ADVERTISEMENT

Gridley Saturday

Hats off to Riordan, good to see them bounce back right away! I missed the game any highlights to those who watched?

The biggest highlight to Riordan fans should be that Bryce Monroe is looking healthier. I thought that Justice had an excellent all around game hitting 3s, rebounding and defending. Jelani was good as usual and Chimae had a good game as well. Not sure why Riiny didn't play but they won without him.

Reactions: jordan24
Crusader D didn’t give too many open looks to the Branson shooters. Offense was sound and active. Also turnovers and missed possessions were cut down significantly. Crusader lead was a much as 16 points before fouling and some key Branson 3’s made the final score a 10 point win.
Last night’s loss wasn’t quite as bad based on Salesian’s decisive win over #1 NorCal ranked Sheldon.
Interesting that Riiny did not play. Not sure if it was due to injury or simply player matchups.

Reactions: OneDNA
Thanks for your updates Kiddman. What’s your take on the teams in the Tourney this year?

Does someone owe the bracket makers an apology? Asking for a friend.

In all seriousness, I’ll eat my crow hot. I was wrong.

Hi youseechief, that be me. :) I always appreciate you take on things.

It's a very early Tournament, and the most cohesive teams have an edge. If teams don't bring it, they can, and will get beat for sure. I always say, nothing is guaranteed at the GIBT

Gridley is just that kind of tournament. It can be a tough one to win. Remember it took 8 years for some of those loaded Sacramento High teams to finally win the championship. Swafford told me, when he finally won it, it was like winning the State Championship. HA, HA,HA.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: BadBucks
Hi youseechief, that be me. :) I always appreciate you take on things.

It's a very early Tournament, and the most cohesive teams have an edge. If teams don't bring it, they can, and will get beat for sure. I always say, nothing is guaranteed at the GIBT

Gridley is just that kind of tournament. It can be a tough one to win. Remember it took 8 years for some of those loaded Sacramento High teams to finally win the championship. Swafford told me, when he finally won it, it was like winning the State Championship. HA, HA,HA.

Those who ripped the Gridley admin owe an apology for the moaning and groaning. They also owe all of us who wasted our Saturday night watching the stream of that dud of a performance.

Those who ripped the Gridley admin owe an apology for the moaning and groaning. They also owe all of us who wasted our Saturday night watching the stream of that dud of a performance.

youseechief.

Just for information sake. The Gridley administration has nothing to do with any streaming. Nor is the tournament responsible for that streaming.
It is done completely by Dublin Media students, who come and set up there stuff. I personally prefer seeing hoops live.

That being said. Come make the journey up to see us next year. I will put you on the guest list.
If you ask anyone who is familiar with the Hospitality room, they will tell you it is legendary.

Marcskit, the GIBT team, Gridley High and the Gridley community, what a great tournament you have run the past 65 years! Appreciate all your efforts and hospitality to the visiting teams.
Merry Christmas and “here’s wishing you great hoops “!

I guess we have a new #1 in Norcal..... Salesian does so many things well that go unnoticed. They win lose balls, box out, and defensively get after you. And throw that in with a great coach. Season is early but nice win by the pride.

I guess we have a new #1 in Norcal..... Salesian does so many things well that go unnoticed. They win lose balls, box out, and defensively get after you. And throw that in with a great coach. Season is early but nice win by the pride.
Agreed! Watching them Fri, any hoops savant can see they are well coached and fundamentally driven. Season is early, journey is just beginning, but if your getting to those 50-50 balls and D-ing up, you most likely will be playing deep into March.

Wow didn't see that one coming but it's early in the season and all teams have things to improve on
and get better. Salesian and Sheldon will most likely end up meeting again in March.I was
also impressed with riordan beating a good Branson team for 3rd place.dublin played well
Against Logan and st Joe's. I had only seen Branson play a few years ago but man I was impressed
with there team good luck to any D4 teams trying to beat that team they are solid and well
Coached.

Thanks for your updates Kiddman. What’s your take on the teams in the Tourney this year?

Well...

Obviously, Salesian is fantastic... Fast and skilled, and most importantly, locked-in as a group. That "it" factor, chemistry, synergy, whatever ya wanna call it, they HAVE it. That's when a team adds up to more than just the sum of its parts. If they can hold that together (hard to do most of the time). they'll be VERY hard to beat by anyone at any time this season.

Despite the 20-point difference in the Final, Sheldon ain't all that far behind... Might have a bit more overall talent than Salesian, but that hard-to-find "it" factor isn't quite there... Yet. Maybe it'll come, maybe not... If it does, watch the hell out...

Branson did what they do... Super discliplined, definitely more talented than they appear at first glance, a shining example of "Don't judge a book by its cover". They have a good shot at being an Open team... Whatever division they end up in come NorCal playoff time, they'll be super dangerous since Honick and the players will always have multiple days to prepare for games.

Dublin is another with that should get a good look an Open tourney berth if things go well... I like that they are using Beasley as a facilitator more often rather than full-on scoring machine. College scouts will like seeing that, too. Versatility is a good thing... Team has good size, too.

Riordan looked great, too. Superb guard play, but maybe needing a bit more on the front line. Another with a decent shot at making Open.

St. Joe's has one big problem; size. They have very little of it. Not a whole lot of depth, either... Still, they'll find a way to knock off some good teams here and there this season. They have plenty of opportunity for that, they play their usual man-sized schedule outside of league. Of course, the guy patrolling the sidelines will get a ton outa his players no matter what...

Logan is a strange beast at this point... They looked pretty darned good beating an excellent Campolindo team at the Newark tip-off, but have been wildly inconsistent since... And may have some attitude problems on the roster, too. I ain't gonna name any names, tho... NOT my place.

And finally, Gridley. Well, they were in tough like always. They do have a couple decent players, though, and should do at least pretty well once they get back in their own lane.

The tourney itself? Well, if you've never been to this event, make a point of DOING so as soon as possible. The powers-that-be, mostly if not all volunteers, kick butt in making this the Greatest Show On Hardwood!

There you have it, my totally NON-expert analysis...

Plenty of talented teams in NorCal, but it was easy to see the teams and players that know their roles and were willing to execute a well defined game plan.

Salesian and Branson were 2 of the best at playing to their strengths all weekend. Some of the inconsistency from Sheldon, Riordan, Logan and Dublin appeared tied to the fact that they don't yet have a team identity. Too many possessions were free for alls where players did whatever they wanted with no team coordination or buy-in. It's early, and they have plenty of time to figure out their roles and strengths. It will be fun to see how they develop and who ends up on top in the end.

Reactions: SmoothJay
Well...

Obviously, Salesian is fantastic... Fast and skilled, and most importantly, locked-in as a group. That "it" factor, chemistry, synergy, whatever ya wanna call it, they HAVE it. That's when a team adds up to more than just the sum of its parts. If they can hold that together (hard to do most of the time). they'll be VERY hard to beat by anyone at any time this season.

Despite the 20-point difference in the Final, Sheldon ain't all that far behind... Might have a bit more overall talent than Salesian, but that hard-to-find "it" factor isn't quite there... Yet. Maybe it'll come, maybe not... If it does, watch the hell out...

Branson did what they do... Super discliplined, definitely more talented than they appear at first glance, a shining example of "Don't judge a book by its cover". They have a good shot at being an Open team... Whatever division they end up in come NorCal playoff time, they'll be super dangerous since Honick and the players will always have multiple days to prepare for games.

Dublin is another with that should get a good look an Open tourney berth if things go well... I like that they are using Beasley as a facilitator more often rather than full-on scoring machine. College scouts will like seeing that, too. Versatility is a good thing... Team has good size, too.

Riordan looked great, too. Superb guard play, but maybe needing a bit more on the front line. Another with a decent shot at making Open.

St. Joe's has one big problem; size. They have very little of it. Not a whole lot of depth, either... Still, they'll find a way to knock off some good teams here and there this season. They have plenty of opportunity for that, they play their usual man-sized schedule outside of league. Of course, the guy patrolling the sidelines will get a ton outa his players no matter what...

Logan is a strange beast at this point... They looked pretty darned good beating an excellent Campolindo team at the Newark tip-off, but have been wildly inconsistent since... And may have some attitude problems on the roster, too. I ain't gonna name any names, tho... NOT my place.

And finally, Gridley. Well, they were in tough like always. They do have a couple decent players, though, and should do at least pretty well once they get back in their own lane.

The tourney itself? Well, if you've never been to this event, make a point of DOING so as soon as possible. The powers-that-be, mostly if not all volunteers, kick butt in making this the Greatest Show On Hardwood!

There you have it, my totally NON-expert analysis...

Always enjoy your passion and takes on the games. Kiddmann, Newman was scheduled to play St Joes but was cancelled when we had bad air quality. I believe that game was postponed and TBD. I would love to see that. Newman has a couple football kids back now that are making a big difference. The just pounded a good redwood team by 20. That redwood team almost knocked off Branson a couple weeks ago.

Always enjoy your passion and takes on the games. Kiddmann, Newman was scheduled to play St Joes but was cancelled when we had bad air quality. I believe that game was postponed and TBD. I would love to see that. Newman has a couple football kids back now that are making a big difference. The just pounded a good redwood team by 20. That redwood team almost knocked off Branson a couple weeks ago.

Larry, you were invited ;) Can't believe you have never been?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT