ADVERTISEMENT

Just spotted this for MLK Day...

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Maxpreps MLK Classic (McKeon Pavilion @ St. Mary’s College – 1/16/17)

* Rancho Mirage vs. Manteca, 10 am
* Newark Memorial vs. Modesto Christian, 11:45 am
* Moreau Catholic (Hayward) vs. Jesuit (Carmichael), 1:30 pm
* Salesian (Richmond) vs. St. John Bosco (Bellflower), 3:15 pm
* De La Salle (Concord) vs. Harvard-Westlake (North Hollywood), 5 pm
* Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) vs. Capital Christian (Sacramento), 6:45 pm

Great lineup... Interesting that the event is at SMC rather than Cal.

It is interesting. I know DLS has hosted playoff games here before so there is a good relationship there.

Always a very good showcase.

Reactions: eastbayreveiw
This event actually used to be at St. Mary's at least for a few years in the mid-00's... remember watching Ryan Anderson drop about 30 on a very good (but undersized) San Leandro team back in 05 or 06 there.

One thing Cal needs to do with their arena... Get a scoreboard system that doesn't drive operators nuts. I remember them having trouble during the DLS event last year, and having TONS of trouble during the Oakland-Chicago event last year. I think there was even some trouble during the state title games two years ago, and I seem to remember even some minor delays during some Cal games last year. Most of these goofups involved the shot clock, but not all.

Of course, they could just do away with the shot clock altogether... I wouldn't miss it a bit. But that's another discussion. :)

I didn't know this MLK event was ever at St. Mary's because that was during my 18 years of living in shotclock-free Oregon.

I would rather watch the game at St Mary's. Awesome atmosphere for HS basketball and less of a nightmare to park. I've been to at least the last 10 and I don't ever remember it being at St Marys. Must have been before that. Can't wait to see Salesian play and Capital Christian is loaded.

2005 and 2006 were there for sure... did not go in 2004 or before, and can't quite recall 2007.

2005 was a really strong field, it had Santa Cruz High (Cliff Sammett, Junior Russell state champ team) vs. O'Dowd (Jesse Byrd team), Berkeley High (Dior Lowhorn) vs. Mack, Newark (Kyle Spain, Trae Clark team) vs. DLS (Theo Robertson).

Only game from 2006 I can recall is Oakridge with Ryan Anderson against San Leandro.

Ok Gentlemen, here is the history of the MLK

I have blessed to have gone to every MLK event since it's inception
The first one was at St Mary's on Jan 19th 1998. It continued there for the next 10 years.
In 2008 it moved to Hass Pavillion for the next 8 years.
The first one was sparsley attended , mostly DLS students , familly and friends, and Hoopaholics like me.
The next several years, it grew to almost standing room only. I believe this is why it finally found a home at Hass Pavillion.
Move to present day, and you have several MLK events that have cut into the event at Hass.
This is why I believe we will be watching at St Mary's this year.
I have all the programs from the years. If you have any particular questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Some Noted players from the first years program.
Defending state champions Berkeley Girls- Aisha Hollans ( a real eye opener)
Saint Francis- Senque Carey - How smooth was he !!
Woodside- ( Coached by Darrell Barbour )
Monte Vista (Nick Jones Point guard :)
San Ramon- Phil Jackman- another really nice player went to Princeton
McClymonds- Derrell Tucker They won the Gridley Invitational that year
De La Salle- Loaded Joe See, A. J. Kuhle, Casey Cortez, Chris Schlatter, some of this team won state, two years later
Jesuit Cedrick Barrow, Roy Stigall, would lose to DLS in Norcals following year.

Freemont Of Oakland, Josh Shavies, Marcus Malone, They would win the state championship the next year.
Here's wishing you great hoops!

Ok Gentlemen, here is the history of the MLK...

... The first one was sparsley attended , mostly DLS students , familly and friends, and Hoopaholics like me.
The next several years, it grew to almost standing room only. I believe this is why it finally found a home at Hass Pavillion.
Move to present day, and you have several MLK events that have cut into the event at Hass.
This is why I believe we will be watching at St Mary's this year...

Another observation, just that in general HS hoops attendance has dropped just about everywhere... Concerns me more than a little bit.

Attendance was dropping the last few years I lived in Oregon, too. I've even noticed a lot of emptyish gyms watching YouTube replays of games from all over the country during this past offseason.

Even in Indiana, for crying out loud... That used to be a place where season tix for the local HS were treasured, often passed down from generation to generation, even in a few cases the central objects of divorce squabbles, etc. Now only the bigger games fill up HS gyms there.

Great info Marcskit. Can you tell me what the other games were in 2006 besides Oakridge-San Leandro?

Thanks.

Great info Marcskit. Can you tell me what the other games were in 2006 besides Oakridge-San Leandro?

Thanks.
Yes I can.
There was Pinole Valley, coached by Mark De Luca :) They beat St. Mary's Berkeley who had the very young Brew brothers.
Bishop O'dowd and Newark
De La Salle and McClymonds
The two girls games were- Alhambra- El Cerrito and Carondelet - Northgate

That DLS team with Joe See was one of the finest all around teams I've seen from this area. I was at that DLS vs Clovis West champ game. Just great HS hoops.

Great post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT