Wilhite is a hold back. From my old man mind I’d think you’d want to play up to challenge your skills. Can anyone explain to a guy of get off my lawn vintage.
It helps the kids who will graduate at 17. They start before the kids with late birthdays so parents assume they are at a disadvantage.

It gives you an advantage early on. A boost. Its not new. They been doing it back east and in south for years. LA has been doing it as welI. Look at Cassius Stanley. He is a 20 year old freshmen at Duke.

In the end everything evens out. When you look at birthdates you realize certain guys aren't as good as advertised. They were just bigger and stronger then everyone else.

That's why Team USA looks at birth certificates. When picking teams. Not grade level. All these guys leaving high school early to go to college are hold backs.

Bingo. The key is it gives you advantage early especially in HS. Go to AAU tourney and you will laugh when you see certain grades play each other. So many gaming the system. In the end it all works out especially by frosh-soph in college.

I dont know I ain't one of those kids or parents. I'm a late start in school so I was 18 half my senior year.

I love to tell this story about the Junior High School I went to. John Marshall 210.
It was 7th - 9th grade back then. This was back in the day when kids would be left back 2, somtimes 3 years. I had a kid in my 9th grade class going on 18 years old. There is a book written about my school called, " Under Cover Teacher" by George Allen.
I survived:)

Here's wishing you great hoops.

Reactions: BadBucks

Love that Logan. Smooth operator.

Hey,
If one of my son’s was holdback and trained every morning for more than a year. He couldn’t have been great too. Regardless, the kid can play.

The top Fr that I've seen has to go to:
1. Kiku of El Camino
2. Varick
3. Colton Dukes of Atwater
4. Tai-Run Williams of Vanguard College Prep
5. Kodey Weary of Weston Ranch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT