ADVERTISEMENT

Just a couple very-early comments

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Off and running again... In a little over a week, I've attended 18 games plus a foundation-game non-counter... Have seen O'Dowd twice (plus the foundation game at DLS), Folsom and Modesto Christian, three faves for NorCal Open. All awesome, but if I were forced to bet right now, I'd go with O'Dowd. However...

I haven't seen Mitty or Salesian yet, but I'll be at Gridley this week to remedy that situation... :)

Couple teams sliding in under the radar: Campolindo. Despite lack of size, they are 3-0 and look like they'll be a tough out for just about anybody (though their league, with LL and CVC, looks pretty tough). They play hard and together, both ends of the court. May have guys coming back eventually from football after that juggernaut is done, but I don't know.

Gee, look who's back, Branson. 4-0, two super-easy wins against not-so-hot opponents, then delivering Woodside Priory and Stuart Hall their only losses, both by double digits.

Riordan has hit the ground running, with two blowout wins and an OT win over HMB. Just a little more evidence that the WCAL is going to be a total war zone this year...

Speaking of HMB, they may have (allegedly) unjustly fired their legendary coach, but they ain't dead yet... I'll be there for their battle v. Paly (where said former coach is now an assistant) tomorrow in the Burlingame tournament.

Oh, from the Captain Obvious dep't... Jalen Green of San Joaquin Memorial is a total BEAST! He's only a sophomore and already looks to me like a total one-and-done type megastar (if that rule even still exists by then). Do NOT miss out seeing this kid play! (like, for example, in the upcoming Modesto Christian Holiday Shootout).

Off and running again... In a little over a week, I've attended 18 games plus a foundation-game non-counter... Have seen O'Dowd twice (plus the foundation game at DLS), Folsom and Modesto Christian, three faves for NorCal Open. All awesome, but if I were forced to bet right now, I'd go with O'Dowd. However...

I haven't seen Mitty or Salesian yet, but I'll be at Gridley this week to remedy that situation... :)

Couple teams sliding in under the radar: Campolindo. Despite lack of size, they are 3-0 and look like they'll be a tough out for just about anybody (though their league, with LL and CVC, looks pretty tough). They play hard and together, both ends of the court. May have guys coming back eventually from football after that juggernaut is done, but I don't know.

Gee, look who's back, Branson. 4-0, two super-easy wins against not-so-hot opponents, then delivering Woodside Priory and Stuart Hall their only losses, both by double digits.

Riordan has hit the ground running, with two blowout wins and an OT win over HMB. Just a little more evidence that the WCAL is going to be a total war zone this year...

Speaking of HMB, they may have (allegedly) unjustly fired their legendary coach, but they ain't dead yet... I'll be there for their battle v. Paly (where said former coach is now an assistant) tomorrow in the Burlingame tournament.

Oh, from the Captain Obvious dep't... Jalen Green of San Joaquin Memorial is a total BEAST! He's only a sophomore and already looks to me like a total one-and-done type megastar (if that rule even still exists by then). Do NOT miss out seeing this kid play! (like, for example, in the upcoming Modesto Christian Holiday Shootout).
I saw Branson first hand this weekend. They dominated from start to finish in that tournament like you said including Woodside and Stuart Hall who both looked solid as well until they ran into Branson. Gotta be early favorites to repeat as D-V champs.

Further:

Due to just how good O'Dowd has looked thus far (and the fact DLS played 'em fairly tough in their foundation game), I should probably raise my previous fairly negative opinion on DLS a little bit. I still think they'll struggle against top-tier teams, but the Spartans will probably do a good bit more winning than I thought...

Here's a thought re DLS: Since a typical basketball player (other than the point guard) has the ball in his hands maybe 5 percent of the time, playing without the ball on both offense and defense becomes a huge ingredient in a team's success. DLS coaches teach this skill very, very well. It can make up for a lot of flamboyant flash and dash on offense for sure.

Another team to watch out for: Alameda. Right now, they're 4-0, and I saw them in person take down my St. Joe's Pilots by 13 in the Island Classic. They have athletes and pretty good size. One of their other wins was over College Park, another team that appears to be quite improved over last year's model.

Alameda plays at DLS on 12/13, should be a good barometer for both teams.

Reactions: nostancenochance
Riordan lost last night to a really good looking University team, Spencer Spivy is one of the top guard in NorCal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT