ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Win Bruce-Mahoney Trophy

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Sacred Heart Cathedral beat SI 2-1 to win the Bruce-Mahoney Trophy.

First: SI went 1-2-3 in the first inning. SHC's Keshawn Ogans beat-out an infield grounder for a base hit, but got doubled-up on a line-out to third. A grounder to SS ended it.

Second: SI went quietly with a fly ball, a strikeout and a groundout. SHC had almost a replay of the first, this time with a walk, another line-out to third which doubled-up the runner, followed by a groundout to first.

Third: Both teams scored in this inning. SI started-off with a strikeout, a double to left field, a fly ball out then another double to take a 1-0 lead. The next batter singled but the runner at third was nailed at the plate by two feet. SHC tied it with a double by Eric Casillas, then after yet another line-out to third, a walk and a fly ball to left, Jack McDowell singled-in the run to tie the game at 1-1.

Fourth: SI had a two-out double but not much else. SHC singled to SS and the overthrow at first advanced him to second. Another walk and a sac bunt put runners at first and third with one out. An intentional walk loaded the bases but a strikeout and a groundout ended the rally.

Fifth: Nothing across for either team.

Sixth: 1-2-3 for SI. SHC had a hit batter, followed by a double play, another walk and the next batter looked to me like he got hit with the pitch but he didn't go to first. On that play, the runner advanced to second, then to third on a wild pitch. After an intentional pass to the player I thought got hit by the pitch in the first place, the next batter grounded out to SS to end the inning.

Seventh: SI had a walk, followed by a double-play started at third and a fly ball out to right. SHC's Jack McDowell smoked a double to open the bottom of the inning. A Keshawn Ogans bunt moved the runner to third with no play at first. Marty Cole was intentionally walked to load the bases, then after two strikes the pitcher uncorked a wild pitch which allowed the winning run to score.

Maybe 4000 in attendance. They charged full-price for concessions. I passed on the $8.50 Coke.

Last edited:
Aside from SH winning the BM trophy this year, you cannot ask for a better competitive match like the football and baseball games. Both teams playing pretty much to the very end with the outcome literally on the last play of the game. This is what rivalries are supposed to be. As much as I enjoy this win for SH, I know since the mid 70s this has not been really a rivalry. Its been one-sided. I don't see any balance of power until the girls teams get added to the series.

Great job by the teams lead by the seniors. You kids deserve this moment. Go Irish!

True. Look at the history of the winning side, since S.I. left Stanyan Street to the Sunset in I believe 1971.

True. Look at the history of the winning side, since S.I. left Stanyan Street to the Sunset in I believe 1971.

Im dating myself here, but the 100 year anniversary game, our Walkathon t-shirt had "The Thinker" with high-tops that had a very small "Beat SI" on the shoes. The SI t-shirt had a Wildcat eating shamrocks or something with the tagline "100 years of Catfood". There you have the difference in how lop-sided its been.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT