ADVERTISEMENT

Is D1 really easier than the Open?

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
So Mitty, with the No. 1 player in the nation, is the 800-pound gorilla, but as Pinewood discovered last year, some fouls calls and an injury can change things.

Granted that beating Mitty is a tall order, but to win the Open takes three wins -- on a Wednesday, a Saturday and a Tuesday.

To win D1, it takes four wins -- and none of them will be easy. Plus, consider the schedule:

Most D1 teams will have played Friday or Saturday. They then must win Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and the following Tuesday to win D1. And any team in the bottom half of the bracket is traveling, possibly long distances, Tuesday night, and then must drive home before the players get to bed before going to school the next morning. Even more daunting would be the task facing a team that's looking at road games Tuesday and Thursday -- again, against quality opposition.

A team that plays this Saturday night would have to play five games in eight days just to get to the D1 finals -- and then turn around and play another game the next Tuesday.

So obviously it's a clear advantage to be a top four seed in D1, but regardless, that's going to be a very tough road.

Clearly, beating Mitty isn't easy either, but I don't know that it's going to be that much easier to win D1.

Heritage, Carondelet, BOD, Miramonte, SJND, Salesian ... to name six. I thought the SJS finals were on Saturday too, but I don't know for sure.

Heritage, Carondelet, BOD, Miramonte, SJND, Salesian ... to name six. I thought the SJS finals were on Saturday too, but I don't know for sure.
SJS D2, D4 and D6 finals are today. D1, D3 and D5 Saturday.

I meant D1 norcals. Carondelet, Salesian and Miramonte will probably be in open.

Yes, I would agree that Division 1 will be very difficult.

Trying to guess who goes where is pointless. Last year, West Campus was a 5 seed in D3 after some thought they could wind up in the open with 2 Division 1 players and a section title. Pleasant Valley ended up in D2 with a win over open Folsom and a high SOS. James logan on the other hand was a 5 seed in their section without a section win and got bumped into D1 while dublin a division 1 school with 25 wins was bumped down to D3. Sunday should be interesting.

I'd re-frame the either/or easier/harder discussion as both/and fun and competitive. equity assignment has made it so teams get to face roughly equal competition for the rest of their seasons. given the unequal distribution of talent/resources in girls' basketball, most teams play a lot of games that are mismatches. from here on in, they're all winnable--or losable. in each round, half of the teams will have the opportunity to play well and lose--not such a bad way to end your season.

Last edited:
So Mitty, with the No. 1 player in the nation, is the 800-pound gorilla, but as Pinewood discovered last year, some fouls calls and an injury can change things.

Granted that beating Mitty is a tall order, but to win the Open takes three wins -- on a Wednesday, a Saturday and a Tuesday.

To win D1, it takes four wins -- and none of them will be easy. Plus, consider the schedule:

Most D1 teams will have played Friday or Saturday. They then must win Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and the following Tuesday to win D1. And any team in the bottom half of the bracket is traveling, possibly long distances, Tuesday night, and then must drive home before the players get to bed before going to school the next morning. Even more daunting would be the task facing a team that's looking at road games Tuesday and Thursday -- again, against quality opposition.

A team that plays this Saturday night would have to play five games in eight days just to get to the D1 finals -- and then turn around and play another game the next Tuesday.

So obviously it's a clear advantage to be a top four seed in D1, but regardless, that's going to be a very tough road.

Clearly, beating Mitty isn't easy either, but I don't know that it's going to be that much easier to win D1.

those are some great points CLAYK....

if these were NCAA games with these scenarios there would be some serious "play against" betting angles on the losers in tomorrows championship games (that end up in D1)...short turnaround after emotionally charged game....I'm curious to see if this actually plays out with the results on tues.

Either way I think its an astute observation

This is an interesting discussion that involves where you are seeded in each bracket.

This is a subjective point, but the energy around Open games is just different than anything else in NorCal and thus I think is harder to win three of those compared to four in D1.

However, with competitive equity, D1 is closer than it used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT