ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Beat Live Oak to Advance

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Sacred Heart Cathedral beat Live Oak 20-0 today to advance to the second round of the CCS Open Division III playoffs. Irish will play Sacred Heart Prep at SH Prep on Saturday, November 24 at 1pm, after the Gators beat St. Ignatius 13-7. SI finishes at 3-8.

Irish took the opening kick and advanced to the LO 31 when Anthony Heard ran in a 31-yard TD. PAT was good. Irish lead 7-0.

Irish turned the ball over on downs in the second quarter with Live Oak taking over on their own 21.
After an exchange of possessions, SHC punted to LO with the ball on the Acorns' 12 yard line with a minute to go in the first half. Cian Dowling hit a 6 yard pass to Danilo Ruiz for a TD. PAT was good. SHC lead 14-0 at the half. Irish held Live Oak to 84 yards in the first half. Anthony Heard had 84 yards rushing in the half.

Third Quarter: Live Oak received the kickoff and both teams exchanged possession on punts on their first drives... and second drives. With less than a minute in the quarter, Cian Dowling connected with LeVar Watkins on a 15-yard pass for a TD. PAT was tipped. SHC lead 20-0.

In the Fourth: LO started a drive with a pass for a first down at the SHC 49. Acorns eventually turned the ball over on downs. SHC had possession at their own 43. Heard had a 21-yard run called back thanks to a flag. Ball turned over on downs with 6:45 left in the game. On LO's next possession, they also turned the ball over on downs with less than 6 minutes left. After a batted Dowling pass, Irish missed a 38-yard field goal attempt and Live Oak took possession at their own 30 with 4 minutes to go in the game. Live Oak couldn't advance, so they punted to the Irish with 3 minutes to go.

Irish punted back to LO at the Acorn 28 with under a minute to go.

Irish WIN 20-0. This was the first time Live Oak was shutout this season.

Last edited:
Thanks Irish_Cheers as was waiting for an update on this one. The 2 games I really wanted to see were S.I.-SHP & SHC-Live Oak & none of WCAL games televised, Damn!'

So S.I. fell short of my expectation upset & the SHC Irish answer the Bell and come out slugging! What a solid victory for the Irish as well as retribution for last season's exit from the first round of playoffs at the hands of the Acorns.
I would say that as of now the SHC season is a success as they did what last year's team WITH Will Irons could not do & that is a huge improvement in team status to move onto the semi-final with a solid chance against the SHP Gators.
From disappointment a season ago to a 20-0 shut-out is simply HUGE! I know the fans who were able to attend the game really enjoyed the outcome. Congrats Irish!

Thanks Irish_Cheers as was waiting for an update on this one. The 2 games I really wanted to see were S.I.-SHP & SHC-Live Oak & none of WCAL games televised, Damn!'

So S.I. fell short of my expectation upset & the SHC Irish answer the Bell and come out slugging! What a solid victory for the Irish as well as retribution for last season's exit from the first round of playoffs at the hands of the Acorns.
I would say that as of now the SHC season is a success as they did what last year's team WITH Will Irons could not do & that is a huge improvement in team status to move onto the semi-final with a solid chance against the SHP Gators.
From disappointment a season ago to a 20-0 shut-out is simply HUGE! I know the fans who were able to attend the game really enjoyed the outcome. Congrats Irish!

RMBR, Irons played the last four or five games last year with a broken bone in his right hand which caused his throwing to be erratic. He toughed it out but it definitely had an effect in that playoff game. He wore a cast for 2 months after. Nice win for the Irish tonight!

RMBR, Irons played the last four or five games last year with a broken bone in his right hand which caused his throwing to be erratic. He toughed it out but it definitely had an effect in that playoff game. He wore a cast for 2 months after. Nice win for the Irish tonight!
I didn't know about that fractured bone in his right hand. It was good to get back at LO and the blizzard of flags from the refs because of last year. SHC was the only team to shut them out this season.

As for "The best 3-8 team in the country", maybe SI should play that other 3-win team, Half Moon Bay and see who wins.

Last edited:
Irish why is it every time that SHC loses it is tgecrefs fault fofor throwing all the flags.

Just so you know the refs from last years game were refs the Irish were familiar with as most of them did at least three Irish games last year.

You bellyaching every time SHC loses and blaming the refs is starting to get old. Until you get down there and don the stripes you should refrain from commenting about the officiating of a game.

Until you get down there and don the stripes you should refrain from commenting about the officiating of a game.

I don't have to be a ref to know a bad call when I see one (Just as I don't need to be a mechanic to know when a car needs washing). Same for obvious holding calls that get no flags. A baseball ump once called one of our runners out who was clearly safe at first by a step and it cost us the game. Another player got hit by a pitch and the ump didn't call it.
Sorry, but I'm not one to just smile and say "Oh well, that's the breaks".
BTW, I've also been known to say "good call" more than once, especially in basketball, so it's not any "bellyaching".
Guess what? Sometimes it is the refs. Even you were out there once when SHC's JV's were routing the other team and I overheard you talking to someone else after the game mentioning looking for a reason to throw a flag just to keep the score down. Referees are not sacrosanct.

Last edited:
You are totally wrong in your statement. You obviously HAVE ZERO CLUE as to what it takes to be an official. Because what you may perceive as a bad call is actually the correct call.

Like I said your only excuse when the Irish lose at any sport is it is the refs making a bad call.

I challenge you to ref a sport for a season but you are not going to do that cause you like putting blame on the refs for making bad calls when you probably do not even know why a call was made in the first place. It goes against the Irish and it is a bad call by the refs.

Rather than be part of the problem and bitch about the reffing, become part of the solution and try officiating a sport.

You are part of the problem with high school sports and why officials quit and no longer officiate sports. Be part of the solution but it will probably be a cold day in hell before you are there working as a ref.

Frankly your whining about the refs is getting old and it is just becoming so lame at this point. So please stop bashing refs WHEN YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what is going on.

Like I said put your money where your mouth is and officiate a sport for a season and your perspective will definitely change.

Officiating is not easy, no matter the level of the sport. At the prep level, most of the refs are not professionals; they are amateurs like the rest of us. They officiate for a variety of reasons: They want to stay connected to competitive athletics; they could use some extra cash and get some exercise; they want to facilitate the contests; they believe in fair competition. These men and women are walk-ons, like many of the coaches themselves. Reffing is not their actual profession. They have day jobs. To be honest, they are subject to review by their peers but there are so few of them that firing an incompetent individual is done only reluctantly. But the truly awful don't last anyway. They don't want to be bad. They try to improve. Reasonable criticism is fine. Dwelling on the refs is counter-productive.

Colhenry well said but everytime the Irish lose, it is the refs fault according to Cheers. And frankly, it gets tiring to see him write this everytime they lose, and his comments about officiating and how easy it is are totally ignorant. Sorry but unless so.eone has spent time officiating they would never blame the refs when their team loses and 99% of the time when SHC loses Cheers automatically blames the refs. Yet when they win he does not govern praise to the refs, (and as refs we do not look for praise), matter of fact if refs are cited as cause for winning or losing, then they have not done their job properly. That is one of the first lessons of becoming an official is do not make yourself ty he center of attraction.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT