ADVERTISEMENT

How will San Benito be this year?

Hollister's senior and junior classes are down for this upcoming season (as opposed to last season when they had a strong senior class) but they tend to move players up that are younger to give them experience. They brought up a soph Slade Wilson that was backup last season (to a very good Hiunter Raquet) that will be the QB this season. They lost some really good players and I think overall defense should be sound as always, and they typically spread the ball round to different RBs with exception they lost Hunter Nye who was a stud RB (one of the better RBs in the section last year). They lost a good group this last season but Johnny Gonzales is pretty good and returns at RB ( alittle experirnce). Adam Mendoza and Giovanni Gionnota were the 4th and 5th receivers will be back. They return two of their LBs but lose lots of line (Return all MBAL GAB OL Daniel Pasillas). I think Palma will be a little better (but not a given) and Salinas definitely will be favored. MBAL Gab is down this year with exception of Salinas. Aptos will be down as well. I think it will be another one or two years before the MBAL GAB has 3-4 competitive playoff teams (this year only one with exception Palma will compete in lower division if VC isn't there). The team that could be really good in a couple years is Alvarez with some very talented sophs (and Palma again and Hollister will rebound). Seaside joins the league and they should be competitive.

In non-league games I think Hollister will defeat Sacred Heart Prep (who will be down), and Los Gatos should be favored if they have a passing attack and still looking at Wilcox. Hollister will be good at stopping the run on defense and offense may not be as balanced this year but have a couple WRs and a RB. I think Salinas is favorite, Palma #2 (slightly but could change), Hollister a close #3 , and then its open. Aptos lost alot but great coach so always could challenge so probably a #4 but was down in underclass. Alvarez will have some athletes but tend to lose against the disciplined teams - they could break into top 3-4. They could surprise in league with exception Salinas is favored. Seaside is back in the league up from MBAL Pacific has some athletes but tends to lack depth. MVC looks like they will be down but that passing attack can give some teams problems. North Salinas is yyoung but has some athletes....lacks depth. I think MBAL Gab will be at a level lower than last season with exception of Salinas who will be better than they were last season. The Cowboys should be a good matchup against Oak Grove and Milpitas (who they lost 9-3 last season). If the soph starts, he could really make it tough for teams to defend because he can wing it anywhere and accurately and they have some good RBs this year. Last years starter is pretty good but not the potential as the soph. He is a good HS QB and Salinas will be good even if he starts but the soph even though inexperienced could get them to a higher level. If Salinas plays good defense, they could be a very tough team this year. I'll provide a preview of the MBAL Gab closer to the season start.

Last edited:
There will likely be a clear divide in the Gab between the top 4 (Salinas/Palma/Aptos/Hollister in some order) and bottom 4 (Alvarez/MVC/North Salinas/Seaside in some order). Reminds me of the SCVAL where Milpitas, Los Gatos, Paly, and Wilcox almost always finish in the top 4.

Thank you Both! Wut kind of Offenses does San Benito, Palma, Salinas and Los Gatos Run? Does Los Gatos & San Benito Schedule Out of Section Games?

San Benito runs Flexbone Triple Option Offense
Palma basically runs Stanford offense...pro set with zone blocking, lots of unbalanced lines and trapping and spread, and some Fly
Salinas is spread but in past years ran Triple Option and might run more with new HC who coached at Hollister and North Salinas (a Palma alumni).
Los Gatos I though ran a pro-set offense and some spread I believe. I haven't analyzed their offense recently. Will have to look at film.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
I'm seeing the balers being in good shape on defense they actually have 5 returning players that were a big part to thier success last year as well as some components of the offensive line that played last year in rotation. They made some position coaching changes this year that I believe will have a positive effect with the personal they are working with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT