ADVERTISEMENT

Hot-Seat

Oct 5, 2022
Way too early speculation at the mid-season point. Which Nor-Cal HS Football HC's are on the hot seat? Or who are we expecting to leave for various other reasons?

How can a high school coach be on the hot seat when there are no coaches to take their place?

Does anyone know of any up & coming high school coaches? Where do high school coaches come from anyway? H.S teachers, Pee Wee football, or do guys just roll out of bed and decide to be a high school coach? I'm only asking because everywhere I look all I hear about are teacher, referee, & coaching shortages.

This is a silly topic about hot seat in high school football. I think the bigger question (for the end of the season) is who is stepping away or retiring than somone forced out.

I agree 100%, high school is not the same as D1 college or pro sports.

so you mean to tell me a coach can lose 10 games a year every year and not be on a hot seat?

so you mean to tell me a coach can lose 10 games a year every year and not be on a hot seat?

See South San Francisco High School and many others around NorCal that just don't have the football participation levels as the top football schools. Winning is not the only goal for high school football programs. Developing young people and assisting the academic program seems to come first. Winning is the bottom line for D1 and pro sports programs.

How many losing high school programs still have their students recruited by D1, D2, or D3 colleges? See Riordan & Sacred Heart Cathedral.

I agree 100%, high school is not the same as D1 college or pro sports.
Yup. Hot seat my arse. I mean most of these guys give countless hours at little pay. It’s one thing to create your own controversy and get asked to move on but for most programs I think schools are delighted to have coaches who want to be there.
If we are talking elite programs well that is different.

Rummer is Merzon might retire. His son's senior year. And they have someone in mind for the job. You can be sure it will be an Oakdale graduate. Since 1959 an Oakdale alumni has coached there. Trent will be hard to replace. He is grower of men. My nephew was out from Texas. He was on Trent's first section championship team. He talked about how he could convince them they can do anything. He said that's why so many of them end up in Marines!

See South San Francisco High School and many others around NorCal that just don't have the football participation levels as the top football schools. Winning is not the only goal for high school football programs. Developing young people and assisting the academic program seems to come first. Winning is the bottom line for D1 and pro sports programs.

How many losing high school programs still have their students recruited by D1, D2, or D3 colleges? See Riordan & Sacred Heart Cathedral.
Define losing HS programs? Both SHC and Riordan (SF Schools) usually are undefeated or have one loss heading into WCAL. Put them in almost any other league in NorCal and they are contenders.

Define losing HS programs? Both SHC and Riordan (SF Schools) usually are undefeated or have one loss heading into WCAL. Put them in almost any other league in NorCal and they are contenders.

But in their league they usually lose, so at the end of the year they usually have a losing record. I consider a losing program a program that finishes with a losing record and hasn't won their league in the past 3-5 years.

I mean no disrespect when I say a losing program.

We could also move a lot of teams to other leagues and they would win or lose more games each year.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
This is why coaching has become a thing of the past for many. Unless you are teaching or on the admin staff of a school, if you add up your time, rides for kids here and there, meals on road trips, you name it, one isn’t making anything. They are actually losing money, but their passion drives them to stick to it. But passion runs thin after all the criticism one sees or hears from sites like this and PARENTS.

I forget the coaches name but he was a famous basketball coach. His classic line was “if you listen to the people sitting behind you, you will be sitting with them one day.”

Hot seat for say the Nebraska coach who just got fired, making 5 million a year and who got millions more in a buyout, yeah that’s news.

High school coaches making passion, LMAO. That this is even a thought.

This is why coaching has become a thing of the past for many. Unless you are teaching or on the admin staff of a school, if you add up your time, rides for kids here and there, meals on road trips, you name it, one isn’t making anything. They are actually losing money, but their passion drives them to stick to it. But passion runs thin after all the criticism one sees or hears from sites like this and PARENTS.

I forget the coaches name but he was a famous basketball coach. His classic line was “if you listen to the people sitting behind you, you will be sitting with them one day.”

Hot seat for say the Nebraska coach who just got fired, making 5 million a year and who got millions more in a buyout, yeah that’s news.

100%

Do you think this has always been the case in coaching and has become more highlighed or have things changed in a sport like football where the demands have exponentially grown?

The landscape of local hs football has changed so much. We never stopped at Indy. We regularly played till mid December. The coaches and players would get 2 weeks off for winter break, we would have a team meeting that 1st Monday back and lifted from that point on.

Typical day for on campus coach (offseason)

Zero Period varsity weights 6AM
-pick up 2 or 3 players for zero period (probably buy them breakfast).

Teach class schedule 730-330

-check on player attendance, grades and misc house cleaning issues.
-drop in on players classes during prep period.
-coordinate w/college recruiters via email, phone and text that are requesting to visit campus and players.
-handle the meetings and introductions for the college coaches/recruiters.

7th period football weights 330-430
-JV and Frosh must lift during this time.
-Drop off 2-3 players at home.

Home around 530-6PM
-film breakdown, practice plan get ready for next day.
-calls home to parents of players that missed school and or weights.
-calls to coaching staff 10-20 mins per call.

Lets say it all together. High school coaches do not get enough credit, leeway, or compensation to deal with all the drama that headcase kids and their parents bring. Lets all appreciate their sacrifices and stop being the negative nancys when your team doesnt meet your expectations.

Lets say it all together. High school coaches do not get enough credit, leeway, or compensation to deal with all the drama that headcase kids and their parents bring. Lets all appreciate their sacrifices and stop being the negative nancys when your team doesnt meet your expectations.
Amen brotha! Amen. I’m grateful to this day for all the wonderful coaches I had in my life. You do make a difference.

Reactions: coachlittle
The landscape of local hs football has changed so much. We never stopped at Indy. We regularly played till mid December. The coaches and players would get 2 weeks off for winter break, we would have a team meeting that 1st Monday back and lifted from that point on.

Typical day for on campus coach (offseason)

Zero Period varsity weights 6AM
-pick up 2 or 3 players for zero period (probably buy them breakfast).

Teach class schedule 730-330

-check on player attendance, grades and misc house cleaning issues.
-drop in on players classes during prep period.
-coordinate w/college recruiters via email, phone and text that are requesting to visit campus and players.
-handle the meetings and introductions for the college coaches/recruiters.

7th period football weights 330-430
-JV and Frosh must lift during this time.
-Drop off 2-3 players at home.

Home around 530-6PM
-film breakdown, practice plan get ready for next day.
-calls home to parents of players that missed school and or weights.
-calls to coaching staff 10-20 mins per call.
Thanks for sharing that schedule. No rest on a given day or even a given month. In your opinion, is there an aspect or two of the job that has incerased? For example, more year round conditioning?

This is a silly topic about hot seat in high school football.

Color me skeptical that someone brand new joined this website on Wednesday and their immediate order of business was to start a new thread because they just had to pose this question to a bunch of strangers.

Spidey-sense should be tingling for everyone on this. Someone started another burner account.

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
Streak,

I think there are more adults outside of the program that are trying to come in to contact with your players. Some are positive, and some are negative, most of them are trying to make a dollar off of your player even if their heart is in the right place. It's a full time job just handling that process now at a school like Indy.

I can tell you that the best programs are all year around and have been for a while, not to mention all of the 7on7 and private training that has really increased a players work load. We had to worry about outsiders charging our kids for really bad advice and poor coaching. The policing of keeping the leaches away really sucks. I think the access the kids and parents have as tools to get a scholarship is great but it's a dbl edge sword. Rt now you have more kids and parents ever trying to get their kid a scholarship, but you also have more people trying to capitalize off of it. I think their are good coaches that are really burnt out of doing everything the hard way.

I know there is more that can been added to but unfortunately I don't get paid to text on NCP for work 😕 I will think of more to add later.

Reactions: THEOC89
Color me skeptical that someone brand new joined this website on Wednesday and their immediate order of business was to start a new thread because they just had to pose this question to a bunch of strangers.

Spidey-sense should be tingling for everyone on this. Someone started another burner account.
HA!!…. All we are missing is “DLS needs to fire their Coach” and “Serra needs to fire their OC”…. 🤣🤣

I can tell you that the best programs are all year around and have been for a while, not to mention all of the 7on7 and private training that has really increased a players work load.

In my experience the “year-around” thing started to gain steam back in the 90’s for some and around 2005ish for most others. Clearly the earliest adopters were doing it even earlier in the 80’s and perhaps even back in the 70’s. But it was far from mainstream.

While far from the only sign, a fairly significant sign of this change was if/when a HS program developed a true feeder program at the youth level. Those that did so typically had already adopted a year-around philosophy.

When I played Varsity (and later coached at Casa Roble right out of HS) from 87-91 under Steve Kenyon, Norm Ryan and Terry Stark, we had year-around weight training, conditioning, 7on7, and football classes.

Kenyon developed his SST program that some area programs began adopting in the 1990’s and 2000’s and I believe our teams were among his early test subjects. IDK what he was doing at Encina before he arrived at Casa. But I know he employed his system at Del Campo after leaving CR.

But neither program was connected to a feeder youth system until a long while later.

Last edited:
I know Mira Loma was doing plyos and explosive lifts (cleans, front squats, box jumps and agility) in the 60's before many did any lifting at all, they might have been the 1st to do it if you ask the ML OG's. Kenyon started the SST method at Casa but I'm sure he was doing some of it at Encina it just wasn't tokened yet.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I know Mira Loma was doing plyos and explosive lifts (cleans, front squats, box jumps and agility) in the 60's before many did any lifting at all, they might have been the 1st to do it if you ask the ML OG's. Kenyon started the SST method at Casa but I'm sure he was doing some of it at Encina it just wasn't tokened yet.

Re: ML, that totally makes sense.

I suspect that Cordova was also doing something similar in the late 60’s and throughout the 70’s under Dewey Guerra and Ron Lancaster and probably so were Placer (under Bill Miller and Tom Johnson) and Hilmar (under Jerry Van Lengen).

As you alluded to, whomever was an elite program at the time was likely employing some if not all of these activities

With regard to youth feeder programs, Nevada Union was among the 1st I ever knew about that was teaching and running their system from bottom to top.

Same, NU was the 1st I heard of. I remember being 5 or 6yrs old and watching the JR Miners play at Casa running the Wing t. They must have been playing the Citrus Heights or Fair Oaks Dolphins back then?

Re: ML, that totally makes sense.

I suspect that Cordova was also doing something similar in the late 60’s and throughout the 70’s under Dewey Guerra and Ron Lancaster and probably so were Placer (under Bill Miller and Tom Johnson) and Hilmar (under Jerry Van Lengen).

As you alluded to, whomever was an elite program at the time was likely employing some if not all of these activities

With regard to youth feeder programs, Nevada Union was among the 1st I ever knew about that was teaching and running their system from bottom to top.
To me that is the advantage Oakdale has. They run the" system " in Stampede. So in high school they have the " system " down.

Same, NU was the 1st I heard of. I remember being 5 or 6yrs old and watching the JR Miners play at Casa running the Wing t. They must have been playing the Citrus Heights or Fair Oaks Dolphins back then?

Haha. Yep I remember some of those "pop warner" team names.

Citrus Heights Dolphins and Sunrise Chiefs (IIRC) were the two I recall knowing about back then.

Unfortunately my parents and I never knew about them early enough to get me started with it. I played flag football from 5th grade though 8th grade. I always regretted not being prepared for tackle football starting out as a freshman. It really sets you back, especially against kids that have played youth/pop warner for a few years.

I try my best to educate parents to get their kids involved with youth for at least 1 season prior to HS. 2 seasons is ideal IMO. I know many are reticent to expose their kids to tackle football at a young age, which I certainly understand. But in my experience most kids take half a season or more to get used to contact and it's much easier (and safer IMO) to expose them when most the kids are smaller, slower and not quite as experienced and aggressive.

Circling back to the pop warner team names, I don't recall the mascot name of the Fair Oaks team.

Reactions: mistark
Oakdale's advantage is the community. They won't settle for excuses, just hard work. I love their system, we ran the same but our system just like there's is overrated. It's about the coaches, the kids and the parents imo.

I think the Citrus Heights Dolphins became the Fair Oaks Dolphins who then morphed into the DC jr Cougars. BV started the Fari Oaks Broncos around the same time the Dolphins became the Jr Cougars.

I think the Citrus Heights Dolphins became the Fair Oaks Dolphins who then morphed into the DC jr Cougars. BV started the Fari Oaks Broncos around the same time the Dolphins became the Jr Cougars.

Casa Roble was very late to affiliate with a youth program. IIRC it was "around" 2009 or 2010 when the Jr. Rams program was started up.

They used to have the unaffiliated Orangevale Huskies that played their games at Newman Field, but that team became the Oakmont Jr. Vikings by the mid-2000's IIRC.

Pretty much all the rival programs and schools close in proximity to CR were firmly on the affiliated youth program train before they were. Del Campo, Bella Vista, Oakmont, Roseville, Folsom and Granite Bay.

To me that is the advantage Oakdale has. They run the" system " in Stampede. So in high school they have the " system " down.

Oakdale's advantage is the community. They won't settle for excuses, just hard work. I love their system, we ran the same but our system just like there's is overrated. It's about the coaches, the kids and the parents imo.

I agree with Miles on this one. While their system is a nice component, the coaching and community are top notch and what separates them from others built like them.

Reactions: mistark
Been a HC twice. Off-campus both times. Winning games was never part of the requirements for evaluation, winning was not expected. Both places had long history of losing. 6 years total as a HC and only ever had 1 end of season evaluation. You should treasure those schools that do value performance.

Been a HC twice. Off-campus both times. Winning games was never part of the requirements for evaluation, winning was not expected. Both places had long history of losing. 6 years total as a HC and only ever had 1 end of season evaluation. You should treasure those schools that do value performance.
if my son played for a coach or a school that said losing was appropriate. i am in line at de la salle and my ebt card quick fast and in a hurry

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT